I.

tea leaves

“Hold still, you little .”

“Shut up, it stings,” whined Sehun as Jongin raked pink-stained plastic gloved fingers through the other’s hair.

“Then you shouldn’t have bleached it three times, and stopped changing your mind about what colour of the ing rainbow you wanted on your head,” Jongin smacked Sehun’s head before moving back and peeling the gloves off, “I’m done here.”

It was such a routine now; Sehun dying his hair for the umpteenth time, Jongin smacking him for being stupid. Jongin figured he could probably be a hairdresser now considering the amount of hair dying, t, and styling he had engaged in. It drove him nuts sometimes; the younger had such a short attention span and it was even worse as it was coupled with an insistence of keeping up with the latest trend (or rather, ahead of the latest trend). But what could he do when he had grown up with the brat and knew him better than anyone? Not much, but to play to the whims and fickleness of his best friend.

“You should bleach your hair. I bet platinum blond would look amazing on you since you have that caramel skin tone.”

“And you look like a ghost. Why don’t you just dye it red and green for Christmas, idiot. Remind me why you think destroying your hair is a good idea?”

“Doesn’t it look good?”

“All I can say at least this is better than the time you looked like a pack of skittles exploded on your head.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Every colour looks good on my complexion,” Sehun stated in a matter of fact tone as he placed a shower cap over his head, “And maybe that cute manager at Te will notice and comment on how much he likes it.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. If he earned a dollar for every time he rolled his eyes at something Sehun did or said, he’d probably be a millionaire. Sometimes he wondered if this would affect his eyesight someday. What a winning combination; an attention span of a five year old, hipster behaviour, and a tendency to become utterly obsessed with something (or someone in this case) to the point Jongin wanted to knock him out. Because when Sehun became obsessed, he displayed unrelenting behaviour and would more often than not speak far too much. Well, until his lack of attention span kicked in anyway, leading to him dropping his obsession like a hot potato. So when Sehun had first started going on about some guy at a teahouse he had begun to frequent, Jongin had scoffed.

Two weeks. I give it two weeks before he stops mentioning the dude ever again.

But at end of the second week, Sehun had simply transformed into an even more infatuated squealing fangirl, bounding in one afternoon screaming, “I heard Luhan’s Chinese! He was speaking with some other Chinese guy and guhuhuhuhuh I’m so !!!”

It was almost the fourth week now, and admittedly Jongin was pretty surprised he was still going on about the guy. But he was mostly surprised Sehun hadn’t attempted to make a move.

“Why don’t you just talk to him? You go there almost every freaking day. He must be blind as if he can’t tell you’re staring at him with puppy dog eyes,” Jongin chucked the gloves into the garbage basket, “I can’t believe it has almost been a month. This is a record. I should write this down in history and show it to you when you’re old and wrinkly. Oh Sehun. Obsessed with teahouse Chinese dude for four weeks without making a move.”

“I caaaaan’t, he’s definitely older. I don’t know how to deal with him. Plus, I think he might be dating the other Chinese guy that keeps coming in.”

“What is it about the guy that gets you like this?”

“If you saw him you would get me.”

“Uh huh.”

“You should come with me to Te today.”

“Haha…no. There’s no way I’m going to a teahouse. Way too hipster for me to handle. I can foresee myself drowning in hipster-ness. You’re already more than enough. I get a headache going into your room with all your artsy .”

“Come on! You said you have to write your lab report anyway. Just come with me and write it there. Better than going to a Starbucks. You know, you’re supporting a multi-million corporation that sells unhealthy overpriced whip cream on coffee water, rather than a local company that promotes sustainability-”

“OH GOD. Don’t even start,” Jongin jammed his fingers into his ears immediately and exited the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind him, “Please, just rinse out your ing hair and we’ll go after. As long as you don’t start with that again. And please don’t shower for an hour!”

 

 

 

“You better promise not to steal him. Actually, you wouldn’t be able to…he has better taste. Just don’t even think of doing anything!”

Jongin groaned and rubbed his palm over his face as they walked up the steps to the tea house. It was trendier looking than he had expected. The floor was covered in large grey stone while the walls were lined with planks of pale wood. Modern looking white rectangular blocks of lights adorned the walls. Glossy dark wood tables with black chairs and leather couches covered the floor area, while the counter stood near the back of the tea house. Shelves of tea lined the back wall and assorted pastries sat inside glass shelves. A moderate amount of Christmas decorations also covered the teahouse, with a Christmas tree settled in the middle of the floor space. They settled into a couch near the window and Jongin made himself comfortable, pulling off his jacket while Sehun stared toward the back.

“Is he here?”

“I don’t see him. Maybe he’ll show soon. Sometimes he serves too.”

“And I suppose that’s where your share of this month’s rent has been going to? His tips?”

“I said I’d pay you back! I needed the money for paint supplies and plaster for class!”

“Ya okay.”

“I’m following my passions. It’s not my fault you’re majoring in something you don’t give a about.”

Jongin ignored him. Sehun liked to rag on him about this every once in a while. That he was majoring in physiology without really giving a crap about it at all. Whatever. He just wanted to get a degree at this point to shut his parents up. It wasn’t like he really knew what he wanted to do otherwise anyway. Good enough.

Sehun suddenly clamped his hand down on Jongin's arm excitedly, whispering loudly "There he is!"

He was of small stature, skinny, with reddish dyed hair contrasting pale skin, chatting animatedly to a customer in front of the counter. Odd. He didn't look like he'd be Sehun's type.

"What's so special-" the guy turned around, displaying wide eyes and pretty lips, and their eyes met.

"Oh."

Jongin's breath hitched as their eyes connected, and as the other turned back around, he realized that he had been holding his breath. .

"Where are you looking? The doorway, you idiot!"

Now this guy was completely Sehun's type. Sehun tended to take interest girly guys who felt they were lost and misunderstood by the world. And those girly guys always tended to easily fall right into the boy’s lap.

This Luhan was also wide eyed like the redhead, but in a slightly gentler way, in a more doe eyed manner with fluttery eyelashes, and a button nose on a slightly feminine face. He was taller than the redhead, as well as a bit more built and toned. He was dressed all in black; dress shirt, dress pants, and shiny black shoes, all contrasting with the shock of light orange hair swept up from his forehead. Ha. Orange hair.

“So typical,” he said as he saw his friend stare dreamily at Luhan, “You don’t have to worry about it. If he’s like every pretty boy you’ve lurked, you’re going to get him. Easy. So I don’t even know why you’re taking so long to make a move.”

“He’s not like every guy I’ve liked, okay. I know he looks like a pretty boy but he’s completely manly.”

“Whatever,” Jongin muttered and refocused his attention to the redhead behind the counter.

He had busied himself by wiping down the counter, unaware of the eyes that followed his movements from the boy across the teahouse.

“Hello,” an easygoing voice interrupted Jongin redhead-watching activities, “You’re back with a friend?”

Luhan stood in front of them, smile gracing his lips, and Jongin wanted to snort at the panicking expression on his best friend’s face. He held it down and ended up smirking instead as Sehun fumbled with his introduction.

“Hi! Ya! I’m back! Um. This is Jongin, my roommate. But like, friend roommate! We’re good friends! We’ve been friends since young. That’s it. Nothing more. Yep.”

“Stop talking,” Jongin murmured to Sehun to stop himself from embarrassing himself some more as he watched Luhan’s expression become both amused and bemused.

He smiled at Luhan and they greeted one another as Sehun mentally slapped himself in the head.

“So I heard from Sehun you’re the manager here? You look pretty young. And you’re Chinese, right?”

Sehun kicked his friend then and shot him a glare. ing Oh Sehun. What was wrong with asking? Jongin managed to grit down his smile as his eyes watered from the pain, and he made a mental note to make his lovely friend pay for this later.

“Oh, I’m actually 23. And from Beijing. I came here on exchange in my second year and liked it so much I ended up transferring here permanently. I just finished at Yonsei last year in business administration, and managed to snag this job. I always intended to my own café or restaurant so I figured it’d be good to pick up on the inner workings of one by working as a manager.”

Hm. Jongin glanced over at Sehun. Luhan was not an artsy type and seemed solid on his feet. That was new.

“Cool. Not sure if Sehun mentioned it, but he’s in Fine Arts. So I get to put up with all the wonderful scents of paint and acrylic and plaster at our apartment. I’m in physiology myself.”

“No, Sehun didn’t,” Luhan smiled at the younger, “But I think that suits him. You don’t look like you’d be in physiology though.”

Jongin grunted and let it sit.

“Hyung, the new batch of lavender is here!” The redhead called out.

“I’ll be right there!” Luhan shouted back, “I’m sorry, I’ve got to go. I’ll call Kyungsoo to serve you guys.”

“No problem, please go ahead,” Jongin nodded.

Before Luhan strode off, he flashed a smile at Sehun and complimented, “Sehun, the new colour suits you.”

Oh god. There was definitely never going to be an end to Sehun hair dying adventures now. The brightest smile was on the boy’s face and he repeatedly punched Jongin in the arm in happiness.

“I told you! I told you I told you I told you!” he shouted excitedly as his friend groaned and shoved him away.

Before Jongin could say anything more, he spotted the redhead coming toward them from behind the counter, so he ended up sitting there staring as Sehun continued to spew gibberish.

“Hi Sehun. You look really happy,” the redhead greeted.

“Kyungsoo hyung!”

“Yes, Sehun,” Kyungsoo laughed, “Judging by your face, it has to do with Luhan, I’m assuming?”

The two chattered as Jongin sat there like a statue, eyes on said-Kyungsoo the entire time. He practically filtered out Sehun’s voice as he watched the words come out of redhead’s pretty lips, and the beautiful heart shape that formed on his face every time he laughed or smiled.

“…but of course. Well, what can I get you guys?”

“The usual for me. Jongin here…oh I forgot. This is my friend Jongin. He’s the idiot roommate I mentioned before.”

Jongin came out of his stupor and spluttered “Idiot roommate?!” as Kyungsoo chuckled, “I’m in physio! You’re the one in arts!”

“Hey. Back off of arts,” Sehun warned.

“Whatever man, I’m expecting you to show off your arts degree with your fantastic barista skills at a coffee shop. Starbucks, maybe,” Jongin glanced at Kyungsoo then, “No offence.”

Kyungsoo laughed again.

“Shut the up,” Sehun tried to kick Jongin again but this time, he was ready and managed to pull his legs back before receiving the blow.

“So? What will it be for you?”

“I’ll just have whatever he’s having.”

“Okay. I’ll be back!” Kyungsoo moved back behind the counter and Jongin shook Sehun lightly with his eyes still on the boy.

“What!”

“His name is Kyungsoo?”

“Ya. So?”

“You seem to know him well. Hyung?”

“Well I’ve been here practically everyday for the past month, you know, so we talk. He figured out I was mostly coming for Luhan, so he told me some stuff about him and…wait,” Sehun stopped, a sly smile slowly appearing on his face, “Why are you asking…are you perhaps…interested?”

Jongin gave a noncommittal shrug and unsurprisingly, Sehun began to cackle with glee.

“You can forget it. Hyung would never go for you.”

“Are you laughing with that opinion in mind?”

“It’s no opinion. It’s a fact. He’s only focused on working and saving money to go back to school.”

“So he wants to go back to school…if that’s all then it shouldn’t be a problem. I thought you meant he doesn’t swing this way.”

“Oh, well. That I don’t know, actually. He doesn’t talk that much about himself. Our conversations usually revolve around Luhan. And me,” Sehun paused, “Mostly me.”

“You narcissistic little .”

 

 

 

The two left the teahouse before dinner, but little did Sehun know that Jongin swung back around later that evening to see if he could catch Kyungsoo. Ignoring the “closed” sign, he tried pushing open the front door. It opened. He walked in and flicked off any snow that had settled on his jacket, ruffling his hair lightly.

“Sorry but we’re closed-oh. It’s you,” Kyungsoo appeared from behind the counter.

“Hi,” Jongin gave a small wave, walking up to the smaller.

“What are you doing here? Did you forget something?”

“No no. I just figured I’d try my luck and see if I could catch you closing up.”

“Well, you caught me,” Kyungsoo pulled off his black apron and hung it up on a hook, “What’s up? Is this about Sehun?”

“Not at all.”

“Oh. Okay well, what is it?” Kyungsoo turned out most of the lights and pulled out a set of keys from the apron pocket.

The only lights left on were the ones blinking from the Christmas tree and the white and blue Christmas icicle lights decorated along the walls.

“I just wanted to see if you’d want to go grab a drink with me,” Jongin tried to act as casual as possible, leaning one arm onto the counter.

Kyungsoo stopped and turned to look at him with his wide eyes, multicoloured lights reflecting off them, “Are you asking me out?”

“Maybe…ya?”

Kyungsoo chuckled and pulled on his black coat, and began walking toward the entrance, keys jingling in his hand.

“Look, I’m flattered, but I’m not really interested,” he opened the door and signaled for Jongin to exit.

“You’re not interested in going out, or you’re not interested in me?” Jongin asked as the other closed the door and began locking up.

“Hmm. I think a bit of both,” Kyungsoo slid the keys back into his pockets and walked down the steps, Jongin trailing behind.

“Is it because Sehun said I’m an idiot?”

Kyungsoo burst out laughing, and Jongin decided he really liked listening and watching him laugh.

“I’ll see you around. Have a good night, Jongin,” the boy smiled at him and walked down the snow covered street.

Jongin also decided he really liked the way his name rolled off Kyungsoo’s lips.

 

 

 

For the next two weeks, Jongin found himself tagging along with Sehun to Te more often than not. He continued to observe Kyungsoo, making minimal progress while Sehun sniggered from behind his fist. The elder continued to act as casual as they first met, but mostly keeping to himself. He gave him limited attention and Jongin was beginning to feel like he was desperately craving for more.

“Can you not?” Jongin glared at him after a particularly awkward exchange that left Kyungsoo absolutely bewildered, no thanks to Sehun’s constant snorts at everything that was coming out of Jongin’s mouth.

“Sorry,” Sehun chortled, “You look hilarious. You act like you’re so cool all the time but then you start talking to him and you sound like a complete idiot.”

“Look who’s talking. At least I actually tried. And I’m not the one going Hi Luhan. Hi. Hey. How are you? It’s nice today, right? Really nice. Gosh it’s nice. Giggle giggle,” Jongin mocked.

“You try conversing with a 23 year old. It’s hard!”

“You have nothing in common with him. He’s grown up and working hard to open his own place, while you’re just this skinny kid who has zero notion of what he’ll be doing in life. And NO, creating abstract in the apartment that nobody can figure out is not a life goal.”

“People can figure out my art, ok. And it’s not like you know what you’re doing in life. Kyungsoo has nothing in common with you either. You’re just getting that degree for your parents. You don’t even like your major. But he knows what he’s doing. He’s saving up to do what you’re taking for granted. And what the hell are you going to do after graduation?”

“I’ll worry about that when it gets here,” Jongin grunted, “For now I’ll just focus on passing.”

“And trying to get into Kyungsoo’s pants, apparently.”

“ off. You’re the same with Luhan.”

“I heard my name?” Luhan appeared with a broad smile.

Sehun proceeded to choke on his own spit, and Jongin quickly smacked his back.

“Are you okay?” Luhan looked on, clearly worried.

“Ya,’ Sehun managed, eyes watering, “I’m okay.”

“Oh good. What were you guys talking about?”

“Just how you’re really on track in life and Sehun would like to learn,” Jongin said, “Because he’s like a lost little lamb.”

“Little lamb?” Sehun glared.

“Don’t worry about it. I used to be really lost also. It’s not easy, figuring out what you want to do in life and how to work toward the future. If you ever need advice, you can come to me,” Luhan smiled, “We can talk.”

“R…r…really?” Sehun squeaked, and Jongin had to stop himself from bursting out in laughter.

“Of course. Just let me know and we can set it up. But for now, I’ve got to get back to work. I’ll see you around,” he gave a little wave and headed to the back.

“I think I deserve a thanks because I basically gave you an excuse to score a date with him.”

“Lost little lamb though?!”

“Hey. He dug it. Normally the lost little lambs are the ones falling all over you. It’s about time you were one. Now if only I could figure out what Kyungsoo likes.”

“He’s like an owl. A wise owl. Normally you’re a so I think this time you need to be the wise owl,” Sehun mused.

“Shut up.”

“You know, you should dye your hair blond.”

“Are you kidding me right now?”

“Luhan likes my pink hair. He noticed it and complimented me.”

“You make it sound like you made a ton of progress. You don’t even have his number. And you wouldn’t have scored a potential date without me.”

“Okay, wingman of the year,” Sehun said sarcastically, “But at least I have that potential date and Luhan actually looks like he gives a about me.”

Jongin then practically knocked over Sehun’s cup of chai latte right onto his Macbook, much to his dismay as the pink haired boy flapped and screeched.

 

 

 

Jongin decided to try again. This time, he waited outside for Kyungsoo to close up.

“Hey,” he waved as Kyungsoo walked down the steps.

“Oh hi. You wanted to talk to me?”

“Yes. Still not interested in drinks?”

Kyungsoo laughed and cocked his head slightly, “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why are you asking again? What makes you think my answer will be different?”

“I don’t know. But it doesn’t hurt to try,” Jongin shrugged.

“It doesn’t hurt to get rejected?” Kyungsoo teased, and Jongin winced.

“Well if you put it that way…”

“Let’s go.”

“Wait…what? You’re saying yes?”

“But not as a date. Just as two strangers.”

Jongin was too happy to care. They went to a nearby bar that Sehun had once tugged him to. It was full of hipsters but it was cozy and comfortable, so he ignored all the bespectacled folk and ordered them both beers.

“Does Sehun know you came back to the teahouse?”

“Na. He would never shut up if he knew. Especially since you turned me down last time.”

“I suppose he told you about this bar?” Kyungsoo scanned the room.

“Ding ding ding! How right you are.”

“You didn’t seem the type to come here.”

“What type do I seem?”

“Truthfully?” Kyungsoo accepted his beer and took a sip, “You looks like a sports bar kind of guy. You definitely don’t look the type to be Sehun’s friend.”

“Well I grew up with him, so I know him as well as I know the back of my hand,” Jongin shrugged, “This isn’t your type of bar either, is it?”

“I’m not a bar person in general. I’m more of a…pojangmacha kind of guy. Soju rather than beer.”

“Oh sorry…I shouldn’t have ordered beer for you.”

“It’s okay. I have to open up tomorrow morning. It’s better to drink light.”

“Sehun mentioned…you’re working to save money to go back to school?”

“Ya. I regret having to drop. It…wasn’t what I wanted.”

“What were you in?”

“Psychology. But enough about me. What about you?”

“Physiology. I don’t really like it though. But my parents wanted me to get a degree. I guess it doesn’t help when both my sisters are doctors. I just needed to do something for them to shut up. So physiology it was.”

“No med school for you?”

“Nope. I’m too lazy. My grades weren’t up for it either.”

“So you’re half-assing your physiology major for your parents.”

“Pretty much.”

“Any idea what you really want to do?”

“No…I have no idea.”

“Is there anything you have interest in? A passion for? You could make it into your major.”

“Well, I’ve always liked dancing. But not enough for me to stick to it. I took some lessons when I was younger but I dropped out. Sports came pretty naturally to me also. But I never stayed long on any teams either.”

“You get distracted pretty easily, don’t you? Short attention span,” Kyungsoo smiled faintly.

“I guess. Better than Sehun though. He seriously has an attention span of a five year old.”

“He knows where his passion lies though. He’s doing what he likes. And he puts all his effort into it, you know?”

Jongin frowned. He felt like now Kyungsoo was now ragging on him for his major. Instead, he took a gulp of beer.

“I’m surprised he has been so insistent on Luhan. It’s a first.”

“I think it’s cute. He’s like a little lovesick puppy around Luhan.”

Jongin snorted, “It’s cute if you see him max a few hours a day. It’s not if you live with him and dealt with him for most of your life.”

“I’m sure you both care a lot for one another. It’s nice to have someone you know so well.”

“He can be a giant pain in the . But ya, he does care,” Jongin admitted.

“You two live together, right?”

“Yup. We moved out to share an apartment when we got into university. I didn’t want to put up with my parents’ incessant whining anymore. And Sehun wanted to live closer to campus. But now I get to put up with Sehun’s incessant whining,” Jongin joked.

“Do you guys work then? Rent must not be cheap.”

“Oh we share the rent half-half. But neither of us work. Our parents give us a stipend each month and we just figure it out. Covers rent, food, electricity, water and whatnot.”

“You live near the university?”

“About 10 minutes away from east of campus. Rent isn’t too bad. The place is pretty decent. But sometimes we cover for one another. Like last month, Sehun didn’t pay for all of his rent. According to him he spent more on art supplies and canvases. But I think a chunk of that money went to Te and Luhan’s tips.”

“Well, that always helps to keep my job,” Kyungsoo chuckled before finishing his beer and standing up.

“You’re leaving? Already?”

“Ya. I’m tired. I just want a hot shower and sleep.”

“Can we…do this again?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, and Jongin frowned.

“You seem nice…and you are cute,” Kyungsoo admitted, “But you and I…there’s no point. We’re after different things in life. We’re too different. I think it’s better if we just stick to me being a waiter and you being a customer at Te.”

“But…”

“I’ll see you next time you come to Te with Sehun. It was nice talking to you,” he smiled and pulled his coat on.

“Kyungsoo…”

“Good night, Jongin.”

Jongin continued to frown and he chugged his beer to the bottom, watching the door where the other boy had retreated without another glance.

Jongin still liked how his name rolled off Kyungsoo’s lips.

 

 

He hadn’t been back to Te since that evening. Finals period had hit, so Jongin was now mostly cooped up inside the apartment in an effort to study. And an effort to forget Kyungsoo’s face and pretty heart-shaped smile. There was also a snow storm, and even Sehun refused to go to Te. Not that it mattered as much now, because there he was lying on the couch, smile wide on his face as he tapped away on his phone, undoubtedly texting with Luhan. He had no finals, so he had gone and asked “for advice”; the two exchanged numbers to coordinate schedules. But obviously Sehun had more intentions than to just coordinate a time to meet now that he had the elder’s number.

“Can you stop it with the insufferable giggling, please?” Jongin strolled into the living room in sweatpants one morning, hair messy and yawning.

Sehun proceeded to giggle.

“What is so funny?” He complained as he poured himself a cup of coffee

Sehun shoved his phone in his face, and he saw it was a photo of Luhan with a light up reindeer headband placed on his head, “Merry Christmas” sign hanging across his chest, along with Kyungsoo next to him with a red Rudolph nose.

“,” Jongin stared at Kyungsoo, his resolve to forget the elder’s face quickly dissolving, and Sehun pulled it back, giggling again.

“How do you have this?”

“Luhan sent it to me.”

“Send it to me.”

“Uh, what?”

“Send that photo to me.”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“No!”

“Send it!”

“You said you were giving up!”

“OH SEHUN, SEND ME THAT DAMN PHOTO.”

Jongin got the photo.

 

 

 

“By the way,” Sehun dropped by Jongin’s room later that afternoon, “Thought you might like to know that Kyungsoo is sick.”

Jongin looked up from his laptop, “And…?”

“And he’s working right now but Luhan has ordered him to leave after this shift. Because he looks dead and probably has a hundred degree fever.”

“Are you ing stupid, he can’t have a hundred degree-”

“I’m exaggerating, you idiot. I’m telling you to go see him.”

“He probably doesn’t want to see me anyway. It’s not like I can do anything,” Jongin rolled his eyes and turned back to his lecture slides.

“Kyungsoo lives alone. There is nobody that can take care of him. Why do you think he dropped university? His mom died when he was younger and his dad doesn’t give a . He’s in prison.”

Suddenly, everything seemed to dawn on him. It made sense. Why they were different.

Jongin stared at Sehun completely exasperated, “Why did you decide to only tell me this now?”

“I only found out now. Luhan told me. You better get moving before Kyungsoo leaves,” Sehun stated and moved back to his room.

Jongin slammed his laptop shut. He tugged off his sweatpants and pulled on a pair of jeans, socks half on as he stumbled into the living room. He pulled his jacket and shoes on, rushing off to the teahouse he had become so familiar with.

 

 

 

A/N: There will be  part two =)