Wrong Sent - Final

Wrong Sent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The place where the stars collide, as Jongin had found out through research, was a little cafe hidden in the heart of the shopping district. Looking at it outside, no one would suspect that the little cafe exist. But if one looked closer, it lived up to its name, Stellar Collision. The ceiling was decorated with false stars and the room was dimly lit to get a night feeling even when the sun was actually at its peak outside.

 


Jongin sat at a corner table near enough to observe people but far enough not to be noticed. He had been there for an hour but there was no sign of the email sender, not that he would recognize him anyway. He was about to stand up and leave when the door opened, somehow brighting up the room with the light coming from outside, letting in a small figure of a boy with the most adorable doe-like eyes Jongin had ever seen. He would know as they had eye contact the moment the boy stepped in, brows furrowed in a confused yet annoyed expression.

 

 


"Kyungsoo, you're here again," the boy manning the counter greeted as Kyungsoo neared the counter.

 


Jongin jumped a little as he heard the boy's name and couldn't seem to take his eyes off of him. He observed, eyeing the boy from head to foot, familiarizing as many features of the boy as he can. He noticed that the Kyungsoo he was looking at was different from the Kyungsoo he read in the email. This one was smiling and happy as he greeted the boy at the counter with the same excited tone. The one in the email was sad, completely surrendering on life.

 


Jongin stared at the boy more as he was making his way to him, happy facade instantly replaced with a serious face.

 


"Is there a problem?" Kyungsoo inquired, not bothering to pretend he was friendly.

 


"No, there's no problem," Jongin replied, a smile spread on his face.

 


"Then why are you staring? Don't you know it's rude to stare?".

 

 


Jongin let out a small laugh at Kyungsoo's yness, knowing exactly that it was all for show. He knew exactly that he was neither happy nor y. If anything, he was miserable.

 


"I was not staring. I was simply observing," Jongin replied matter-of-factly.

 


"And why would you 'observe' me? I am not some zoo animal."

 


"I am observing because I'm interested," he smirked. But he meant what he said though. Kyungsoo had him stirred with just his email, all the more now that he had a face associated to the name. A face he found to be precious and wanted to see a genuine happy smile plastered on.

 

 


Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Jongin, clearly unimpressed at the pick-up line, if it could be called that, and turned to leave.

 


"My name is Jongin," he hurriedly announced, making Kyungsoo stop on his tracks.

 


He turned back, this time, with disbelief on his face. And Jongin did not expect what happened after that.

 


"Do you seriously think I could be easily toyed with? Who put you up to this? Was it Baekhyun?" when Jongin did not reply he continued. "Get out! Get out! OUT!" he grabbed Jongin's arm and dragged him out of the cafe, pushing him onto the street and left him to his bewilderment.

 

 

--

 

Jongin tried again the following week but he was met with disappointment when Kyungsoo did not show. He would have gone the next day after he was man-handled by Kyungsoo out of the cafe but told himself to give the boy some space to think. He dropped a bomb on him, knowing that Kyungsoo would have some sort of reaction by just his name. He just did not expect the reaction he received. He thought Kyungsoo would be all too excited, not too ballistic.

 


He went everyday after that, but still no sign that Kyungsoo would show and somehow Jongin was beginning to think that he would never see him again. He blew it. The one chance he had with Kyungsoo and he blew it because he rushed into things. After that day, Jongin decided he would never come again and accept defeat.

 


"Is this seat taken?" Jongin looked up and was surprised to see that the voice belonged to Kyungsoo. Jongin shook his head and motioned for Kyungsoo to take the seat across him.

 


"I'm sorry about last time," Kyungsoo started when he settled in his seat. "I asked my friend and he had no idea about you.".

 


Jongin looked at him confused, no idea as to what Kyungsoo was referring to. But he did not dwell on it and focused on the second chance he was given.

 


"It's okay. I should be the one apologising for having been rude," Jongin waved off.

 


"No, really, I'm sorry. I don't know what has gotten into me. As a token of apology, let me buy your next cup of coffee," Kyungsoo offered apologetically. "My name is Kyungsoo by the way. And I believe your name is Jongin.".

 


Jongin just smiled and reached out to receive Kyungsoo's hand in a handshake. The smaller boy, Jongin noticed, had soft hands and his lips turn into a pretty heart shape when he smiles. But it was an empty smile though, one that didn't reach the eyes.

 


"I'd love to take you on your free coffee offer but one cup is all I need for today. Why don't we save that for later so I'll have a reason to see you again.".

 


Kyungsoo was obviously taken-aback at Jongin's bluntness, but the latter wasn't anything but straight to the point. He'd never miss the chance to see the smaller boy again.

 


"How about tomorrow?" Jongin pressed on. He could see Kyungsoo was hesitating and battling with himself if he should accept Jongin's sudden proposal.

 


"Oh what the heck! Sure. Tomorrow," Kyungsoo agreed rather unsure if it was a good idea. He stood up to leave before changing his mind.

 


"Kyungsoo-sshi, I think it'd be best if we have lunch before coffee. What do you think?" Jongin pushed further, might as well go all the way now that the smaller boy was in an agreeing mood.

 


"Yeah, okay. Lunch. See you tomorrow at the restaurant by the beach, 12pm." Kyungsoo left, said goodbye to the boy at the counter, and out the door. Leaving a satisfied Jongin, smiling from ear to ear.

 

 

--

 


 "I knew someone who always used to sit in that same spot." Kyungsoo informed, motioning his head to express that he meant Jongin's spot.

 


"Yeah? What happened to him?" Jongin curiously inquired. What do you know? He did not only share the same name with the man, he also shared a spot in the cafe. That explained Kyungsoo's expression when they had that moment of eye contact the first time.

 


They were already in Stellar Collision, sipping their coffees, having had lunch at the restaurant by the beach. Jongin learned that the restaurant wasn't literally by the beach, it was named Restaurant by the Beach. And he further learned that Kyungsoo had that for names.

 


"He left," Kyungsoo replied. Although he tried to act non-chalant about his answer, Jongin could still see the twitch in his eyes when he said it.

 


"Why'd he leave?" Jongin let out before he could stop himself. He could see that Kyungsoo was uncomfortable about the question but he did not take his question back, curious as to how exactly did this other Jongin leave Kyungsoo and why he would leave in the first place.

 


Kyungsoo in a breath after making up his mind. "It was not like he left because he wanted to," Kyungsoo looked down before continuing, "he left because he succumbed to brain cancer.".

 


Jongin felt terrible having asked the question. If he only knew, he wouldn't have. Now he had to deal with a gnawing feeling by seeing Kyungsoo obviously still mourning the loss. After that, they had never touched the topic of the other Jongin again.

 

--

 


They found themselves in a routine, meeting at the cafe twice a week just to hang out and talk about anything. Jongin would start by telling Kyungsoo about his work and the latter would tell him about the progress of his art piece scheduled for exhibition the next month.

 


Sometimes they hang out in comfortable silence. Kyungsoo would read his book while Jongin would sneak a little work on his laptop. It was one of those days that Jongin casually reached for the other'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter