12.02

Counting Stars


Sehun found himself walking back to the hill the next night. Honestly, he didn't know why he was doing it. Simple curiosity? He would like to think so, but somehow, it was different. There was just something about this mysterious stranger, something about this boy called Luhan, something that seemed to make Sehun want to know more about him.

Sehun was never the curious type so this was definitely a first.

Some things are better left unsaid. Remember that, Sehun. Curiosity killed the cat.

That was what he had told Sehun, and Sehun has always lived his life following these principles. And yet, there he was in his usual black over-coat and red scarf, trudging up a hill just to see if the boy from last night would be there again.

No, Sehun, you're not there for that weird guy. You're just there to relax because you weren't able to last night. You're not there for Luhan. Not for Luhan, not for Luhan, not for Lu-- 

“Hello.”

Sehun almost tripped when he heard the familiar voice coming from behind him.

“Luhan-sshi?” Sehun turned his head hesitantly to the sound of the voice and paused seeing the smiling boy who was waving at him cheerfully.

Sehun suddenly felt a certain warm feeling in his chest. It was a feeling he hadn't felt before, but one thing he did know was that he wasn't supposed to feel this way. There wasn't supposed to be a thumping in his chest that made him feel oddly uncomfortable and awkward.

Luhan was once again wearing a sweater. Only, it was white in colour this time. His ash brown hair was as dishevelled as it was the night before, and his eyes had that twinkling glow that captured Sehun once again.

“You remembered my name,” he noted with a soft smile.

Sehun didn't trust himself enough to give a smart reply so he just gave Luhan a stiff nod which the boy chuckled at.

“You're very interesting. I don't see people like you often.”

Sehun felt his heart constrict. What was that supposed to mean?

He let his face steer clear of his emotions and just watched as Luhan rose up from his position and made his way to him.

“You said your name was Oh Sehun, right?”

Sehun took a careful step back.

“Y-yeah.”

He cursed himself mentally for stuttering. He didn't even know what was there to stutter about. He didn't know why he was feeling so tense and weird.

The older boy simply smiled at him, and the thumping in his chest was back again.

“I like your name.”

“Thanks, I like it too.”

The boy laughed once more, and Sehun found it interesting how his eyes would turn into slits and how crinkles would form around his eyes when he did that. It was interesting how someone who looked so pale and sickly could look so bright and energetic. It was interesting how the boy talked so casually to someone he just met. It was interesting how Sehun was feeling right now. The feeling of curiosity was interesting.

 


 

“Sehun.” Luhan called when they were finally relaxing and leaning against the tree.

“Hmm?”

The boy looked at him with his big brown eyes and his lips.

“Do you come here often?”

Sehun bobbed his head in thought.

“It would depend on what your definition for often is though.”

Luhan nodded along. He was tapping his fingers playfully on Sehun's thigh while humming a random tune which made the younger boy tense and weird. Sehun was about to tell him to stop when the boy suddenly stopped on his own accord and faced Sehun.

“Yesterday was my first time here, Sehun.”

Sehun pursed his lips and faced the boy.

“Why do you keep saying my name?” Sehun asked, ignoring the previous statement.

Luhan smiled that dazzling smile of his and looked up at the sky. He had that distant look in his face. It was the same look Sehun saw the night before when he was about to leave.

“I told you. It's because I like your name, although, you gave me quite a rude reply for it. I know you're younger than me, Sehun. I can feel it.”

“Please stop saying my name. It feels weird.”

The older boy chuckled.

“You're really interesting, Sehun.”

“You're pretty interesting yourself, Luhan.”

Luhan faced Sehun and started poking the younger boy's head with a pout.

“Hey, I told you I was older than you, right? What's with that disrespectful tone? You should call me Lu-hyung or something.”

Sehun ignored the older boy's complaint and just continued staring up at the sky. Now that he actually looked at it, Sehun realized that the sky really was beautiful. The stars were so high up in the sky, and yet they twinkled so brightly. They were interesting just like the boy beside him who was poking him incessantly.

Sehun sighed as he faced Luhan and grabbed his hand, surprising the older boy. Sehun smirked at his success.

“Lu-hyung.”

Luhan stared blankly as Sehun leaned closer, close enough that he could feel the older boy’s warm breath fan against his face.

“Is that good enough?” he asked in a low whisper.

Luhan awkwardly cleared his throat and looked away, a soft red slightly tinting his cheeks.

“Y-yeah, t-that's very good, my dongsaeng.”

Luhan laughed heartily and ruffled Sehun's unkept hair.

“Your hair is so fluffy,” he laughed awkwardly.

“Speak for yourself, Mr Bed hair.”

Sehun swatted Luhan's hand away and proceeded to flatten his hair with a frown. There was an awkward silence after that, and Sehun found himself looking at the older boy. This close, he could see that Luhan had really long lashes, long lashes that girls would probably be jealous of.

“Lu-hyung.”

The older boy faced him and raised his brow.

“Will I see you again?”