Keeping You Close

Right Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kyuhyun didn’t see Ryeowook the next day.  The bakery was busy on Saturdays, so he didn’t bother sneaking by for a visit, and then he knew Ryeowook had dinner with his brother later.  Since he was spoiled by Ryeowook making him home cooked meals every night, he decided to go see his parents, who treated him much like the Prodigal son, finally returning home after abandoning them, since he had only come home once for Christmas in the last couple months. 

            His mother gave him hell for lying to them about not having a significant other, because she felt sure now that it wasn’t true.  He looked too happy, he was too well rested, he’d gained a little weight, and he was dressing better.  So he was forced to tell his mother all and she forgave him, since nothing was official yet, but he had to promise to bring his new boyfriend over once he’d sealed the deal. 

            The next morning, Kyuhyun woke early and showered.  It was only a little after eight when he dried his hair and dressed.  Ryeowook would be up this early, but it was too early to knock on his door.  It would seem weird, wouldn’t it?  So he went to the kitchen and made himself some eggs and French toast, something he’d picked up from watching Ryeowook since it looked easy enough to do at home.  He ate and then he decided to get a little work done before heading over to Ryeowook’s apartment.

            Normally they ran a few errands on Sundays, because the bakery was closed, but usually they waited until late morning.  And Kyuhyun still did not know what Ryeowook’s reaction would be to being kissed by him and he was scared to find out, which perhaps was his biggest reason for not speeding over there bright and early, if he was being honest with himself.  So he sat down at his computer with a cup of coffee and decided to wait it out a little longer before checking in on Ryeowook.

            A little while later, he was rather engrossed in what he was doing when he began to hear shouting and snapped out of what he was doing. 

            “We’re not finished!”

            “I’m finished!  We’re done!  We’ve been done a long time.  I’ve moved on and I’m happy now!” Ryeowook hollered.

            “We’re not done until I say we are!”

            Kyuhyun jumped to his feet immediately, upsetting his coffee mug and spilling all over his handwritten notes for his game.  It didn’t matter at the moment.  He’d never heard Ryeowook raise his voice before except for the time he had a spider in his shower and made Kyuhyun come over to kill it for him.  This didn’t remotely sound as hysterical, but it worried Kyuhyun so much more and he was out the door and down the hall in a heartbeat.

            As Kyuhyun approached Ryeowook’s door, he saw a man roughly grab Ryeowook’s arm and try to force himself into the apartment and Kyuhyun saw red.  He knew exactly who this person was without having to be told and he had a lot of pent up anger he felt like lashing out towards him.  He grabbed the man by the back of the collar and threw him into the wall opposite Ryeowook’s door, forcing a grunt out of the man.  Kyuhyun could hear Ryeowook gasp from behind him as he grabbed the by the neck.

            “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

            He wasn’t exactly expecting an answer as it was nearly impossible to speak under the circumstances. 

            The man began choking and Ryeowook walked up behind him and gently touched his back.  “Kyuhyun, please let him go.  He’s not worth this.”

            Kyuhyun released his hold on the dark haired man and he nearly fell to the floor, holding his throat.  He coughed incessantly. 

            “What the hell does he want?” Kyuhyun asked, turning towards Ryeowook.

            “He’s my ex, Yesung; he wants to get back together with me.”

            Kyuhyun turned back towards him with murderous eyes and kicked him hard.  “Look at me, you god damn piece of !”

            Yesung looked up at him from his crouched position on the floor. 

            “If you ever go near Ryeowook again, I will ing kill you.  Do you understand?”

            Yesung did nothing.

            “Answer me!” Kyuhyun hollered, kicking him again.

            Ryeowook grabbed onto Kyuhyun’s arm, but did not try to stop him.

            Yesung slowly nodded his head.

            Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around Ryeowook’s waist.  “Get the hell out of here.  Now!”

            Before Yesung had gotten far, Ryeowook pulled Kyuhyun into his apartment with him and shut the door.  “Thank you, Kyu.”

            “What a piece of ing work that guy was!” Kyuhyun went off, still fired up at seeing the man dare to touch Ryeowook forcefully and try to enter his apartment.  He began to wonder what would have happened had he not been home and those thoughts did nothing to settle him down any.

            “It’s okay now,” Ryeowook said, grasping both of Kyuhyun’s hands in his.  “Calm down.”

            “I can’t,” he said, closing his eyes and shaking his head.  “I’m so pissed off.  The nerve of him…to think he could even deserve someone like you…it just makes me so mad.”

            “That’s why I left him.”

            “I should really go kick his .  I’d feel better!”

            “I’d rather you stay here with me,” Ryeowook told him.

            Kyuhyun opened his eyes again, belatedly remembering that they’d not seen each other since he’d kissed Ryeowook and his nerves began to set in, agitating him more.  “Would you?”

            Ryeowook nodded and smiled.  “And I baked you a cake, so you have to stay and eat a piece.”

            “What kind?” he asked, glancing into the kitchen.

            “Red velvet,” Ryeowook said, stepping closer to him. 

            Kyuhyun smiled and laughed nervously.  “I thought you were going to wait for my birthday next week before you made that.”

            “I thought about it, but I thought of a better reason to make it for you.”

            Kyuhyun stared directly into Ryeowook’s eyes.  “And what’s that?”

            Ryeowook stood up on his tiptoes and wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun’s neck.  “This,” he said, and then he closed his eyes and pressed his lips against Kyuhyun’s.  Kyuhyun recovered from the surprise quick and wrapped his arms tight around Ryeowook, whining against his lips a little and then kissing him harder.  And it was a long, long time before they pulled away from one another.  And much longer still before they were willing to break away long enough to eat cake, with Kyuhyun only agreeing to it if Ryeowook would feed it to him. 

            “That was my turn,” Kyuhyun complained when Ryeowook forked himself two bites of the cake in a row.

            “I baked a whole cake,” he reasoned, sitting on Kyuhyun’s lap as he sat in the recliner.  “It isn’t like we’re going to run out.”

            “But it’s supposed to be mine and you’re eating more of it,” he said, opening wide as Ryeowook offered him some more.

            “I said I’d go out with you, isn’t that more important than eating cake?”

            “I’ve wanted to try your cake longer than I wanted to date you,” Kyuhyun pointed out.

            “So, perhaps I should make you wait longer on dating me,” he suggested, taking another bite of cake and raising his brows as he looked at his new boyfriend.  “Just to be fair.”

            Kyuhyun dipped his finger into the frosting and then smeared it ov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter