Reverse -Your Side-

Reversed

Long, long time ago, on a land far, far away, there was a myth about a mirror; the “Magic Mirror.” However you see it, it’s just a normal looking mirror from the outside; but there’s some “chosen” peoples who can actually look through the mirror—another world that not everyone knows it exist.

But of course, this is just a myth. But by the time goes, the myth was spread all over the world, and there’s just some peoples who make mistakes on retelling the story; so now it exist in so many different kind of stories. And the real magical mirror had gone missing, no one know where it is right now.  Not like they cared much—hey, it’s just a freaking mirror; who would actually care?

Someone does, though.

The actual myth said that the “other world” that can be seen through the mirror is a world where everything is “reversed.”

This girl—this someone who is searching for the mirror—is actually not someone who’s fond of myths. She just wanted to know; wanted to change. To change reality... to change fate.

She wanted a world where she might find happiness—a “reversed” world, a world where maybe, just maybe, she could change her fate and be happy.

She just wanted to feel a little bit of happiness.

...is that too much to ask for...?

 

 

 

You were sitting on the edge of your bed while reading a novel you borrowed from a small library next to your house. You read word-per-word, absorbing the meaning of the words. This novel, a romance and slice-of-life kind of novel, was that novel that you fell in love the first time you lay your eyes on it. The cover is just perfection. How the artist actually draw a master piece of art, you didn’t know. And when you started reading the novel, just two chapters are enough to make you fall in love much more with the book.

Even though you actually kind of envied the girl on the novel—because she’s living a live inside a novel, she wouldn’t really have to endure those cruel reality. And since it’s a damn freaking novel, you know she’ll end up in a happy ending.

Unlike you.

Every day, every hour, every second you wondered why god didn’t create you the way you wanted. The you right now is nothing—hated, left out, ignored, and was always the one being bullied.

Though, to be honest, you’ve had enough. You’re sick of all kinds of rude treatments. You being ignored is fine, you don’t care, but they sometimes even spread false rumors about you. They talked like they knew. And you didn’t even do anything wrong—or so you thought. Maybe people just like to pick up on you. Why, you don’t know.

You didn’t know why god hated you so damn much. You being bullied was one thing, and there’s still another. Your father died on an accident when you were six, and your mother had gone crazy over your father’s death. At the time your mother is so stressed out, your older brother decided to leave you and your mother all alone; he himself is stressed, and didn’t want to burden your mother. That was what he said, though you didn’t believe it—you knew he just didn’t want to live anymore days with a crazy mother like yours.

Since your brother’s departure, your mother had been more and more crazy, and is really harsh on you. She beats you up, drinks, gambles... you knew all along she got all of the money from selling herself, and you were almost sold by your own mother once yourself.

You shuddered remembering that memory. It frightened you, a lot. You shake your head, trying to make those memories fly far, far away. You just didn’t want to remember it, not now.

You decided to concentrate back on your novel, curious on the end. You have just about three more chapters to finish.

That is, until a knock at the door just had to disturb you.

You can’t stop the knocking at the door, and the door to your room opened anyway. You can see you aunt by the door. “Come on, girl. Let’s have dinner,” she reminded you.

“Sure, let’s go,” you said, following your aunt downstairs. “So what’s for dinner today?”

“Meatballs,” she answered shortly.

You raised an eyebrow. “Now that’s rare,” you commented.

“If you don’t want it, don’t eat it, girl. Just go back to your room after eating you dinner,” she said harshly. Yeah. Even your own aunt is harsh on you. You were even still living here because there’s this angel from heaven—named your uncle—that’s nice enough to let you stay here.

You didn’t reply and just started to eat. Both of you ate in silence. She finished first and put her dishes on the sink. She left without saying anything. You sighed, ‘Another day of cleaning the dishes, huh.

You quickly finished your dinner after, then started to wash the dishes. After finish washing the dishes, you slowly walked up to your room, came in and quickly shut it—and locking it. You took your novel and started reading it again, until it was finished. It was about half past nine when you finished the novel.

You decided you didn’t want to sleep right now, so you turn on your laptop. You opened Google, and searched the ‘Magic Mirror.’ That so called magic mirror has been disturbing you for some time now, you have overheard some of your classmates talking about this thousand-years-old myth, and you were curious over it.

They say that there’s this world where everything is reversed.

So you thought maybe you could go there and just be... happy. It’s been years since you had really smiled, and truly filled with happiness,... you don’t know... 10 years, maybe?

Back to what were you doing.

You scrolled over pages, reading one-by-one stories about this magical mirror. Since this myth was thousands of years old, much false information was given. You didn’t know what information you should trust. And you didn’t even know where the hell the freaking mirror was.

It was half to twelve when you’ve realized how sleepy you are. So you turned your laptop off, change your clothes, and then go to sleep.

Sleeping, hoping tomorrow, when you wake up, you’ll see that all of the events you’ve been through was all just a nightmare.

Yeah. That was what you always thought before you sleep—every single night.

Well, good night, you.

 

 

 

It’s already 8 when you woke up. Since it is Sunday today, it’s your free day—meaning no school and stuffs—you decided you’re going to go tidy up your room and read some more novels. So you got up and took a shower. After you’re done changing, you went downstairs to eat breakfast. You found two slices of bread on the table, so you ate it. There’s a note on the table.

I’m going to the hospital and I’m going to shop for supplies. If you’re leaving anywhere, don’t forget to lock the doors. I’ll be back around 4. –Aunt, it says.

So she’s gone,’ you thought. ‘Well whatever.

After you had finished your breakfast, you went up to your room and took some of the novels you had borrowed the other day. You’re going to give it back now, and maybe borrow some more novels. So you went out, locked the door, and went to your neighbor next door. She opened a small library in her house since about two years ago. You knocked and opened the door. Coming in, you heard your name being called.

“Morning,” she greeted, smiling. You only smiled.

“Morning,” you greeted back. “I’m returning these, and may I borrow some others...?” you asked.

“Of course, girl,” she replied. “Well I’m cooking lunch, so have fun looking around. Just, you know, press the bell if you’re done.”

“Of course,” you said. She, your neighbor, and you uncle, are probably the only ones nice to you. You really appreciate their kindness towards you. They were maybe the only one who truly cared about you.

So you started looking around. You put the books you borrowed earlier on the receptionist table and went to the novels sections. You looked through some of the novels, and read its synopsis. You eventually found some interesting novels, so you decided you’d borrow them. After collecting, like, 5 novels, you went to the receptionist table and pressed the bell. Your neighbor came some minute after.

“Sorry,” she started. “I’ve just finished cooking,” she apologized with a slight smile.

“Ah, it’s fine, really,” you said. She started to write down the books you’re going to borrow, and then started counting how much it’ll cost. You paid and left the house and said goodbye.

If just auntie’s as nice as her. Seriously.

 

 

 

After reading some chapters of the first novel—entitled ‘Truth or Dare’—you started to feel hungry. You came downstairs and went to the kitchen, looking if there’s any instant food around. There were two plastic of instant noodles, so you decided to eat it. It’s not that you can’t cook, you’re just lazy. You took the instant noodle and cooked it, and ate it.

Just when you wanted to go upstairs, the front door opened. It was your uncle. You looked at your uncle and smiled. He’s been away for some weeks now, since there was training in Japan.

“Ah? You’re back early. I thought you were supposed to be back the day after tomorrow,” you stated, one eyebrow raising.

He just grinned. “What? Not happy that I’m home?”

“Nah, I am quite happy you’re back,” you said. “...oh, and welcome back.”

“Thanks,” he smiled and walked to you. He ruffled your hair lightly. “By the way, can you help me with something?”

“Yes? What’s it?” you asked.

“I want you to find a box filled by history books on the storing room, I need it for work,” he instructed. “Can you? It’ll be a bit dusty—or really dusty, I don’t know, but...”

“No worry, uncle,” you cut his sentence. “I’ll find it. You can just rest; you must be tired, right?”

“Thanks,” he smiled. “again.”

And with that he went to his room.

 

 

 

 

“H-Hachoo!”

You sneezed while trying to find the books. It’s really dusty here. After checking the boxes one by one, you finally found it. ‘But, what the heck, it’s so freaking heavy!

You finally decided to drag out the box since it was too heavy for you, but while you were dragging the box, you accidentally hit a mirror, and the mirror almost fell. You put aside the mirror—it was really, really dusty, and it was covered by white cloth. You looked at the mirror while trying to stand it up again. You removed the cloth, and you realized how pretty the mirror was. It looked old and fragile, but you loved it.

Huh, maybe I can ask uncle about the mirror. Hope he’ll give it to me.

You covered the mirror again with the cloth, and dragged the box again, to your uncle’s room. When you arrived, you knocked at the door, and he opened it.

“Oh, found it already?” he asks. You nodded. “Thank you, really.”

“Nah, it’s alright, uncle. And by the way, do you know the old mirror in the storing room?” you asked.

“...Oh, that mirror. Yes, of course I know it. It was a present from your mother when we were still teenagers. Why?”

“Um, c-can... may I have it...?” you asked—pleaded.

“Of course, dear,” he smiled. “But isn’t it dirty and old? Why would you want it?”

“I-it’s... pretty. I love it.”

“Of course, just take it,” he ruffled you hair—again.

“Thanks, uncle!”

 

 

 

 

So here you are, in your room, in front of the mirror. You had brought the mirror to your room, and you’ve finished cleaning it. You stared at the mirror; confused on what to do with it.

Suddenly, there’s a knock on your door.

“Yes? Come in,” you said half shouting.

Your uncle showed up. “Me and your aunt is going out for dinner, wanna come along?”

“No thanks, uncle. Just... bring me some food?”

“Sure.” And then he left.

You closed the door and locked it. Finally, you can be alone. Just when you wanted to continue reading your novel, suddenly you heard your voice being called.

You ignored, thinking it was just your imagination.

But the same voice you heard just now, appeared again. That voice called your name, once.

“W-who... w-where are you...?” you asked, a bit frightened.

The voice said your name in a whisper. “I’m here,” the voice added.

“W-where...?” you asked again.

“Look at me, I’m in the mirror,” the voice said. With that, you snapped your head to look at the old mirror your mother gave to your uncle.

There, an image of a handsome, young man with raven black hair, was reflected. Your eyes widened. ‘No way! T-this is not... real.

“Who... who are you...?”

He smiled slightly. “The name’s Zitao, Huang Zitao. Just Tao is fine though,” he introduced himself.

“Just how the hell can you be inside a mirror!? What are you, a magician?!”

He smirked. “Maybe.”

“Hey! I’m serious here!” you shouted. “You—”

“Okay, okay, I am,” he said, clicking his tongue. “I am here... for you.”

You blushed slightly, “W-what?”

He smirked, again. He called your name and used his right hand to motion you to come closer. So you did, you walked to the mirror. Not satisfied, he motioned you to come closer. You came, your face just an inch or two away from his—from the mirror.

“I’m here to grant your wishes.”

 

 

 

The next day you woke up after hearing the alarm. It’s six in the morning, and you were going to take a quick shower. Just before you entered the bathroom inside your room, you looked at the mirror you just brought to your room yesterday. You remembered the guy you met at the mirror yesterday—‘Was I dreaming...? Would he really... no he wouldn’t.

You suddenly remembered, your classes start at seven thirty today, so you wouldn’t want to be late. Quickly, you showered. Finished changing, you ate breakfast—the usual, breads and milk. You greeted your uncle and aunt, and left the house. Your school is located not far from your house, so you could walk to school yourself. Not far from your school, you can already see your schoolmates (you wouldn’t want to call them friends). You keep walking on a slow pace, not wanting to go near them. They hated you presence, and you despised them, why come closer?

But suddenly, someone pushed you from behind, and you almost fell. She and her group walked in front of you, and turning back she said, “Don’t be on my way, you .”

You lowered your head, not wanting to reply back—you’d just end up being bullied more.

“Oh, you poor little girl, don’t cry,” one of her friend said full of sarcasm.

“Yeah, don’t cry, little girl. You do know you truly deserve that!” The one who pushed you smirked—you know her; her name was Kim Hyo Rin, your classmate, one of the most popular girl in your school. They laughed, they evilly laughed, and left you.

You shut up and pretend you didn’t hear them. Some of the students were looking at what just happened, and some of them—most of them—were laughing; at you, of course.

Every time you’re at school, you just kept your head down. At the hallways, at the class, and even at the cafeteria. You ate alone at the corner of the cafeteria, the novel Truth or Dare on your hand. After finishing your meal, you continued reading the novel until it was time to get back to class.

You were lonely, of course. All of your schoolmates have their own friends; they talked, gossips, and laughed together. ‘Wouldn’t it be fun if just I had a friend, even just one...

If just I had one, and we would laugh and talk and do everything together without worrying about anyone or anything else. And he or she would understand me, and be with me when o need them; and I promise I’ll do the same. If just...

 

 

 

You were writing some notes on your textbook when the bell suddenly rings; it was a reminder that the school has ended. Your face lightened up, even though no one would actually notice this. You just wanted to get out from the school as fast as you can, so you can continue reading your novel. After the teacher dismissed the class, you decided you’re not going home right now. You wanted to go to a small café near the park and read your novel there.

As you arrived there, you ordered a cold latte and a slice of cheesecake. While waiting for your order, you continued reading where you had last read. After five minutes, your order arrived. You ate your cheesecake; you really like the cakes here. You drank half of your latte, and continued to read. You drink your latte once in awhile.

After an hour, you’ve done with the novel. You called the waitress, and ordered four slice of tiramisu for takeaway. You paid, and left the café with your tiramisu.

Arriving at your house, you looked at your neighbor’s house; she was watering the plants with her younger daughter. You greeted them, and waved at them. Then you came in the house.

You quickly put the tiramisu in the refrigerator and went to your room.

Suddenly, that voice started appearing, again.

He whispered your name, again.

“What do you want from me, Tao?” you asked quite harshly to the mirror—to Tao.

“Wow, I didn’t expect you to remember my name,” he said with a made up shocked voice.

You stared at him. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“Whatever you would want to think. So, how’s school?” he asked—actually sounding like a mother asking her child on her first day of school.

“Like usual, everyone made fun of me, hurt me, ignored me,” you whispered, your voice obviously sounded hurt. “Like usual, it was lonely.”

“...” He stayed silent. “I’m sorry.”

“Nah, it wasn’t your fault anyway,” you said, smiling sadly. You walked closer to the mirror, and whispered to Tao, “Hey, Tao, could you actually... grant my wish?”

“Yes, of course I can,” he said as a matter of fact. “Just say what you want.”

“Could you... would you be my friend...?”

He was silent again. Then suddenly he smiled a warm smile, and chuckled. “Of course, you idiot,” he laughed a bit.

You noticed how cute he was when he was laughing and smiling like that. You blushed slightly, whispering a “thank you.” You smiled back and your eyes were wet; you had actually gotten your truly first friend.

“No. Thank you.”

 

 

 

Since then, your daily life had changed. Before you know it, you were starting to smile much more, and you’re always waiting for the bell to ring signing the school’s over. You just can’t wait to arrive home quickly, to talk with Tao again. He was your only friend in this world, and you were truly feeling happiness with him.

You didn’t want these kind of days to past. You wanted it to stay like this, forever. You enjoyed your stay with him, and you could talk with him all day. You were still ignored by your schoolmates, but now they didn’t bully you as much as before—because you had wished that to Tao.

One night, you and Tao are having the usual talk, when you suddenly said,

“Hey, Tao... could we stay like this, forever...?”

He just kept silent aster you asked that question.

After a moment he finally said, “I would love to.”

You stared at him in disbelieve—he said it like, one day, he would disappear; leaving you all alone again. You didn’t want it. You would never want it.

You also just keep silent. “You... you’re not gonna leave me alone... again, right...?”

But until now, you never had gotten the answer.

 

 

 

“Hey, Tao,” you started, calling the self-proclaimed magician.

It was another Sunday, your free day. You were writing your essay for the biology class when you suddenly got bored. You wanted to talk to him—now.

His image suddenly appeared from the mirror. “Yes, my dear?” he asked with a slight smirk.

 “Don’t start flirting with a human that doesn’t belong to your world, you self-proclaimed magician,” you said and rolled your eyes with a small smile. “Tao... I have a wish. Could you grant it for me...?”

“Anything, Princess,” he said, smiling and bowing like a prince charming.

You rolled your eyes, again. “I want to... I want to fix my relationship with my aunt... I want to know the truth of why all of these time she had been really harsh on me. I don’t want her to hate me...”

He smiled, a real smile, not the teasing one you often get from him or a smirk.

“All done, Princess. You just need to wait.”

 

 

 

The night, the exact night the day you asked Tao to grant your wish to see your mother, your uncle asked you to go have dinner with him and your aunt. You wanted to decline it so you could talk more with Tao, but Tao hushed you away to go have a dinner with your family. Well, if you think of it, it’s been a while since you and your uncle and your aunt had dinner... together. Since your aunt hates you and stuffs.

You guys decided to eat at a small Italian restaurant in the mall. Your uncle ordered a medium size pizza and you ordered your all time favorite lasagna. You were chatting with your uncle when your aunt suddenly called your name.

You looked to her. “Yes, auntie...?”

“I’m... sorry,” she started. “I’m sorry for all of these time I had been really, really harsh and cruel on you. I never knew how you were treated in school—how your ‘friends’ ignored you and left you all alone. I’m sorry. I thought you were just like your mother; because after your father died, she had been really hard on me. All of this time, I had been throwing all of my madness of her to you. You didn’t deserve that, I am really, really sorry...”

“Auntie,” you started, smiling brightly when you heard her confession, even though you were actually holding back your tears. “It’s alright. I’m sorry. I never knew how my mother was treating you, I never did. I’m just happy to know that you didn’t actually... hate me.”

She smiled back, and she moved to sit beside you. She hugged you, tightly, and she was crying silently. Well, you guys wouldn’t want to be the center of attention in the crowds of the restaurant.

After that, you all started eating your dinner. Finished, your uncle asked for the bill and paid. You all then left to come back to home.

It was already nine o’clock when you arrived. Good news there’s no school tomorrow, since there’s a big meeting of school branches that spread all over Asia.

You head to your room and the first thing you did was changing your clothes. You use the new pajamas you had bought not so long ago. Then, you called him. You wanted to thank him for granting you wish once again.

“Tao,” you called.

But, there were no answer.

“Tao...?” you called back again. You took the mirror and shook it. “O-oi! Hey, Tao! I’m serious! Where the hell are you!? Come out!!”

You looked through the mirror. You can see your own reflection—but not his. He won’t come out.

Tao, you idiot...you... how dare you leave me all alone like this, again!? I wanted to thank you, and you... you... you just disappear like that! You were my one and only friend...why... how dare you...

“How dare you... Tao... you idiot.”

 

 

 

 

Years have passed, and you had graduated from high school, and today was your graduation day from collage. You’d never imagine that this day would actually come... without Tao actually granting your wish. All of these years, you had always remembered him. You brought the mirror with you when you had to move to Seoul to study.

You were standing in the crowd, when suddenly you feel a hand wrapped you into a hug from behind.

“Kris!” you yelped, half pushing him away. He grinned. “Congratulations on your graduation,” he release the hug and patted your head. You smiled, “Thanks, Kris...”

Kris was your upperclassmen, just a year above you. He graduated just a year before, and he was here now to visit you and some of your friends. Since graduating high school, you still didn’t have friends, until one day Kris greeted you on the collage’s park.

“So where’s your boyfr—”

“Whoever you are talking about, this guy is definitely not my boyfriend,” you stated, cutting off his sentence.

“Alright, alright. So where’s Kai?”

“He’s... I dunno. I haven’t seen him at all today,” you replied. Suddenly, you heard someone shouted your name. You and Kris turned to the voice who called you.

The figure who called you finally showed up, panting.

“Why, hello, dear Kai. Where have you been, exactly?” you asked, a small teasing smile printed on your face.

“Hey, I’ve been searching for you all around!” he said, still panting. You just grinned and laughed a bit.

Kim Jong-in, or mostly known as Kai, was your best friend through collage. He was your partner on every project, and actually your one and only friend besides Kris.

“So, again, congratulations on graduating,” Kris said it again, but it was for Kai this time.

Kai grinned, “Thanks, Kris!”

After having a small chat with Kris and Kai, you and Kai were called to the auditorium to be handed the medal and certificate. When your name was called, you walked in front proudly. Your principal wore the medal on your neck and your teacher handed you the certificate. After some students after you, it was Kai’s turn. He walked up to the front with his usual badass face and smirked. When he walked up, he looked at you and winked, and you just rolled your eyes.

After all students were given their certificates and medals, you were all finally officially graduated. Coming out from the auditorium, there you saw your uncle and your aunt standing there—and your aunt was standing there with a... a baby?!

You ran to your uncle and aunt and hugged them. Not so tightly, since there your aunt was holding a baby.

“Auntie... is this...”

“This is out son,” your uncle said, grinning. “Oh, and congratulations, dear.” He ruffled your hair, like the usual.

“...Wow. Congrats, auntie! And thanks, uncle!” you said excitedly. “And thank you both for coming here, on my graduation day!”

“Of course we came, you idiot,” your aunt said. “You’re part of our family, of course we have to come!”

Your eyes began to wet. “Thank you... thanks, a lot.” You hugged them again.

 

 

 

You arrived at your apartment at nine o’clock. Your uncle decided that they had to celebrate it, and Kris and Kai was actually invited. You had a fun time with them. You lay on your bed, tired. You fell asleep not long after that.

That night, you dreamed. It’s been years since you’ve had a dream when you were sleeping. And you dreamed about him—the one who made you feel happiness—you dreamed about Tao. Your beloved magician from inside the mirror; Huang Zitao.

You woke up after having that dream. It was a flashback of all you had with Tao. When you looked at the clock, it was still three in the morning. A freakin’ three.

Beside your bed, stood that mirror—the mirror your mother gifted. The mirror where Tao appears. The mirror that changed your everything. You stared at it, suddenly feeling the emptiness of your heart.

You missed him.

You missed Huang Zitao.

And suddenly, you could hear his voice, calling your name with his smooth voice.

“Hey.” He smiled through the mirror.

Your eyes went wide. Tears started to wet your eyes. You tried really hard to not cry.

“Don’t ‘hey’ me, you idiot!” you shouted. “Where the hell have you been all of these time?! Why... why did you left so quickly! I haven’t even said thank you! Don’t you know how lonely I am without you?! I didn’t even got a chance to say goodbye!” You hit the mirror lightly.

He smiled sadly. “Then say it, now.”

“What... what...?!”

“I’m here, again, in front of you, to say it. To bid farewell. You do know I can’t stay with you forever. Even though I would love to,” he said, whispering. He sounded so sad. “I fell in love with you, you know? And I’m not allowed to have those kind of feelings. It’s forbidden.

“But... why...?”

Beyond the mirror is a world where everything is the opposite. We are destinied to match in reverse, to never meet.

“So... this is goodbye,” he said.

“Wait... wait...! Don’t go!!” you said, your palm trying to reach for his hand through the mirror.

What surprised you, his hands actually touched you. He wrapped his hands against yours; it felt so warm.

“Sorry, Princess.” ‘How dare you still flirt with me in times like this...’ “I must say goodbye.”

“D-don’t... don’t say it...,” your tears are falling—you can’t held it back anymore.

“All of these time, I’m only giving you back what have you gave me, Princess. Don’t worry, I won’t ever forget you. Your smile, your laugh, even your tears, I will remember it to death; I’ll never forget you. So please, don’t forget me either, okay...?”

“Please, don’t cry...” / “Please, don’t leave...”

You can see through your tears; he’s image is fading away slowly through the glass. The warmth of his hand fading.

“Tao, please... one more wish...”

Whatever you want, Princess...

Call my name...

Your name left his lips with a voice you began to love so much. It’s just a whisper, but you’ll remember it forever.

“...goodbye, Tao. Thank you—for everything. Take care,” you smiled while tears fell down your cheeks. “I love you.”


 

I wish we could have stayed together forever. 
Even without magic, I want to be by your side. 
So please, come to see me once more. 
I will polish this old mirror and be waiting for you always. 
No matter how much time passes, I will keep on 
waiting for you.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Sorry if there's any typos. I didn't have time to check it; since I'm currently in a hurry.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT10/10/13: I've added the lyrics of this song in the end (the song which inspired me; credits to Hitoshizuku-P), but since I am still too lazy to open Photoshop so no poster and because of the same reason I haven't reread it again and find mistakes. Please comment if you find one :')