03

Lost and Found

Blah blah blah...

That was everything Yuri heard as Yunho narrated his life story since they parted ways.

“Wow,” she replied monotonously.

Understanding the sarcasm, Yunho tried to lighten the mood a bit by giving the floor to Yuri. "So, how have you been, Yuri-ah? Tell me, what has happened to you?"

Yuri looked out the window. She unconsciously bit her fingernails while her free hand drummed its fingers on the table…

_____

A knight in shining armor. The rain after the drought. A rainbow after the rain - that's what Yoochun was to me.

Everyone has moved on. My real parents moved on after giving birth to me. Yunho have moved on after being adopted by an American family. Even the nuns in the convent had decided to move on to a different town... without me. No matter how good-hearted the nuns are, they can’t deny how much of a burden I am to them. Being over-aged to be adopted, uneducated, unemployed, what use do they have of me? Other than pity, they have no other reason to take me in.

I was collecting the washing that day as the nuns excitedly waited to meet the land owners. Not long after, two jet black cars stopped in the convent entrance. The chauffer of the first car opened the passenger door for a man and a woman in their 50s. Their clothes were well-ironed. Their hair was neatly tucked on their heads. Their faces were almost ethereal if not for their expensive smile plastered on their faces in spite of the special treatment the nuns are giving them.

The second car was driven by a man in his 20s. Perhaps, almost the same age as mine. He is as beautiful as the first two guests. He must be the son. He is the total opposite, though. His mere presence brightened up the place. And when he smiled, his eyes smiles, too.

The day after that, he came to a convent again. I was mopping the floors that time and I really try hard to act as if I was invisible having learnt that it’s rude to stare and it’s evil to eavesdrop. However, I can’t help but make a mental note to myself how weird it is to bring flowers and fruits to the nuns when they’re going to talk about business, right?

"Yuri, right?” as he extended his right hand.

Ahhh! Please don't look at me with those smiling eyes. How do you expect me to answer.

 “I’m Park Yoochun. Since you don’t have parents, I just asked the Mother Superior whether I could take you out on a date? They said yes, would you?"

I don’t know how red my face turned and seriously, my heart skipped a beat. I didn’t even realized that the floor I was mopping dry is soaking wet again.

If I was talking out loud, I would be punished by the nuns for misusing the name of the Lord,  but For God’s sake, YES. I would be such a fool if I turn you down.

That date was followed by another. It became a weekly thing until it became unbearable for us not to see each other in a day. Before I know it, he is down on his knees with a ring on his hand.

We knew it’s going to be a very long engagement. He fought for me over his parents who wanted him married to a daughter of a prominent political figure. He left their business of managing their hotel in the capital and chose to build his own real estate empire which he started on this town.

Despite of all those obstacles, our first year since we moved in together was a blast. Our weekend mornings were spent by the beach, running together on the shore. When we’re tired, we would soak our feet in the water laugh at whose foot becomes prune-like first. And if the weather is good, we’d look for a good spot for fishing and have our catch grilled for lunch. At night time, we’d play classic jazz music and get lost in our very own world as we danced into it. During winter, we’d lay by the fire, dream of the future, and make love.

To celebrate our first year, he started a Luau tradition open to all his land tenants. To quote his exact words: "So I could shout, show, and remind the world how much I love you."

Yoochun chose to stay with me rather than his parents. He chose to stay with me rather than the good life he has in the city. He chose to stay beside me and move on in his life with me. I loved Yoochun for reasons I can’t count.
_____

Yunho held Yuri’s hand to stop the annoying drumming sound.

“Yuri-ah, you’re spacing out.”  

“Sorry. I need to go.”

“Yuri, I know what’s going on. I hear everything at night.”

“Then, what’s the point of asking 'how are you'?”

“We ARE best of friends, remember? You can still tell me anything and everything under the sun.”

“We WERE best of friends… that I can remember,” Yuri coldly replied as she walked out of the café.

Yunho stopped Yuri’s tracks with his hand on her wrist, “I’m sincerely sorry for making you wait for a long time. Let me make up to all the lost years. Come with me to America. I don’t want you to live this horrible life with your husband.”

“Three things, Jung Yunho or whatever your English name is now. First, he is not my husband… yet. Second,  you have no right to speak to him like that because you don’t know a single thing about him. Lastly, you have no right to ask me to come with you as if we’re still close.”

Yuri started walking away again. Yunho ran after her and kneeled.

“Ok. Ok. Ok. I know it was not good to meddle with your life. But I happen to have spied on you so I know your husband goes to the capital to work every day and comes back only at night.” Yunho panted. And when he finally caught his breath, he said, “Can you at least have lunch with me every day until my project in Korea is over? For old time’s sake?”

Yuri rolled her eyes as her silence was tormenting. Nevertheless, her answer made Yunho jumped in joy.

“Just for old time’s sake.”