february 29.

February 29, 2014.

 

Kyungsoo wakes up and gets ready for school, just like any other usual days in his life. He wakes up around 0530 hours (he likes to use 24-hours system instead of 12-hours because, just because) and takes his shower. Everything seems usual since he wakes up, nothing new but Kyungsoo could senses that something is not right but he could not figures out what is that something. He shakes his weird thought for that ‘something’ away and eats his breakfast silently.

He lives alone in his own unit in the apartment since he goes to one of the best high schools in Seoul, South Korea and his parents are currently living in Mokpo. They decide to buy him a unit in a ten-minutes-walk-from-school’s apartment so their only son could study in that prestige school. Kyungsoo thanks his parents for trusting him enough; he does that every night since them Skype with each other every single night. Calls him a ‘mama boy’ because he does not care, he loves them very much.  

He locks the door and walks to school but he fails to realize the date of the day, 29 February 2014.

 

-

 

Even though Kyungsoo symbolizes a good and hardworking student, he is just like any other teenagers that have a crush towards another. But, in Kyungsoo’s case, it is not really similar to ‘any other teenagers’ since Kyungsoo is a guy that has a crush on a guy. In other simple words, he is a homoual; he prefers much better than s so he would never say he is biual. Well, you could not really blame him since his crush is definitely a damn good-looking one and in addition, that guy is a dancer. Who would not love a y hot dancer like Kim Jongin? Kyungsoo believes that Kim Jongin has forty-seven chromosomes instead forty-six because that one addition chromosome is y. Kyungsoo’s friends, Minseok and Jongdae laughed for about three minutes after he told them his own theory of ‘one-addition-chromosome’.

Kyungsoo’s last class on Monday ends around 1545 hours and after the bell rings, Kyungsoo would politely takes his bag and ignores his two best friends for the sake of Kim Jongin. He has been doing that since two or three months ago because he knows that Jongin would always stay in the school until 1730 hours. Jongin has a secret place; an empty classroom that has been his place to dance, dance and dance. No, Kyungsoo is not a stalker because like seriously, Kyungsoo is probably the nicest person you ever met and being a stalker would never be his hobby or job in the future. He prefers to call himself as a ‘Jongin’s secret guidance’ because stalker sounds.. awful.

Back to the story of Jongin and his secret place, Kyungsoo could proudly say that he knows that place by himself.

 

( Flashback; )

“So, how do you find out about that place?” Jongdae asked him three weeks ago and with a happy face, he told him about the beautiful (weird, said by Jongdae and boring, said by Minseok) story of ‘How I find Jongin’s secret place’.

 

Kyungsoo was staying back because his Biology’s teacher requested him to clean the lab and he would never say ‘no’ so being a good student as usual, he said that he could clean the lab all by himself. His Biology’s teacher handed him the lab’s key and some instructions about what should he cleaned and everything. He took notes of it mentally and assured his teacher that everything would be finished by himself so trust him, he said.

He was about to clean the windows when he realized that he probably should clean them with water as well. Bad luck accompanied on that day since all the sinks in the lab would not functioned, at all. He walked out from the lab and looked at his right and left to find any nearest toilet. He saw one at the end of the corridor where the lab placed so he took the small pail that he found just now with him. As he made his way to the toilet, he swore he heard a faint sound of music. That sound gave him a creepy feeling since he thought he was the only one in the school. ‘Ghost does not like music, no?’ that was his mind said but he was not really agreed with his mind.

He followed the music sound and there he was; standing in front of abandoned classroom, he figured since he never saw anyone went to this class. He pushed the door slowly and silently mouthing a ‘thank you’ to the door for not making any noise. In the abandoned classroom, he saw a guy; a really good-looking guy and he mentally smacked his head because that guy was Kim Jongin, the one that he admired from afar since one year ago. Kim Jongin was dancing to the beat of the song before the song ended and Jongin stopped his dance as well. Kyungsoo’s mind politely asked himself to stop being creepy and moved straight away to the toilet before Jongin could notice his presence. He mentally noted the pathway to the empty, abandoned classroom when he walked back to Biology’s lab because he was going to come back to that place again for tomorrow and the next day onward.

 

“Man, you sound like a stalker,” Jongdae said.

“Hush, Jongdae. It was a good story, really,” Minseok laughed.

“Whatever and good, yeah right. You are totally bad in lying, Minseok,” Jongdae laughed at the amount of ridiculousness in Kyungsoo’s story.

( End of flashback; )

 

So, like the other days in his life, Kyungsoo makes his way to the empty and abandoned classroom; Jongin’s heaven, Kyungsoo said. Jongin is already there, dancing to the beat of the song as usual and Kyungsoo would always sit at the outside of the classroom, taking a few glances into the classroom once in a while. That is what he does every day and so far, Jongin never notices his presence and he prefers it like that.

“Uh,” Kyungsoo stares at the creature in front of him for about thirty seconds without saying anything; he is staring and staring because he could not believe this.

“What are you doing here?” Jongin asks him with such a simple question but it is so hard for Kyungsoo to answer because he could not tell him about how Kyungsoo has been his ‘secret guidance’ for almost every day because Jongin would call him a stalker because, just because.

“I was..” Kyungsoo could not find the exact words to defend him so he left his words hanging.

“Never mind. Do you want to eat something? I’m hungry,” Jongin stares at Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo swears that this is one of the unbelievable moments in his life because Jongin is asking him if he wants to eat something? Is this how you feel when your crush asks you for a date? Wait, silly, this is not a date, right?

“You can consider this offer as a date or whatever but hurry up and make up your mind, I am hungry,” Kyungsoo nods enthusiastically while having a mental note to himself about Jongin is a mind reader and handsome and something something.

They walk, side by side and Kyungsoo has the sudden feels to intertwine Jongin’s fingers and his but that is—

“What?” Jongin says as Kyungsoo stares at his left hand that is with Jongin’s right hand. He swears that Jongin is a mind reader, a handsome mind reader. They continue their walk by saying nothing to each other but Kyungsoo does not mind that because everything seems perfect right now.

 

-

 

Their dinner (first dinner and Kyungsoo wishes they would have more in the future) ends perfectly even though they only grab those foods from a vendor stall but street foods are good, especially when you are eating them with your crush. They have some mini talks while eating and Jongin tells Kyungsoo that he likes to dance but he hates studying. Kyungsoo tells Jongin that he likes studying and singing. Jongin asks Kyungsoo to sing but he says no because he is too shy. Jongin smiles and that is the smile that Kyungsoo has always been staring at since forever.

“You are cute,” Jongin blurts it out softly but loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear. Kyungsoo chuckles softly and his cheeks turns pink but he blames the change of skin’s color to the weather instead of Jongin’s compliment. He is still smiling due to Jongin’s three words even though they are standing in front of Kyungsoo’s place already.

“Thank you for walking me home,” Kyungsoo says while standing in front of his door, waiting for Jongin to walk away.

“No problem,” Jongin remains standing.

“Uh, I guess, I would see you tomorrow then?” Kyungsoo grins at Jongin before turns to his door and unlock—

Jongin’s lips was on Kyungsoo’s and he wonders how this happens because he swears, he was about to unlock his door so why are they kissing right now? Jongin does not seem to answer the curiosity in Kyungsoo’s mind even though Jongin has been a mind reader for the whole day (not really whole but whatever).

Jongin pulls away after Kyungsoo’s lips and he walks away, just like that and Kyungsoo swears that is the weirdest thing that has ever happen to him. He stands still in front of his own door for about five minutes before reality hits him. He walks in and decides that he should talk to Jongin tomorrow about the kiss. No, that would be weird so yes, he would just start their conversation about the.. dinner, yes, the dinner.

He grabs his blanket and stares at the clock beside his nightstand before closing his eyes because it has already past 2345 hours; 29 February 2014.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo wakes up and gets ready for school because one, he is being really excited to tell Jongdae and Minseok about his ‘dinner date’ with Jongin and second, he wishes he could meet Jongin again and they could have a mini talk about the ki—dinner, yes.

He enters the school with a huge amount of happiness but people greet him with gloomy faces. He stares at the weather and shrugs both of his shoulders because it is a good day; there is no rain or whatsoever so why is everyone being gloomy? He walks to his class and finds Minseok and Jongdae.. also with gloomy faces.

“Man, what’s up?” Kyungsoo starts a conversation and Minseok stares at him with dull face.

“Kyungsoo, are you okay? You are not affected by this news, right?” Jongdae replies Kyungsoo’s question with another questions and seriously, Kyungsoo is too dumb to understand anything right now.

“What are you talking about? What news?” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at both of his friends.

“Jongin? Jongin is dead, Kyungsoo,” Minseok breaks the news and Kyungsoo stares at Minseok and Jongdae with his wide eyes.

“You are kidding me! He was with me yesterday,”

“He is dead, Kyungsoo. They found him in an abandoned classroom, near to Biology’s lab on 28 February 2014, which was yesterday,” Minseok gulps his own saliva as he says that.

“Yesterday? 28 February? It is 29 February yesterday!” Kyungsoo says in kind of loud voice, earning attentions from some students.

“Kyungsoo, there is no 29 February in 2014,” Jongdae shows him the calendar in his phone and Kyungsoo could not believe it. One, he swears he was with Jongin yesterday and he swears he saw 29 February 2014 at his clock, right before he went to sleep last night. If Jongin was found dead on 28 and there is no 29 February, what is the right explanation for yesterday’s event?

Kyungsoo does not has the answer for his own question.