12.04

Counting Stars


Sehun came earlier the next night, hoping to have some time to think by himself, time to think about Luhan, time to think about the weird symptoms he's been feeling, but coming earlier proved futile as Luhan was already at the scene in his usual position, head leaning softly against the old tree.

Luhan was counting under his breath when Sehun arrived. Leaning against the tree with his eyes looking up to the night sky, Luhan looked unusually serious seemingly having this air of silence around him, and Sehun felt awkward standing there and watching him.

He didn't know what to do. Was he supposed to say hello and let Luhan know of his presence or could he just stand there and watch? 

No, no, you'd look like a stalker, Oh Sehun. Just say hello or something.

He sighed and took a step towards Luhan. He felt his heart involuntarily quicken when the boy turned to face him with that innocent smile of his. It was a weird feeling, an unusual symptom Sehun didn't know of.

“Oh, you're here.” Luhan greeted with a smile.

Sehun bobbed his head and smiled politely at Luhan. His heart was still beating an unaccustomed pace, and he was desperately trying to calm it down, albeit failing miserably.

“How was your day, Hun?”

I spent it thinking about you-- No, what are you thinking, Sehun? Fix your thoughts!

Sehun cleared his throat and sat down beside Luhan, making sure as usual that his face steered clear of his emotions.

“It was okay, I guess.”

The older boy tapped his chin playfully.

“Just okay?”

Sehun hummed a yes and looked at Luhan from the side.

“How about you?”

Luhan shrugged.

“Boring as usual.”

“As usual?”

Luhan nodded, “My life is really boring, Hun. At least it was before you came.”

Sehun leaned against the tree and turned his head to face Luhan with his brow raised.

“Am I supposed to take that as a compliment or an insult?”

“Of course it's a compliment," Luhan answered with a huff, "I think. . .”

Sehun shook his head in amusement.

“You think?” he asked sarcastically.

Luhan pursed his lips while nodding as if he was really thinking about it.

“I think," he answered decisively.

Luhan faced him, and Sehun found himself catching his breath once again as Luhan looked at him with those bright eyes and soft smile.

“You're really a wonder, Sehun. I wouldn't think of coming here every night if it wasn't for you. I honestly wouldn't mind coming here every night just to meet you, Hun.”

Sehun's heart was beating so loudly he was afraid Luhan could hear it. He didn't know why Luhan was suddenly saying those things. He didn't know why he was so affected by it. He didn't know why his heart was beating so fast. He didn't know why he was actually thinking the same way as Luhan, and he definitely didn't know why he told Luhan that he felt the same way.

“M-me too.”

Luhan chuckled and gave Sehun his usual eye smile before ruffling the younger's hair.

“You're so cute.”

Sehun frowned and furrowed his brows, trying to calm down his heart. He got Luhan's wrist and took it away from his head.

“You have to stop doing that, Lu-hyung.”

You don't know how much you're affecting with your simple actions-- wait, did I just think that? No, no, you're going crazy, Oh Sehun. Calm down and think straight.

He quickly let go of Luhan and took a quick inhale of the night air. He flattened his messed up hair and looked away from Luhan to calm himself.

One. Two. Three. Four--

His thoughts stopped when he heard Luhan cough from the side. He quickly turned to face Luhan, worry clear in his dull brown eyes.

“Are you okay?”

Luhan coughed once more but smiled at Sehun assuredly.

“I-I'm okay. Just a bit cold.”

Sehun frowned and removed his scarf from his neck.

“Use this.”

Luhan waved the scarf away and cleared his throat.

“No, no, there's no need, Sehun. It was just a cough.”

Sehun rolled his eyes and leaned closer to place the scarf around Luhan's neck.

“Just a cough my ," Sehun started roughly, breath hitting Luhan's face softly, "you were cold the first time we met too so just use it. I don't like it when you refuse me."

Luhan finally gave in and nodded his head gingerly while Sehun wrapped the red scarf around his neck.

Sehun sat back down after placing the scarf around Luhan and leaned against the tree once more. He looked away from Luhan who just sat stiffly beside him, feeling awkward with the sudden silence.  

I probably seemed like a nagging mother. Why did I have to overreact? Stupid Sehun.

Sehun heaved a sigh and looked up at the sky. 

Well, at least he won't be cold anymore.

 


The silence stayed for a while more before Luhan decided to speak up.

“Sehun,” he started.

The boy being called turned to face Luhan with raised brows, as if telling him to go on and say whatever he was going to say.

"Gomawo, Oh Sehun. Jeongmal Gomawo."

Sehun tilted his head, surprised by the sudden sincere gratitude the older was giving off.

“What's with the sudden seriousness?”

Luhan shook his head and smiled at Sehun, causing the younger boy's heart to start beating its unaccustomed pace again.

“Nothing, I just—umm—really, thank you.”

Sehun took a sharp intake of breath and tried his best to give Luhan what seemed like a smile.

I don't see the need for you to thank me that way though.

Sehun was about to say something else when Luhan coughed again. His body instinctively moved forward as if to catch Luhan. He looked at his hyung worriedly and bit his lip.

“Are you really okay?”

Luhan smiled at him cheerfully and waved Sehun away.

“I'm fine, never better actually. . . and it might just be because of you.” Luhan answered, only adding the last part so softly that Sehun wouldn't hear.

But Sehun did hear, and that last part had made the butterflies in his stomach flutter endlessly for the rest of the night.