Happy Birthday, Blondie

Diva Boy's Birthday

Ren’s P.O.V

The school bell finally rang. Chairs were pushed back and every one of my classmates immediately stood up, picking their bag up and chatting with each other. I flinched because of the noise, but as soon as Jina turned to me with a bright smile on her face, my irritation vanished and was replaced with a fulfilling feeling in my heart. My heart beat kind of sped up whenever she would give me a smile. It was nice to see her smile like that.

“So, after homework, shall we order some pizza?” My girlfriend for two months now asked as I simply nodded, smiling and standing up as soon as everyone in the classroom has dispersed. Ms. Park has given us an assignment that was due Monday. Psh, as if I will do it. I have practice later.

Jina stood up also, tightening her messy ponytail and shouldering her backpack, while wagging a teasing finger at me. I chuckled and leaned back as she leaned forward, poking my nose softly.

“Don’t you dare slack off the homework, Diva Boy. Or I’m hiding your pink boots.”

My eyes widened in alarm, my mouth agape. I loved my pink boots.

“You wouldn’t!”

“Do your homework then, blondie.” Jina giggled as I rolled my eyes in unison. She was too silly sometimes. I glanced at her outfit from top to bottom. I was glad she got a change of uniform when I suggested it. Her uniform before was too tight, therefore accentuating her curves. I wasn’t stupid. I knew I would be staring at her hips more than her face when she wore that tight outfit everyday I see her in school. And when I did a quick survey on how many boys she caught with her short skirt and fitted blazer, I realized there were a lot.

So, after some convincing and a talk with her parents (mainly to her dad when I showed him my survey), they finally agreed and got a larger size.

“I don’t know why and how you convinced my parents to change the size of my uniform. I look smaller in it.” Jina pouted cutely as I smiled, chuckling softly. I took her hand, not answering her statement. I interlaced our fingers together and lead us both out of the classroom. The hallway was bustling with students who were going to their night tutoring. I and Jina didn’t have any night classes, and we were grateful for that. Because of my late night practices, this is the first time in the week that I got to go to school. And it’s Friday.

I felt something soft lean on my shoulder when I glanced down at Jina. She was leaning her head on my shoulder as I shifted a bit so that she could lean better. I squeezed her hand a little, making her giggle.

Did I tell you how much I loved her giggles?

“Hey oppa, I can’t wait till our birthday. It’s next week, right?” Jina asked sweetly, glancing at me with a blink of her eyes. I was about to form a smile when she said ‘next week’

My birthday was today. November 3. How could she not know? She has been babbling about it ever since October. I do remember she forgets things easily, but something she talked about for hours with me? Highly impossible. But I couldn’t pull that smile away from her face. This is the only time I get to spend time with her. Pledis took pity in me, and arranged my school schedule to match Jina’s. I couldn’t bear to make her sad now.

I managed to smile and nod. “Yes, it is. Did you change the setting again, dear?” I asked as she blushed, looking down. I laughed as her cheeks turned red. I knew what pet names to call her to make her blush.

“Of course not. I was just reminding myself and you,” she mumbled as I nodded, swinging our hands together. We walked together outside of school, turning the corner. With an unspoken agreement, we arrived at Jina’s house. It was still the same small but homey looking place that I always went to after school to spend time with her. I didn’t want to bring her to a dorm full of boys.

The things they might do to her.

So, as the caring and protective boyfriend, I decided to just bring her when NU’EST makes a comeback.

Jina pouted as she searched for her keys. I smiled and leaned on the door, standing close to her, watching as she searched through her bag. Cute. I poked her cheek when she looked at me, her pout and large, helpful eyes caused me to chuckle at her. She narrowed her eyes and pulled away when I grabbed her wrist, pulling her closer to me.

“They keys is in the third pocket in front of your bag, honey.”

She blushed once again and yanked her wrist away, making me laugh. As much as how cute she is, she is as stubborn as a mule. She finally found the keys and inserted it in the keyhole, turning it and opening the door. I smiled and let her enter first before following right after. I closed the door, but not before removing my shoes. I looked around her living room before I made a beeline for the couch, jumping on it and laying on my back, my bag strewn carelessly on the floor.

“Ah, once we get a house together, I’m totally getting this kind of couch,” I stated confidently as I heard Jina laugh, coming back from the kitchen with a glass of water. She offered it to me as I accepted it gratefully, sitting up and sipping from it. She sat beside me as I put the glass on the coffee table.

“Once ‘we’ get a house?” She asked teasingly as I nodded, smirking while I wrapped an arm around her shoulders, leaning back on the couch with her. She snuggled closer to me, folding her legs on top of the couch as I kissed the top of her head, her hair.

“Yep. We. As in when you are called Mrs. Choi, my future wife.” I heard her giggle at my statement as the same happy feeling spread across my heart then through my whole body, making me feel warm and happy.

“Well then, Mr. Choi, shall I practice by calling you hubby?” She asked as I made a ‘not bad’ expression, nodding my head. “I think it suits me, eh wifey?” I teased back as she laughed, leaning up to peck my cheek. I didn’t settle for just a peck. We’ve barely seen each other for four days.

I held her chin softly, leaning closer to her as I stared down at her. Her breathe quickened as I smirked, closing my eyes and nudging my nose on hers. She mumbled something, but I stopped her by kissing her lips. Her lips were the same taste. It tasted like vanilla. Vanilla and strawberry. Probably because of her lip balm. Whatever. I loved her soft lips.

I s an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me as I felt her soft hands tangling in my hair, removing my ponytail that held my blonde hair in place. She ran her hand through it as I dominated the kiss, making sure to imprint how her sweet lips moved against mine in my mind.

We kissed for a few more seconds when she pulled away slowly. I leaned in for another round when she stopped me by putting a hand on my chest. I sighed and leaned back, smiling as I saw her flushed pink cheeks.

“You totally wanted to continue,” I accused her teasingly as she rolled her eyes, slapping my arm. She sat up straight as I continued to lean. I laughed and tried to pull her back.

“Come on, I haven’t seen you in four days, dear,” I cooed, hugging her close to me. I could feel her smile as she set her chin on my shoulder. I held her tight, never wanting to let go. But, good things don’t last.

Her cellphone rang, making her jerk away. I cursed silently as she shot me a look. I smiled innocently at her as she rolled her eyes, answering her phone.

“Hi Kibum! Oh, right now? Can’t it wait? Oh, right, it’s due on Monday. How about Saturday? Why? Oh yeah, you have a whole day tutoring. Alright, alright, I’ll go. Bye.”

I looked at her worriedly. I disliked it when Jina says she has to go, or she has to leave. It meant me alone, Jina-less.

She looked at me apologetically, biting her lip as I nodded, sighing.

“I’m really sorry, baby, but I have to go. It’s a group project and-“

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll see you when I can. Bye.” I gathered my things and stood up from the couch, not glancing at her. I walked to the front door, holding the doorknob when I heard Jina say, “I love you, Ren.”

I stopped moving, but then I shrugged it off. If she loved me, she would not leave.

I said nothing and opened the door, shutting it close and slipping my feet in my shoes. I walked on the sidewalk, shoving my hands in my pockets.

Stupid Kibum and Jina’s teacher. Why couldn’t I have what I want on my birthday? It was a simple birthday wish. To spend the night watching movies, eating pizza and talking late at night with no other but my girl, Bang Jina.

But what did I get? She leaving for her group project. Stupid group project. I hate them.

My feet thudded on the sidewalk. I didn’t really care where I was going, but then I reached Pledis Entertainment. I sighed and looked up at the yellow and grey planet logo. I remembered staring at it before I auditioned for Pledis. I stared at it with happiness. Now? With resentment. I knew I’ll receive scolding for not attending morning practice. I chose to walk with Jina to school instead of doing vocal and dance warm ups.

“Yeah, I’m having a great birthday,” I grumbled, furrowing my eyebrows and clenching my hands into fists in my pockets. I practically stomped in Pledis, scaring trainees here and there. I was stopped my Mingyu and Hansol who was walking past by me.

“Hey hyung!” Mingyu called out, smiling widely as I nodded, passing them with a fake smile when Hansol stopped me.

“Hey hyung, just wanted to say happy-“ My ears perked up, my eyes widening. Maybe Hansol remembered? “-weekend! Hope you have a good one! Bye hyung!” And with that, the two youngsters chased each other down the hall. I sighed and shook my head. No one has remembered my birthday. I reached the main practice room, where SEVENTEEN shot their broadcasts, where Hello Venus and After School practiced, and where NU’EST had fun. I turned the knob, opening the green door that was labelled as PRACTICE I. The lights were off, as usual. I sighed and dropped my bag on the floor. Time to make up for the lost time.

I flipped open the lights and nearly had a heart attack.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

I blinked as I studied the practice room. Streamers and colourful balloons were everywhere, a big banner that said “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REN!” was hung on the mirror. After School, Hello Venus, SEVENTEEN and my members were all there, wearing party hats. Even their managers were there. Just below the banner was a table with pink cloth on it and a cake. I literally started tearing up when I looked everywhere.

Did I mention that the dominant color was pink?

“We thought it would be great if we pretended we didn’t remember your birthday, maknae,” JR said gruffly, smiling as nearly everyone laughed.

“Happy Birthday, dongsaeng!” Nana noona greeted as I blushed, bowing. I liked her very much and respected her.

“Sunbae, I hope you have a great birthday!” Lime from Hello Venus greeted as I nodded, bowing in thanks.

“And here’s your party hat, saengie,” Son Dam Bi noona cooed, giving me a pink party as I laughed, wearing it.

I was overwhelmed at everything. I scanned the room, my heart sinking slightly. The person I wanted to see the most wasn’t here.

“Oh, did you really think I forgot about your birthday, future hubby?” I heard a voice ask as I turned around, seeing Jina there with a pink gift in her hands. I laughed and hugged her tightly, my members hooting and cheering for me. She hugged back and I was grateful for that.

“I thought you went for stupid Kibum.”

“He’s not stupid, baby. And I wouldn’t miss your birthday for anything,” I heard her whisper in my ear. She pulled away and gave me a box. I smiled at her and opened the box, seeing a necklace. It was silver and had the letter J on it.

“So whenever we’re not together physically, you will always remember I’m always in your heart,” Jina explained, smiling and taking out her own silver necklace with an R on it.

I let my tears fall freely as I hugged her again, chuckling. “I love you, future Mrs. Choi.”

“I love you too, baby. More than the grains of sand on earth, more than the leaves on the trees, more than anything.”

“Okay, enough of the lovey-dovey smooching moment. Let’s party!” Baekho shouted as everyone , laughing. I joined in, holding my girlfriend’s hand tightly, wearing the necklace proudly.

“You just can’t get a girlfriend,” Minhyun teased as Baekho blushed. “I can! I’m already working on getting Yoo Ara!”

“Ayie!” Everyone teased as Yoo Ara of Hello Venus blushed and hid behind Lime. This was turning into the best birthday yet.

You know what? I just might not maim that Kibum after all.