Only Thirteen

As You Leave: A Tribute

 

Only Thirteen

 

                    “Only thirteen! Only thirteen!” the hateful and hurtful chants can be heard outside the SM building as mass crowds of fans stood to protest. Lee Soo Man watched from the windows and could only sigh. The hearts of a fan can never be understood. It was difficult to please them all, he decided. Therefore, he could only compromise.

                    The issue at hand was the introduction of two new members, Zhou Mi and Henry Lau. Many suspect that Korean ELFs may have a racial issue, but the protests in China prove otherwise. It was clear that ELFs who have been with Super Junior from the beginning didn’t want change. They were afraid of it, and hated it. Therefore, they protested.

                    In the Super Junior practice rooms, Zhou Mi and Henry stood off to the corner. Super Junior M was a new subgroup and they were working on their debut. The other members were milling around, staring at their papers, trying to memorize as much Chinese as possible. Hangeng, on the other hand, was casually teaching them all he thought they needed to know.

                    Donghae looked up and saw the two standing by themselves. He walked over and threw an arm around the short chipmunk and the tall Chinese man. “Hey, why don’t you guys come join us? We need all the help we know. Besides,” he ventured this chance to tease Henry, “I think Henry-shi also needs to learn more Chinese. Right now, even Siwon can speak better than he can!”

                    Henry forced a smile but Zhou Mi still remained stoic. Ryeowook sighed and came over. “Zhou Mi gege, come on! There’s no point in being so quiet. We’re Super Junior, and we’re loud!” the inclusion of the two in the top boy band finally caused him to crack and for the first time since the fans have gathered, he smiled.

                    The rest of the group gathered and helped the two to incorporate themselves. When the others had retired and Zhou Mir and Henry were washing up, Hangeng spoke, “It’s hard. It’s difficult to be Chinese here. There’s still a bit of racism and its’ hard being a Chinese trainee. Especially when you’re going to debut and the rest of the Korean trainees are still awaiting their own burst to stardom. It causes a lot of jealousy. But the boys are great. Super Junior is fantastic and they really embrace you two. We’ll work hard and make our fans in China proud.”

                    Zhou Mi smiled. “Hangeng-ge, you really help to make our stay so much easier. Your experiences and wisdom really help. I’m so honored to have you be our leader when we go into China.”

                    Henry sat on the bed and snuggled closer to his elder. “Hangeng- gege, I agree. Teach me more Chinese too so I can communicate better with everyone.”

                    Hangeng laughed his signature nose crinkling smile and patted both their hands. “We’ll do well in China, jia you!”

                    And so they debuted. When they did, Super Junior M became a rapid success and it was difficult to find anyone who protested. Zhou Mi showed himself to be a classic diva and Henry was everyone’s talented music chipmunk.

                    Fans in China learned to embrace them and eventually so did ELFs everywhere. However, even now, there have been reported incidents of this bigotry and prejudice. There have been times in Super Shows where when one of them walk out to perform their solos, the audience would create a dark ocean or walk out. This inconsiderate action should be condemned.

                    There are still chants of Only Thirteen, but even Leeteuk has dispelled this action. He said, “Remember what you used to say? Only thirteen? Let’s not say that anymore. We’re Super Junior!”

                    And they are. Each and every single one of them. From Leeteuk to Hangeng to Zhou Mi to Kibum to Henry. All of them are members of Asia’s top boy band and international super stars. There can be no denial.

                    The accounts of hurt, the stories of the two crying over their fans unacceptance breaks ELFs’ hearts. It is only the most stubborn and the most cruel who continue to insist on this.

                    As an ELF who came in because of SJM, I want to say, Henry and Zhou Mi are the best things to happen to Super Junior. You all came to accept Kyuhyun. Now learn to accept them too.