Part 1

Cancer
“Taemin, I’ll just be out for a little while. If anything happens, you can find me in the supply room.”

“Ah! Okay,” Taemin quickly replied to the art teacher. He waited until the teacher had left the room before lowering his head and engrossing himself with his work again. He was staying in during lunch to get a head start on the new art project his class was assigned. He was supposed to sculpt something related to the theme “Space” from pipe wires. He already had a few ideas, but none of them were quite as original or spectacular as he had wanted them to be.

Letting out a sigh, he got off his seat to grab more pipe wires. He was just randomly going through the box of pipe wires the teacher had left on her desk when someone entered the room. At first Taemin thought it was the teacher that was coming in the room, but as he lifted his head just about to greet her, he realized it was just another student—a tall one. Their eyes had locked for only a mere second but Taemin smiled at the taller boy just to make it less awkward.

Taemin just took the bundle of pipe wires on the top and headed back to his seat. The other boy went to the back of the room and picked up a little ball of paper-mache and then placed it on the table behind Taemin. The boy pulled out a chair and sat on it sluggishly. He managed a small sigh before spending the rest of his lunch working on a long lost project he had forgotten about months ago.

Forty minutes passed before the teacher came back from the supply room with a box of acrylic paint in her arms. She opened the box and orderly placed the bottles of paint in the shelf, arranging them so it’s color-coded. When she was finally satisfied with her arrangement, she locked the shelf up and released a content moan. She brushed whatever dust she had accumulated on her hands while organizing paint on the apron that she always adorned on top of her turtleneck. Then, she noticed the taller boy’s presence and approached him with a rigid smile on her face. She placed a hand on his shoulder and said, “Well, hello Minho. I see you have finally decided to finish that project of yours, yeah?”

The taller boy slowly looked the teacher in the eyes and returned a stiff smile. He laughed nervously and answered, “Yeah…”

The teacher’s eyes widened slightly at the answer. It clearly came across her face that she was surprised at the boy’s answer. But that quickly washed off her features as a nod came in.

She hummed understandingly and said, “A lot of marks will be deducted for handing a project in this late, but you should still finish it. It’ll always be better than a zero.”

“I know,” he replied, but the teacher had already moved along.

She stopped by Taemin to see how he was doing, but Taemin was still stuck with drafts. He wanted to make something that was original and fascinating, something nobody had though of. And the teacher noticed that too.

She laughed at the unsatisfied look on Taemin’s face and pointed at all the failed products Taemin had sculpted so far, “Why don’t you just combine all these? I promise you nobody has ever done that before.”

Taemin’s face instantly lit up with a bright smile. He looked right up at the teacher and replied, “That might just work!”

The bell rang right when Taemin was just about to really get working so he ended up cleaning up his table and getting ready for the next class. He took up the many failed products he made and put them into a secure little bag of his. While stuffing the bag into his backpack with one hand, he neatly pushed in his chair with the other. He turned around and put his backpack on. Then, with a sigh, he stretched his tired arms as far as his body would allow. He smiled and was about take his leave when he suddenly felt a pair of eyes on him. He turned and look at the boy who was still sitting at the table behind him. A pair of eyes were definitely on him. A pair of really big eyes—too big.

Being the polite child Taemin was, he smiled and bowed slightly at the boy who seemed to be older. Even though Taemin might become late for his next class, he attempted small talk. “What's that supposed to be?” He asked cheerfully, pointing to the long, black and hard looking mass. The actions Taemin does may be polite but his words, not so much. And he doesn't even realize this.

The other boy chuckled lightheartedly and answered confidently, “This is my leather shoe.”

Taemin gave the shoe a good long stare with a smile plastered on his face. He tilted his head to a side and commented, “Oh. If you stare long enough, it does look like one.”

The other boy returns the smile and chuckled softly again. “Thank you.”
 
:


“Aaaaah! I hate this!” The brown haired boy kicked his feet fiercely in the water, splashing water on himself. He grumbled loudly at his own mistake while rubbing his eyes. He ruffled his golden brown hair into a messy mop and sighed heavily.

He removed his gaze from the sickening blue water and placed them on the group of kids beyond the fence that enclosed the outdoor pool.

Taemin was sitting on the deck of the school's swimming pool, kicking water with his feet while floods of students were happily evacuating the school buildings. He clicked his tongue disappointingly. He wished he could be amongst the massive flood of students, hurrying home with their friends while they talk about nonsense. But no, he was stuck in the lonely swimming pool practicing his freestyle swimming on a beautiful sunny day. Teachers were going to be testing next week and if Taemin—who can't even hold his breath underwater for more than ten seconds—didn't start practicing, he might just get an ugly zero on his report.

Taemin, passing all his classes with over seventy percent, was not going to stain his report with an unsightly zero. Even if he still turned out to have absolutely no skill or technique with his swimming, the teachers might give him a passing mark if he tried really hard. And Taemin was trying really hard. He even made sure the teachers knew he was staying in after school for practice. So, taking a deep breath, Taemin once again plunged into the pool. Water splashed up the sides and rippled around his struggling figure. He had sealed his eyes shut, keeping the chlorinated water out. Dumb move, because now he can't see underwater.... Goggles, I need goggles.

Taemin lifted his head up almost immediately after it had gone underwater. Being unable to see underwater when he was already practically cripple in water did not appear as a bright idea to him. Having said that, he slowly waddled his way back to the steps and climbed out of the water, droplets rolling down his hair and skin. He flopped down on the deck and sprawled his limbs across the cool tiles.

Silently, he lay there and his lips pinch into a pout. This is hopeless. I don't even know how to swim. A soft sigh escapes his tight lips and he squeezed his eyes shut. For a while, he was really contemplating whether to quit or not. The ocean and public pools had always been a phobia to him since he was a child, but as he grew older the fear eventually subsided. He still avoided the pool as much as possible and refused to do any swimming. It totally didn't make any sense to Taemin why his parent refused to provide his teachers a note to excuse him from swimming activities. Hence, his teachers thought he was another lazy student that didn't give a damn about swimming and will not care to learn how. And even if he did try to explain to his teachers about his case, none of them believed him. I hate being misunderstood. So Taemin gave his all in participation and tried to show that he did care and did try. But he had reached his limits. I can't do this anymore. I can't just miraculously learn how to swim by myself. There's no way I—

“Hey! You're not dead right...?”

Taemin suddenly opened his eyes and jerked his head around in surprise. He had no idea someone else had come into the pool while he was busy depressing himself. But what shocked him more was the question asked. Did he actually look like he was dead? Sure, he was laying flat on the deck in an awkward position and his eyes were closed, but that did not mean he was dead. It was almost insulting to him. Did the person think he had drowned but somehow died on the deck? Or did he think he got a heatstroke?

Taemin frowned up at the person and replied curtly, “No, I'm not dead,” with irritation evident in his voice.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. It was just...you know...to be on the safe side,” the person stuttered. He continued to mumble apologies and words in his defense, eyeing Taemin carefully while he did.

Taemin averted his eyes and pushed himself off the deck. He stare at the the floor guiltily and said, “You know, just forget it. I was in a bad mood and I'm sorry for taking it out on you. You were only concerned.”

There was a slight pause before a low giggle broke through, and footsteps sounded in the almost empty outdoor pool before stopping abruptly behind Taemin. A long shadow cast down on him, turning the spot he was staring at dark. Hesitantly, he looked up and was met with handsome eyes. However handsome though, Taemin did not ignore the fact that they were, in fact too big. That thought had gears turning in Taemin's head. Those big eyes were really familiar. There was a moment of déjà vu going on inside of Taemin's head before it finally hit him.

This big bro was the same as the one in the art room. The one with the weird shoe. Taemin's eyes twinkled wittingly and shouted, “You're that hyung with the weird shoe!”

The older boy's eyes grew even wider and sparkled the same way the younger pair below his had. He laughed comically and nodded. The witty sparkle in his eyes had left, but a new shine developed in the bright brown orbs. The brilliant glow in his eyes gleamed with excitement at the innocent honesty of the fairer brown orbs below him. His lips danced, “You're really honest, aren't you? I like that.”

Fairer eyes squinted into a cheerful smile. A soft chuckled left cherry lips and Taemin sang, “So what brings you here on such a sunny afternoon?”

The older boy disregarded the casual tone of the younger boy's speech, thinking it's just the way the younger boy was, and replied, “I'm here to swim.”

“Why spend such a beautiful day in the school pool? There are so many other things you could do! But as for me, I'm stuck here until I learn how to swim properly. Which I'm convinced will never happen in this lifetime.”

The older boy scratched his chin thoughtfully and hummed in response. He titled his head and suggested, “I can teach you, if you want.”

Taemin gave a surprised glance in his direction and gasped. The other boy rigidly sat down beside Taemin with crossed legs. He turned to face Taemin and said, “You have a swimming test soon, right?”

Taemin held his head in a half nod, considering whether or not to accept the offer before completing the action. He really wanted to pass the test, but he to learn from a stranger–he wasn't that desperate. But the older boy seemed really nice. And to turn him down when he kindly offered to teach the beginner Taemin was somewhat rude.

Taemin chewed his bottom lip gently in thought. He doesn't look like he would hurt me. It should be okay, right? He secretly stole another glance in the elder's direction. The other boy was calmly looking at the water with a hint of a smile on his face. Yes, it should be fine.

Pumping his fist, he shouted, “Okay! Please teach me then–wait, I don't even know your name!”

“It's Choi Minho.”

“And I'm Lee Taemin. Let's be friends, okay?” Taemin smiled cheerfully and reached his hand out to Minho.

Minho took the boy's smaller hand in his own and chirped, “Friends.” Minho stood up and pulled Taemin along with him as he did. With their hands clasped together, they grinned childishly to each other, acknowledging their new found friendship.

Minho was the one to break their locked hands. He glanced in the pool's direction and hummed under his breath. What to do? Where to start? The younger boy with him was a total beginner, so he should teach the basics first right? Okay, so the basics it is.

Minho walked over to the shallow end of the pool and motioned for Taemin to follow, so Taemin trotted along. Minho glanced hopefully at him and asked, "Can you float?"

"No," came Taemin's instant reply. He quickly added, "I had a near death experience in the ocean once and eventually I developed a phobia towards anything close to swimming. Since then, I've never gone anywhere near a pool or the ocean again." Taemin took a deep breath and ended his explanation with a soft, "Please go easy on me."

Taemin fidgeted a little and looked up to meet Minho's curious eyes. Minho's lips parted ajar and Taemin could have swore he heard a faint "what?" under his breath. Taemin kept silent and waited patiently for the elder's response. The response was a chocked, "...What?"

Almost annoyed, the younger repeated as gently as possible, "I had a near death experience in the ocean when I was a child. I developed a phobia after that and never again went swimming. So please, take it easy on me."

Minho still had the same skeptical look in his eyes and his lips part again, only to produce no words. This time, Taemin nudged at Minho's side and pouted at the awkwardly long silence. The taller boy coughed and finally spoke, "I don't understand. If that's the case then why don't you just explain that to the teachers?"

Taemin looked to his feet and sighed. He didn't look like he was going to give a reply, so Minho said, "I'll still teach you, if you want it. I was just wondering..."

Taemin nodded and looked up again, meeting solid dark brown eyes. He sighed again and elaborated, "My teachers won't believe me. And my parents refused to excuse me from the test. I don't even know why. So I'm stuck with the test. And I don't want to fail, so I'm going to learn how to swim. So please," Taemin begged for Minho to start teaching.

Minho nodded understandingly and jumped into the pool. Taemin followed suit. Minho held onto one of the metal bars on the side and allowed himself to float on his back. He turned to face Taemin and smiled, "I'll teach you how to float first. Once you got that down, all you need is basically common sense to paddle with your arms and you can swim."

Taemin nodded determinedly and tightly held onto the metal bar and copied what the other had done. It worked, he floated. But it's what comes next that will be difficult for the boy.

Minho let go of his hold on the bar and drifted slowly on the water's surface. He watched Taemin keenly with the side of his eyes and noticed how the boy was reluctant to let go of the bar. Flipping over, he swam towards the tense body that was barely afloat. He grabbed the younger boy by his wrists and guided, “Don't tense up. Just relax your muscles.”

The younger one nodded and slowly, his body loosened out. He kept his eyes shut, thinking it would be easier to relax that way. And if anything did go wrong, there was someone with him to help. And soon, he felt his body float easily on the water's slow current. His legs, hips and chest moved in sync with the flow of the water. And for a mere second, Taemin thought he was superior. He thought there will be no difficulty in his conquest of triumph. Though, that thought was proven wrong when Taemin felt the secure hands that held tightly onto him discreetly loosen and slowly slipping off. His eyes snapped open and he was faced with the reality that he cannot support his own weight without the guidance of another. But reassuring words warmed its way into Taemin's ears and he was already reclaiming his confidence. Such strong words, “Don't worry. I'll let go slowly, when I know you can do it. Just continue to relax.”

Taemin giggled at the thoughtfulness in Minho's words. Just like a kindergarten teacher. But the giggling stopped when Taemin realized he just called himself a kindergartener. And none of this was unseen by Minho. Out of curiosity he asked, “What was so funny?”

Taemin kicked his feet lightly and murmured, "Just that you act like a kindergarten teacher." Minho's eyes widened at the unexpected comment. It was the first time anyone has told him that. And truthfully, he wasn't sure to be happy or sad. But he took it as a compliment and focused his attention back to the lesson. Once Taemin's kicking stopped, Minho loosened his grip once again and his hands were now lightly gripping onto Taemin's fingers.

The action alerted Taemin once again, and he was now fully concentrated, eyes closed and all. He slowed his breathing so his chest didn't move as much. His arms were getting a little numb from staying in the same position for a while, so Taemin took in a gulp of air and risked it. He whispered, "You can let go."

This time the older boy was the one surprised. He had not expected Taemin to say that. Nor did he think the boy could learn so fast. Because Taemin was actually floating now. By himself. It totally did not make sense to Minho. If the boy was such a quick learner, he could have easily learned from the teachers.

But there was another thing Minho didn't expect. When Taemin very slowly opened his eyes, his breathing became heavy and his heartbeat skyrocketed. His hands were now by his sides, and there was panic written all over his face. And at this point, Minho panicked too. Taemin's body was slowly dipping back underwater. His body tipped over to a side in one jerky movement and his body sank down for a second before his legs found the floor of the pool. He was upward now and his mouth was opened widely, in all the air he could take and his hands were furiously rubbing at his eyes.

Minho 's mouth was hanging open from shock. He mentally slapped himself for not doing anything during the little incident. But this time he slapped himself in reality for forgetting the fact that this was the shallow end. The younger boy was almost as tall as himself, and the water only reached up the his chest. He quickly hurried over to Taemin's side and checked the boy to see if he suffered any injuries. After all, he was still responsible for what had happened. He was careless.

Taemin, however remembered his childhood trauma once he had opened his eyes and felt that his body was on top of the water...slowly drifting off. Which was probably half illusion, since it is not that easy to drift very far in a school pool. But once his foot touched solid ground, reality punched him right in the face for losing composure and almost drowning. But he had realized it was stupid and impossible to drown in the school pool's shallow end. Excluding the possibilities of suicide and homicide.
Taemin grabbed his chest in the midst of his coughing fit and when it finally subsided, he looked wearily up at Minho and sighed.

"That was scary."

Minho who was still a little shocked, merely nodded with a worried expression on his face. He turned his junior around and scanned his body one more time before asking, "You're not hurt, are you?"

The questioned junior shook his head slowly and sighed. He removed his hand from his chest and brought t up to his messy head. He turned back to face his senior and smiled tiredly, "No, but that was really, really, scary. Stupid me."

"No way, man! That was my fault. Sorry." The older boy climbed onto the deck and crouched near the steps. He leaned forward and said, "Let's call it a day, 'kay?"

The younger boy however, looked a bit reluctant. He brought his hand up to play with his hair, avoiding the older one's gaze. He inhaled loudly and stretched his arms before looking into the other boy's eyes carefully and replying, "Nnn. I think I'll practice a little longer. You can go home though! I'll be fine."

Minho was not convinced though. Not after witnessing what just happened. There was not a chance he'll leave the other alone in the pool. So he climbed back down into the water and stood next to Taemin and smiled. "I'll stay with you. Let's try it again."

Taemin's lips tightened into a firm grin and he answered energetically, "Yes, hyung!"