Final

The Tutor’s Secret

Jin Ae let out a sigh as she waited for Myungsoo to show up. She looked out her window to at the snow that was falling silently. She wrapped her arms around her body.

A knock came at the door and Jin Ae got up. She walked towards the door and opened it. As soon as she saw who was behind the door a smile came upon her face.

“Sorry I’m late,” Myungsoo said as Jin Ae let him into her room.

“It’s fine. I know you must be busy with the exams coming soon,” Jin Ae said.

“Yeah, anyways did you finish those math papers I gave you last week,” Myungsoo asked as he took off his jacket.

“Yeah. Hold on,” Jin Ae said as she dashed to her night stand. Myungsoo settled himself down at her desk.

Jin Ae looked through her papers she kept in there. She bit her lip as she saw all those hopelessly, endless amount of love letters. All she had at some point planned to give Myungsoo, her childhood friend.

“Find them yet?” Myungsoo called.

“Yeah,” Jin Ae replied as she pulled out a packet of math problems from the bottom of all the letters. She quickly closed the draw and made her way towards her desk where Myungsoo was seated.

“Here,” Jin Ae said as she handed him the packet. Myungsoo took it and quickly, but with a careful eye, flipped through it.

“It seems like you got them alright. Good job,” he said with a weak smile.

Jin Ae smiled as she clasped her hand together. Myungsoo then started to go over other problems that she would need to know.

 

------------------

 

 “Well it’s almost 11 now. Sorry I didn’t get through much Jin Ae,” Myungsoo said as he stood up and stretched.

“It’s alright, Oppa. You must be tired. I’m sorry for having to ask you to tutor me,” Jin Ae said as she too, stood up.

“It’s okay. Anything to help you with school,” he said as he grabbed his jacket and quickly put it on.

“I’m such a nuisance bothering people,” Jin Ae said as she walked Myungsoo out and to the front door of their apartment.

“You’re not a nuisance,” Myungsoo affirmed.

“I am, Oppa. Asking you to come here when you should be studying for your exams,”

“Nope. I’m happy to be helping you Jin Ae. Now stop calling yourself a nuisance. I’ll do anything just to hang out with my best friend, even if it’s just tutoring her,” Myungsoo said as he slightly ruffled Jin Ae’s hair.

“Okay I’ll stop,” Jin Ae said as she fixed her bangs.

“Leaving Myungsoo?” Jin Ae’s mom called as she walked out of her room.

“Yes. I have to get home,” he replied.

“Thank you for taking the time to tutor her. If she only paid more attention in class then you wouldn’t need to be here,” her mom said.

“It’s not a problem. I’m just glad it’s my best friend,” he said as he opened the door and stepped out, “Well I have to really get going now. Jin Ae, remember to do the pack I gave you.”

“Okay Oppa. Good luck with exams!” Jin Ae said.

“Thank you,” he replied.

They finally said their final goodbyes before Jin Ae closed the door.

“Jin Ae you really need to pay attention in class though. Myungsoo is busy now a days and he should be studying for his exams. Not tutoring you,” Jin Ae’s mom said as she crossed her arms and leaned against the wooden door frame to her room.

Jin Ae let out a sigh before speaking, “I do mom. It’s just that it won’t stay in brain and well this is what happens. I try my best to remember what I learn, but it won’t stay in my brain.”

Jin Ae’s mom shook her head and replied, “Just try harder Jin Ae. Your best friend won’t always be here for you. Reminding me of that, you should get Myungsoo a present for helping you these past few months. It’s the perfect time too. Christmas is right around the corner.”

“I was thinking about it, but I don’t know what to get him,” Jin Ae said.

“I’m sure you’ll think of something, hun. Now get to bed,” Jin Ae’s mom said before she turned around and went back into her room and she closed the door behind her. Jin Ae then headed back to her room.

 

------------------

 

What would Myungsoo oppa want? Jin Ae thought as she walked out of the elevator and down the street to catch the bus.

“What if I got him a video game? No he wouldn’t like that. What about a movie ticket? No that’s just stupid,” Jin Ae mumbled to herself as she walked.

She bumped shoulders with someone, making that person drop what she was holding.

“I’m sorry let my help,” Jin Ae said as she picked down and started to pick up the rolls of yarn that had fell from the box the lady was carrying.

“I’m sorry. I should have watched where I was going,” the lady said as she bent down and started to put them up too.

Jin Ae placed them in the box and admired the pale, neutral and bright colors the yarns were in. They colors varied widely and it looked amazing.

“Pretty isn’t it?” the lady asked.

Jin Ae snapped out of her thoughts and nodded her head.

“Christmas is almost here and yarn is selling quickly,” she said as she picked up the box.

Jin Ae stood up, “Why do you say so?”

“Lot’s of people want to give their loved one’s a special gift. Most women knits scarf’s for their loved ones. Not only does it show that they love them, but is give anyone that receives one the feeling of being loved and cared for,” the lady explained.

That was it; Jin Ae found what she was going to give Myungsoo.

“Mind if I take one? I’ll stop by later today to buy more, but I really need this now,” Jin Ae asked as she felt her pockets in hopes she had money.

“Sure. Take one, it’s on the house so no need to worry about paying anything,” she replied with a warm smile.

“Really? Thank you!” Jin Ae exclaimed as he did multiple 90 degree bows.

“I think you might want to hurry up now, I see the bus coming,” the lady pointed out.

“Thank you again!” Jin Ae called as she ran down the street.

The lady smiled and quickly made her way into her store.

Jin Ae panted as she got to her bus stop; the bus was just about to pull over.

Well I finally know what I’m going to give him now. Jin Ae thought as she boarded the bus. Only for you I’ll learn how to knit.

 

------------------

 

 “This is so complicated!” Jin Ae complained as she shoved her knitting needles and yarn away. She closed her eyes and let out an irritated sigh.

“What’s wrong hun?” her mom asked opening the door.
“Why is knitting so hard?” Jin Ae asked looking at her mom.

Her mom walked in and sat down next to Jin Ae on her bed. She placed a hand over Jin Ae’s.

“I know you can do it Jin Ae. Just believe in yourself and who you’re making this for. You want him to be happy right. Don’t give up just yet,” her mom said.

Jin Ae looked at her mom. Her mom nodded her head in reassurance.

“I guess,” Jin Ae said.

“Well. I got a call from Myungsoo. He can’t come Wednesday, so he’ll be here Friday,” her mom said.

“Okay. Gives me more time anyways,” Jin Ae said.

“That’s the spirit hun. Keep up the good work,” her mom said placing a kiss on her daughter’s forehead before exiting the room.

Jin Ae let out another sigh before retrieving her knitting needles and yarn.

I can do this for him.

 

------------------

 

It was finally Friday. I hope he likes this. Jin Ae thought as she played with the light sky blue scarf she finally finished.

She looked at the clock on her night stand. It’s only 5.

She then heard a knock on her door.

“Come in!” Jin Ae called placing the scarf on her bed.

The door opened to reveal her mom, “Hun. Your father and I are going out. Myungsoo said he’ll be over in a little bit. You’re fine by yourself right?”

“Yeah. How long will it take him?” Jin Ae asked.

“He said around 30 minutes,” her mom replied.

“Okay,” Jin Ae sighed, “Have fun.”

“We’ll be back before 11,” her mom said as she closed the door.

“Now I’m by myself,” Jin Ae said to herself as she looked out the window.

 

------------------

 

Jin Ae was sitting on the couch waiting for the door bell to ring. Right when she gave up, thinking Myungsoo wouldn’t show up, for it was about an hour and a half since the arranged time they set, the door bell rang.

Jin Ae quickly got up and opened the door. Myungsoo standing there with an apologetic look on his face.

“Sorry I’m so late,” he said

“It’s fine. Come in,” Jin Ae said making way for him, “My parents went out so it’s only us.”

Myungsoo nodded his head.

“What if we stay out here? Since my room is kind of messy and plus there’s more table space,” Jin Ae suggested.

“Sure,” Myungsoo replied as he placed his heavy backpack onto the dinning table.

“I’ll be back. I need to get my notebook,” Jin Ae said before running to her room. She walked towards her bed and picked up her notebook and the scarf she made. I can do this.

She walked back outside to find Myungsoo slowly nodding off into sleep. He looked at her and smiled a little. Jin Ae felt like her heart was going to burst, the butterflies in her stomach made her even more nervous.

Jin Ae walked over and placed her notebook on the table; one hand behind her back holding the scarf.

“What are you hiding from me?” Myungsoo asked raising an eyebrow.

Jin Ae took a deep breath and held out the scarf in front of her.

“For you. I made it myself. You looked really cold so I thought this would help. If you don’t like it I don’t care. I also have a secret crush on you, but it would be impossible for you to like me. So here take the scarf as a gift from me, for helping tutoring me,” Jin Ae said in one breath.

Myungsoo titled his head. Jin Ae looked a way and bit her bottom lip. Myungsoo let out a chuckle as he took the scarf from Jin Ae.

“You know I really like this color,” he said.

Jin Ae looked at the ground. Myungsoo laughed at his best friend before he stood up. I feel so stupid.

“Jin Ae. This might sound weird, but I like you too. I mean more than a friend,” Myungsoo confessed.

Jin Ae looked up at him, her eyes wide due to shock. He laughed and pulled her into a hug. Jin Ae slowly wrapped her arms around his waist.

“You like me right? I didn’t hear wrong,” Myungsoo asked as he pushed Jin Ae back a little to stare into her eyes.

“Yes I like you. No you didn’t hear wrong,” Jin Ae replied.

Myungsoo smiled and kissed her lips slightly before pulling back.

“Come on we have math to do,” Myungsoo said as he pulled Jin Ae into the chair seated next to his.

Jin Ae laughed and quickly sat down.