1/1

Behind This Sea of Tears

He still can't believe it-- that he and the rest of the members won Artist of the Year. Of course, it was what they had been working so hard for in their five years of officially being together, even in the years before when they were trainees, and it had always been a dream of theirs. But for it to really happen? It's overwhelming, Taemin thinks, and he doesn't believe that he deserves such an honor.

 

So, this is why Taemin excuses himself from the celebration between Exo and the hyungs that is occurring in the living room of the SHINee dorm, feeling suffocated and barely able to hold himself together. He had already lost it earlier on stage, crying like he hadn't since debut, and he didn't want to do that again. He had looked like a fool enough already.

 

Shuttering a sigh, he pushes through the Exo members, forcing a smile as he passes Chanyeol and Kris chatting contently, reminiscing over the events of that night. He's finally out of the crowded room and into the hallway, and pushes his door open before slamming it shut again.

 

The dancer huffs a sigh, tears pricking at his eyes and a thick mass clogging his throat as he attempts to hold it all in. Against his will, they fall anyways, and suddenly he's sobbing into his hands as he fumbles to sit on his bed.

 

Over the noise and the blood rushing in his ears as he chokes back his wails, he doesn't hear the door creak open, but he's not startled when a weight sits itself next to him and arms wrap around him, strong, warm, and familiar.

 

Taemin is instantly drawn into the embrace, burying his face into the crook of his best friend's neck, and just letting it all out. It's the only place he feels safe enough to, because he's the only one that knows; the only one that knows how much Taemin feels for his work, his fans, his dreams.

 

“You're strong, Taemin-ah. Crying makes you strong.” comes that deep voice, but Taemin doesn't respond with anything other than clinging to the figure even harder, and slowly but surely coming down from his hysterics. He's still hiccuping, and tears are still soaking the rapper's t-shirt, but he's content now, and wishes to stay in this position for a bit longer.

 

As he calms, he feels something wet hit the top of his head, and when he lifts it, still sniffling, he sees a quivering, red and wet eyed, Jongin. Chuckling, he brings a fist to wipe at his eyes, drying the moisture that is still accumulating there. “Yah, what are you crying for?” he asks, voice cracked and nasally from the crying, and intertwines his fingers with the taller boy's. It's a stupid question, and he knows too, but he can't help but ask.

 

Jongin stares at the other, as if the answer is obvious (it is), and finally lets his own tears fall freely now. “The same reason you are. Because we're here now, and you're doing amazing things, winning amazing things, and I get to be by your side as you do. Because we made that promise all those years ago, as trainees, to reach our dreams. And you have, and you deserve it.” he responds, as equally gross sounding, but Taemin doesn't mind that.

 

Jongin is spot on, of course. He leans back, pulling Jongin with him, and falls into the pillows. “Yeah, we both have. Jongin?”

 

The addressed boy turns, eyes filled with more unshed tears, and already wet cheeks. “Yeah?”

 

“I'm glad we met, all those years ago. I'm glad we made those promises and those fantasies to reach where we are now. It was hard, still is, but it's okay, with you here. I'll be here for you, too, always.”

 

They've never exactly put their friendship into words, because there was no reason to, but Taemin feels that it's appropriate to now. As Jongin buries his own face in the smaller boy's neck, muffling his own sobs, Taemin continues.

 

“Do you remember how we met? In the practice room. That was our spot, to learn, grow, and bond. Then I debuted, and I was afraid you would be angry.. That you would leave me and find new friends because I was going ahead of you, and we were supposed to stick together. But you only supported me, and I can't even explain how much that meant to me, and still does.”

 

His eyes are stinging again, but the tears don't fall. He just smiles as Jongin pulls him closer, intertwining their legs together and pulling his face into his toned chest once more.

 

The deep voice speaks again, choked with tears. “God, why wouldn't I support you? How could you ever have thought that I would be angry with you? I was only frustrated with myself, because I wasn't good enough to be with you. I'm still not, but you let me stay by your side, and that means so much to me.

 

Taemin is a bit surprised by the last comment, because he never would expect Jongin to feel honored to still be his friend. He sees now, more than ever, how much they mean to each other, and he never wants to lose this.

 

Suddenly, words are welling up in his throat and are spilling out his mouth before he can stop them. “I hope you know how much I love you.”

 

Jongin laughs warmly, and Taemin can feel it vibrate comfortingly as he rests his head on the place right above his friend's heart. Then he feels a hand run through his knotted hair, gently ruffling and then brushing through the locks.

 

“I know. I love you, too. As cliché as this sounds, you're the best friend I could ever have.”

 

Of course, Jongin just knows, and that's why he's the best friend Taemin could ever have, too.


A/N: My first Taekai fic.. I hope I did alright~

I just couldn't help it after seeing all that interaction at the MMAs.