Chapter 1

X and Y

 

I first met her in december last year. Maybe i've seen her before i was just not paying attention. Till that day, when i saw her sitting on an oak wood bench near the small ice cream shop where she got that cup of vanilla ice cream from. She always sat on that bench, when other people would always choose to sit inside due to the unbearable hot weather lately. 
The way she sat under the shade of a tree behind her, the way she dipped her spoon into her ice cream, and the sunny day that didn't quite match her facial expression. She looked gloomy, kept on staring blankly into thin air. Behind her are people whose faces wreathed in smiles, having playful conversations with their friends or maybe lovers. The contrast actually brought the idea to draw her.
 
 
 
It took her 3 weeks to finally realize there's a creepy stranger having her as his drawing subject. She could have snapped at me instead of stood up and walked away. She looked annoyed though. After that day, i never saw her again. I thought it was goodbye. But call it coincidence, destiny, or fate. I saw her again at a small rice cake stall near my friend's apartment. I didn't have the guts to say hi so i just stole a glance or two, maybe three, i have honestly lost track of how many times i've done it until she stared back at me, with judgey eyes, and asked "do i know you" with monotone voice.