New Pets

Can’t we be friends?

Little hamster wants to play so he decided to move away from his mother and two brothers for a while. The litter has been crowded for a while and the little one really need a break from all of them.

“Hey Gyu!” his brother called out, rubbing sleep from his eyes. “go back to sleep Onew.” The elder said but the hamster shook his little chubby head. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Gyu reassured his brother who nodded then went back to sleep next to his other brother Henry; snuggling next to their mother and finding sleep in seconds.

Little hamster Sunggyu went his way, moving as fast as his little paws could take him across the wood covered floor of their enclosure. He passed by other litters who were cuddled in their spot on the floor, mothers instinctively covering the little ones.

Sunggyu didn’t stop though, not until he reached the other end where a beautiful creature was lying peacefully. Sunggyu opened his tiny black eyes as wide as he could as he stare at the majestic grey kitten. He watched the kitten purred as he sleeps, the soft tail curled to its hind leg. Sunggyu found himself smiling at the sight.

With a contented heart, he ran back to the other side and took his place next to his brother Henry.



---

Two boys came by the store one day, their parents holding them by their small hands. The brothers looked at the two boys as they roamed around the store and searched for their new pet.

“Mommy mommy look at them they are so cute!” A grinning boy looked at the three hamsters who were all eyes and cheeks. “I want that one mommy!” The boy pointed to Sunggyu who gulped, he’ll be taken away. “Sure Woohyun dear, let’s get him shall we?” His mom replied and the boy jumped for joy.

“Can I get the other one for Key and the other for Dasom mommy?” little 8 year old Woohyun asked and his mother nodded with a smile. “But isn’t Key already have a puppy?” She asked and the boy nodded. “He named the puppy Jonghyun but the hamster is cute mommy, I’m sure Jonghyun would want to play with Onew!” Woohyun said as he pointed to the hamster in the middle.

“How’d he know my name?” Onew asked his brothers who shook their heads.

“and Dasom would want Wookie to have a playmate!” Woohyun added, his palms planted on the glass as he looked at the hamster with soft light brown fur. “Henry would be a nice addition to Dasom’s collection!” Woohyun chirped as he fixed his gaze on the hamster.

“I’m scared Gyu hyung!” Henry said as he nervously scratched his face with his little paws, then running back to their spot to hide from the kid.

“Hey Gyu! Gyu!” Woohyun pounded on the glass and the hamster looked back to the boy who was smiling widely.

“Yah Woohyun, what did I tell you about rodents?” His father said but Woohyun grabbed his mother’s hand and looked at her pleadingly. “He can have the hamster, it’s really cute. “ She said and the father sighed. “How can the hamster live with Sungyeol’s cat?” He said, pointing to the grey kitten on Sungyeol’s arms.

“Myungsoo can eat your rat!” Sungyeol stuck out his tongue and Woohyun looked at his mother then stuck out his tongue too, “I want Gyugyu!” Woohyun demanded and the two boys bickered at how the kitten can eat the rat; petty. The parents rolled their eyes and dragged the two towards the cashier and told them what they’re getting. The two boys held their pets on cages.

After dropping the other hamsters to his friends, the boys were back at home with their parents setting up bigger cages for the new pets. “Mommy I don’t want that Myungsoo near my Gyugyu!” Woohyun demanded. “Like I would want your Gyu near my Myung Myung!” Sungyeol retorted.

“Enough you two, and you’re supposed to be twins!” their father said and the two said sorry and sat on the chairs by the living room. “Okay, now Myung will stay in this cage while Gyu will stay here.” Their father pointed and the two nodded, eagerly placing the new pets on their new home.



---

Tckk tckk tckkk Sunggyu ran across his new home, enjoying the freedom and a huge place of his own. He ran across the huge wheel and across the tunnel. He was at the top of his ‘castle’ when he glanced towards the other pet in the house. The grey kitten was eyeing him, and Sunggyu noticed the kitten’s fierce black eyes.

Meow. The kitten purred and Sunggyu gulped. Meow he continued and Sunggyu got scared, that he ran back towards his hole and hid from the kitten.



---

The twin brothers where playing with their pets one afternoon: Woohyun placed Sunggyu inside a hamster ball and made him roam around the living room, Woohyun chasing after him. Sungyeol was playing with Myungsoo, wiggling a cat toy for Myungsoo to reach and bite. The twins were having fun on their own when their mother called them for snacks. Woohyun placed Sunggyu back to his cage but forgot to lock it properly, the door slightly ajar. Sungyeol just dropped Myungsoo and ran towards the kitchen.

Sunggyu took a deep breath as he walked out of his cage and looked at the living room. His tiny eyes scanning the vast place for the first time since he got there. Then he locked eyes with the other creature, the beautiful grey kitten that his master’s twin had bought.

“Now now Sunggyu, Henry and Onew. Remember that cats are your enemies.” He remembered his mother’s warning. Sunggyu gulped as he saw the kitten dashed towards him. He wanted to run away but his tiny little paws were frozen in fear. He looked again and saw that the kitten was jumping towards him.

“Ahhhhhh Please don’t kill me!” Sunggyu screamed, scared and shaking. “Why would I do that?” The kitten replied. “But cats eat rats. You’re a cat and I’m a rat.” Sunggyu uttered. The kitten bobbed his head to the side then grinned. He then the little rodent’s cheeks and chuckled.

“You’re cute. I’m Myungsoo.” The kitten introduced himself.

“Sunggyu.” The hamster replied.

“Let’s be friends!” Myungsoo suggested and Sunggyu’s mouth opened.

“You are not going to eat me?” Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo shook his head.

“I can’t eat you.” Myungsoo replied.

“Why?” Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo leaned in closer to the small but chubby hamster. He then the cheeks again. “Because I think I like you.” Myungsoo purred, brushing his head on the little rat who stumbled and giggled.

“Yah Sungyeol your cat is murdering my Gyugyu!” Woohyun ran towards the two but Sungyeol grabbed his hand and stopped him.

“He’s not! Look at them, Myungsoo is playing with Gyu!” Sungyeol shouted back and Woohyun’s eyes were wide.

“oh, your Myungsoo likes my Gyu~!” Woohyun giggled like a girl and his twin face palmed himself.

“Oh Woohyun, please stop being friends with Key.” Sungyeol said and Woohyun was taken aback.

“Why should I?” He asked and Sungyeol sighed.

“Because Key thinks that his dog Jonghyun likes his hamster Onew and they are animals!” Sungyeol stated a matter-factly and Woohyun was b with tears.

“They have feelings too you know!” Woohyun stomped away from his twin brother.



---

The twins turned a year older and so are Sunggyu and Myungsoo. “Hey Myungsoo, stop playing with Gyu and play with me instead.” Sungyeol whined as he grabbed the cat and placed it on his lap.

“Sungyeol is jealous of a hamster.” Woohyun laughed as he took Sunggyu in his hands and placed him on his lap too. Myungsoo wanted to escape from Sungyeol as Woohyun pet the hamster; Sunggyu loved the warm hand on his soft fur. “You love me right Gyu?” Woohyun asked and the hamster nodded, enjoying the touch.

Upon hearing and seeing enough, Myungsoo escaped from Sungyeol, jumped on Woohyun’s lap (effectively startling him) and grabbed Sunggyu by his nape. Myungsoo then jumped off Woohyun’s lap with Sunggyu gently dangling on his mouth and proceeded to his cage.

“Yah, why did your cat do that?” Woohyun asked and Sungyeol shook his head in disbelief. “Maybe Myungsoo is jealous of you Woohyun. You should be careful touching Sunggyu when Myung is around.” Sungyeol said with a smile.

“They are animals!” Woohyun shouted at his twin.

“They have feelings too!” Sungyeol shouted back.



---

“Hey Myung why did you…” Sunggyu’s words were cut short when he saw Myungsoo curled in a ball and slightly sobbing.

“Hey Myung…” Sunggyu’s words trailed off as he approached the cat.

“I’m jealous. Sunggyu I’m jealous of Woohyun!” Myungsoo shouted and Sunggyu was utterly shocked beyond words.

It was dead silent for a couple of minutes and neither one of them spoke.

“But Woohyun’s my master.” Sunggyu finally spoke and Myungsoo looked at him with those black eyes. “And you are more than a friend.” Sunggyu finished, heat creeping up his furry cheeks and his nose bright pink.

“You mean it Gyu?” Myungsoo asked, head up a little and nose turning bright pink as well. The hamster nodded and Myungsoo plunged himself towards the rodent, him and nuzzling his furry face on Sunggyu’s body.

“Sungyeol, Myungsoo is murdering Gyu!” Woohyun shouted from his place, watching the cat on top of his poor hamster.

“Myung is not a killer and look, Gyu is enjoying it. Shut up and let’s eat dinner!” Sungyeol dragged the brother away from the pets.



---

A/N: I wanted to write a short drabble but it ended this way. Was my understanding right about the prompt? If not I can write another (maybe this time short drabble).