cheer

baby, i'm cheering for the enemy team

new update: just fixed some typos! can anyone tell me if there are any more? thank you, mwah --kika


i / i

 

 

Baekhyun never wanted to be a cheerleader. He just became one when his best friend (but he’s reconsidering), Minseok, dared him to. He was only in sixth grade at the time.

     Now, he’s still cheering.

     In eighth grade.

     Mortifying, right?

     He should know by now never to bet or gamble. But when it comes to Minseok . . . Oh, boy. Pretty hard to escape that.

     Baekhyun races off the field, cheerleading skirt billowing from the speed. Oh, wow, he is going to slaughter Minseok. He stomps to the changing stalls/bathroom, trying really hard to ignore the snickering, his cheeks heated.

     He’s going to grab his stuff and head to the men’s restroom inside the school. No way is he going to change with a gaggle of fifteen girls. Nope. But first, off with his makeup.

     Yes, Minseok dared him to wear a wig and makeup and also gave him his sister’s old cheerleading attire.

     The 20,000 won he’ll be given each month better be worth it.

 

 

“You really do , you know that, right?” he groans to Minseok later that night. He’s trying really hard to find an appropriate current event, but, unfortunately, Minseok isn’t helping.

     Minseok winks. “I can’t help how hilarious you look wearing a blouse and a wig. It’s absolutely hysterical.”

     “I hope you die a violent death,” Baekhyun announces, closing his laptop. “Three years in a row? You have got to be kidding me.”

     “I would have started in elementary school, but they didn’t have a team.”

     Baekhyun frowns in disapproval. “I would have started--”

     “Tell you what,” interrupts Minseok, rolling over to face Baekhyun. “There’s that school dance coming up in a couple of months. Hold up with the team until then, and wear makeup to the dance, and I’ll pay you 50,000 won.”

     Baekhyun blushes. “Well . . .”

     “You’re such a coward.” Minseok did not just go there.

     “And you’re such an idiot,” Baekhyun mutters angrily. He raises his voice. “All right, I’ll do it.”

     Minseok whoops and beams at Baekhyun. Baekhyun wonders why he ever gives in. Maybe it’s the money. Or maybe it’s the radiant grin that Baekhyun’s always influenced by.

     He clears his thoughts. Hopefully it’s the money.

 

 

Lu Han and Jongin start meeting Baekhyun after cheer practice. Lu Han’s on the soccer team, and Jongin does football, so, bam, intertwined schedules.

     Jongin’s all chatter and never stops talking. Lu Han will just listen most of the time, but he’s not a softie. He’s hardcore, wears skull earrings and dark chokers.  He has those lean thighs and arms that are delicately sculpted but muscled. Baekhyun’s surprised that, knowing his friend, Jongin hasn’t asked this kid out yet.

     Baekhyun’s still getting to know Lu Han, the short Chinese soccer player that barely talks. So he tries to bring a little conversation out of him.

     “Do you ever miss China?” asks Baekhyun curiously one day, as they’re all walking towards the stoplight. Lu Han gives a noncommittal noise, shrugging. His piercings swing.

     “Well, you were born in Beijing,” Baekhyun coaxes. Jongin, of course, picks up on Lu Han’s hesitance and shoots a look in Baekhyun’s direction.

     “My parents died in Beijing when I was eleven,” says Lu Han abruptly. “I had to come here to live with an aunt and uncle of mine.”

     “Oh,” Baekhyun says softly. He swings an arm around Lu Han’s shoulders. He doesn’t want to leave awkward sorrys in the air, because he knows that some people hate it. “But you know what, Korea’s cool. Jongin taken you to his favorite restaurant yet?” Jongin flushes.

     Lu Han smiles, and there’s a little silence with just a whispering breeze and a bangle of bracelets of empty charms and promises before he says, “I don’t think he has.” Baekhyun grins.

 

 

During matches, Baekhyun will often catch Jongin or Lu Han’s eye; Jongin usually sends a wink and Lu Han’ll smirk at Baekhyun’s ridiculous outfit. Baekhyun will only shake his pom-poms higher and chant louder. Every time, Minseok will come to pick him up, and Baekhyun will blush and shy away from Minseok and his raucous, judging laughter. Minseok always finds a way to embarrass his best friend.

     Near the middle of the year, these matches start occurring more frequently. Baekhyun fidgets in nervous anticipation, knowing that the 13th of January is coming up soon and wow he's not prepared to go to the dance wearing makeup and he doesn’t even like dances and he’s acting like he’s still in middle school oh wait he still is.

     On January 10th, Lu Han and Jongin start dating and it makes Baekhyun feel even more alone.

     They meet up at that very same stoplight January 11th, and Baekhyun tries to ignore their warm, fuzzy sweetness that could probably melt all the ice that gleams with a cheery sheen he isn’t even feeling. He texts Minseok to warm up his fingers (thick gloves still aren’t keeping out the cold very well) and chats idly to no one. Jongin and Lu Han glance at each other.

     “Are you inviting Minseok to the dance with you?” says Jongin, wrapping his fingers around Baekhyun’s forearm to get him to slow down.

     Baekhyun mutters he’s probably going with Jongdae anyway.

     “What?”

     “I’m not gay, Jongin,” says Baekhyun weakly. He trudges towards the crossing section, leaning against the lamp post afterwards. Jongin gives him a skeptical look, and Lu Han joins in. Great.

     Even his friends are ganging up on him.

 

 

January 12th, a miserable Thursday, Baekhyun realizes that oh my god, there’s a game today. His voice also cracks when he sings the solo for the chorus class, and Jongdae snickers at him. That little—

     (Later, Jongdae apologizes and they bond. Unfortunately.)

     And Minseok comes in late drinking Starbucks and consequently spills it on Baekhyun’s favorite shirt. Well, crap. (Baekhyun gets him back by pointing it out to the teacher. Minseok has to throw it away.) Minseok tries to sew back the little rip between them by cuddling him and feeding him snippets from his lunch, which, by the way, tastes way better than Baekhyun’s cafeteria lunch. It’s not exactly his fault he was raised by a lazy family.

     The game goes well, though. This time Baekhyun’s cheering for Jongin, and the rivaling middle school seems to be losing right until the end, where they beat Jongin’s team by two points. Lu Han runs to make out with Jongin anyway. [vomit.]

     This time around, Minseok requests that Baekhyun leave his cheerleading attire on and Baekhyun just agrees; he’s really tired. He plays with Baekhyun’s (curly pigtails) because well they’re springy and you’re really cute.

     Baekhyun hopes it’s too dark for Minseok to see his blush.

 

 

Baekhyun wakes up on Friday and immediately, feeling a wave of nausea, calls Minseok to back out. Minseok just laughs. “Since you’re so scared, I’ll make it 55,000 won.” Then he hangs up.

     Oooh, Baekhyun hates Minseok. But he likes money, so.

     Baekhyun almost falls asleep during school with Minseok’s fingers brushing the back of his neck or carding through his hair. He forces himself to wake up, because he is going to get at least a B in this class and that is final but Minseok, sadly, never ceases to distract him.

     The rest of the day goes by really slowly, much to his dismay. He decides against buying a ticket to the dance during lunch, but Minseok sidles up with two of them held easily between middle and index finger. Baekhyun scowls. Minseok just shows off his lopsided grin and puts one down Baekhyun’s shirt. Baekhyun slaps him across the face.

     Let’s just say that it doesn’t turn out well.

 

 

Baekhyun doesn’t go home after school and just hangs out with Lu Han. He tells his friend about his makeup predicament. Lu Han, of course, all glitz and glamour, laughs at him. “Is this bad?”

     “Yes,” whines Baekhyun.

     “Trust me,” begins Lu Han, studying his friend’s facial features, “it’ll be fabulous.”

     Baekhyun hardly gets a chance to say anything before Lu Han’s whisking him away to the bathroom.

     Since Lu Han is all heavy eyeliner and black painted fingernails, he’s kind of afraid for his face. But he goes easy on Baekhyun, just lightly curving some eye pencil on both lids, glossing his lips, curling his eyelashes. Then he loads on the mascara. Baekhyun almost throws a fit.

     When he looks in the mirror, he actually does.

 

 

“Stop freaking out,” Lu Han complains. “You’re going to give me a migraine.”

     “I can’t when--” Baekhyun is interrupted by Jongin, who rushes over to them, stupid dance entry ticket in hand. His eyes light up when he sees Lu Han’s beautified face. “Don’t you look pretty. But you’re going to sweat it all off. You too, Baekhyun.”

     “Not my fault,” Baekhyun sing-songs.

     Jongin rolls his eyes, smiling. “Minseok’s gonna love it, anyway.” He pulls Lu Han in for a tight kiss before waving goodbye and running towards the gym. Baekhyun glowers.

     “You have your ticket?” Lu Han asks. Baekhyun nods reluctantly. “Let’s head in.”

 

 

The music is loud. There are lights. And food. Baekhyun likes food. He would rather eat food than participate in a dance. (Jongin and Lu Han are disgustingly into it.)

     When Baekhyun is on his seventh donut and Lu Han kisses Jongin for the 18984372nd time, it’s out for him.

     It’s only six fifty, and this thing ends at eight, but Baekhyun doesn’t give a crap. Fresh air. Good. His friends being touchy. Bad.

     Once he’s out he’s out coughing and wheezing. He does not like dances! He does not like parties! He doesn’t like socializing! He does not like—

     Hands on his hips make him jump. “Byun Baekhyun.”

     Baekhyun wriggles out of the grip crossly. “You fiend, whoever you are!” He turns to face the fiend. Oh. Just Minseok.

     Minseok pouts. “Why’d you leave?”

     “I don’t know,” Baekhyun says – rather, snaps. “Dances ain’t my thing, ok?”

      Minseok shakes his head, “You know I brought you here to socialize. You don’t talk to anyone.”

     “It should stay that way,” mutters Baekhyun. He takes his phone from his back pocket. “My dad’s going to pick me up, all right?” He looks Minseok in the eye. “I’m really sorry, I am, Min. It just makes me uncomfortable to be in there.”

     Minseok watches him as he sends a swift text to his father, and the disappointment is evident in his face. His cheekbones seem a little higher and man, his looks flawless in those jeans and it is not time to be thinking that right now.

      Baekhyun sits there feeling kind of terrible, so he decides to talk about his cheer team and once in a while Minseok will snort in amusement. Baekhyun’s chatter is just to keep him entertained as his dad takes his sweet time to cruise on over to the school.

      Finally, just when Baekhyun is getting to the part about Helen accidentally  falling into a split, those awful headlights come into view, leisurely. Baekhyun winces.

     Minseok nudges him forward. “There’s your dad. See you tomorrow.”

     “Monday,” Baekhyun automatically corrects, throwing his bookbag over his shoulder.

     “Who says?” Baekhyun sighs when Minseok retorts and looks behind him, and Minseok is grinning, his hands in his pockets with an air of utmost nonchalance. Oh, he hates that grin.

     So Baekhyun decides to kiss it right off his face.

     He doesn’t know if he’s doing it right, but Minseok’s lips are warm and wow. Then Baekhyun pulls back just enough to mumble, “By the way, your looks fabulous tonight.” Minseok’s eyes widen.

     Baekhyun unwinds his arms from around Minseok’s neck. He’s probably blushing, and Minseok hasn’t said anything thus far. He blurts out, “The most appropriate thing for me to say right now is ‘I had a lovely time,’ so, I had a lovely time.”

     Minseok’s smile is weak, but his eyes are sparkling. “Liar.”

 

 

“I knew it,” Jongin says, grinning wide with glee. “You just give it off. It’s so strong, I can taste it.”

     Baekhyun sighs. “We’re not a thing. I just…”

     “Jumped him?” Jongin cackles.

     “Stop,” Baekhyun says, slapping him upside the head. “I have accidentally walked in on you and Lu Han more than once. You have nothing to be talking about.”

     Jongin blushes. Ha. “That’s different, we’re--”

     “Your argument is invalid, get out of my house.”

 

 

Thankfully, Minseok has no intention to let it stay awkward, inviting Baekhyun over to play nothing but games. Baekhyun is awful at video games but kills Minseok in almost every board game he owns (Minseok wins Monopoly. Figures).

     Minseok tries to get him to learn how to play Mario Kart, the easiest thing he has in his possession. Of course, Baekhyun is only subpar. Fifteen minutes later, they give up. Baekhyun goes up in flames. He must be imagining it.

     “Wow, I apologize for being such a failure,” Baekhyun says blankly.

     Minseok snorts. “Maybe we should stick to no games at all, seeing as our skills are of completely different fields.”

     Baekhyun grunts in agreement, lifting the collar of his shirt away from his neck. “Hot. In your basement.” Minseok is staring at him intently and he flushes.

     “Gaming is intense,” his best friend muses. “Do you want some water?”

     Baekhyun groans and pushes off the couch exhaustedly. “We are going together, because your house is creepy and I will never get used to it.” Minseok laughs as he flops through the door and skids to the kitchen (Baekhyun will never stop wearing his fluffy socks!).

     Baekhyun is pouring the water into a frighteningly fragile-looking glass when Minseok comes in. “You’re slow.”

     Minseok just makes a face. “How dare you go into my fridge and pull out the water like you own this place?”

     Baekhyun smirks, raising the cup to his lips.

     Minseok’s mouth falls open as Pocky weaves around his legs, purring loudly. “And you let in my cat, too!”

     “Told you that you were slow.”

     “Why am I friends with you?”

     “Maybe you shouldn’t.”

     Minseok hums and traces a figure onto the counter, fingers tapping a pattern lightly. Baekhyun admires his interesting shape; curvy in all the weird ways but attractive all the same. He’s leaning against the counter, chin propped up on his hand. As Baekhyun’s eyes land on Minseok’s face, he’s startled to see that his friend’s doing that thing again, watching him. He almost spits out his water. But manages not to.

     (A smile twitches at Minseok’s lips anyway.)

     “What,” he deadpans.

     “You’re wearing eyeliner.”

     Baekhyun really does choke on his water this time, blushing furiously and slamming the glass down on the table. “Well,” he says, embarrassed, but nothing else comes out. What happened to being subtle, Byun Baekhyun?

     Minseok doesn’t look condescending for once and instead says, “It looks nice, Baekhyun.”

     “Really,” he splutters back, cheeks still flaming.

     Minseok nods and one of those rare, genuine smiles flickers across his lips; it’s not a playful, teasing smile or a mocking one, it’s just regular and to be honest, it’s freaky. It’s just abnormally normal.

     Baekhyun opens his mouth to give Minseok a piece of his mind but Minseok cups his jaw and closes the distance between them instead and fricking frick whahahthat.

     Before Baekhyun can even remember his own name he is reciprocating this stupid kiss, pressing back. Minseok’s tongue runs along his lower lip and Baekhyun parts them a little too quickly, blushing again. Minseok tastes really good, like soda and cheesecake. His lips are also making Baekhyun really dizzy, so he balances himself by leaning on the counter. When Minseok into his mouth again he thinks he might cry.

     Minseok’s hand wraps around his neck to pull him closer. Baekhyun makes an embarrassing noise, letting himself be tugged, and nips Minseok’s lip.

     Then they both laugh. Simultaneously.

     “I hate you,” whines Baekhyun. Minseok is so close, he can feel his breath fanning over his lips.

     “You so love me,” breathes Minseok.

     Then they’re kissing all over again, and Baekhyun admits to himself that he doesn’t really regret wearing that eyeliner after all.

     He doubts he ever will.

 

 

Maybe it’s a bit embarrassing when Minseok greets him with a grand smooch to the face, but it’s okay. He almost feels like running away, away from the humiliation, away from the catcalls and whatnot (and actually get to class on time). But he stays with Minseok, lets his hair be tousled, lets his (possibly? boyfriend) kiss his lips till they’re puffy between classes and cuddle with him during recess and homeroom time.

     They (or Minseok) continue this way without shame. They (Minseok again) ignore the jibes and dirty looks and just keep going. (Baekhyun’s a wimp.)

     Thankfully, though, Minseok isn’t cheesy.

     It would be awful if they turned out like Jongin and Lu Han.

 

 

Wednesday, January 25th, Lu Han has a game. Minseok stays in for some extra tutoring while Baekhyun goes to prepare. Or put on his makeup, what have you.

     Their cheers for today are fairly simple, but just to embarrass Baekhyun, the coach has the girls thow him into the air a couple of times. Noooooooooo.

     Today it’s sunny, but the skies are deceptive, and Baekhyun is freezing his off. He hugs his jacket around his shoulders and flips his hair so that it covers his neck. Brrr. Hyeri grimaces at him in understanding.

     When the game starts, Baekhyun cheers for the team but he actually, secretly, please-don’t-tell-anyone-privately, cheers for Lu Han, because the rest of them are complete strangers. Lu Han glances at him every couple of minutes and chokes back laughter (he can see it, he can), but manages not to kick the ball into his own goal. Jongin is watching somewhere, but Baekhyun doubts his friend ever looks in his direction because he can’t keep his eyes off Lu Han.

     Because Lu Han is a pro, he scores most of the goals for the team. The game is really intense and goes on until five twenty p.m., and Lu Han’s team wins. It’s pretty much dark already so Baekhyun gathers his belongings and his freezing body and limps painfully off the field. He has a plethora of experiences with near-frostbite, and he doesn’t want to acquire another one.

     It’s inevitable that Minseok’s going to be waiting, but it’s the first time they’ve met here since cough. Well, Baekhyun runs super-fast to him anyway because he feels like it’s below zero and his legs will most definitely fall off if he stays with just a miniskirt to cover them.

     Baekhyun flies into Minseok and his best friend collapses and Baekhyun shrieks and the London Bridge comes falling down. Oops. “I’m cold, where’s you mom, let’s go, I hate being a cheerleader, I’m cold, where’s--” Baekhyun runs out of breath and stares really hard at Minseok, trying to send a telepathic message instead.

     Minseok just laughs. “You look kind of cute when you’re concentrating.”

     Baekhyun sighs in exasperation. Probably to annoy him further, the boy underneath him tugs at his long curls of fake hair and draws him in for a searing kiss with curling tongues and love bites, and Baekhyun kisses back repeatedly. His hands cup Minseok’s face, and he tingles from head to toe with warmth.

     He honestly forgets about being cold.

 

 

“I’ll give you 25,000 more won,” Minseok tries.

     Baekhyun studies his face. It’s gotten longer and his jaw is more accentuated, sure, but that impish expression and sly gaze is awfully familiar and gives him equally awful memories. Minseok’s little habit is incorrigible.

     “Minseok,” he admonishes sharply. “I’m almost a sophomore, and so are you, and we will not return to our childish ways of childish giggling while taking bets and gambling and dancing and cheerleading. I don’t want to relive being thirteen.”

     “But--”

     “Don’t,” Baekhyun says, looping his arms around Minseok’s neck and drawing close so that their foreheads are touching. “What did I just tell you?”

     “You do know that there’s a cheerleading team here, right?” Minseok grins, cocking his head. “I have a thing for you crossdressing.”

     Baekhyun rolls his eyes and captures Minseok’s lips, and Minseok nips at his lower one. They both laugh. Simultaneously.

     Despite what he says, Baekhyun still kind of feels thirteen. And feeling Minseok kiss him, he doesn’t really mind.

     (After all, he still wears the eyeliner.)

 


a/n:

baekhyun/xiumin is growing on me, pls send help.

and by the way, my friend conner actually does take my water and let in my cats even when she isn't asked. lol. taking out my frustrations on a fic. no, just kidding, chuube!

hope you enjoyed! i love you all <3 comments (and/or upvotes *suggestive eyebrow movement*) are appreciated~

happy birthday, mags, btw. hope u liked it as much as i liked writing it (it was fun)

--kika