One Shot

Ended Before It Even Started

Baekhyun looks at the reflection of himself in the full body mirror in front of him. He looks stunning in his white sweater, with a red scarf around his neck and a skinny blue jeans. He checked back the Whatsapp messages sent by Chanyeol.

'Hey, don't forget our date tonight! 11.59pm in front of Starlight Cafe, okay? XOXO'

Baekhyun smiles. He is confident he's already fallen in love with the other man. Too deep, maybe. He put his phone into his pocket of his jeans, wears his boot before walking out from his apartment. The time is 11.40pm now and it will only take him about five minutes of walking to the cafe. He places his hands over his chest. His heart beats too fast. He tries to calm down but nothing is working. 

He didn't even realized that he's standing in front of the cafe. There are quite a few people in front of the cafe. People are whispering with sad expression on their faces. Baekhyun tries to ignore them, his eyes looking around for the person he never met before. His heart stops beating for a while when he hears two girls talking to each other.

"That poor young man! I bet he's on the way to meet his girlfriend. He's holding a bouquet of flower for God's sake!"

"That driver can go to hell. How could he ran over someone and just drove away?!" 

Baekhyun turns his head towards the direction of the girls. What is this hit and run accident he's hearing?

"I heard he died instantly. Urgh, just look at the blood on the road though."

Baekhyun looks at the road. Yes, there is a pool of blood and some pieces of broken glass on the road. He feels like he just couldn't breathe but he shakes his head, throwing the bad thought away. He looks at his phone. It's 11.58pm. 2 minutes left for Christmas. He is worried sick and decided to call Chanyeol. His hands are trembling. Is it because it will be the first time he will ever hear Chanyeol's voice or is it because he wants a confirmation? He doesn't know himself. 

The moment he hears the phone rings on the other end of the line, he is also hears the sound of a phone ringing not too far from him. He turns his head slowly towards the source of the sound and spotted a phone left forgotten on the road kerb. He lets the call ended by itself and automatically the other phone stops ringing. He tries to call Chanyeol again and the same thing happened. He approaches the forgotten phone, squatting down and tries with the call again. The phone lit and Baekhyun could see clearly the name of the caller, "My Sarang Baekkie".

Baekhyun eyes starts to water and tears drop to the ground non stop. He is having difficulty to breathe and he's clutching onto his sweater so hard. He wants to scream but no sound coming out from his lips. He just continue to cry hard and holding onto Chanyeol's phone tight. And then, he could hear the strikes of the bell. It is 12am of 25th December and people all around him are wishing Merry Christmas to each other. But here he is, holding onto something belongs to the man he loves so much, the man who left him even before he could even see his face or hear his voice, the man he will never be able to hold his hands. His love is broken into pieces on the night of Christmas.