His Ice-Cold Protector

His Ice-Cold Protector

*DAY 0*

            “WHAT!? NO!! I don’t want any bodyguard, Dad!” Eunhyuk frantically screamed. And, as usual, whenever he screamed like that all the phones in the house mansion would ring. Why would they ring? Because Eunhyuk's scream was always so loud it disturbed the entire town. Yes, you read it right. THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD.

            "... Sometimes I wonder why I didn't make this entire house soundproof." Mr. Lee shook his head. "Look, Hyukjae. This is for your safety..."

            "I still don't want any bodyguard! Dad, I am not a kid anymore and I don't want to be watched by someone I don't know 24/7. I'm fine by my own, really! Besides, don't forget that I am a black belt in Karate!" Eunhyuk argued, sounding full of confidence at the last part of his statement. His father still looked at him with an I'm-not-convinced-yet look.

            "Even if you are a black belt in every single martial arts known to mankind, I will still assign you a bodyguard." Eunhyuk opened his mouth to answer, "I'm not finished, young man!" He gritted his teeth in defeat.

            "It's final. You don't have a say on this one. He'll come here tomorrow." Eunhyuk glared at his father. "Fine," he said, "but I bet he won't stand a week working here. Oh scratch that, he won't even last three days!" He smirked at Mr. Lee.

            "How about this, Dad?" His smirk was still plastered on his face, "if he so happens to survive three days working as my bodyguard, then I'll accept this decision. BUT if he fails to do so, then I don't need anymore bodyguard. No matter what. Forever and ever."

            Mr. Lee thought about it for a while, and he nodded. "Fine, three days starting tomorrow." Eunhyuk grinned. "Okay, thanks dad! You're the best!" He hugged his father lovingly and ran straight to the game room.

            The older Lee sighed and dropped his body onto the couch. "Hope that guy can stand him... Oh Hyukkie, since when did you become this spoiled?"

 

*DAY 1*

            "Hyukjae, this is Donghae. Donghae, this is my son Hyukjae." The man called Donghae nodded. Eunhyuk's eyes immediately scanned his new bodyguard. He wasn't really tall. In fact, he's shorter than Eunhyuk by a tiny bit of difference. He had straight dark hair and an ideally muscular body.

            His most interesting feature, however, was his face. His both sharp and peaceful eyes, straight face, and indifferent expression gave him an ice-cold persona. He definitely fitted people's usual definiton of a perfect bodyguard.

            Or rather, Eunhyuk's definition of a perfect bodyguard.

            "I have to go now," Mr. Lee suddenly said, "see you later, Hyuk!" He hugged his only son and looked at Donghae. Donghae noticed the worry in his big boss' gaze and nodded his head, signaling him to leave his son to him. Mr. Lee smiled and got into his silver Audi R8 and sped away from the mansion.

            As soon as the car left his sight, Eunhyuk turned at Donghae. "I'm Eunhyuk. Don't call me Hyukjae or Hyuk or worse, Hyukkie. And I don't need a in' bodyguard so leave me alone." He said coldly and took his leave. Donghae followed him, of course, and Eunhyuk knew that would happen.

            "Yah, are you deaf?"

            Donghae shook his head.

            "Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?"

            Donghae nodded.

            "So why are you still following me!?" Eunhyuk was getting impatient and frustrated. Donghae on the other hand just shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

            "WHAT THE !? Are all bodyguards like you!?" Eunhyuk almost screamed in anger. He barely held it because disturbing the neighborhood was never a good idea.

            Donghae shook his head and just eyed his master intensely. Eunhyuk was both bothered and embarrassed because of the glare Donghae was giving to him.

            "F-fine! Stop looking at me like that!" He half-shouted and ran into the mansion. Donghae shrugged and shook his head before he followed his new boss inside.

            **

            Eunhyuk was playing with his brand new Nintendo 3DS when he felt someone else's presence in his room. He turned around and jumped in surprise when he saw Donghae standing next to the door.

            "HOLY !" He shouted, "since whe- wait, that's not the point. What are you doing inside my room!?" Donghae rolled his eyes. Eunhyuk never liked it when someone barged into his room without his permission. "Get. Out. Of. My. Room. NOW." He said, emphasizing every single word.

            Donghae shook his head and remained at his place. Eunhyuk lost his patience... Well, he barely had one to begin with.

            "I SAID GET OUT!" Donghae shook his head. "GOSH YOU'RE UNBELIEVEABLE!" Eunhyuk screamed at the top of his lungs and soon every single phone in the house rang wildly. "..." He muttered. He immediately stood up and grabbed Donghae by the collar.

            "Listen, Donghae. I don't know if you're deaf, mute, autistic, or any other I haven't said yet. I'll let you go for now because I'm being a nice Lee. But if you dare to do something that makes me this angry again, I swear that I'll make sure you get kicked out of this job as soon as possible!" Eunhyuk threatened, but to his surprise Donghae was smirking.

            His bodyguard Donghae just smirked at him.

            And the problem was, Eunhyuk liked, wait no, loved it.

            "Y-Y-YAH! W-What are you smirking at!?" Eunhyuk said, flustered by the sudden change in his bodyguard's facial expressions. But instead of answering him, Donghae just shrugged and returned back to his generic expression: straight, cold, and seemingly unfazed by anything.

            'WHAT THE WAS THAT SMIRK FOR!?' Eunhyuk screamed inside his head, 'AND WHY THE AM I AFFECTED BY IT!? It's just a smirk, a stupid smirk! Wait no, that was the iest smirk ever... What? Nooo, it was ugly. He's ugly... What did I just say? He's handsome... He's y... I want hi- WHAT AM I THINKING!? You're straight Lee Hyukjae. YOU'RE ING STRAIGHT! But he's...'

            "AAARGH ASDFGHJKL@&%“^`÷¤!" Donghae jumped a bit in surprise because of his young boss' sudden scream and growl that contained some curse words. "YOU GET OUT NOW! I WANT TO SLEEP!" Eunhyuk spat at him. Donghae nodded and left the room but stayed in front of the door.

            And even from the outside, Donghae could hear his boss rambling and muttering something incoherent, although some parts could be heard clearly. Like...

            "... Can't get attracted to him..."

            And,

            "... -ant him... -o leave..."

            Donghae smirked again.

 

*DAY 2*

            "Young master, wake up please! You're going to be late!"

            "Urgh five more minutes..."

            "Young master Eunhyuk, please wake up!"

            "Damn it!" Eunhyuk muffled under his pillow. "Fine, fine! I'm awake now, Luna!" The girl called Luna smiled brightly, even brighter than the morning sun. "Morning to you too, young master Eunhyuk! Your favorite breakfast is ready, so get ready quickly! Chop chop!" Luna chirmed as she skipped happily outside.

            "Aish that girl has too much energy!" He groaned as he wobbled to the bathroom. But just before he entered the bathroom, he caught a familiar figure from the corner of his left eye standing firmly in front of his room.

            "Yah, you're still here?" Eunhyuk asked. He had no energy left to shout at his bodyguard. Donghae looked at Eunhyuk and nodded, then he looked away to the hallway.

            "Weirdo..." Eunhyuk mumbled. He continued to wobble his way inside the bathroom.

            **

            "Just what I expect from the best chef I've ever met! These are excellent as usual, Luna-ah!" Mr. Lee said gleefully and clapped his hands in amusement.

            "I have to agree with you, Dad. Luna-ah, thanks again for continuing to work with us even though you got an offer to work at one of the Michelin-starred restaurant!" Eunhyuk added. Luna's cooking never failed to amaze him and everyone else in the mansion.

            "Thank you Mr. Lee! I'll continue to cook more delicious dishes for you! And you're welcome, Eunhyuk!" Luna said cheerfully and winked at Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk rolled his eyes to look annoyed, but deep inside he was jumping with joy.

            Why wouldn't he when he had this huge crush on Luna since God-knows-when?

            "Hae-ssi! What do you want to eat?" Eunhyuk turned his head to Luna and Donghae. 'Hae-ssi? Ewh." He thought. Donghae shook his head, gesturing the young chef that he didn't want to eat. Luna nodded her head and skipped happily to the kitchen.

            "You're going to regret it." Eunhyuk suddenly said. Donghae looked at him and raised one of his eyebrows. At that moment, Eunhyuk swore he felt thousands of butterflies flying around inside his stomach.

           "I-I mean... Lu-Luna's cooking is really, really delicious so i-if you refused it you're going to regret it. Y-yeah, that's it." He said with much difficulties. Donghae nodded.

            And in a split second, he smirked.

            Donghae smirked again.

            And Eunhyuk melted.

            'HOLY ! DON'T SMIRK YOU BASTARD!' Eunhyuk screamed... Inside his head. 'Don't you ing know what ing effect that ing smirk ing did to me? ing !!' He started to hit his head strongly. Donghae on the other hand only observed his boss closely.

            **

            "Finally! Now I won't have to study History for the entire week!" Ryeowook said with a pleasant smile plastered on his face. Eunhyuk nodded in agreement. "But there's still Humanity lesson tomorrow. Aish! Give me my Chemistry!" This time, Eunhyuk just rolled his eyes. "I don't like them all. Waste of time."

            "Yeah, yeah. The only lesson that never waste your time is Dancing." It was Ryeowook's turn to roll his eyes. "Oh, I have to go! My Singing lesson will start soon!" Ryeowook ran to the door. "Wait, Ryeowook! Say hello to Luna from me!" Eunhyuk shouted. Ryeowook and Luna studied Singing together and truth to be told, that made Eunhyuk jealous as hell. "Dae, hyung! See you later!" Ryeowook gave him a thumb up and dashed away.

            "Well, time to go to my Dancing class." Eunhyuk said, putting his books into the bag and walked enthusiastically to his favorite class.

            **

            "WHAT THE ING ARE YOU DOING HERE!" Eunhyuk pointed an accusing finger at his bodyguard who just shrugged his shoulders.

            They were at Eunhyuk's Dancing class. Well, with Donghae there, that class wouldn't be Eunhyuk's favorite class anymore.

            "Watch your words, Mr. Lee. And your finger, please." Mrs. Kang said, scarily. Eunhyuk had no choice but to comply. "B-but ma'am! What is THIS GUY doing here!?" He asked with a bewildered look.

            "Well... Your father kind of entrusted him to me. He said this Donghae here," she pointed at Donghae, "can do some awesome dance stuffs."

            Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow while eyeing his bodyguard. "Well the only awesome thing I know about this Donghae here," he pointed at Donghae in a similar manner as his teacher, "is that he's like a plown field." Mrs. Kang raised an eyebrow in a similar manner as Eunhyuk. "A plown field?"

            "Yep. FLAT." He said, emphasizing the word 'flat'. Donghae shrugged, again. To Eunhyuk, shrugging Donghae was already a normal sight.

            "But I kinda tested him earlier..." Mrs. Kang said, "and he... Well, he's good."

            "Really?" He asked, "from a scale of Heechul to Yunho-sunbae, what would you rate him?"

            "Michael Jackson." Mrs. Kang immediately and firmly stated. Eunhyuk's jaw dropped.

            "WHAT!?" Eunhyuk shouted in an exasperated manner. "That's not possible! Even I haven't reached that level yet!"

            "And you're the best student I ever have! But this guy is just ridiculously talented!" Mrs. Kang said. "No, I don't believe you. Believe me, I tried to believe you but I just can't, okay? No offense, Donghae, but you? Dancing? That's like watching a penguin flailing side to side!" Eunhyuk said.

            Donghae smirked instead of shrugging like usual, as if he wanted to say, "you don't believe me? Watch." He then walked calmly to the music player. He then a song.

            It was 'y, Free, and Single' by Super Junior, Eunhyuk's favorite song.

            And right then, for the first time in his entire life, Eunhyuk actually saw someone who actually danced his favorite song perfectly. And that someone had to be Donghae, of all people.

            The way Donghae moved his hands, his legs, his hips, all part of his body. The way he bit his lower lips while moving swiftly from place to place.

            Eunhyuk had no choice but to take his words back.

            "See?" Mrs. Kang nudged his side which made him snapped out of his trance. "That guy's Michael Jackson's reincarnation. Comparing him to anyone is like comparing MJ to his background dancer. Both are good, but only MJ took the spotlight."

            Eunhyuk went silent. Then he approached Donghae slowly. The latter just looked at him with a confused face. Then Eunhyuk whispered,

            "Sorry. You're good."

            **

            "Hyung, did something happened?" Ryeowook asked while eyeing Eunhyuk from head to toe. Eunhyuk had this weirdest look that could make him mistaken as an asylum patient on the run.

            "Nothing happened." Eunhyuk said, the smile still hadn't left his face. Ryeowook still looked at him with an I-don't-trust-you-hyung look.

            "Really now...?" He asked, "oh by the way, Luna said hello to you too."

            The smile finally dropped. Eunhyuk had completely forgot that he had a crush on Luna. But now, now he's sure...

            He loved Donghae.

            He fell in love with Donghae since his father first introduced them, but he had only realized it before, during the dancing class.

            But how about Luna?

            Even with all his feelings towards the bodyguard, he had to admit he still liked Luna.

            Eunhyuk fell silent, thinking about Luna and Donghae. Ryeowook on the other hand had another class soon so he had no choice but to ditch his daydreaming friend.

            "See you tomorrow, hyung!" He shouted while leaving the classroom.

            **

            Eunhyuk slumped himself into his bed. He went home only to find both Luna and Donghae still hadn't arrived home yet.

            "What to do..." He thought out loud.

            "Do what?" A voice suddenly said. Eunhyuk jerked in surprise and fell of his bed.

            "OUCH! VICTORIA!" He shouted. Victoria, another maid in the Lee residence, gave him an apologetic look.

            "I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd fell like that... Sorry~?" She said while doing aegyo. Eunhyuk rolled his eyes in annoyance. He hated aegyo because he couldn't resist it.

            "Tch... Fine... But why are you here?" He asked. Victoria looked at him with a confused look.

            "Why aren't I? I worked here so I am here." She asked back. Eunhyuk, realizing his own stupid question, wanted to introduce his palm to his face.

            Victoria noticed that his master seemed to be a little bit off. "Something wrong, young master Eunhyuk?" She asked.

            Eunhyuk didn't say anything. 'Should I tell her?' He thought. But he decided that Victoria was trustable and mature enough to give him suggestion. So he told Victoria everything. About Luna, about dancing class, about... Donghae.

            Victoria listened intently without saying anything. After Eunhyuk finished, she laughed. Hard.

            "YAH! I just told you a secret that not even my dad knows! And you're laughing at me!?" He said, bewildered. Victoria still laughed while tears escaped the corner of her eyes.

            "Hahahaha... Hahaha... Haha! Aish young master I swear this amount of laughing can make me young again!" She said in between her laughs. After a good five minutes wasted on Victoria's effort to stop laughing, she said something that caught Eunhyuk off guard.

            "Just choose Donghae. He's the one for you." She said. Eunhyuk looked at her with a what-are-you-saying look.

            "Because..." She continued, "Luna will reject you if you confess to her."

            "Huh!?" Eunhyuk said, still confused, "how can you tell that for sure? I haven't eve-"

            "And that's because," she interrupted, "Luna and I... We're dating, young master Eunhyuk." She said while grinning widely. Eunhyuk's jaw finally dropped.

            "W-w-w-w-w..." Eunhyuk was at a loss of words. "S-s-since w-w-when!?" He asked while stuttering.

            "Since before we worked here." Victoria answered confidently. "We've been dating for a good 6 years... And counting."

            "S-s-s-so are you saying..." He asked, "that I... I've been in love with a... Taken woman...?"

            "Yes." She said, "which is why I said that Donghae is the one for you. I think he likes you, too. You're too dense sometimes, young master." She grinned like an otaku who had finally found her OTP. Eunhyuk went silent.

            "Donghae... Likes me?"

 

*DAY 3*

            For the first time in Eunhyuk's life, he woke up without Luna's cheerful chirps or the most annoying voices in the world AKA his alarm rings.

            "Good mo- eh?" Luna appeared out of nowhere. "Wow! What happened, young master Eunhyuk?" She asked. Eunhyuk rolled his eyes.

            "Am I not allowed to wake up by myself?" He asked. Luna chuckled, "of course not!" She smiled, "and come on! Breakfast is ready!" She then went outside while humming f(x)'s "Electric Shock". Eunhyuk stopped doing whatever he was about to do when he heard it.

            'Electric shock...' He thought, 'that's what I feel whenever I saw Donghae...'

            **

           "Donghae? He's still sleeping." Kyuhyun, the gardener,  said while he snipped the tall bushes with his scissors.

            "That block of ice can sleep!?" Eunhyuk exclaimed. Kyuhyun laughed.

            "Yeah, he looked so tired when he got home yesterday. He immediately went to sleep and I couldn't wake him up this morning." He said, "but it's his duty to watch over you, isn't it young master Eunhyuk? If you want, I can wa-" "there's no need to. Let him sleep." Eunhyuk interrupted him. Kyuhyun smiled at him.

            "That's very nice of you to say that, young master Eunhyuk. But..." He paused for a while before continuing, "I heard you made a bet with your father about his job?"

            A pang of realization hit Eunhyuk hard. ',' he thought, 'I had forgot about it completely. What should I do?'

            Truth to be told, Eunhyuk wanted Donghae to be his bodyguard forever, maybe even beyond that. But the bet... He never lost a bet before and he never intended to.

            But he wanted Donghae.

            But he wanted to win.

            ...

            ...

            ...

            "."

            **

            Eunhyuk was eating his steak alone in the living room. Alone. Not because his father wasn't home yet. In fact, his father didn't go to his office. Not because his father had eaten already. In fact, his father was hungry as and could devour the entire house if possible. Not because he had a fight with his father. In fact, his father had just gave him a warm family hug.

            He ate alone because he needed to think.

            About the bet which he desperately needed to win.

            About Donghae, the man who had captured his heart.

            About his father's smug face, should he lost the bet.

            He was thinking too hard that he didn't notice that he wasn't alone.

            A faint and sudden sound captured Eunhyuk's attention, and he whipped his head to its direction.

            There stood Donghae. He looked fresh, seemed like he had just took a shower. Actually Eunhyuk wanted to spazz at him, but he had too many things in mind and he couldn't bother himself with more.

            He looked at his watch. 10.45 p.m.. An hour and fifteen minutes more before the date changed.

            An hour and fifteen minutes more to decide between the one he loves and the ego that he never objects to.

            He sighed.

            'I can't decide,' he thought, 'at this rate I'm going to lose him... What to do...' He wanted to throw his head into the wall so that he could stop worrying but he was a coward.

            Time continued to tick and Eunhyuk continued to struggle with himself. When he looked at the time again, it had already been 45 minutes.

            45 minutes wasted and no decision came into mind.

            'Sigh... What should I do...' He thought, '30 minutes left...'

            Suddenly Eunhyuk remembered something. He went to his room and grabbed his jacket. 'Donghae, I want to go to the park. Are you coming with me?' The said person looked surprised, for his master's words weren't filled with anger or hatred like usual. He just nodded and followed him.

            **

            The park was empty, obviously. Eunhyuk didn't expect anything there. Even the ice cream parlor he usually went to whenever he came to the park was closed.

            Eunhyuk never went there with someone else. He liked to think of that park as his isolation place, where no one could disturb him, bother him. But Donghae was a special exception.

            Eunhyuk looked at his watch. 'Ten minutes left', he thought.

            "Donghae..." He said, turning to look at Donghae in the face, "do you remember the bet I made with my father?" Donghae nodded. "Do you know that today is the day that I have to decide whether you stay as my bodyguard or get fired?" Another nod.

            "I..." He paused, "I don't know... I don't know what to do, Donghae..." Donghae raised one of his eyebrow. "I want to win the bet. I really do..."

            "But I don't want to lose you..." Eunhyuk said, "you've become the new part of my life already. You can't just leave like that... I don't want you to leave..."

            "Donghae... I..." 'This is it...' Eunhyuk thought, "I... L-love you..."

            Silence.

            Silence.

            Silence.

            "..." No one said anything. Eunhyuk looked at his watch. One last minute.

            "That's why..." He broke the silence, "I had decided that..."

            Five...

            "The decision, is..."

            Four...

            "You, Donghae..."

            Three...

            "You will..."

            Two...

            One...

            "Stay. And be my bodyguard for the rest of your live."

            Zero. Eunhyuk looked at his watch for the last time. 12.00 a.m..

            He lifted his head to meet Donghae's smiling face.

            He was smiling, or should Eunhyuk described it as grinning widely.

            "... Thank you, Eunhyuk..." Eunhyuk's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "Y-Y-Y-YOU CAN TALK!?" Luckily the park was a bit far from his house so his neighbors couldn't hear his scream.

            "No one ever said that I am mute." He rolled his eyes but still smiling. "I just prefer to not talking whenever I worked. Eventually it became a habit so I rarely talked." He said. Eunhyuk's jaw still hung wide open. He never thought that Donghae could speak that much.

            "I... I thought you were mute... That's why I never asked!" He said, bewildered.

            "Well, enough about that. Eunhyuk..." Donghae said, walking closer to the said person. Eunhyuk didn't move at all, more like he wanted Donghae to come closer.

            "I love you too." Their lips met and soon they were intoxicated with each other's taste. They kissed as thought there's no tomorrow. They pulled off only because they needed air.

            "Donghae... You'll stay by my side, right?"

            "I won't leave you forever, Eunhyuk."

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: My first one-shot! I hope you like it~ Thanks for reading! :) *bows 90 degrees*