Call Me Oppa

Call Me Oppa

It had been a while since you’d last seen each other and the first chance you both had to go on a date you took with both hands. Namjoon had planned today from start to finish and to be honest you hadn’t been disappointed yet. He’d woken you up this morning with breakfast in bed – which was absolutely delicious though you suspected he’d bought it rather than made it – before he’d ushered you into the car. He’d surprised you with a day at the beach, since he knew it was your favourite place to go and he’d even brought along Jjang-gu though he seemed to be a bit put out with the fact that he couldn’t drive and you could. You were sure you heard him mumble something about ‘losing his masculine pride’ but you paid him no mind, too excited by the prospect of sun, sand and sea.

The drive in itself wasn’t too long, it only took about thirty minutes, but to you it had felt like a million years. You loved the beach very much since it was the only thing here that was the same as in your home country and sharing it with your most favourite person in the world was an added bonus. The second you killed the engine you shot out the door, Jjang-gu struggling to keep up with you, and ran as fast as you could towards the water. You could hear Namjoon openly laughing at you but soon the sound was swallowed up by the roar of the sea. You stood there and just watched the waves lapping at the shore for what felt like hours before you felt Namjoon’s hands envelope your waist and his head rest on your shoulder. You both had a silly smile on your face as you stood there for an eternity, having each other.

Eventually Namjoon gently tugged your waist and pulled you backwards towards the towels and food he must have set up while you had been busy admiring the ocean. There was everything from kimchi to hotteok to ddeokbokki and even some dishes from your home country that he must have made himself. You were absolutely amazed, and quite frankly moved, by the amount of effort he must have put into the day that you began to slightly tear up. Namjoon had a silly smile on his face from your reaction and he simply pulled you into his side, before he kissed the side of your head, and began dishing out the food.

You spent the next couple of hours eating and just talking with each other. You talked about how things were going with him and s and how things were going for you at college. You joked and teased each other and everything was going fine until he asked you which of s you liked the most – apart from him obviously.

“I like Jin oppa the most.” you answered him truthfully without looking at him.

“Huh?” he grunted in confusion.

“I said I like Jin oppa the most.” you repeated again in a louder voice though this time you turned and looked into his face, where there was definitely a pout forming.

“No, I heard what you said but why did you call him oppa?” he asked you, seeming utterly perplexed by your answer.

“Erm, because he is my oppa?” you said though it came out more like a question.

“But you never call me oppa….” he eventually trailed off after a silence that had lasted a few moments.

“Joonie, don’t take it like that. I just don’t feel comfortable calling you oppa.” you tried to explain in a calm voice, though you could feel the giggles rising. He was being way too cute right now.

“But jagi….” he whined with a definite pout on his face right now. Again you tried to hold back the laughter, causing a smile to form on your face.

“You know, I’ve only just realised that you never call me noona since I’m technically older than you.” you brought up, trying to make him feel even more flustered than he was now. It was a novel experience for you to see the usually calm and always chill Namjoon being rattled and you were definitely enjoying it.

“But… but….” he hesitated, obviously at a loss.

“Exactly. Anyway, I think my legs have fallen asleep. Wanna come for a walk with me?” you asked with a smile on your face as you started getting up and wiping the sand off of your jeans.

“You sure you don’t wanna call Jin ‘oppa’?” he remarked somewhat bitterly, though he stayed put.

“I heard that and I don’t wanna call him, I wanna spend time with my silly boyfriend who had jealousy issues.” you tried to appease him but he still hadn’t moved an inch.

“I’ll get up and go for a walk with you if you call me oppa.” he tried to bargain with you. He suddenly had a bright smile on his face - his dimple was even showing  - as he started getting up. You weren’t about to fall for his charms, though affected you were.

“No.” you deadpanned as you shook your head.

“Yes.” he repeated though by this point you had already turned away from him.

“No.” you simply said as you shook your head again and started walking without Namjoon by your side.

“___-ya!” he called as he walked behind you, still with a pout on his face.

“Namjoon it’s never going to happen. Just accept it, arrasso?” you chirped with a teasing smirk on your face. You found his whining, whinging and pleading more adorable than annoying but it still wouldn’t change your mind.

“Says who?” he asked with an arched eyebrow. His ego was obviously bruised and now he had taken your words as a direct challenge but it was better to have him like this than to be upset with you so you played along.

“Says me!” you told him in the most arrogant voice you could muster. You put your hands on your hips and arched your eyebrow also, which immediately caused Namjoon to chuckle at you. He always liked teasing you but he enjoyed it more when you back.

“Looks like you’ll have to change my mind then…” you trailed off as you dared him with your eyes.

“I will so you better start running!” he hollered at you as he took off with Jjang-gu hot on his heels. You ran as fast as your legs would take you but despite your best efforts it only took a few minutes for him to catch up with you. He wrapped his strong arms around your waist and lifted you up as he span around. You both laughed and giggled like crazy but before you knew what was going on Namjoon began heading for the water. You began struggling in the hope of getting out before it was too late but in return he only tightened his arms that were holding you prisoner. Eventually you gave up and shut your eyes tightly, accepting your fate.

Only a few seconds passed before you felt yourself flying through the air and then being enveloped by the encroaching tide. He hadn’t thrown you far or high and since it was a rather warm day you found the cool of the sea refreshing. You laughed as you rolled around in the shallow water and before long Namjoon and Jjang-gu were by your side as you indulged in the fun you barely had time for these days. You played in the water for quite a while and by the end the both of you were utterly soaked. You fell into Namjoon’s waiting arms with a last giggle before he carried you back to the towels and helped you dry off.

“I call Jin oppa because he really feels like my older brother. He takes care of me and he gives me advice. I’ve never had an older brother but if I were to have one I would want him to be exactly like Jin. To be honest I’ve never understood this part of Korean culture because if we were siblings this situation would be highly inappropriate? I don’t call you oppa because I don’t see you as my brother. Does that make sense Joonie?” you explained as best as you could to him. You hoped he finally understood why you didn’t call him oppa and why you never would.

“Yeah it kind of does…” he eventually admitted with a somewhat bashful smile on his face

“Don’t worry; I love you more than I love Jin.” you assured him as you stuck your tongue at him, teasing him for his irrational jealousy.

“And I love you more than I love Jin.” he retorted in a teasing voice as he led you back to the car. He helped you settle back into the car and held your hand as you drove home. Together.