Making It Better

Making It Better (Birthday Oneshot)

“Well, this is it.” I said as I pushed open the cream doors. People stared at me as I walked in and I tried not to blush or trip. Looking up, there he was. Lee Taemin, the man of my dreams.

He smiled at me, looking absolutely stunning in his black suit.

Then, his gaze snapped to the woman behind me and I came hurtling back to reality, and my world collapsed.

Yes, I was the bridesmaid.

My smile stiffened and my hands choked the bouquet I held when I realised that the man I loved was to be married to someone else today, to the girl that I’ve disliked since childhood. She only asked me to be the bridesmaid because according to her words, “Taemin wanted it.”

I was completely numb throughout the whole ceremony. I wanted to scream and wail when no one objected to their matrimony. But how could I? It was selfish and rude even to have the thought.…

But still.

Taemin didn’t even have a clue as to why I was quiet during the wedding – he never did. I danced with him, probably for the last time ever, and I even kissed him on the cheek, but I knew his heart wasn’t with me, it never was.

The day passed in a blur, and the night was filled with tons of used tissues, empty chocolate wrappers, and tubs of ice cream accompanied by my best friend and a few soppy movies.

Morning came, and my swollen eyes cracked open. A small smile spread across my lips. I had an epiphany. I knew exactly what I had to do in order to move on and move away from Taemin.

I had received a promotion not too long ago, and I was to transfer to Tokyo, in just under an hour. I scarfed down my breakfast, ignoring the itch it gave my throat and took the large pieces of white presentation cardboard under my arm and left for his place.

DING DONG

My heart hammered in my chest and I stared at the door. Maybe he wasn;t home. Just as I was about to turn away in a moment of terrifying weakness, he opened the cream door and smiled.

“Hey M-“ I shook my head and placed a finger on my lips, indicating for him to hush. His eyebrows furrowed in cute confusion and I smiled for an instant before I winced at the sight of the gold band on his ring finger.

My presentation posters were ready, and so was I. they were all in order, and I flipped the first card over.

I got a promotion Taemin

And I need to transfer…

His eyes grew wide and the smile I fell in love with graced his face, but I quickly revealed the second one to prevent him from congratulating me. I shouldn’t dwell on him anymore.

To Tokyo.

Shock and sadness at his best friend leaving showed on his face.

So before I go,

I need to tell you something.

My heart palpitated when his innocent eyes locked with mine.

Remember when we were fourteen we dated

And I’d call you my sunshine

And you’d call me your sunflower?

Taemin nodded in confirmation but puzzlement at the sudden trip down memory lane. Yes, this was the aim I thought jubilantly. 

Sunshine, I was in love with you…

 

My eyes fluttered close. Small rain droplets fell and spattered across my face. This was it, and I pushed the next slide into my hands.

And I still am now.

His eyes widened once again, this time in surprise, realization…and grief.

But I have to let you go with her,

So one last thing…

A cheeky smirk displayed on my face.

I’ll love you when it rains,

I’ll love you when it hails,

I’ll love you when it snows,

I’ll love you when you’re saggy and gross..

Because my sunshine always comes back.

The emotional Taemin I grew up with reappeared now, his watery eyes bore into mine and my tears fell along with the rain.

You made my ouchie’s better when we were seven

I was going to lose it soon, so I quickly pushed the next one into my hands.

And only time can heal

The ouchie on my heart now.

My own childish words amused me.

So for now Lee Taemin,

Goodbye.

His hand twitched, as if he wanted to stop me when I walked backwards, step by step.

But not forever.

사랑해이태민

 

At the bottom of the last slide was the love heart card he gave me on our first valentine’s as a couple.

 

Both of us stood there in silence, before my phone buzzed, telling me it was time to go. I smiled, gave him a flying kiss through my tears and sprinted down the street and away from the man that had captured not only my heart, but also my soul.

 

Suddenly, a hand caught my shoulder and I found myself whirled around and my lips pressed up against Taemin’s familiar lips, and a small piece of me clicked. I had waited for this moment.

 

I was the one who pulled away, running my thumb over his cheek and wiping his tears away. Happiness filled me because it was a loving kiss, yet the last one we would share.

 

I backed away, still facing him before disappearing round the corner.

 

Then, when I couldn’t see him anymore, I touched my lips then my heart. A phrase he said to me when we were younger echoed in my head.

 

Only you can make it better Minhee,

Thankyou.

 

But no, this time Taemin, you made it better.

 

Thank you.

 

-

Hey!

I originally wanted to post this on Taemin’s birthday, but I found myself swamped with work and the computer was always out of my reach. Does anyone know where I got this idea?

Taemin-ah.

The man I knew has now…

Become even further away from me…

But I’ll forever be a Taemint, happy birthday my sweet y man.