To Strength, Bravery, and Brightness

To Stitches

"Cogratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Choi! Your son is absolutely beautiful."

"Look at him yeobo. He's all ours!" 

"What are you going to name him?" 

"What do you think yeobo?" 

"Minseok honey, do you want to see your little brother?" 

"Yah, he's so squishy! Did I look like that when I was born?" 

"Yes. You two look so similar."

"He's a Choi! He will be athletic just like us!"

"I hope he will be sensitive too, you know." 

"Excuse me...Mr. and Mrs. Choi? May I talk to you for a moment?" 

 

 

It was a cold december evening, that the Choi's new precious son was born. Much like his older brother Minseok, he had beautiful, large eyes that creased at the corners when he yawned or smiled. He was born with all of his hair and had such an innocent, but determined look about him. 

Mrs. Choi was holding her newly cleaned baby, who had now stopped crying. Mr. Choi was next to her, looking lovingly at his new son. Minseok was sitting in the window seat of the hospital room playing Pokemon Emrald on his Game Boy. 

The doctor, a nice looking man with old, experienced eyes and white hair walked into the room. The look on his face was unreadable and the parents of the adorable sleeping baby looked at the doctor with faces that seemed to expect bad news. 

"Doctor Lee, is there something wrong with my Minho?" Mrs. Choi asked. Her husband looked at her in surprise at the name that seemed to come out of no where. 

"Minho?" Mr. Choi asked, loving the way the name sounded coming out of his mouth for the first time. 

"He's strong, brave, and bright. So of course, Minho." Mrs. Choi beamed, looking down at the newly deemed Minho, using her delicate finger to caress the tiny little hand her son possessed. 

Mr. Choi nodded and Minseok began singing a made-up song about how Minho was his new baby brother. 

Doctor Lee cleared his throat. He didn't want to ruin the moment, but the parents had to know what they found. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Choi, your son has a heart defect. A hole in one of the ventricles. It can impact blood flow and activity, so we will need to set up a consistent appointment schedule. In the future, your son may need surgery, so please keep it in mind. For the first few years, I highly recommend that your son does not participate in any stressful activity, so no long distance travel or day care until we can further assess him as he grows. It could be that he is asymptomatic and will perform in sports and activity as others do. Education is the best defense." Doctor Lee said in the simplest terms he could possibly describe the condition with. He felt so sorry he had to ruin such a precious moment. 

Both parents' eyes filled with tears. It would all be okay, but it was a lot to take in, in only the first few hours of holding their new baby boy. 

"Umma, appa, Minho...will be alright, won't he?" Minseok asked, eyes concerned for his brother and parents. 

"He's Choi Minho...he's strong, brave, and bright." Doctor Lee answered, smiling down at Minseok. 

 

A/N: 1st chapter is an introduction and it's short but I hope you like the story! Please comment and subscribe and send love <33 This story means a lot a lot a lot to me because I draw on my own experience. Please enjoy. Thanks for reading!!