The Romeo to my Juliet

The Romeo to My Juliet

“This your first party?”
I whirled around to see a cute boy grinning devilishly at me. “I’m Baekhyun,” he said as he extended his hand towards me. I nervously took his hand and shook it. “Juliet,” I replied. “Juliet,” he repeated, tasting my name. “If I remember, Romeo and Juliet met at a party too. Does that mean I will be Romeo tonight?” I giggled. “You’re so cheesy!”  Baekhyun shrugged, “Hey I try.” With those final words, Baekhyun held my hand and led me to the center of the dance floor. “Yah, what are you doing?” Baekhyun looked at me innocently. “Didn’t Romeo and Juliet get to dance on the floor?” I playfully punched him. “Are you going to use that all night?” I teased. He shrugged, “I don’t know. However long it takes for you to dance with me.” At that moment a slow dance began to play softly in the background. Taking my other hand, he guided it to his waist and we began to sway to the rhythm. “This is nice,” I murmured. Baekhyun nodded in agreement. “It is, isn’t it?” I looked up to gaze into Baekhyun’s sparking eyes, but I noticed several girls glaring at me behind him. Obviously I’ve crossed a line with those girls. One girl stood in the center and broke away from the pack:  Krystal, a.k.a. Miss Popular AND the hostess to this lovely gathering. Oh great. Plastering a fake smile she approached the two of us. “Hey! Thanks for coming Juliet! It’s so nice to meet you!” I broke away from Baekhyun and looked at her uncertainly. “Oh, thanks for inviting me.” Krystal placed her hand around Baekhyun’s shoulders and squeezed protectively. “Oppa, isn’t it nice she’s come to our party?” Krystal turned to Baekhyun. I couldn’t pry my eyes away from her hand which was now rubbing his arm, as if she was saying “BACK OFF HE’S MINE.” “Um, yeah,” Baekhyun mumbled keeping my gaze. I fidgeted uncomfortably as Krystal stared at me with loathing. “Oh, Juliet I wish you could have earlier! People are beginning to leave no!” she said with a pout. Alarms rang in my head. They screamed “LEAVE NOW!” I didn’t need to fake my disappointment. “Oh, alright. Yeah it is a little late. I guess I’ll be leaving then,” I mumbled. I looked over to Baekhyun and bowed slightly. “Thanks for hanging out with me tonight! I’ll see you at school.” He nodded slightly before I turned around and left. Romeo and Juliet never had a happy ending, I guess it’s the same for us…

The next day I struggled through name calling and teasing Krystal and her friends threw upon me: “What a loser! She thinks she can hang out with Baekhyun? You’re kidding yourself. Go dig yourself a hole!”

After three classes with Krystal and her posse, I finally escaped into the courtyard for lunch and hid under a small tree. Resting my head against the trunk, I put my headphones in and pressed shuffle on my iPhone. Gentle strums from Taylor Swift’s Love Story filled my ears. Oh the irony. I sighed and closed my eyes, singing softly along with the lyrics. I opened my eyes only when I heard footsteps approach me.

“’Romeo save me I’ve been feeling so alone, I keep waiting for you but you never come, Is this in my head I don’t know what to think.’ he knelt to the ground and pulled out and ring and said--”

“’Marry me Juliet you never have to be alone I love you and that’s all I need to know. I talked to your dad – go pick out a white dress. It’s a love story, baby, just say, ‘Yes.’’”

I grinned. “Way to finish it for me.” Baekhyun grinned back. “I believe Juliet needs a happy ending,” he replied. I snorted, “Until he leaves her.”

“Juliet, I’m sorry about last night. I had fun, and I loved being with you.” I waved my hand. “You don’t have to make up for anything. It was fun.” I began to get up and leave, but Baekhyun grabbed my hand and didn’t let go. “I let you walk away last time. This time I won’t let go.”

“Baekhyun,” I began.

“Juliet, I like you. Please go out with me.” Looking down at me, he grinned cheekily, “It’s a love story. Baby, will you say yes?”

I punched him again before he enveloped me in a hug. “Cheesy,” I mumbled.