01

Lost and Found

It’s 12:00 midnight in Yunho’s alarm clock. His clock made an annoying noise but what woke the entire house hold were his feet, which excitedly darted to Yuri’s bedroom just to announce that it’s his 17th birthday.

“Yah! Wake up!” he yelled. “You should be the first one to greet me!”

But Yuri didn’t move. As usual, Yunho was excited to see what Yuri has for him for his birthday. Yuri was always good with gifts and hiding in them. He recalled receiving a limited edition Iron Man comic book (which depleted her savings) on his 12th birthday hidden amongst the pages of the bible in the chapel. He clearly remembered that day as both of them were punished by the nuns to kneel in front of the bible for hours because of “playing” in the chapel premises. And so knowing Yuri, he started checking her drawers, opening jars, scanning her books, hoping to find his present.

“Yuri-ah! Wake up! I give up! Don’t make this hard for me. It’s my birthday.”

But Yuri didn’t move. He took off her wool blanket just to find a life-sized bolster with a paper face plastered on it. Yunho’s eyes sparkled as he read the note on it that says, “When was it ever easy for you to find your gift? Never!”

“Let the game begin,” he smirked.

Yunho knew Yuri too well. He took out the bolster cover and turned it inside-out where a biscuit wrapper was stuck using a bubble gum. “Eww. Yuri. What else do I expect? Gross as usual.” He ran to the kitchen, took a stool, and opened the cupboard atop of the stacked pots and pans. He reached for a cookie jar, filled with biscuits instead, and poured all its contents on the floor. As if a child exploring his new toy, Yunho inspected the tin and the lid, carefully looking for any changes. Without success, Yunho started opening each wrapper and biting each of the biscuits until he came across an odd tasting decoy biscuit. He cracked the biscuit opened and inside was white soap (thinly slice to make a good substitute for a biscuit filling). Yunho disregarded the mess he made and made a mental note to himself to clean up before the nuns wake up. He ran to the bathroom on his way to find his next clue. When he got there, his eyes make a quick scan of the area looking for something that was moved or changed. Alas! He took the rope tied around the shower curtain and started running to the shore where an old wooden plank walkway lay. At the end of it he saw Yuri sitting still with her legs dangling on the cold lake.

He ran on the sand, catching his breath, as he shouted, “Yah! It’s too easy for me, you know? I think you’re losing your edge on this hiding game! Where’s my present?”

Yuri didn’t move. She didn’t even look at him. Yunho slowed down as he walked towards her. He touched the rope connecting the poles of the wooden walkway. Which part of this where Yuri got the rope, he doesn’t care. Why is Yuri being weird today, of all days, stealing his moment on his very special day? That’s all he cared about.

Yunho silently sat beside Yuri. And still testing the waters, he tried to joke, “So the gift is just you, is it?”

Yuri looked at him with her face covered in tears. How long she was crying and how much she has cried, he doesn’t know.

“Aish! If you don’t have money to buy me a gift it’s ok. You don’t need to cry over that.”

Yuri buried her face on his shoulder and started bursting “Oppa, later they’re going to take you. Later, you’re going to have a new family. Later, you’ll ride that stupid plane and will have a new home. You’ll have new friends.”

Yunho felt guilty. In the past few days he was so busy packing his things and spending time with his foster parents that he didn’t have enough time preparing Yuri emotionally.

“Yuri, we can always write letters to each other. I heard e-mail is faster. You can ask Mother Superior to buy a computer and teach you how to use it. I’ll also come by to visit you if I start earning money. Promise.”

Yuri sniffed and showed signs of calming down. She isn’t really convinced with the means of how they’re going to keep in touch but she believes on his promise. Then, it dawned onto her that it is Yunho’s birthday. And he was right… she doesn’t have money to buy him a present. She held onto her pendant, the only treasure her parents left of her, and pulled it from her neck.

“This is my gift for you. I know you don’t believe in St. Anthony but who knows when you might need it.”

“This is precious to you so I’ll accept it even if I don’t need it. You’re the one who’s messy and the one who keeps losing things. I commend your parents for having the gift of foresight and giving you this!”

 Finally, Yuri graced a smile on her face. She put her head on Yunho’s shoulder as they watched the lighthouse hypnotically draw lines on the dark water awaiting for the morn, Yuri breaks the silence.

 “Oppa, do you love me?”

Yes and no. I wish I could tell you how much I love you but it will just make things more complicated for both of us. Sorry.

_____

“Sir, we’re already right in front of Duplex 283B!” the cab driver shouted. He doesn’t know how long he had been drifting in his sleep. He took his luggage from the trunk and gave the pissed driver a huge tip for the hassle.

When he is already alone, it dawned unto him that the place is a stranger to him. Everything has changed. The convent is gone, the lighthouse is obsolete, and the small town is busier. Now, landed duplexes rise where the convent used to stand. Even the willow tree, where he and Yuri used to play hide-and-seek, didn’t escape the cruelty of developing the area. A few blocks away, he could hear people in bars and small restaurants crowd the beach. He dragged his luggage on the bricked pathway leading to Duplex 283B.

He gave a sigh as he open his door. He recalled his dream… his promise. Where do I start finding you, Yuri?