not too late

A bit late

 

 


---

 

 

 

 

 

It was almost Christmas and the SHINee members were busy preparing the dorm for an upcoming party. It’s not that big and glamorous but the dorm omma wouldn’t want anything less than perfect.

 

 

 

“Geez Kibum, It’s just Infinite coming over.” Jonghyun whined as he put on the lights by the window with the help of Onew.

“You know how much Key wanted to impress his boyfriend so just follow him or else you won’t get dinner later.” Onew reminded the singer who blinked then let out a loud sigh.

“I better learn how to cook from now on.” Jonghyun commented which made Onew laugh a little.

“I heard that Kim Jonghyun.” Key ‘s voice echoed inside the dorm, sending chills down the singer’s spine.

“God I need to get away from him.” Jonghyun said and the leader gave him a knowing smile.

“You know you can’t, he’s your best friend.” Onew remarked as he handed another piece of Christmas lights to the singer.

 

 


---

 

 

 

 

 

It was past 8 in the evening when they heard a knock from the front door. Key went to answer it and soon the dorm was filled with loud voices. The other four were all in the living room, waiting for their guests; Jinki’s back was visible from the front door. The guests entered and soon took their seats by the floor, a habit they’re accustomed to when they visit each other.

 

 

 

A pair of warm arms wrapped around the SHINee leader and took him by surprise. Jinki smiled and turned to look at the cutest thing ever, Sunggyu was smiling back at him and sporting a new hair cut. Jinki broke from the back hug and smiled at the other leader.

“GYU!!!!” He shouted as he hugged the leader. “You did it.” He remarked and Sunggyu laughed heartily. “Yeah I did it.” Sunggyu replied, returning the hug.

What, when, where, why and how…

The others were clueless of what the two were saying but they were enjoying the display of affection (little did the leaders know, the others were secretly shipping and praying for them to be together).

“Okay… Are you going to just hug there or are we going to party?” Key asked in an irritated tone but was smiling widely.

“Sorry, got too excited. Yeah, let’s eat. I’m sure all of you would want to taste Key’s feast. And mind you, prepare the compliments or no dessert.” Onew joked and Sunggyu laughed at it, earning a cringed looks on the other members.

But Onew wasn’t really joking about the feast, or the fact that Key demanded everyone to tell him how good the food was or else, no freaking dessert. They came up with all the greasy and cheesy lines they got from Woohyun and Key happily served them with Coffee crumble and pistachio ice cream.

“You’re the best baby.” Woohyun said before planting a kiss on his boyfriend’s lips. “Thank you.” Key replied with a blush.

 

 


---

 

 

 

 

 

After dinner, they gathered yet again in the middle of the living room floor for some karaoke fun. They were singing in pairs and trio and were partying like there’s no tomorrow. Amidst the fun and loud singing, Jonghyun noticed one member walked out towards the kitchen, he followed the boy.

 

 

 

“Hey Myungsoo, anything up?” Jonghyun asked as he reached the kitchen.

“Oh Jonghyun hyung, I’m a bit thirsty, just want to grab some water.” Myungsoo replied and Jonghyun nodded, handing him the water from the fridge.

“You seem to be a bit down.” Jonghyun remarked and Myungsoo looked at him questioningly.

“I’m always like this hyung.” The younger replied before drinking the water.

“Nope, you are sadder than usual.” Jonghyun leaned by the wall and crossed his arms across his chest. They then heard laughter and applauses as Sunggyu and Onew got a high score for their song. Myungsoo’s eyes quiver at the sight of the leader who was smiling and hugging Onew like it was his most treasured possession.

“I used to hold Onew hyung’s smile.” Jonghyun commented as he too looked sad at the sight of the giggling and laughing leaders.

“are they dating?” Myungsoo asked, choking a sob.

“No, at least not yet.” Jonghyun said as he sighed, Myungsoo nodded.

“It seems that I made a mistake overlooking Onew’s feelings and now I am regretting everything.” Jonghyun continued and Myungsoo looked at him and saw a broken soul. Jonghyun still has eyes fixed on the leader.

“Wonder why Onew hyung was missing back in 2012?” Jonghyun asked and Myungsoo shook his head. “It’s because of me.” There was a long silence.

“He told me everything, that he was hurting because of me. He told me that he loved me but his love remained unrequited and he decided to give up. He had on his smile but I never saw the cracks it was trying to hide. T was visible but I overlooked it.” Jonghyun confessed and Myungsoo’s eyes blinked as the hot liquid escaped his eyes.

“I wanted to hold him; he’s always been so fragile.” Jonghyun uttered as he spared Myungsoo a glance and gave him a smile. “But you know, I’m a bit late.” Jonghyun finished.

“That time of my accident, it was actually the day Onew hyung told me that he was starting to like Sunggyu hyung in a different way, I was devastated.” Jonghyun started again and Myungsoo was shocked for a moment. Jonghyun chuckled a bit.

“D’you know why Onew hyung went blonde after dream girl?” Jonghyun asked and Myungsoo shook his head. “It’s similar to what a girl does when she’s heartbroken or wants to forget.” Jonghyun said with a smile, confusing Myungsoo in the process.

“when Miley cyrus broke up with her fiancé, she turned cut her hair so short it was shocking right?” Jonghyun explained and Mungsoo nodded. “It’s similar for Onew hyung, when he dyed his hair blonde, it signifies that he had moved on and ready to take another shot at love.” Jonghyun smiled and Myungsoo’s eyes widened as his mouth hanged opened.

“then Sunggyu hyung…” Myungsoo trailed off and Jonghyn gave him a warm smile.

“It’s the same.” Jonghyun said as he sighed.

Myungsoo watched the leaders held hands and exchange smiles. He saw how their eyes shine brightly in each other’s arms.

“We were awkward.” Myungsoo spoke and Jonghyun looked at him. “It’s because I wasn’t sure if he would like me back. I was holding back.” Myungsoo said, tears starting to form in his eyes again. “I dated her because I wanted to make myself believe that I am not gay. I told myself how wrong it was to harbor feelings towards sunggyu hyung, I forced myself to believe…” Myungsoo was now sobbing as Jonghyun held him in an embrace and rubbed circles on his back.

“hyung..” Myungsoo choked. “it’s okay, we’re just a bit late to realize the most precious thing in this world is in fact waiting right before our eyes.” Jonghyun embraced him tighter. “It’s okay Myungsoo, we can all still be friends right?” Jonghyun asked and he felt Myungsoo nod, he kissed the top of his head affectionately.

“Now fix yourself and show them how happy you are for them.” Jonghyun smiled and Myungsoo shook his head.

“How can you say it so easily?” Myungsoo asked and Jonghyun sighed.

“Well, I deserve the pain for hurting Onew-hyung for five years. I can say that the pain I feel right now is just a little sacrifice to make him smile.” Jonghyun relayed and Myungsoo nodded, fixed himself and went out the room with a tray of cookies and milk.

He then sat next to Sunggyu and placed his head on his leader’s shoulder. He looked at the leader with glistening eyes and smiled. “I’m happy for you hyung.” He muttered and Sunggyu gave him a wide smile.

“I’m sure you’re trying Myungsoo and I’m thankful that you are.” Sunggyu wrapped his arm around the younger’s waist and smiled.

“You gave him the talk?” Onew asked as Jonghyun plopped down next to him and the younger nodded. “Thank you.” Onew said with a smile and Jonghyun returned it warmly.

“It’s nothing hyung.” Jonghyun replied an Onew interlaced his fingers with his.

“You’re still the best Jonghyun. I’m glad that you remained my friend despite everything.” Onew uttered and Jonghyun smiled as he tightened the grip on Onew’s hand.

“Anything to make you happy hyung.” Jonghyun replied and turned to the purring cat on Sunggyu’s side.

“Myungsoo’s pretty cute. No wonder Gyu is such a fanboy for him.” Onew remarked and Jonghyun nodded.

“And you’re not even jealous?” Jonghyun asked and Onew shook his head.

“We can’t change the fact that Myungsoo will always have a place in Sunggyu’s heart, just like you in mine.” Onew said, planting a sweet kiss on the younger’s cheek. “Merry Christmas.” Onew said then let Jonghyun’s hand go and turned to Sunggyu, the other doing the same, wrapping his arm around the SHINee leader.

Jonghyun and Myungsoo looked at each other and smiled, at least it wasn’t too late to patch things up and still be friends.

 

 


---

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I wasn’t so sure what happened with the plot. Okay, when Sunggyu had his haircut and a picture of him laughing I was like O.o he what? But then I re-read Déjà vu and a light bulb flickered in my brain, maybe Onew’s hair color and SUnggyu’s haircut is something connected to a clichéd girl’s story of getting her hair cut colored or ruined because of a traumatic experience in her life.