Only You

Only You

Leo sat in the coffee shop that was connected to the bookstore as he waited for this mystery girl that his friend had set him up with. His mind however, was only on you. As he waited, he could only remember the times he spent with you in here. In fact, the two of you had met in this very coffee shop. It seemed that everything reminded him of you. All the girls looked like variations of you. It wasn’t a girl with black hair or a girl with long hair. He saw girls with hair that was shorter than yours or girls with hair color different than yours. Leo saw girls that smiled like you or were taller than you. But what Leo hadn’t seen lately was the real you.

A girl came up to Leo with a bright smile and a walk that oozed confidence and she sat down across from him. Leo knew she was the one he was meeting as she matched the description that Hyuk had given him. She had on a floral dress that reached her knees and her hair was long, curly, and light brown. Leo thought she was cute and that she sort of looked like you. But she wasn’t you.

“You must be Leo. Hyuk told me a lot about you,” the girl started. “I’m Hana.”

Leo tried to smile at the girl but he found himself keeping a straight face.

“Hyuk has told me a lot about you as well,” Leo said.

He couldn’t remember anything that was said but it was the truth. Hyuk had told Leo many things about Hana but all he did was compare her to you and soon enough, Hana wasn’t even anywhere near his mind. It was only you.

“What did he say?”

“Stuff.”

Hana didn’t let Leo’s one word answer phase her. She went on telling Leo about herself. Leo on the other hand was looking over at the door to the coffee shop. He thought about his meeting with you on that winter day. You came in wearing a wolf hat and were bundled up in a winter coat. It was something out of a movie as the two of you had both ordered hot chocolate and reached for the same one. And your story with Leo started then.

“So what do you love?” Hana asked.

The question snapped Leo out of his thoughts causing him to look at Hana with wide eyes.

“What do I love?” he repeated.

How was he supposed to answer that question? He loved many things, sure. But they all involved you. He loved you. After all this time, his heart still wanted you. This left Leo feeling guilty. He sighed as he looked at Hana. She realized something was wrong and sat back in her seat.

“Is there something wrong?”

There was so much wrong. He wanted you; but he couldn’t have you. There was also someone in front of him that could make him happy if he gave her a chance. Leo was too wrapped up in you though that he couldn’t give Hana a proper chance.

“You seem great,” Leo told Hana, “but there is this girl…”

“And you still want to be with her?”

Leo nodded and Hanna’s smile disappeared as she got up from the table. Sending her off like this made Leo feel bad. Leo got up to walk her out but as she walked to the door, a familiar face walked in.

Was it really you? It seemed like a dream when you walked in through the door. You didn’t notice Leo as your eyes were glued to your phone. Once you put in your order, you turn to look around at the place that gave you so many memories. Your eyes met with his and you froze. Neither of you did anything but look at the other. You finally turn away as they call your drink order. Once you have the drink in your hand, you turn back around to find Leo still standing there. You knew going over there would be a bad idea. Not only for Leo’s sake but for yours as well. You go to leave but Leo’s voice stops you.

“Have you been well?”

You don’t turn to face Leo as you give a simple nod. As much as your mind was telling you to get out, your feet stayed planted. Leo spoke again.

“Are you still with him?”

The “him” was the guy you left him for. The guy you cheated on him with. Did you mean to? No, you didn’t. Well, you didn’t mean for him to find out and be crushed. You weren’t with that guy. In fact, you never got to really be with him as he left you for someone else.

“I’m not,” you answer.

Finally, you turn around to face Leo. He is still standing with a look on his face reminding you of a sad puppy. You thought that hearing you were single might make Leo happy; that it might give him hope. But he was sad. Leo wanted to be happy but he had so many conflicting thoughts in his head. He gestured to the chair that Hana had been sitting in and you head over. The two of you sit down and take a sip of your drinks. Your hot chocolate was still scorching and burned your tongue; causing you let out a curse.

“You could never wait for it to cool,” Leo spoke.

He smiled as he remembered the countless times you burned your tongue not even waiting for things to cool down. And before you could stop yourself, you laugh as you too remember the times.

“I missed you.”

Leo’s words struck you in the heart. You had missed him too. There wasn’t a day that went by you didn’t think about him. But you figured he deserved someone better. Someone who would always be faithful to him.

“I missed you too.”

The way he sat up straight and smiled at you made your heart hurt. He should hate your guts but he doesn’t. Deciding it was better to leave, you got up from the table. Leo grabbed your hand and stopped you from going anywhere. You refuse to look back at him no matter what.

“Let go,” you plead.

Leo doesn’t listen and holds your hand tighter.

“I let you go once I won’t let you go again.”

Letting out a sigh, you turn to sit back in the chair. Leo keeps hold of your hand and as much as you loved it, you couldn’t.

“Leo, I was a bad girlfriend to you. I don’t deserve someone like you. You deserve to be with someone who is devoted to you one-hundred percent.”

You finally get your hand back from Leo and moved both to your lap.

“It’s funny,” Leo begins,” I know that I should hate you and I want to. But I can’t. I missed you so much and you never left my mind.”

This was the last thing you wanted to know. You didn’t need more reasons to ask Leo to take you back. It was clear he wanted you as much as you wanted him.

“And I shouldn’t have talked to you today but I guess we both can’t ignore our feelings.”

Leo reached his hand across the table and looked at you, waiting for you to take it. You were hesitant, but you take his hand and smile at him. He smiles back at you and says the words he’d wanted to say.

“I love you.”