Easy Come, Easy Go

Easy Come, Easy Go

Grey clouds cast a dark shade over Kibum's house as he watches the rain hit the pavement from the inside. Each drop hitting his window is like an added weight over his heart. He was so excited to play with his new friend today. Minho, as Kibum remembers his new next door neighbor’s name, was the one who insisted on playing with him when no one else would. Kibum doesn't have any friends. Well, none who stayed his friend anyways. His life follows a certain pattern: move into a new house, go to a new school, make some friends, then as he starts to get to know them, it's time for him to move again. And he finds himself drifting away from all of the friends he's made each time. It's not like he can help it though, as a seven year old. His parents just have jobs that require them to relocate a lot. They’re also constantly working, so Kibum often keeps to himself. He's already forgotten most of the friends he's had to leave now, and sure enough they don’t think of him at all either.

 

The only friend Kibum has made that ever stayed by his side was Taemin, his imaginary friend. Taemin was someone Kibum trusted the most, since he knew that he could tell Taemin anything and it would always be kept a secret. It was better this way for Kibum; he wouldn't have to worry about leaving Taemin one day and forgetting about him. Taemin wouldn't be just another kid who emptied the void in Kibum's life just as fast as he filled it.

 

"Easy come, easy go". The saying has become Kibum's motto, as funny as it sounds. The people in his life leave just as easy as they come to him. Over time, Kibum found it easier to be alone and not make any friends in order to save them the heartbreak for when he leaves again. This seems like a sad life for a seven year old, but Kibum finds it a waste of time to feel sorry for himself.

 

It wasn't until he met Minho, the bright and energetic boy with big intriguing eyes, when Kibum started to forget about Taemin and focus all of his attention on his new friend. There was something different about Minho. Although the seven year old boy often got on his nerves when he beat Kibum in tag or hide-and-seek or racing (Minho is way too fast and observant for Kibum and he hates it), Minho causes Kibum to forget about what might happen in the future. With Minho, Kibum unconsciously breaks out of his shell and all they focus on is having fun, not the future, not anything else. This, of course, doesn't change the fact that Kibum might have to leave him one day, and he knows that. In fact, he might have to leave much sooner than he thinks.

 

As soon as the rain lets up, Kibum decides it's best to tell Minho that they should stop playing with each other. He finds Minho already waiting in front of Kibum’s house with a basketball and a smug face on. 
 

Kibum hates sports and he's pretty sure Minho knows that.


"Look," Kibum starts and suddenly things have become too quiet. "I'm going to have to leave soon because of my parents' work..." he trails off when he notices Minho’s face change but doesn't show any particular emotion. He cautiously decides to go on, "so I think we should probably stop playing so much." Because I'll have to leave you like I've left everyone else, Kibum thinks to himself. He didn't think he would feel this sad; it's like he's already losing someone a lot more important in his life. 


Minho's face still hasn't changed, and Kibum would kill to know what the other is thinking at this moment, until he finally decides to reply.
 

"Do you have to leave right now?"

 

"Well no, but-"
 

"Do you not want to be friends with me?"
 

"Of course I do."
 

"Then why can't we just play together like we want to? It's not too hard."
 

Kibum pauses for a moment. "But... I'll have to... leave soon."


"Then we should have as much fun as we can with the time we have. This way we'll remember each other as 'the most fun I've ever had'." 
 

Kibum just stares at Minho with unbelieving eyes. No one has ever been so persistent on being friends with him. He couldn't understand why he had friends in the first place. He doesn't have any outstanding talents, he's not very good with people and he spends most of his time playing with Taemin who can only be seen in his imagination. Well this was until Kibum met Minho. Minho is definitely unlike anyone else he's ever met.
 

Despite his speechlessness, Kibum settles for a soft "O-okay" and gives his brain some time to function before going back to his fun adventures with Minho. This kid, Kibum thinks to himself, is different from all the others; he wants to stay with me. As he chases Minho with the basketball, Kibum can't escape the warm feeling that builds up inside his chest.


They carry on like this for about another week or so, though it's gotten hard for Kibum to keep track of time around Minho. Their days are filled with warmth and sunshine and new exciting games and adventures to obtain hidden treasure. Today they're at the nearby playground trying out all of the slides and swings. The sound of their laughter seems to carry on for hours, until Kibum stops at the monkey bars.


After noticing that no one is laughing with him anymore, Minho looks to Kibum with confusion. Kibum shakes his head and backs away from the monkey bars before him, muttering something behind Minho and he has to ask for clarification, “What is it?" 


"I can't do it!" Kibum practically screams at Minho, not caring if the whole neighborhood can hear him. 
 

Minho just calmly looks back and forth between Kibum and the monkey bars in front of them. "Are you scared of heights?" 


Kibum quickly denies it but keeps his head down as Minho jumps down and stands under the monkey bars holding his arms up. Now it's Kibum’s turn to look confused.
 

"What are you doing?"
 

"I'll catch you if you fall so you don't have to worry."
 

"But I'll break you." 
 

"You're pretty small and I'm bigger than you so it won't matter."

 

This makes Kibum a little too happy for some reason and he decides to trust Minho and grasp the monkey bars above. He makes sure not to fall because he knows Minho will try to catch him and he doesn’t want to hurt him. Kibum chooses not to think about why he’s starting to care about the boy so much because there really is no definite answer. Instead, he focuses all of his attention on holding onto the monkey bars as tight as he can and making sure not to slip as he moves from one bar to the other. Dark brown hair is blowing gently in the wind as Kibum keeps his head up. He can hear words of encouragement from below which he chooses not to acknowledge them. Any distraction would cause Kibum to lose his-

 

Kibum slips just a few bars away from the end. He never thought Minho would actually catch him, but here he is, on the ground with Minho sitting under him, holding him as Kibum hides his head on Minho’s shoulder in embarrassment.

 

“You did well, I’m proud of you,” Minho whispers to Kibum as he pats his back soothingly. Kibum’s face turns bright red. Minho is warm and his hands feel bigger than they seem.

 

He doesn’t say anything and continues keeping his head buried, thinking about how stupid he was to lose concentration and how stupid Minho was to distract him and how hard he must’ve fallen on Minho and he should probably get off of Minho now.

 

“Did I hurt you?” Kibum asks as he (reluctantly) climbs out of Minho’s lap.  Kibum notices just how small he is that he fits almost perfectly in Minho’s lap. Minho shakes his head innocently and Kibum puts his head back down to save himself from the now awkward atmosphere.

 

It wasn’t until the two boys were walking home a few minutes later when someone finally says something to break the silence.

 

“We should get married,” Minho suddenly says to Kibum in a nonchalant matter. This makes Kibum stop and stare at the other with wide eyes.

 

“Are you joking?” Kibum reluctantly asks.

 

Minho shakes his head and starts walking again, “I should marry you, so that you won’t have to leave me. And I can stay by your side when you go on the monkey bars again.”

 

Kibum tries really hard not to blush and keeps his head down as he answers with an “A-alright.” And the conversation doesn’t proceed any further because they suddenly reach their houses, side by side, waiting for them to call it a night.

 

The day has turned to dusk and they boys wave at each other before going inside to their separate locations. Kibum dreams about the events that occurred later that night with a subtle smile on his face.

 

Kibum moves the next day.

 

It’s unexpected to him just like any other time he moved. It all happens in the blink of an eye. His parents never give him a warning, but he finds himself in their car with his suitcase beside him and looking out the window to catch a glimpse of where he’ll be going next. For some reason, he didn’t have time to find Minho outside and tell him he was leaving.

 

Questions start to flood Kibum’s mind as he worries about Minho. Will he be mad when he finds no one to play with him? Will he remember me? Will he forget me like all of the others? Kibum keeps Minho’s promise in mind as he watches his house steadily come out of view from the car window. Once again, he leaves just as easily as he came.

 

Easy come, easy go. But not so easy to forget.