Chapter 1

Yours and My Heart: And One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica~

 

Moving isn't really a big deal for me most of the time but now that I'm going to an actual college, I don't know anymore. Why can't I just stay in California and continue my homeschool studies there? Then again, my mom won't let me living alone cause of the favt that I had coma for 3 years. At least, that's what she told me. My mom doesn't like me being asking personal questions and being curious so I try not to and it's working out pretty well. I don't mind other people's business and they don't mind mine. Why should they? I don't know them, they don't know me. We're all even.

Now, I'm sitting in the front seat of my mom's SUV, staring at the lovely sight of Seoul, Korea. Seoul's pretty much like San Francisco except that it's a little busier. Cars everywhere, people crossing streets here and there...San Francisco's also like this in some ways. I notice trees are slowly changing color. Summer is flying fast and autumn will take over.

I know my mom taught me how to not be curious and asks questions all the time but this isn't personal. Well, at least for me, anyway. Why would we transfer to Korea even though she knows that I don't know the language or culture? Whatever the reason is, it's making me want to never go the college she applied me for. I'm okay with the homeschooling and self study. I sighed heavily and close my eyes. My mom notices and she diverted her eyes to me only for a few seconds since she's driving.

 

"Are you okay, Jessie?" Since I don't speak Korean yet, although sooner or later, I have to know for my sake, she speaks English. I put on a faint smile.

"I'm okay, mom. Just nervous about tomorrow..." I say without looking at her.

"Just relax, Jessie. You don't wanna embarass yourself tomorrow now, would you?"

 

Those words hurt me a little. Maybe because it's the truth. Even though my isolation has good uses, they are also bad ones. She thinks I can't handle being on my own. That I'm too innocent and clumsy. She so thinks that that she even hires 2 bodyguards for me. Now that I'm in college, she fires the bodyguards kindly to whcih they understand and left. Sometimes, I almost think those thoughts are right. I was somehow deep in thought cause my mom snaps her fingers in front of my face, still looking at the road ahead. I turned my gaze to her.

 

"I know that look, Jessie. You shouldn't have a lot of things going through your mind. You wouldn't want your head hurting, right?"

 

I would, mom. I really do. If my head is hurting because of my memories, I would appreciate that. I think those words in my mind. I don't know if those words I said are true. But I don know that I want them to be. I didn't answer her. Instead, I just close my eyes and breathe in and out, trying to relax. Somehow, my paranoia's taking over but I don't let it take over me....yet.

Before I know it, we are in front of our new house. It's kinda large. It's more like of a mansion, if you ask me. I'm sort of confused why my mom would buy a house so huge if we're the only ones who'll be living. I heard my mom say something, though I didn't quite caught it.

 

"What?" I asked innocently and raised my eyebrow.

 

She just chuckled lightly but answered anyway. "I said: We are going to start afresh here."

I just nodded. I don't know what does she meant by that, particularly why but I don't want to further on the topic so I just let it be and went inside. It's even bigger that I thought it would be. Big and clear windows on every corner with white translucent curtains draped upon it. At the center of it all are large stair cases split in half to the designated rooms or hallways. I also notice walls are dirty white.

 

"Do you like it, Jessie?" My mom asked me from behind. I wake up from my trance and turned to her with a light smile.

"Yes, mom."

"As I said earlier, we're going to start afresh here but that doesn't mean you're gonna make friends." She said strictly and serious.

 

I nodded understandingly and start to unpack. I'm half-relieved and half-disappointed. Making new friends, let alone meeting new people is hard for me to achieve. I don't know what to say or do in fron of them. I'm scared that whatever what I'll do will make them turn their backs on me, dislike me or maybe even disgusted by me. But I also don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I want someone to comfort, care and love me other than my mom. But I doubt that's going to happen soon.

I shook off the thoughts from my head. My head's gonna ache sooner or later. I'm sure of it. I didn't realized I was already done with the box I'm unpacking. So I move on the next one. I open up the lid and I am met with one of the most gorgeous things in the world. A silver heart-shaped locket with a small amethyst gem on the middle. I wonder who this belongs to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter