1/1

The Domino Effect

THE DOMINO EFFECT

To be honest, no one really knows what started the intense school rivalry between SM High and BL Academy. One moment the principals were best friends, and the next they're at each others' throats competing for every award possible, from basketball to swim to knitting.

(Kyungsoo's not entirely sure if winning a knitting award is something to be proud of. What does that prove? We have the best sweaters? Well, they are pretty warm.)

All that the student body knows is that their one and only goal is to beat the other school. Whether it's in academics or extracurricular activities, it doesn't matter so long as the other is slayed.

No, really, that's the ending of BL Academy's motto: "Gotta slay them all." (Jongwoon is always spouting theories of how the school stole that from Pokémon's theme song, but no one really listens to him anyway.)

And that's why Kyungsoo gets pushed into choir after he was caught singing in the shower one afternoon, when he thought everyone had already gone home. Of course, that sneaky punk Jongdae had to be around with his sneaky little recorder, trying to ruin Kyungsoo's perfectly content life as a mathlete geek.

"Do I have to?" Kyungsoo asks for the umpteenth time as Baekhyun drags him to the choir room.

"Yes," Baekhyun replies, exasperated. "Unless you want to deal with Principle Lee's pout again. And you know how he gets."

"I swear our principal is actually five," Kyungsoo mutters under his breath. "But I'm already on the mathlete team. Why do I have to be in choir too?"

"Because, to quote Principal Lee and Jongdae, you have the voice of an angel." Baekhyun pauses before adding, "A y angel, apparently."

Kyungsoo frowns and reminds himself to add 'creepy' to the list of adjectives to properly describe Jongdae.

"Choir is fun," Baekhyun says in a final attempt to reassure Kyungsoo. "I think you're going to like it."

Kyungsoo just sighs. He should probably trust Baekhyun, but then again, Baekhyun also said the same thing the last time he convinced Kyungsoo to bowling with him. It'll be fun, Baekhyun said. It's okay to wear flip flops bowling, Baekhyun said. You won't slip, Baekhyun said.

Lies! Kyungsoo's still hurts thinking of that day.

But this is just singing, Kyungsoo reminds himself as he steps into the classroom. What could possibly go wrong?



-




", , , , ," Kyungsoo mutters under his breath as his eyes scan the auditorium. It's the first performance of the year, and Kyungsoo's first ever. It's 'not a big deal,' to quote Baekhyun who tried convincing him that earlier this week – it's supposed to be for 'fun' and to assess where all the other choir groups from other schools stand. But that doesn't stop Kyungsoo from continuing to cuss under his breath.

Kyungsoo was totally fine with choir up until now. Baekhyun wasn't lying when he said Kyungsoo would like it – everyone was nice, and the teacher was eager to help Kyungsoo "unlock his true potential", even if Kyungsoo insisted nothing was locked up to begin with.

Somehow the whole idea of performing in public completely slipped Kyungsoo's mind during all of those practices. It wasn't until two weeks before the performance did Kyungsoo remember, Oh, I have to perform. Excuse me as I burn my throat with hot tea. (Luckily – or unluckily, if you ask Kyungsoo – Baekhyun stopped him before he had the chance.)

So now Kyungsoo's standing in a mass of people, repeating colloquial terms for the word 'excrement' that would make his mother cry.

Baekhyun left him a couple of minutes ago to find where Jongdae went to sign in. Kyungsoo, not knowing where to go, decides to slowly migrate towards the wall so he can bang his head against it.

Kyungsoo doesn't even realize he's still cussing when he bumps shoulders with someone as he walks by, causing the other to look down at Kyungsoo in surprise.

"Nervous?" the stranger asks. Kyungsoo's head turns at an alarming speed fast enough to knock out someone to face the stranger. He feels the wind being knocked out of him as his eyes land on a tall teenager, dark hair falling over his amused eyes. To say he's attractive is an understatement.

"Yeah," Kyungsoo admits sheepishly, embarrassed to be caught off guard by someone so, for lack of better words right now from Kyungsoo's blank mind, hot.

"Don't worry. Everyone's nervous," the boy assures him.

"Are you singing too?" Kyungsoo asks, eyes wide. He hasn't met any of the other school's singers; in fact, he's almost afraid to. He doesn't know who are the enemies just yet.

"No, I'm here for a friend," the boy replies with a shrug. Kyungsoo blinks in confusion. "But he always gets nervous, so I understand."

"Oh," Kyungsoo says, feeling a little more reassured after hearing that (not really, but he just wants to seem more confident around Mr. Hottie). Which team is he in?"

"SM Singers."

Well, damn, Kyungsoo thinks as all the hope in him deflates like Chanyeol after his sugar (they think it's sugar) highs. Of course all the cute boys are in enemy territory. Busy mourning his loss, Kyungsoo doesn't even realize he's just staring at the other until the boy clears his throat.

"Yeah, I know it's not the best name, but our principal has a thing for alliteration," the boy says slowly, chuckling to fill in the awkward silence. "What about you? Which school are you with?"

"Uh–"

"Kyungsoo!" Said boy lets out a sigh of relief as he hears Baekhyun calling him from the front.

"Coming!" he calls back, turning back to the boy apologetically. "Sorry, I gotta go," he says hurriedly before rushing away before the other even has a chance to reply. After all, Kyungsoo knows he'll never have a chance with Mr. Hottie, so he may as well get it over with. It's like ripping a band-aid off – you have to do it quickly, or else it's painful.

Kyungsoo rushes backstage with the other choir members and starts warming up.

Two hours later and one heart-pounding, palms-sweating performance later, Kyungsoo exits the stage after taking a final bow with all the other groups. On his way down, he bumps into someone and feels a paper being slipped into his pocket. He barely turns around in time to catch the sight of a back of a guy's head.

And if the nauseous feeling in Kyungsoo's gut is correct, he knows just who that was.

Still, he waits until he's gotten back home to run up to his room, close the door, and take out the piece of paper from his pocket. He takes in a deep breath as he slowly uncrumbles the paper to reveal a name and a number.

Kim Jongin




-




Kyungsoo's not sure what just happened. One moment he was sitting around his room, pretending to do homework like he's supposed to on Sunday afternoons, and the next he's staring at Kim Jongin's Facebook profile.

Who even uses Facebook anymore? Talk about a mystery.

This guy is way too attractive, Kyungsoo thinks almost mournfully as he looks through Jongin's profile pictures. There are only ten available, but luckily Jongin has friends who tag him in a lot of pictures. Bless friends who take pictures of everything, including Jongin in swim trunks at the beach.

The number on the piece of paper Jongin gave him last night is still in his jacket pocket, where he stuffed it after reading it twenty times over and over to make sure he wasn't imaginging things. He wouldn't want anyone – cough his mom cough Baekhyun cough creepy Jongdae – finding that note, or he'd have some explaining to do.

Besides, it's not like Kyungsoo actually has plans to call Jongin. Staring at someone's Facebook profile picture is totally different from actually contacting them – the latter requires social contact Kyungsoo's not sure he wants to endure just yet, because if just looking at Jongin's picture makes him nervous, imagine what actually talking to him would do?

Kyungsoo's looking through Jongin's profile information when he spots something surprising – one mutual friend. Who could we possibly both know? Kyungsoo wonders as he presses on the link, only to be directed to Oh Sehun's profile page.

We're friends? Kyungsoo thinks, trying to remember the last time he even spoke to the younger male. Memories of tutoring a reluctant freshman Kyungsoo's sophomore year arise, and Kyungsoo shudders. Oh, yeah.

Still, that doesn't explain how Sehun knows Jongin. Sehun barely talks to anyone; from what Kyungsoo could remember of the boy from two years ago, he was always quiet and cool, never bothering to go out of his way to talk to anyone.


Do Kyungsoo
hey sehun. i know this is random but how do you know jongin?


Kyungsoo waits for a reply, switching between tabs of Jongin's photos and YouTube videos of laughing babies (the latter is so he doesn't feel so creepy about stalking Jongin's Facebook... although you can only take so many laughing baby videos before that gets creepy too) in the meantime.

The reply comes about fifteen minutes later, which annoys Kyungsoo because he could see Sehun read the message ten minutes ago.

Oh Sehun
uh hi? yea that's random............

Kyungsoo stares. He didn't even answer the question. Kyungsoo's eye twitches and he has to refrain from throwing his laptop at the wall in frustration. He's about to ask again when the second message comes.


Oh Sehun
i met him in dance camp 5 years ago.........


Five years? Kyungsoo blanches. But dance? Kyungsoo didn't know Sehun dances. Not that he really cares, but he may as well ask and try to squeeze more about Jongin out of Sehun in the meantime.


Do Kyungsoo
i didn't know you dance. are you in the dance team?

Oh Sehun
ya...........

Do Kyungsoo
is jongin in the dance team?

Oh Sehun
ya...... sm's dance team tho he's the captain dont u know.............?
why do u even care........?

Do Kyungsoo
i'm just curious.


Half an hour and a couple of messages later, Kyungsoo is about ready to track down Sehun just to strangle him for his overusage of ellipses. But he refrains, knowing Sehun will be a valuable asset in his quest to learn more about Jongin, as futile as it may be since their romance is as forbidden as Romeo and Juliet's.

Well, minus the bloodshed.

Maybe.




 


-




The following Monday, Kyungsoo is a man on a mission to seek out Sehun during lunch at the school cafeteria.

"Aren't you scared of him?" Chanyeol whispered after Kyungsoo finished telling Baekhyun his plans and Chanyeol just happened to overhear.

Kyungsoo just laughed. "No, I tutored the kid a couple of years ago," he explained, nonchalant.

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "You mean you sat alone with him for hours? How is that even possible? Didn't his face, like, pierce your skull?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Chanyeol's dramatic tactics. "Of course not," he replied as he walked away. "Don't wait up," he called behind him.

He could've sworn he heard Chanyeol mutter, "You can't wait for a dead guy." Kyungsoo would have turned back to throw the boy a glare, but it seems like Baekhyun took care of the job as he heard an "ouch!" following Chanyeol's remark.

Despite Kyungsoo's big talk with Chanyeol, he finds himself hesitating as he approaches Sehun. After all, there's something eerily unsettling about the way Sehun sits, head down and headphones in with his arms crossed. His entire aura just screams bother me and die!

In fact, Kyungsoo's ready to back it out of there when he notices something interesting – Sehun looks up. Kyungsoo follows his gaze to find what caused Sehun to actually spark curiosity in him.

His eyes land on Luhan, and Kyungsoo is confused for a moment as to why Sehun is staring at the transfer student as if the boy has three eyes. Then it clicks, and Kyungsoo has to stop himself from giggling because oh my God, Oh Sehun has a crush. And on a boy. Kyungsoo pauses in his thoughts then cringes. Damn, now I owe Minseok twenty bucks. How the hell did he know anyway?

That's the last time Kyungsoo's ever going to bet with Minseok on someone's uality. He's lost every single time, except for that one time with Siwon... even though Minseok insists he's just deep, deep in the closet. Like so deep, he lost his way out. Oh well. Kyungsoo still got his twenty then, and that's all that mattered.

When Kyungsoo finally realizes he's just been standing in front of Sehun, probably making really dumb expressions (Baekhyun's always said Kyungsoo's an open book, which is a pretty bad thing for someone as judgemental as Kyungsoo), he clears his throat, finally drawing Sehun's attention. Sehun's eyes immediately dull as he sees Kyungsoo.

"Oh," is all Sehun says.

"Hi," Kyungsoo starts awkwardly. "So–"

"Listen, I'll tell you all you want to know about Jongin, but don't drag me into your mess," Sehun says abruptly, practically reading Kyungsoo's mind. "Because I really could care less about your little crush."

Kyungsoo sputters. "C-Crush?! What crush?! I'm just curious!"

"Right," Sehun deadpans, disbelief seeping through that one word and soaking Kyungsoo's shirt– oh wait, that's just his sweat. Ew. This cafeteria needs better air conditioning.

"Well, at least I don't just stare at my crush at the other side of the room all lunch time," Kyungsoo snaps, crossing his arms and relishing in the way Sehun's apathetic expression is replaced with one of horror.

"W-What are you talking about?" Sehun asks, sitting up a little straighter and refusing to meet Kyungsoo's eyes. Kyungsoo grins, knowing he's caught Sehun by the tail now, and he has no intentions of letting go.

"Oh, you know who I'm talking about – that transfer student from China, Luhan," Kyungsoo hums, enjoying making Sehun squirm. Now Kyungsoo understands why Jongdae likes making people feel uncomfortable – it's fun.

"I do not!" Sehun protests a little louder than he meant to, causing a couple of people to look away. He sinks back into his seat and– is that a pout forming on his lips? Kyungsoo hasn't seen that since the first and last time he assigned Sehun extra math problems as practice when he tutored the younger. He tried to resist the pout, but it was pointless; he couldn't deny the cuteness.

But not this time! Kyungsoo will be firm! Kyungsoo will not give in! Kyungsoo–

"I'll help you with Luhan," he blurts.

Kyungsoo's a little wuss.

Sehun's eyebrows furrow at that. "I just said I don't like him," he mumbles, crossing his arms again. "Besides, why would I want your help? If you need me for information, then I bet you barely even talk to your crush too."

"My crush– I mean, Jongin goes to another school," Kyungsoo replies, hoping Sehun didn't notice his slip up (he did). "Luhan is just a couple of meters away in front of you, and you're just sitting here like a loner, watching him."

"Thanks," Sehun deadpans.

"You're welcome," Kyungsoo replies, ignoring Sehun rolling his eyes. "Besides, Luhan's in choir. I can talk to him easily for you," he promises, grinning cheekily.

Sehun grunts, but Kyungsoo can tell he's starting to warm up to the idea with the way he's not acting indifferent anymore.

Kyungsoo extends his hand out to Sehun. "So do we have a deal? You help me with Jongin and I help you with Luhan?"

Sehun eyes the hand before reluctantly grabbing it.

Thus a dysfunctional friendship is born. (Kyungsoo really needs to stop making these.)





-





If befriending Sehun felt weird to Kyungsoo, it's straight-up scandalous to Baekhyun.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU INVITED SEHUN TO OUR NEXT PERFORMANCE?!"

"I mean I invited Sehun to our next performance. It's pretty self-explanatory, " Kyungsoo replies, rolling his eyes as he eats another chip, ignoring Baekhyun gawking at him from the side.

"Sehun doesn't even participate in class, and now he's suddenly attending choir events?! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?!" Baekhyun demands, shaking Kyungsoo by the shoulder.

"Hey, stop that," Kyungsoo says with a frown, pushing Baekhyun away from his personal space bubble. "I haven't done anything. I asked him for a favor."

"And he complied?! Just like that?!" Baekhyun gapes. "What, are you two dating now?"

"Ew, no," Kyungsoo replies, almost choking on his chip at the sheer idea of going out with that stone-faced punk. "He's just helping me out with something in return for a favor. Now stop overreacting and help me style my hair."

"Why are you styling your hair?" Baekhyun asks with a frown, still not convinced. "Want to impress Sehun?"

"If you bring up Sehun and me one more time, I am going to burn your Girls' Generation photocard collection," Kyungsoo threatens, and Baekhyun gasps.

"No! It's a collector's edition!" Baekhyun cries, and when Kyungsoo's serious expression doesn't drop, he slumps his shoulders. "Okay, okay! I won't talk about it anymore!"

"Good," Kyungsoo says, satisfied. He moves to the bathroom to grab a comb, and when he comes back he finds Baekhyun on his laptop, looking through his Facebook messages with Sehun.

Many tears were shed that afternoon, none of which belonged to Kyungsoo.




-




Kyungsoo doesn't bother hiding his surprise when he arrives and sees Sehun there before him. Sure, he'd much rather see Jongin, but Sehun will do for now.

"Hey!" Kyungsoo exclaims as he approaches the younger, trying to sound cheery and enthusiastic just to make it seem as if he really wants Sehun there (which he does, but not for conventional reasons).

"Where's Luhan?" Sehun asks, completely ignoring Kyungsoo as he looks past his head at the others filing into the auditorium.

"He's coming in," Kyungsoo replies, rolling his eyes. So much for politeness. Luhan walks in, talking to Minseok and Jongdae, and Sehun immediately ducks his head when Luhan glances his way.

"Did you get my e-mail last night?" Kyungsoo asks, hurriedly changing the subject as he looks around to see if Jongin is there.

Sehun snorts, crossing his arms. "Yeah. You didn't really expect me to remember all of that, right?"

Sehun is referring to Kyungsoo's foolproof script of what Sehun needs to talk to Jongin about includes details of what to ask Jongin so that Kyungsoo may discover as much information as he needs about the younger, and what to do if Jongin happens to ask about Kyungsoo or why Sehun is even there in the first place.

"Just the general ideas," Kyungsoo answers with a shrug, but really, he means yes.

"I didn't even read the entire thing," Sehun admits, and Kyungsoo can feel a vein popping up.

"I spent two hours writing that!" Kyungsoo cries. "Why didn't you read it?"

"It was five pages long!" Sehun objects. "I don't even read school papers five pages long."

Kyungsoo groans. Why couldn't Jongin be mutual Facebook friends with someone smarter, like Cho Kyuhyun? Wait, no, Kyungsoo takes that back – dealing with Kyuhyun would be even worse than Sehun, because at least Sehun's just apathetic. Kyuhyun is a straight-up troll; he's Jongdae's senior in trolling, and that says something.

"Fine, fine, just don't say anything stupid," Kyungsoo sighs.

Sehun stares. "I'll try," he deadpans, and Kyungsoo starts to regret everything. He wants to go over some quick points with Sehun just in case, when he sees Baekhyun waving him over as they start to file backstage.

"We're going back now. Just talk to Jongin and don't screw up!" Kyungsoo whispers harshly as he sends an indifferent Sehun one final glare before rushing after Baekhyun and the group as they gather backstage.

It's a surprise Kyungsoo doesn't pass out from all the stressing he's doing just thinking about Sehun and Jongin talking. It's not that Kyungsoo doesn't trust Sehun (although that's true, because Sehun is probably bound to reveal Kyungsoo's embarrassing secrets); it's that Kyungsoo's not even sure if Jongin is going to show up today. What if the first performance was just a coincidence?

During the performance, Kyungsoo is too busy trying to his best to hit all the notes to look out into the audience and spot Sehun or Jongin. It's not until Kyungsoo comes back down from the stage after all the performances does he spot Sehun again – without Jongin.

Kyungsoo can feel himself deflating like a balloon.

"He asked you to come visit him next Saturday," Sehun says as he approaches Kyungsoo, already knowing what Kyungsoo's going to ask. He hands him a piece of paper similar to the one Jongin slipped into his pocket just a couple of weeks ago.

"Wait, he was here?" Kyungsoo asks, eyes widening. He looks around but doesn't see any sign of the taller male.

"Yeah, but he had to leave right when the performance ended. Said he had practice or something." Sehun shrugs. "I would've ask why, but I didn't care to know" Kyungsoo looks up to glare at Sehun, but to his surprise... the younger is actually grinning? What is happening?! Is the world coming to an end?! Is Hostess really going out of business for sure this time?! Is–

"Kyungsoo!" Luhan calls, and his voice is closer than Kyungsoo expected. He turns around and sees Luhan standing behind him, smiling. "Good job today! You were great!"

That explains a lot, Kyungsoo thinks as he sees Sehun's eyes glaze over, not in that oh-God-why-is-life-so-boring-someone-get-rid-of-these-peasants way but in that wow-is-Luhan-really-standing-right-in-front-of-me-is-this-a-dream way. "Thanks, Luhan," Kyungsoo says. "You did really well, too."

"Thanks," Luhan laughs. "But I'm definitely not as good as you."

Kyungsoo's about to reply when Sehun interrupts him, "I thought you were really good, too."

Luhan turns to Sehun, eyes widening slightly in surprise before turning into crescents as his face lights up in a big smile. "Thank you!"

Before Kyungsoo can even blink, Sehun and Luhan are immersed in a long conversation about how amazing Luhan is. It's the first time Kyungsoo's ever seen Sehun so eager to speak. Suddenly the conversation starts getting intense, though, as Luhan and Sehun start not-so-subtly flirting through overly-suggestive compliments about the other.

"Wow, your arms are so nice and strong."

"Not as nice as your body, though."

Kyungsoo slowly backs up and high-tails it out of there before Sehun and Luhan start making out, because Kyungsoo would like to live to see another day (and Jongin, for that matter).





-





Saturday comes too slowly and too quickly. It's not like Kyungsoo saved the date on his calendar and circled it in red marker ten times (it was blue marker, because Kyungsoo ran out of his red one) and marked the days until Saturday came. It's not like Kyungsoo rushed home Friday to start planning his outfit for the next day. And it's definitely not like Kyungsoo skimmed through Jongin's Facebook photos another dozen times just to prepare himself.

Sehun relentlessly the entire week, which was both annoying and weird and Kyungsoo's pretty sure it's all Luhan's fault. Speaking of the two, Kyungsoo finally convinced Chanyeol and Baekhyun (but mostly Chanyeol, who still flinches whenever Sehun speaks) to sit with them at lunch, which was a mistake because that only meant Chanyeol and Baekhyun would join Sehun in on the teasing, even if they didn't know what it was for.

But it was all worth the pain. Or, that's what Kyungsoo tells himself as he slowly approaches SM's practice room. He can feel his palms already beginning to sweat.

Jongin is playing "Glad You Came" by The Wanted when Kyungsoo walks in and Kyungsoo wonders if he chose that song on purpose, because if he did, Kyungsoo would seriously have to rethink this whole meeting and obsessing over Jongin thing.

Jongin is on the floor stretching, and Kyungsoo doesn't know what to say so he just runs into the wall completely on purpose and definitely not by accident because he was distracted by Jongin's arms. Luckily, it succeeds in catching Jongin's attention, who turns at the sound and grins once he sees Kyungsoo.

He's up on his feet in a split second, walking over to Kyungsoo. "So we meet at last," Jongin welcomes Kyungsoo dramatically, complete with a hand flourish and everything. Kyungsoo flushes and hopes Sehun kept his mouth shut and didn't tell Jongin how much 'research' Kyungsoo's done.

"Yep," Kyungsoo replies nervously, looking around. It's a pretty nice practice room, but even nicer are Jongin's arms. "So... this is where you practice?" Kyungsoo groans internally at his stupid question. Of course he practices here! Kyungsoo should have spent his free time researching how to properly talk instead of gaping at Jongin's pictures.

"Yeah," Jongin chuckles. "This is one of the rooms, at least."

"Cool."

"Yep."

They stand there, staring at each other when one thinks the other isn't looking. Jongin coughs, and Kyungsoo wishes the ground would swallow him up right there. This isn't anything Kyungsoo expected (although, to be fair, Kyungsoo's expectations were ridiculously grandiose and they included a majestic, white steed and a romantic sunset because Kyungsoo's mother has way too many romance novels lying around the house).

"So what do you want to do?" Jongin finally asks, breaking the silence.

"Oh, I uh thought you were gonna dance?" Kyungsoo asks. After all, why meet in a dance studio if Jongin wasn't planning on dancing?

"Well, I just finished practice," Jongin admits sheepishly. "And I'm kind of hungry."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Um I guess we could go grab something to eat then?" Kyungsoo offers, not knowing what else to do. He'd kind of been hoping to see Jongin dance, but now that he thinks about it, he'd rather not pass out in front of Jongin right after he's officially met the younger boy.

"Are you asking me out?" Jongin teases.

Kyungsoo sputters, "What?! No! You're the one who invited me here first!"

"That's true. But that's only because you didn't call me, even after I gave you my number," Jongin sighs. "Way to keep me waiting."

Kyungsoo flushes. "I actually lost your number," he admits, and it isn't a lie – the paper Jongin wrote his name on mysteriously disappeared after a couple of days. It must've gotten thrown out with all of Kyungsoo's old papers, because his mother hates it when Kyungsoo lets trash pile up on his desk.

"Here," Jongin says, pulling out his phone. "What's your number?"

Kyungsoo tells him it, and after a moment of watching Jongin type something, he feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. He takes it out and reads the message.

from xxx-xxx-xxxx
it's jongin! dont lose my number this time~ ur gonna need it ;)


Kyungsoo's too scared (and excited) to ask why.

After Jongin finishes packing up the last of his dance stuff, which was just his iPod and water bottle, they head downtown. Neither have much money on them – Kyungsoo didn't expect to be doing much today – so they settle for street food.

"I'm so starved," Jongin moans as he scarfs down his food, Kyungsoo watching him instead of eating because he already ate before.

"Is it good?" Kyungsoo asks, eyes wide in curiosity. The way Jongin is eating as if this is the last meal he'll ever have makes Kyungsoo wonder if the cart food is really that amazing.

"I guess," Jongin says with a shrug. "Want to try?"

Kyungsoo grabs piece of Jongin's food and chews on it. "It's okay," he finally says. "But my cooking's better."

Jongin's eyes flash up to stare at Kyungsoo.

"What?" Kyungsoo asks, flushing when Jongin wouldn't say anything and just continued to stare at Kyungsoo.

"It's just that you're cute and you can sing and cook," Jongin finally replies, unable to keep himself from grinning. "And you're here with me, so I must be the luckiest guy in the world right now."

Kyungsoo's not sure how to react, but he's pretty sure he shouldn't have flailed the way he did and knock over their cups of water. Jongin insists that it's okay, but Kyungsoo just keeps groaning until Jongin calls him cute again, which shuts him up.

After Jongin's finished eating half of his body weight, they sit around and just talk. It turns out Jongin is much dorkier than Kyungsoo would have ever expected (he showed Kyungsoo his Pokémon card collection... he's gotten up to 482), and he finds it actually quite refreshing and entertaining. He feels himself loosening up throughout the day as Jongin cracks more 'punny' jokes.

When it's time to go, Kyungsoo doesn't want to say goodbye, and neither does Jongin apparently.

"Can we do this again?" Jongin asks, smiling shyly as they walk together. "Like... hang out and eat together and stuff?"

Kyungsoo smiles back. "Sure. I'd like that."

Jongin beams, and in an act of great courage, he reaches over and grabs Kyungsoo's hand. Kyungsoo feels himself flush red at the contact, but that doesn't stop him from swinging their hands together as they walk down the street.

Kyungsoo almost forgets how bad this whole 'being with the enemy' thing is when Jongin smiles down at him, sun shining on his perfect profile.

Being bad never felt so good.



-



Being bad feels awful and Kyungsoo never, ever wants to do it again.

Because it's all fun and games until Kim Junmyeon, one of Kyungsoo's classmates and a fellow member in choir, spots Kyungsoo and Jongin coming out of a café together, looking a little too comfy for two students from rival schools.

Of course, Junmyeon can't just leave this alone because he's the student council president (as he won't let anyone forget) and he has a 'duty to protect this school's integrity' – which Kyungsoo finds ironic because Junmyeon crossdresses for the school's play every year and Kyungsoo's starting to suspect it's not just for the laughs.

"I saw you and your boyfriend last Saturday," Junmyeon spats at Kyungsoo after their choir practice. Kyungsoo's eyes widen, and some of the other members glance over at the two.

"W-What are you talking about?" Kyungsoo asks nervously, hoping Junmyeon is just joking around.

"I'm talking about you and that tan guy – what was his name? Kangin?"

"Jongin," Kyungsoo mumbles.

"Whatever," Junmyeon replies with a wave of his hand. "You know he goes to SM, right?"

Kyungsoo flushes red. "Y-Yes, but–"

"Well, no buts!" Junmyeon cuts him off. "You can't see him! He's an enemy! His team beat ours last year at the dance competition! He's totally off limits!"

Kyungsoo frowns. He knows Junmyeon's right, but he doesn't know what to do. He doesn't want to stop seeing Jongin – he's become a part of Kyungsoo's now, and to cut him out would be painful. Kyungsoo just stands there as Junmyeon continues reprimanding him, until Baekhyun finally steps in, done with hearing Junmyeon's voice and listening to him yell at his friend.

"Oh, stop it already, Junmyeon. You're just mad Jongdae spends all his time fanboying over Kyungsoo's voice instead of paying attention to you," Baekhyun bites back. Junmyeon becomes flustered, sputtering nonsense that no one understands nor cares to even listen to. "Seriously, don't even pay attention to him," Baekhyun says, turning back to Kyungsoo. "No one cares if you're seeing Jongin."

Kyungsoo bites his lip. "But... what if Junmyeon's right? I mean, Jongin's not only a student at SM, but he's the dance team's captain."

"So?" Baekhyun asks, rolling his eyes. "Sehun's in the dance team here, and he doesn't care. You and stick-up-his--Junmyeon are the only ones taking this school rivalry thing so far."

Kyungsoo nods, but he's not listening. What if Junmyeon tells the entire school and Kyungsoo becomes Public Enemy #1? What if Jongin's school finds out and they kick him out and Jongin is left dancing on the streets?

Or worst of all – what if Principal Lee finds out and rips him apart with pouts?! KYUNGSOO CAN'T HANDLE THE POUTS.

Kyungsoo shudders. There's only one choice left now.



-



Kyungsoo knows that if he doesn't break things off with Jongin immediately, he'll chicken out and let Jongin hold his hands and whisper really nice and funny things in his ear and beg him to buy him food and act really cute and– NO. NO. Kyungsoo has to do it and he has to do it now!

"WE CAN'T BE TOGETHER," Kyungsoo declares the moment Jongin enters the practice room. The younger boy doesn't even have the chance to put his bag down before Kyungsoo jumps on him with his news.

"What?" Jongin asks, frown already etching its way onto his features. Kyungsoo flinches and looks away. Be strong, Kyungsoo, and whatever you do – ignore the pout.

Kyungsoo is busy recollecting himself when Jongin realizes something. "Wait, we were together?" he asks, and a grin is already starting to replace his frown.

"OUR LOVE IS JUST TOO FORBIDDEN TO CARRY ON," Kyungsoo finally continues once he gets his thoughts back together. He tries his best to recite the three-page speech he prepared last night, but it's a bit hard, considering how he wrote it at 1:00AM and he only got four hours of sleep last night. Coffee can only help so much.

"L-Love?" Jongin stammers, eyes wide, but again, Kyungsoo is too busy with his supposed soliloquy.

"WE COME FROM TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS–"

Jongin frowns. "Not really. I mean, we actually have a lot of similarities–"

"AND IT JUST CAN'T WORK OUT. I'M SORRY, JONGIN, BUT I JUST CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE," Kyungsoo cries, pressing a hand to his face. "THE GUILT WAS JUST TOO MUCH."

"What guilt?" Jongin asks incredulously, still not entirely sure what Kyungsoo is even talking about.

"HANGING OUT WITH YOU WAS ONE THING, BUT CANOODLING WITH THE ENEMY CROSSED THE LINE."

"We never canoodled," Jongin mumbles, face red. "But I wish."

"IF MY PRINCIPAL EVER FOUND OUT I WAS WITH SM'S DANCE CAPTAIN, HE'D NEVER LET ME LIVE THIS DOWN. HE'D POUT ME TO DEATH."

"What."

"POUT ME TO DEATH!" Kyungsoo cries, falling on his knees. "I CAN'T HANDLE THE POUT."

"Good to know..." Jongin murmurs, stashing that secret away for further use in the future. He'll be practicing on his pout from now on; it may turn out to be handy.

"SO I MUST SAY FAREWELL," Kyungsoo finishes, finally looking at Jongin, who's just staring at him, confused.

"Uh, okay?" Jongin answers, head tilted to the side. "Wait, so does this mean we're not going out to get ice cream?" he asks, since that was why Kyungsoo originally invited him out (talk about a sweet deception).

Kyungsoo actually looks like he's contemplating it, expression torn. Fist clenched, he shakes his head stubbornly. "I CAN'T. I MUST BE STRONG."

Before Jongin can even protest, Kyungsoo is rushing out of the room, fingers in his ears, "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU WHINING BECAUSE I'M LEAVING. GOODBYE, JONGIN, IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU."

Jongin watches as Kyungsoo leaves, almost stumbling on the stairs as he shouts. If he didn't like Kyungsoo so much, he would've laughed. (Oh, hell, he still laughed. Kyungsoo is so cute when he acts like a dork.)

Despite Kyungsoo's plans, this wouldn't be the last time he sees Jongin.





-






It's been officially 145 hours, 53 minutes, and 42 seconds since Kyungsoo cut off all contact with Jongin, and boy has it been a painful 145 hours, 53 minutes, and 42 seconds.

Kyungsoo would usually hang out with Jongin on Thursdays, when they both didn't have either choir or dance practice and would just go and try out street food together and mess around. But today he has nothing and no one, so he just sulks around school, waiting for Baekhyun to finish with his Jesters Club meeting so they could walk home together.

He runs into Chanyeol during his sulking. Kyungsoo doesn't even ask what Chanyeol's doing here; he knows they're both waiting for the same person, though for different reasons.

"Why the long face?" Chanyeol asks, sitting down beside Kyungsoo. "Did you run out of cooking spray?"

Kyungsoo glares at Chanyeol. "Of course not. What do you take me for – a fool? I always keep extras," he huffs, crossing his arms.

"I was joking," Chanyeol mumbles, cowering like a puppy beside Kyungsoo. "But seriously, what's wrong? You've been mopey all week. Even Sehun's noticed, and Sehun doesn't notice anything besides Luhan."

Kyungsoo sighs, shaking his head. "It's just... this person I like goes to a different school so we can't see each other."

"Why?" Chanyeol asks with a frown. "That doesn't sound like a reason not to see each other. I mean, unless you mean you literally can't see each other because he goes to a different school, but then again there are weekends, and Skype video calls, and Snapchat, and–"

"Chanyeol?"

"Yes?"

"Please shut up."

"Okay." Chanyeol goes back to cowering.

Kyungsoo sighs. "But he goes to SM High, and you know how we are with them... it just wouldn't work out with this whole rivalry thing going on."

"Who cares?" Chanyeol asks, and Kyungsoo turns to stare at him, expression asking what he's talking about.

Chanyeol shrugs and continues, "Love's worth the risk, I guess. I mean, sure, you're putting your heart on the line, and it may or may not be tossed back at you after being run over by a train and crushed by a hammer, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Even if other people tell you you can't do anything, screw them. They're not you, you know? I think it's worth it, in the end, to say you at least tried to make it work, or else you're just going to be stuck there wondering about what if's and stuff like that."

"Wow," Kyungsoo breathes. He didn't expect that at all. That was surprisingly... deep for Chanyeol. Then again, Chanyeol has a tendency to spout nonsense he thinks is philosophical when, in reality, it sounds like he's just on drugs. Maybe this is one of those times and Kyungsoo's just so desperate for advice that he's actually listening.

"Yeah, but first thing's first – you gotta open up. Rip that heart right outta you and present it to him," Chanyeol says proudly. "If you can do that, then it's love."

Kyungsoo blinks at the image. "Love sounds kind of painful."

Chanyeol tilts his head thoughtfully. "Huh. I guess it does."

"Well, thanks for nothing," Kyungsoo sighs. Chanyeol's advice went from profound to ridiculous in a second flat, which doesn't really surprise Kyungsoo.

"Any time!" Chanyeol replies cheerfully. "Hope you and Jongin work out!"

"W-What?!" Kyungsoo sputters, flailing his arm and almost knocking out Chanyeol (almost being the key word here, unfortunately). "Who told you?!"

"Sehun. He's actually a lot nicer at lunch... although sometimes he still ignores me whenever Luhan's gone," Chanyeol says with a frown. "But at least he doesn't glare at me anymore!"

Kyungsoo sighs. Even Sehun is making progress with his love life. Maybe Kyungsoo really does need to take a step out of his comfort zone and go for it.

 

 

-

 




Thanks to Sehun, Kyungsoo finds out when and where Jongin's first dance scrimmage is. He's made elaborate plans to surprise him and beg the younger to take him back.

But everything goes down the drain when he sees Jongin performing on stage. When Kyungsoo thinks about it, he can't help but realize how unfair it is that Jongin's heard him sing several times, but Kyungsoo's never once seen Jongin dance until now.

Part of Kyungsoo is relieved he's never seen him dance until now; at least Kyungsoo can gawk all he wants when he watches Jongin from the crowd. If he were to ever see Jongin dance privately, Kyungsoo doesn't even want to think of the embarrassing things his body would do.

Kyungsoo gets himself together and wipes the drool off his face as Jongin gets down from the stage, towel around his neck as he gulps down water. The crowd is cheering, but Kyungsoo is too awe-struck to join them. He makes a move to approach Jongin, but it seems the other spots him right away anyway.

"Hey," Jongin says, walking over to him with a smile. "Sehun told me you were coming."

Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows. That good for nothing Sehun and his big mouth. "It was supposed to be a surprise," Kyungsoo mumbles, making a note to have a private conversation with Luhan later this week.

Jongin chuckles. "It's okay. If he hadn't told me, I wouldn't have danced so hard for you."

Kyungsoo looks up at him, and upon meeting the brown eyes he's missed so much, smiles. "You were really good," he says quietly.

"Thanks. I tried my best for you," Jongin teases.

"Why?"

"So you'd take me back, of course," Jongin replies, grinning at the way Kyungsoo's eyes widen.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

There's an awkward silence, and Jongin sighs. "I thought we were over this awkward stage," he says, completely ruining the moment (although it was a moment worth ruining).

"What stage are we on then?" Kyungsoo asks, eyebrow raised.

"Hopefully the dating stage," Jongin answers, smirking.

"Someone's arrogant," Kyungsoo snorts, trying his best to act nonchalant when inside he's screaming.

"Well, you kind of already confessed everything when you decided to 'break up' with me," Jongin says, but he's grinning at the way Kyungsoo hides his face.

"Way to be anti-climactic," Kyungsoo mumbles under his breath.

Jongin shrugs and pulls Kyungsoo and wraps his arms around him. "What, do you want me to confess dramatically the way you did?"

Kyungsoo flushes at the memory. "Well, no, but–"

"Because I totally could. I'll get on that stage and proclaim my love if that's what it takes." Jongin may sound like he's joking, but Kyungsoo knows he would totally do it if Kyungsoo even hinted that he'd want that.

Kyungsoo shakes his head furiously. "No! This-this is fine," he mumbles, resting his head on Jongin's shoulder.

"Hmm, good," Jongin murmurs into Kyungsoo's hair. "Because I missed this. You really left me hanging last week. I don't know how I survived without seeing you."

"I said you didn't have to confess dramtatically," Kyungsoo groans, hating the way Jongin easily makes him red.

"I'm not confessing anything; I'm just stating the known facts," Jongin says with a grin. "You missed me, too, right?"

"Of course," Kyungsoo sighs. "It was so bad that I had to talk to Chanyeol before I could do anything. His advice was surprisingly helpful."

"What'd he tell you?"

"That you were worth the risk, even if we went to different schools."

Jongin chuckles. "I can't believe you care that much about that stupid school rivalry thing," Jongin sighs, and Kyungsoo flushes as he presses his face into Jongin's chest. "I don't think anyone besides you takes our schools' competition that seriously."

"I don't think you've seen our principal's pout," Kyungsoo mumbles, and Jongin just laughs again.

"Well, he can pout all he wants, but I'm not going to give you up."

Kyungsoo snorts, hitting Jongin's chest. "When did you get so cheesy?"

"I've always been cheesy. The real question is: will you be my cheerleader at my dance competition?" Jongin asks, lips curving into a grin as he looks down at Kyungsoo in his arms.

Kyungsoo snorts. "Only if you promise to hold a sign for me at my choir performances," he replies sarcastically, smiling as Jongin presses his lips to his forehead.

"That can be arranged," Jongin answers, and the way he says it makes Kyungsoo wish he hadn't said that all.

And that is why Jongin shows up to one of the choir performances with a "Do Kyungsoo can hit all the high notes, if you know what I mean" sign (Kyungsoo whacked him over the head as soon as he got off stage, then proceeded to kiss his boyfriend senseless) and how Kyungsoo ended up in tight shorts, wearing a t-shirt that says "Dance on me, Kim Jongin!" on it (Jongin swears he can come up with his own catchphrase company and make billions).






-





"By the way, you do know Principal Lee and Principal Kim are best friends, right?"

"What."

"Yeah, the rivalry's all in good fun. Principal Kim just has a competitive side, so Principal Lee has to step it up to meet it. But they have drinks together at the end of every week."

"... I should've gone to EXO High."

 

 

 

 


a/n: if you can tell me what BL Academy (or just BL) stands for i'll give you a cookie and we can have a good laugh together. and if you can figure out who the principals are, you can have another cookie (i'll give you a hint though everybody in this fic is from SM and nO not lee soo man okay).

if you catch any mistakes, please throw them my way!

thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed!

p.s. does anyone know why aff's italicized words are also bolded? o.o" right now it's not for this fic (... right?), but looking back on my older fics, the italicized words were bolded (and i definitely did not do that) and i just- i just don't know... w h y aff w h y