Chapter 1

Hearts of Sand

"I hate you!" she screams. The vase with the flowers he got for her two days ago smashes in to the wall.
"Baby." he pleads. His hands are smacked away as he reaches for her.
She storms into their bedroom and he hears the closet door bang against the wall as it's flung open. He sits down on the couch heavily, exhausted. Exhausted by it all. By moving. By breathing. Living.
Every noise from the room made his skin jump as minutes drug on. Then her footsteps grew closer.
He looks up at her through blurry eyes. "I.."
"Don't!" she yells, venom dripping from her voice. "Don't say it. Because you don't. You don't love me. I'm not really sure if you ever did. I thought me moving in would bring us closer. Make you fall in love with me like I love you. But it only made me see the truth. You can't love. You're a pitiful shell of a human being and I hope you rot in hell for making me waste my time on you."
She turns and walks away. He keeps staring straight ahead.
The front door slams and his heart skips a beat. That's how he knew he had a heart. He could feel it every now and again. Even if it was broken.
His eyes slowly look down and he feels his heart again. Just the barest trace of it. His knees hit the floor and then his hands as he slides off the couch. He crawls along the cold, hard floor until he reaches the picture. Crumpled and torn in half when she found it.
Taking a half in each hand, he holds the pieces together. Trying to make it whole again.

"Are you going to take me for ice cream on every one month anniversary?" you teasingly asked.
He looked at you confused. "Huh?"
You giggled. "We've dated for three months today and after every month," You held up the ice cream cone, "You buy me ice cream."
He blushed with a shy smile. "Sorry. Didn't realize I was doing it."
"It's okay." you reassured him. "I like it."
"So in another month, I'll take you for ice cream again."
A mischievous grin formed on your face. "What if we're not together?"
He frowned at you. "That's not an option."
You stopped walking and stared at him because of the tone in his voice. "I was only kidding."
He placed a hand on your cheek and affectionately looked in to your eyes. "I love you."
You gasped at his confession and felt your heart flutter. Then you bit your lip before shyly smiling. "I love you."
A smile formed on his face as yours got bigger. Then your hand quickly moved as you lightly pressed your ice cream in to his cheek. He jumped and jerked back, bringing a hand up to wipe at the cold substance. He stared at his now sticky fingers and then at you. You stuck your tongue out at him playfully before you took off running. Off of the boardwalk and across the sandy beach. He smiled and raced after you. Both of you laughing.


When you grab sand, it slips through the cracks of your fingers. The harder you squeeze, desperately holding on to it, the more you lose. He had grabbed you and held you tightly. Never wanting to let go.
Two girlfriends and five years ago, the love of his life slipped through his fingers.