Countdown

White Day

"Thank you and please come again!" 

I say as I watch the last customers leave. 

Waaaahh- It's White Day.

It's that time of year again where guys do something sweet to their special someone. Guys usually give girls candies or chocolates. But for some reasons, guys these days are being romantic. 

They take their girlfriends somewhere nice like the Han river or some cafe like mine. 

Just thinking about it makes my heart flutter and me head go light. 

 

"I'll be heading home now!" my last baker excuses herself.

 

"Okay, thanks for the good work today!" 

 

I walk her to the door and see that someone was waiting for her outside. Her boyfriend. They greet each other and walk hand in hand along the streets. I smile at them. How sweet.

 I close the door and turn over the door sign to 'close'. I take a look around and see that I have a lot of work to do before going home. 

I start placing all the chairs upside down on top of the tables. I sweep and mop the floor until it's spotless. 

Ha. What a great way to celebrate your White Day, huh?

I don't mind. 

I have finished half of the cleaning when I hear the door opens. 

 

"Hey."

I turn and see him standing by the door. I smile.

 

"Hey back."

 

Jongin walks up to me and takes the mop from my hands and puts it aside. He stands in front of me and kisses me. 

 

"Sorry, I'm late." He runs his fingers on my cheek, I can feel my cheeks turning red.

 

"You should be." I pout.

 

He laughs. That laugh. 

 

"Did you get the flowers I sent you?" Jongin asks.

 

I shake my head, "What flowers?" 

 

Jongin grins and runs out of the cafe. He comes back with a bouquet of white roses. Jongin holds it out to me and winks. "I believe this is yours." I take it from him and notice that the roses are not real. It's chocolate. 

 

"It's beautiful." I say. carrying the bouquet like a baby. 

 

"You're beautiful."

 

I laugh at Kai's comment. "Shut up, Kai."

 

Jongin crosses his arms, he hates it when I call him by his stage name. He wants me to call him by his real name because it makes him feel comfortable. 

 

"What did you just say?"  he asks, with an alarming tone. 

 

"Kai."

 

Jongin takes a deep breath. He crouches and scoops me up in his arm. He starts walking to the kitchen door an puts me down on one of the counters.

 

"I meant Jongin," I smile at him. "Oppa."

 

Jongin releases the tension in his face and start laughing, "that's right." 

 

He sits next to me on the counter and pulls something out from his pocket. A candy. He shows it to me and asks,

 

"Do you still remember this?"

 

I nod. 

 

"We were in 3rd grade." he starts to reminisce, "We never met but somehow you got to know me."

 

I start to laugh as I remember the first time seeing Jong in. I was walking back to the classroom when I saw him playing with some of my classmates.

 

"And then on Valentine's Day, when everyone was going home you run up to me and hand me a small box filled with bite size chocolates." he uses his fingers to show how small the chocolates were.

 

I giggle, "I have a feeling you didn't eat it." 

 

Jongin nods blankly. He chuckles, playing with the candy wrapper. "I actually gave it to my mom."

 

"How cruel of you," I push him gently. 

 

"Well, I didn't know you by then." Jongin explains. "I did get to know you when one of your classmates show me your picture. I still have it."

 

He pulls out his wallet and shows me a picture of my 3rd grade self, smiling like an idiot. I cover my face from embarrassment. "I look hideous," 

 

Jongin disagrees, "You're so cute here. That time, I keep on looking for you to thank you but I can't seem to get you alone. It's either you were with your friend or you already gone home."

 

I lean on his shoulder and take the candy from his hands, "And on White Day, you came to my house and left a white rose by the door." 

 

It was really surprising and sweet at the same time. I didn't expect he would do something like that. For all I know by that time, he was only forced to take my chocolates.

 

Jongin nods, "Yeah...I was a bit shy then...until now.."

 

I look up at him and see him staring at me, he takes the candy back and opens it. "Then by the last hour of that day, I called you-"

 

"To open my window. Yeah, you were also a bit cheesy for a third grader..." 

 

We laugh, he runs his hand through my hair and hums his favorite song. (Part Of My List-Neyo). "You opened the window and I climb up to your room." 

 

"We had our first real talk." I smile, entwining our fingers together. Jongin raises it to his lips and kisses each of my fingers. 

 

"I gave you a candy before I left." Jongin lets go and puts the candy on my palm. "And I say that we'll be friends, if you want."

 

"And we did become friends," I pop the candy on my mouth and feel the sweet taste of it on my mouth. 

 

Jongin grins, "But on our freshmen year, I started to feel something...and on Valentine's Day, you gave me the same gift you always do. Bite size chocolates." 

 

I laugh, "Actually, I was planning on making the chocolates bigger every year but it seems that I can't get pass the bite size." 

 

He points at the bouquet of white chocolate roses, "You're not even at that level yet."

 

I pout, "I'm getting there."

 

Jongin kisses my cheek. I look at him, flustered. Even though we have been in a relationship for a long time, I still get surprised by his small yet with big impact gestures. 

 

"You supported me when I decided to become a trainee, and I'm thankful for that." Jongin places his hand on his chest where his heart would be.

The candy in my mouth dissolves but still leaves a hint of taste. Jongin leans closer, "I love you."

 

I giggle, and a few seconds later he laughs with me. I pull him closer, "I love you too."

 

Jongin gets off the counter and stands in front of me, placing his arms on my sides giving us small space. "And just like the past few years. I'm with you at the very last minutes of White Day, confessing over and over."

 

"And here I am, always saying yes to you." 

 

He leans in and this time kisses me on the lips. A slow and sweet kiss. 

 

The clock strikes twelve and White Day is over.

But one couple doesn't seem to care.