So

LEDApple School Host Club

                He just wanted to rest his eyes for a bit, honestly. One second dark lids were draping over his eyes, and the next a pen was prodding into his back until he finally shuddered awake in his seat. With a small jump, some laughter sprung up from his classmates while the teacher sternly folded his arms, standing over Hyoseok’s desk with his usual demeaning expression.  Every time he was caught sleeping in class, the teachers and students had the same reaction. It was just a part of Hyoseok’s character at this point, so it wasn’t like he’d give it up right out of the blue. Rather, he lived in the moment and chuckled along with the others briefly before they hushed to the instructor’s scolding.

                “Not even ten minutes into the lesson and our Kim Hyoseok is gone.” A few girls from the front giggled, but Hyoseok didn’t mind them, he was too concentrated on trying to regain his senses to face the looming adult with his cheeky grin. Another part of his character was his incredible optimistic attitude. No matter how much trouble he got into, for what seemed like every day, he was always so bright about it that the class never felt awkward. Eventually it had become so normal and routine that even some teachers found they could laugh along with his witty comments and half-assed apologies.

                After a few seconds of recovery, the boy blinked and sat up straight in his desk, rubbing the side of his head he had been resting on while a smooth grin sprawled over his face. His lips parted to reveal a hint of his big white teeth, but quickly shied away into his excuse. “I was awake, just listening to the sweet sound of your voice, sir.” A few kids held in their laughs with smiles hidden behind their palms while the teacher fixed the glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose, otherwise showing no real favor for the kid’s remarks. “I can appreciate what you’re saying more, you know, if I can’t see you.” He flashed a wide, complacent grin before a thin, wooden rod struck him atop the head.

                Tapping the pointer on the kid’s hair, the instructor raised his voice after a sigh. “Maybe you’ll appreciate some work after class then as well.” After slowing his patting, he his heel and left back for the front of the room, the rest of the class audibly snickering when they were out of his sight. Hyoseok smoothed his hand over his ruffled hair, rubbing the spot that was a little sore from the tapping while he looked around the room. Some kids were staring at him while they chuckled or whispered to their friends, but most had already moved on to the lesson their teacher was now continuing. Keeping quiet himself while a friend behind laughed and whispered a few complaints for him, the boy picked up his pen and sat forward, copying down whatever was already on the board at the front. He didn’t quite understand or even care for what they meant, but again, he lived in the moment, and this moment he was to listen as a good student would.

                It’d been years since Hyoseok had first learned the trick to adapting to so many different people naturally. He liked to think he was a pretty sociable guy, maybe not as outgoing as others made him out to be, but definitely talkative and friendly. If he ever made acquaintances with someone he was the one to approach them first, of course until he entered high school. Now it seemed like he was the one who was mobbed by his estranged peers for club meetings, lunches, and every other sort of get together, most of which he didn’t find much reason to reject. So his days ended up being pretty easy going; he’d hang out with his friends when they wanted and make the atmosphere in their class more comfortable. Overall, Hyoseok was doing well in his first month, and he solemnly accepted it’d be this way for the rest of his years in high school.

                A final bell rang and everyone had already begun chattering away, some rushing to get their things to leave while a few remained in class with their friends. Hyoseok ended up in the latter category today, surrounded by three of his friends, all lazily gathering their books and bags while they remembered the earlier incident. “That makes fifteen.” A snide remark rang through Hyoseok’s ears with a nasally tone. One of the boy’s peers sat in front of him, turned around in his seat within their own little circle. “Were you this bad in middle school?”

                “Not really,” Hyoseok shrugged off the criticism with whatever pride he had left, immediately following up with his own simple punch line. “I was worse.” Two of his classmates laughed at the reveal, punching at the kid’s shoulder playfully, while another squeezed in their circle just shook his head with a tiny smile. Fingers smoothing over his desktop, the comical boy sighed in exasperation while the others stood up, rising only after they began to walk away.

                Heading toward the doorway, one turned back to pity him while the other two merely glanced back before disappearing in the doorframe. “See you tomorrow man!”

                “If I even survive that long!” Hyoseok stood in his seat, a hand cupped around his mouth as he shouted back, only to hear some faded chuckles among the commotion of the other students leaving around him. His fingers on the desk squeaked over the glossy surface as he brought his hand back to his side, grabbing his bag with the other and slinging it over his shoulder. He stared out at the door, dropping his smile at the coveted freedom before him when a dash of pink caught his eye. One of his classmates had hurried out like the others and Hyoseok tried to recall his name while he pulled out some books from his desk. Packing the materials away, the giggles of two girls a few seats away caught his ear, making him flinch out of his thoughts.

                He couldn’t quite catch the conversation altogether, but the bits about how weird yet cute a certain Kim Kwangyeon was with his bubblegum hair intrigued him. His classmate’s new hair was pretty obnoxious, enough so that nobody could have ignored it, but he didn’t think of it the way these girls did. Repeating the term “bubblegum hair” in his mind made him exhale a light laugh, and he quickly dissolved the thoughts with his passive interest as he left class for his long-awaited cleaning duties.

                As he carried himself up the stairs from the staff room, a bucket in each hand, he started imagining the condition of the room he’d have to clean since he hadn’t worked on that floor yet. Hyoseok had been to enough of these after school duties already to know what to expect. Most of the time he would have to dust a chalkboard in a classroom or wash trays in the school’s kitchen, but rarely had he done any sort of pencil pushing work. He always assumed this was probably because the teachers just didn’t trust the delinquents to touch their work, but it’s not that it was something he really preferred. Having already been accustomed to the more laborious work, he could always make up an estimate of how long each duty would take, which meant he was more confident in getting out pretty quickly unlike the others on duty who bemoaned the work.

                Stepping onto the top floor, the boy exhaled with a subtle noise in his breath, striding down the hall toward the last room on the left while mentally chanting a plea of good circumstances for when he entered. He passed several rooms he had been forced to spruce up earlier in the month, the sunlight peering through the windows gathering dust again into the hallway until he reached the closed doors of the unused room now before him. Sliding it open, he kept his eyes shut until he heard and felt the thump of the door hitting the frame, revealing today’s challenge to be a disaster upon first glance.

                The windows were murky, the sills covered in dust, the desks pushed into the back of the room and some even piled atop each other while only a few remained in a usable condition, and the floor was covered in dust, dirt, and some other indistinguishable crud. This was definitely going to be a tough day, he thought until his eyes drifted toward the elephant, or flamingo as was more fitting, in the room. His bubblegum classmate was standing in the middle of the clearing of the room, pushing his phone into his pocket as he looked back at Hyoseok, seemingly relieved. Hyoseok just assumed the other was expecting someone worse than him, and that made him feel a little more confident as he strode into the room, dumping the buckets onto the top of an empty desk and relaxing in the plastic chair while he could. Leaning one arm on the tabletop, he peered over the buckets at the boy who seemed to be staring off, lost in his own world. If the kid was a space cadet, then Hyoseok started to worry if he’d be here all night scrubbing the place down.

                Shrugging to himself, the complacent student called out to bring Kwangyeon back down to Earth. “You’re Kim Kwangyeon! You’re a hot topic lately you know.” He gleamed at the boy staring back at him, hoping for a positive response. Though, Hyoseok just ended up complimenting him more as he continued, “It’s true, your hair does suit you.”

                “Yeah, I lost a bet.” Kwangyeon responded with a low pitch Hyoseok didn’t expect from such a pretty face, especially one with a pink top.

                “Thought as much.” The outgoing boy shrugged while Kwangyeon pulled on a few of the strands growing from his head. Breaking their eye contact, the observant peer found a moment to really get a look at Kwangyeon. He was a little taller than Hyoseok with a body that seemed like he could do some tough work unlike most of the guys that came in the same days as him. Most interestingly though was how honest he seemed to be. Kwangyeon didn’t come in and pretend he was going to work, rather he actually looked ready to do his own, and he told Hyoseok about the bet that got him here when it wasn’t necessary. He’d heard a bit of gossip once or twice about the guy, but never really kept it in his thoughts. This was, after all, his first time even addressing the other in their month together in class, and so far he was making a good impression, to which Hyoseok felt the need to return with his own easy-going attitude. There was still that awkward atmosphere looming around the room and Hyoseok was never one to willingly allow the tension to sit in the air long.

                He opened his mouth to break the silence when the door slid open again, much more loud than when he had entered. The sound alone almost made Hyoseok jump in his seat, but the image of two goon-like kids, who didn’t even seem to be in the same year as Kwangyeon and him, was even more startling. They walked in grumbling, backs slumped and uniforms lazily undone as they pulled up some desks to form a circle near the window closest to the back, their unspoken leader Kyumin following after with a similar swagger, though mute. The others complained so loudly, but Kyumin was strangely quiet. Hyoseok knew enough about Kyumin from some gossip and tales of his friends experiencing some unfortunate run-ins with his posse, so he never bothered to meet the guy before, but seeing him now only feet away from him was intriguing. The rumors about his unmatched height weren’t wrong, and Hyoseok found himself gazing at the boy like he was the Empire State Building. If only he had a camera he thought, until he caught Kwangyeon across the room staring at the boy as well. It was brief, and after Kyumin sat down with his friends, the pink-haired boy grabbed one of the buckets sitting in front of Hyoseok, not even batting an eye at him before he walked out, the door sliding harshly behind him.

                Now Hyoseok was alone and could feel the tension only increase exponentially the longer he sat there amidst the chortling of the delinquents nearby, the clicks of their lighters hitting his ears like an alarm he couldn’t put on snooze.  Without much thought, he stood up and held up the bucket, facing the three with his trademark, cheesy grin. “So who wants to get some water with me?” The two lackeys turned mid-conversation to judge the boy, furrowing their brows to show a mix of annoyance and condescendence. Hyoseok’s eyes moved from one to the other while his smile disappeared and he quickly shook his hand in front of him in realization. “This isn’t a couple thing don’t worry, I won’t make a move on you,” They simply stared him down while he continued his tangent, “I’m more of a secret admirer kind of guy.”

                One of the students looked at the other before chuckling, obviously thinking little of the boy. He faced Hyoseok again and took another huff of his cigarette. “You serious? I’m not doin’ any of this stupid . If you wanna be the school’s then do it yourself.” He stared at Hyoseok until the boy sighed and lowered the bucket to his side, heading toward the door while uttering a “Don’t miss me too much!” before leaving down the hall. The two scoffed and moved on while Hyoseok maneuvered down the halls and up the stairs toward the bathrooms, filling his bucket and conveniently finding Kwangyeon again on his way back. Teasing and joking with his classmate on the way back, it only confirmed his thoughts of the kid and he became much peppier as they returned to the dirty room.

                Hyoseok waved back at the others, but they just ignored him, which he had no problem with since his only focus now was cleaning. Tossing their only rag Kwangyeon’s way, they split the duty and Hyoseok took the floor while the other took the old chalkboard. Grabbing one of the brooms, he immediately began sweeping all across the linoleum, even humming a recent favorite song of his and losing himself in his own world as the bristles pushed the dirt around under him. Before he knew it, there was a mound of collected dust, dirt, and other bits of trash at the side of the room and Kwangyeon had also finished on the board. Though Kwangyeon had definitely helped, he was a little too slow for Hyoseok’s liking and instead he asked for the rag himself and dismissed the other like he was his supervisor.

                “Oh, I’ll finish the floor, you can go if you want.” Nonchalantly, he squeezed the water out of the soaked rag and began pushing it across the floor. He heard a simple thanks from Kwangyeon, but didn’t pay him any mind, even as he left. Rather, he wordlessly pushed the water across the floor, rubbing the spots where some old paint and who knows what else was ingrained into the floor. All he cared about was finishing up the floor now and leaving as soon as he could. The other two would probably head out when Kyumin got back, and he didn’t plan on staying much longer, especially since he assumed he’d just get in trouble soon and be back to finish the job anyway.

                Sitting up, he sighed from the pains developing in his back and neck, rubbing the nape and cracking the bone exhaustedly by rolling his head from side to side. With a sharp breath, he got up and stepped over the puddle to take off his coat and fold it over a chair. Rolling up the sleeves of his button up, he glanced up at the door when it slid open again and Kyumin entered with his usual quietly intimidating demeanor. That is, until he suddenly hollered as he slipped and fell on the wet floor. It wasn’t a hard fall, and Hyoseok would have warned him of the hazard if it wasn’t too little too late. Now, he was laughing uncontrollably at the scene of the notoriously giant Kyumin sprawled onto the floor, leaning onto the desk for support until one of his crew tried to help him up. The other student’s heel also skidded on the water, but he maintained his balance and soon found himself glaring at Hyoseok who quickly brought his hand to hide his widened smile.

                “Be careful…” Hyoseok called out between his giggles as the furious lackey trudged toward him, pushing the clown’s arm before he loomed over him with a menacing expression.

                “You think this is funny? Huh, you little ?”

                The jolly onlooker instantly shook his head, glancing back once at the rising Kyumin before returning his gaze to the one riled up. “It would be if I had said ‘Timber!’, but I missed the chance—“ His voice and laughter cut off when his furious peer grabbed ahold of his collar, fingers curled around the fabric like he wanted to rip it off and go straight for his jugular. His legs hit the chair behind him as the other pushed him down onto the desktop, tangling his body in an inescapable web that he was sure he was about to meet his demise under this fierce predator had it not been for the sudden giggle across the room. Both turning their heads toward the sound, the delinquent’s hand already raised into a fist, they froze up when realizing it was Kyumin laughing.

                Hands brushing off the dirt and water on his pants, he breathed out a few giggles until he finally addressed the others. “You always make jokes like that?” What was once an airy, delicate voice came out as a dorky assemblage of giggles and cracks in pitch as he regained his composure. Seeing the other smile so widely and hearing him laugh was so strange to Hyoseok, who only imagined him as the apathetic type until now. Caught staring at the tall boy, the lackey holding him against the desk shook him for an answer.

                “You gonna stay quiet like a or answer?” Hyoseok’s eyes darted back to the figure over him, but he wasn’t at all intimidated anymore. Rather, he was entirely too intrigued.

                “Yeah, I guess…” He wasn’t really sure how he was supposed to answer that would satisfy them, but kept it simple for the two who seemed ready to punch him at any second. Eventually, the one above him loosened his grip and looked back expectantly at his leader, who was lost in his own world. Kyumin was staring down Hyoseok silently, eyes scanning over his image before his lips curved up and he blinked. Without another word other than a final hum, he grabbed his bag and left the room.

                Hyoseok’s eyes followed Kyumin the entire time, until he was shoved into the desk when the boy left the room. The student holding him let him go, but not without forcing him further into the desk enough for Hyoseok to fall on the ground. Rubbing the back of his head after hitting the side too hard, he looked up at the other student now holding his jacket over the bucket of water. Before he knew it, the guy was crouched down, dunking Hyoseok’s uniform in the dirty water and tossing it onto the floor beside him for the more scornful kid to dig his shoe into. They both chuckled as they walked over it and followed their leader out, leaving Hyoseok in silence, his shirt messed up and a good bruise growing on his head.

                Most people would have scoffed or fought back, but no sound came out of the boy’s mouth. Rather, Hyoseok stood back up and moved the desks and chairs back into their positions diligently. He was here to clean, not start any stupid fights with stupid thugs, and at least he got a good laugh out of the situation. Wringing out the soaked jacket, he sat the dirty coat onto a nearby desk and grabbed his cloth again, scrubbing the water on his knees again until the room looked decent enough. He didn’t once curse the others for making him carry his coat between his arms instead of on his back, he didn’t even dwell on the unfortunate events of that day. Hyoseok just quickly returned home, did some work, and went to bed like usual. Only, before he slept, he made sure to ask around for a certain bubblegum’s number. He had so many connections through the first years he might as well put them to use.

•••••

                It was, needless to say, a good thing that Hyoseok had another uniform in stock, otherwise he might’ve just skipped that day. Though, the boy loved being around others and probably would have found a way to go anyway, even if it meant being completely . Perhaps that was an exaggeration, because there were definitely limits to what the class clown thought was entertaining, but it still held some truth. It was a little surprising that he was particularly quiet all day. He sat with his friends during lunch and even walked with them to the bathrooms during breaks, but he just listened in and occasionally nodded or shook his head. He had forgotten about the bullying he experienced the day before, but his mind was still stuck on that guy’s laugh and, more pressing, the stare he gave Hyoseok. He was so preoccupied with these memories, in fact, that he didn’t even sleep during any classes that day. It was rare for him to go a whole day without a power nap, but now class was over and his friends had gathered and begun departing once more. Half the posse he surrounded himself with had already left on their own, but one was still standing before him, waving his hand wildly in front of Hyoseok to catch his attention.

                “Hello?! Are you coming or not?”

                Hyoseok blinked and looked up, dumbfounded. “Where?”

                “To karaoke… we usually go on the weekends remember?” His peer looked down on the boy like he was acting strange, but the optimistic boy instantly flashed his wide grin and elusively dodged any suspicions.

                “I’ll have to pass, sorry.” He didn’t even bother with an explanation, since the guy easily accepted his rejection and skipped off to the rest of the group. He probably started gossiping about how strange their friend was acting that day, but to Hyoseok’s guess the conversation probably only lasted about ten seconds before derailing to ogling the girls in other classes. Hyoseok didn’t know them for years, so he didn’t expect them to bug him about his weird behavior and to ask incessant questions.

                However, it was a certain pink-haired peer that did surpass his expectations. Suddenly the boy was in front of him, bowing with his hands clapped together like he were asking for forgiveness. Instead, Kwangyeon begged for a favor, “Please take over for me today! I know it’s Friday, so this is probably too much to ask, but I—“

                “Alright.” He wasn’t even aware he agreed at the time, but readily accepted the favor like he had been expecting the question all day. He stared at Kwangyeon as the boy looked just as confused as he was, though Hyoseok quickly mustered up enough of an excuse to keep his classmate from feeling guilty. “Not like I have anything planned anyway, I had to do some work for sleeping earlier anyway.” It was pretty much a lie, but Hyoseok shrugged as he packed away his books and slung the bag over his shoulders, giving the other a playful smirk. “And, it means you owe me later.”

                For some reason Kwangyeon had brought in a bass with him today, which Hyoseok couldn’t help but glance at every few seconds as it bobbed behind his back with every movement the other made. He wondered if it had to do with the favor he asked, but disregarded it as Kwangyeon glowed with happiness. “No problem, just let me know what you want later… In fact, let me get your number now—“

                Hyoseok began heading out to receive his fake punishment, waving his hands at the other briefly while calling back, “I already got it from some friends, I’ll text you later.” Without any concern, he left the pleased boy toward the teachers’ room. Though, his mind was still on Kwangyeon, imagining any situation he could possibly need that guitar for. Rather, as he recalled, the boy played bass, so it must have been one of those on his back. Regardless, he felt Kwangyeon to be an increasingly interesting guy ever since he dyed his hair. Hyoseok spotted him a few times chatting with the class president no one, not even Hyoseok, socialized with, and now with this instrument incident, he really couldn’t say he had him figured out. Even more confusing than him, though, was the ringleader of the delinquents, who Hyoseok couldn’t help but wonder if he’d be here later as well.

                It was Friday afternoon and where most kids were rushing outside to sweet freedom, Hyoseok was trudging up stairs to an unused, miserably dusty room that was in dire need for some spring cleaning. The only difference today aside from the room was the fact he seemed to be the last to arrive, and the only one to bother with bringing a rag and bucket. There were a bunch of the usual punks surrounding a corner of the room, already getting out their cigarettes for a smoke, two of them the same ones from the previous day and now glaring back at Hyoseok as he entered the tense scene. Sitting his bag on a chair, he ignored the group’s whispering and surveyed the room’s condition. It was a lot better than the one from yesterday, but the windows seemed to need a lot of work. Without even batting an eye the group’s way, Hyoseok headed out with the bucket to get some water and air that wasn’t filled with the suffocating smell of burning nicotine.

                It was when he came back that the air was heaviest. The water splashing around in the bucket at his side seemed to be the only noise among the silence upon his entrance. Though, that silence didn’t last long when one of the boys sat up in his seat, pulling his feet off the desk they were propped up on and pointing at Hyoseok with his mouth hung wide open. “I know you! You’re the son of that comedian! God, what’s his name?” Trailing off, the others turned to face Hyoseok and, after getting a good look at him, also awed in realization.

                “It’s Kim Ahnwoo, right?”

                “No you it’s Eunwoo! You know, that guy that does that body gag…” One of them tried imitating the moves Hyoseok’s father used in his shows, but stopped shortly when the others gave him a look of disgust. Hyoseok finally gave them his attention, the bucket motionless at his side as they continued on.

                “I heard some celebrity’s kid was here, just thought it was an actor.”

                “Wasn’t he on the news recently? Somethin’ about getting’ married…” Hyoseok just stared at them all while the weight of the bucket numbed his fingers.

                The kid that had first pointed at Hyoseok leaned closer into the group after taking another huff from his cigarette. “I saw that a while back too, wasn’t she in college?”

                The student who had dunked Hyoseok’s coat in water the day before widened his eyes and laughed. “No way, that’s sick! Is she hot at least?”

                “Man, the only way that’d happen is if he was rich.” Another one chimed in while they all started to let out a few laughs. “There’s no way a gold digger would go after a comedian.” He took in a huff of his own cigarette before flicking it out the nearby window, blowing the smoke into the thinned air. Hyoseok felt like he couldn’t breathe, let alone say anything, but it wasn’t like he would have done anything in retaliation anyway.

                “I don’t remember how she looks, so she was probably plain.” The student who started the conversation tried to rack his brain for the image when the one who had almost punched Hyoseok the day before smirked to himself.

                “Might as well ask someone who knows, right?” Turning toward Hyoseok, the others all looked up at him expectantly as the delinquent called out across the room, hand cupped to his mouth. “So how ‘bout it? Is your new mom hot?” Breathing in the rest of his cigarette, he tossed it out the window and stood up after Hyoseok didn’t answer. Hands in his pockets, he strode over toward the boy while the others followed behind, laughter bouncing off each other. “What? She’s not your real mom right? So then there’s no problem…” He briefly looked back at the others, Hyoseok’s fist tightening at his side. The usually optimistic student kept his focus on the scornful one, telling himself that he was only doing this to get a reaction out of him for yesterday. Though, the longer he stared into the other’s condescending eyes, the more he really wanted to punch that stupid smirk off his face.

                Still, the kid didn’t stop and leaned closer toward Hyoseok, returning his stare with his own relaxed gaze. “Or is she better than your real mom? No wonder your dad dumped her.” Hyoseok repeated to himself not to throw that punch, that he was only looking for a fight, but strained to control himself. Dropping his head slowly while some of them laughed and oohed, he stared at his fist and began to wonder whether it was really that he wanted to maintain control, or that he was too scared to fight back.

                Glancing back at his posse, he grinned and stood up straight. “Looks like I hit it on the—“ A giant splash quieted the laughter in an instant and shut up the bully as he gloated. Everyone was surprised, but as Hyoseok snapped up to see what happened, he was the most shocked of them all. Right next to him was Kyumin, holding an empty bucket over his own lackey’s head, now soaked to the bone in water. Quickly, Hyoseok raised the hand he had been holding the bucket with and curled the empty, numbed fingers in front of him, staring at Kyumin with an expression of awe after connecting the dots. Kyumin dumped the water on one of his own friends… for Hyoseok.

                After seconds of utter cluelessness and betrayal spread over his face, the dripping-wet pupil finally uttered his disbelief. “What the hell Kyumin?! What was that for?!” If it had been anyone else he would have surely already tackled him to the ground and forced him under a barrage of punches, but Kyumin loomed over him with such intimidation and power that he stood there at the other’s mercy.

                Kyumin on the other hand brought the bucket back down at his own side, sliding his other hand into his pocket with a laid-back poise. “You were talking too much, it was annoying.” Blinking once, he gave a cheeky smirk and cocked his head to the side only slightly enough to leave the others frozen. “Thought your throat might have been too dry.” Hyoseok remained unmoved as well, but he couldn’t help but let a giggle slide through his suppressed laugh. Eyes darting at the shorter peer, Kyumin grinned visibly until he turned back to the confused and angered group of boys before them both. Glancing from one of his posse to the other, he raised one brow and swung the bucket next to his leg. “You didn’t like my joke?” Immediately, the few silent students behind their soaked friend nodded vigorously until Kyumin started to smile again, the quieted bully still seething under a coat of water. Instead of glaring at his trusted friend Kyumin, though, he focused all his rage onto Hyoseok with vicious eyes, which Hyoseok desperately avoided by staring a hole into Kyumin. When a slight groan escaped Kyumin, the massive boy examined his empty bucket and walked toward another desk, grabbing his bag from the seat that he must have put down before drowning his friend. Lazily, he looked back at the group, but only gave Hyoseok the time of day. “Need to get more water, right?” He held the bucket up and let it swing around in his hand while Hyoseok caught up with what he was implying. Hurriedly, Hyoseok grabbed his own bag, in precaution that the others would mess with it otherwise, and slung it over his back as he followed the ringleader out. Hyoseok was sure that as he closed the door behind them both that he heard a few disgruntled curses aimed at Kyumin, but quickly ignored it as he walked next to the tower of a boy.

                 Little was said between them as they moved through the halls and down the empty flights of stairs, even their feet quieting as they descended each floor. It wasn’t until they reached the first floor, where Kyumin dropped the bucket by the teachers’ room, that Hyoseok mustered enough curiosity to speak up. “You’re not getting any water?” He stared at Kyumin rather than the bucket, his eyebrow raised in slight confusion, but mostly a subtle entrancement.

                Kyumin on the other hand had a much less complex expression as he stood straight and headed for the exit with Hyoseok by his side. “I never really do that stuff, it’s not my problem. It’s always those guys getting me into trouble.” He pointed his thumb back in the direction they came from, which Hyoseok assumed was in reference to the guys he was just harassed by. After glancing back briefly in the direction, Kyumin’s eyes met with his own as he turned his head forward. The longer they kept that contact, until Kyumin broke away and resituated the bag slung over his shoulder, Hyoseok felt much more at ease. He didn’t feel that intimidation the others felt in the classroom earlier, leading him to wonder why he even hung out with those thugs if he was really so different.

                “Why do you hang out with them then?” He didn’t even realize he had vocalized his thoughts until Kyumin blinked and shrugged, pushing his hands into his pockets while avoiding Hyoseok’s curious gaze.

                “Well they…” It was evident how awkward it was for Kyumin to speak his mind around Hyoseok, who he had only just met yesterday. As they both left the school building, Kyumin tilted his head back and got a better glimpse at the bright sky before continuing. “They’re the only ones who don’t mind me.” Hyoseok was taken aback by the answer and couldn’t help but stare like he had replied with an actual incredulous answer. He fixed the strap on his own bag, finding it too tight across his shoulders while the other elaborated. “Most people are afraid of me… I’m not really sure why, but those guys like me for some reason. They talk to me and I like that, but…”

                “But?” Hyoseok was all too intrigued now.

                “But, I don’t really want to be friends with them, they’re too—“

                “Ugly?” Hyoseok interrupted, winning an unexpected laugh from Kyumin before it disappeared into a solemn smile stuck on his face, which Hyoseok couldn’t take his eyes away from.

                Smile parting to speak, Kyumin shook his head as they both ended up turning in the same direction home past the school gates, though neither noticed. “Cocky.” He sighed and groaned childishly, exasperated as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I try to avoid them, but I can’t help but feel so lonely without them.”

                Hyoseok expected to laugh at his confession, but instead felt a lingering guilt. He had Kyumin all wrong, he thought, everybody did. He definitely wasn’t some bully as far as Hyoseok could tell, he was just a victim of “guilty by association”, maybe even a little pathetic from what he could tell. Though, he had to admit that did begin to feel responsible, and he wasn’t sure whether it was this growing guilt or pure fascination that led him to ask, “Do you wanna hang out then?”

                Kyumin widened his eyes for a moment, stopping short in surprise while he ran the question through his head again. Hyoseok paused as well, a few steps ahead of him and blinking once while he asked again, “Well? Yes or no? I won’t cry if you say no if that’s what you’re betting on.”

                “Yeah! Sure…” Kyumin tried to hide how ecstatic he was, but the grin stretching from ear to ear over his face was much too loud. Hyoseok waited as he caught up, taking the lead as they headed for Hyoseok’s house a few blocks away.

•••••

                Throwing his bag onto the couch as they entered the calm house, Hyoseok sighed as it slipped off the cushion and fell to the floor, probably damaging whatever contents were inside. Luckily, Kyumin didn’t see the other’s failure at all as he took his time slipping his shoes off at the front before entering, gazing around at all the memorabilia and photos sitting on shelves along the walls. Sticking his head out into the hall the taller boy was lingering in, Hyoseok tried to be hospitable the best he could. “Want anything to drink? I can make some tea.” Kyumin snapped back at the boy and rushed over, his long limbs bringing him to his destination in what barely seemed like two seconds. He nodded before entering the next room, gazing at all the knick-knacks, books, and furniture crammed into the space while Hyoseok ushered off to the kitchen. After settling into an empty spot on the floor, Kyumin sat his bag down next to him and leaned back, taking up a large portion of the space just sprawling across the floor. It wasn’t long until Hyoseok came out carrying a tray with cups and a teapot clamoring around on top, setting it down onto a nearby table while he set out a bigger table in front of his guest. Hyoseok sat opposite Kyumin, deciding it best to face him and make the atmosphere a little more comfortable for them both.

                Pouring out the tea, the host took a few sips of his own cup, staring intensely at Kyumin while he sipped his own share hesitantly. Hyoseok certainly didn’t make the best tea, but at least the other wasn’t spitting it out on him. After too much tense silence had filled the room, Hyoseok finally leaned forward and, leaning against the table, nodded Kyumin’s way. “Usually my dad is here talking my ear off, but I guess we have the house to ourselves today.” Shrugging once with a nervous sigh, Hyoseok wondered why exactly he felt so strange all of a sudden. He was such a people person and cheery that he not once felt nervous around his classmates, especially those from the same year as him. Kyumin though, he was throwing Hyoseok completely off and it couldn’t help but bug him. It was an itch he was dying to scratch, and it seemed talking might have been the only possible solution at the time.

                His thoughts were soon interrupted when the boy’s guest sounded an “oh” and pointed sharply across the room. Hyoseok widened his eyes, trying to bring himself back to reality, before looking in the direction of the boy’s interest. He scanned the room briefly before finding the old separated drum set that had most likely caught Kyumin’s attention. Quickly, Hyoseok spun back around and gleamed, “Ah that, I actually used to play.”

                “Used to?” Kyumin’s soft voice cracked slightly in a pleasant surprise.

                “Yeah, I quit about a year ago. Didn’t really see a use in it anymore.” Taking another long sip of his tea, he swallowed and gently laid the cup back down, noticing how Kyumin was still watching the drums so intently. Slowly, Hyoseok tried to grab his attention again and proposed an idea, “Do you want to try?”

                Immediately, Kyumin shook his head and faced Hyoseok again, a small, complacent grin formed across his lips while he rimmed the cup with his finger once, staring at the contents inside. “I can only play the piano… but I like to sing.”

                “Like what, opera?” Hyoseok chimed in before Kyumin shrugged and looked back at the drums.

                “Not really, just whatever songs I like at the time.”

                Hyoseok mouthed an intrigued “oh” and slouched forward, grinning as he asked, “Can you sing a little bit?”

                Kyumin was flustered by the proposition, but the longer Hyoseok stared, the more inclined he became to sing a line or two. After clearing his throat once, and avoiding any possible eye contact with his host, the delinquent began eloquently reciting a few lines from one of his favorites. It was short, but incredibly mesmerizing to the smaller boy.

                As soon as he had finished, Hyoseok instantly expressed his awe, entranced by the boy’s unique voice. “Coldplay…right?” He’d mustered enough of his senses to voice his curiosity, though his question was very hushed from his numbing fascination.

                “Yeah…” Kyumin still refused to face him and stared at the cup in front of him instead. “Sorry…”

                “Sorry? It was great! Your voice is… soothing.” He had so many words he wanted to use just to describe his voice, but they all didn’t seem fitting enough. Still, Hyoseok felt it necessary to compliment the boy before he completely shamed himself for his talent. "Way better than mine anyway."

                It became very evident that the compliments worked, and soon the delinquent was slouching forward to hide his embarrassment. Sloppily, Kyumin chugged the rest of the tea down and pushed the cup away, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand to reveal a clean, glistening toothy smile. “I don’t do that stuff a lot though, I’m more into fashion.”

                Hyoseok almost choked on his own sip of tea, eyes widening in disbelief. “F-Fashion? Really?”

                Cocking his head slightly, Kyumin pouted subtly like he didn’t understand the other’s reaction. “Yeah, can’t you tell?” When Hyoseok didn’t reply but merely stared through the guest, Kyumin looked down over himself and patted his undone jacket, tugging at the open flaps. “It’s chic right?”

                “More like degenerate…” Mumbling, Kyumin’s cheeky smile turned into a frown before he pushed his hair back, hardly holding back a laugh at Hyoseok’s comment, but shortly erupting into laughter as Hyoseok’s own giggle echoed into the cup held at his lips.

                “Well what do you like that’s so much better then?”

                “Me?” Hyoseok paused, eyes laid on the taller boy for only a few seconds before he gazed at the cup sitting half full in front of him now. He racked his brain, but honestly couldn’t find anything to mention, instead dragging out a few interests he dabbled in. “I guess… golf? I don’t really do that anymore either though…” He leaned an elbow on the table and exhaled, “I’m not sure what I like a lot.”

                Kyumin didn’t say a word, he could most likely tell it was difficult for Hyoseok to come up with an answer, and instead tried to make another joke. “It seems to me you only like to hit things.” Instantly he won a smile from Hyoseok and a stern denial, raising a fist his way before Kyumin yelled out, “Don’t hit me Hyoseok!” They both laughed and smoothly moved on from the topic.

                Hyoseok chatted away with Kyumin for hours like they had known each other for years, not even realizing how long they’d been sitting there until Kyumin’s phone went off, detracting him from their conversation about horrible teachers and boring classes. It was a message from Kyumin’s gang, and though he would have rather skipped out on meeting with them, Hyoseok insisted it’d be best if he just left, especially after the incident from earlier. Reluctantly, Kyumin groaned and stood up, though not without bumping the table with his longer limbs and tipping Hyoseok’s cup over. The tea spilled all over the top to which Kyumin became frantic over, but Hyoseok merely waved his hands and got a rag from the kitchen, wiping it clean while vaguely chastising his guest. He couldn’t think badly of the guy now, he’d seen too clearly just how friendly and clever he really was, which unfortunately the rest of the school didn’t see.

                Suddenly Kyumin’s earlier confession resounded in Hyoseok’s mind and he slowed his rubbing, standing up to lead the other out as he had already gathered his belongings, but not before Hyoseok whipped out his phone and gleamed at Kyumin. “We can talk more if you want, what’s your number?”

                Kyumin looked taken aback again, leading Hyoseok to believe this was the first time someone else was the one asking for his number and not the other way around, but he swiftly nodded and reached into his pocket for his phone. Quietly, they both switched phones and added themselves into the other’s device, handing them back with a newfound sincerity that Hyoseok could recognize Kyumin greatly appreciated.

                With a short goodbye, Hyoseok shut the front door behind Kyumin and returned to the damp table, cleaning what remained in silence. The tea soaking up in the rag was reminiscent of scrubbing the classroom floors just yesterday, and with a snap Hyoseok remembered his favor for Kwangyeon. He didn’t actually fulfill it exactly, but he wasn’t going to let the kid know that just yet. Taking out his phone once again, he held the rag in a model-like pose, capturing the moment as if he were at school. It was late by now, but he was plenty sure that the pink-haired peer was still awake when he clicked send for the witty message he typed up with the photo: “All~~~~~done!! <3 Finished in an hourㅎㅎㅎ” Tucking away his phone, he cleaned up the rest of Kyumin’s and his mess while patiently awaiting a reply he knew would come. Sometimes he could read Kwangyeon just as well as anyone else he’d met, but he did have his mysterious moments. Of course, now compared to the delinquent-on-the-outside, light-hearted-on-the-inside friend he’d witnessed today, Kwangyeon was almost normal.

                That was when Hyoseok froze while washing the teacups. He thought of Kyumin as a friend, and the visage of his cheeky grin and the echo of his dorky laugh made Hyoseok very content with that decision.

•••••

                “This is another one of your jokes right?” Kwangyeon whispered as he leaned so close to Hyoseok in a corner of the room away from the other three so not a single sound of their conversation would be heard. There had to be some comedic reason for bringing Lee Kyumin, the notorious ringleader of the first year’s bullies, to their peaceful band practice. Maybe it was irony of some sort and Hyoseok was trying to get a good laugh out of him, but even so the joke flew right over his pink head.

                Hyoseok on the other hand took no hints in keeping this topic hush-hush and spoke normally, as if it weren’t a problem at all. “I told you about my friend right? I thought it’d be a good idea, just trust me.” Hyoseok patted Kwangyeon’s shoulder and with a cheeky grin he walked back next to Kyumin, who looked either anxious or bored. Kwangyeon bit his cheek, but slowly joined the others, glancing from Hanbyul who was still relatively passive about the situation and Youngjun who was now standing and heading Kyumin’s way. Guitar in front of his waist, the solemn class president continued strumming a few chords while the amp was off, staring straight into Kyumin’s face wordlessly. It was only after he finished a series of notes that he finally spoke up.

                “Kyumin… what do you play?” He gazed expectantly for an answer, only interested in his contribution to the band rather than his reputation around the school.

                Instead, Hyoseok glanced up at Kyumin and nudged him in the arm, facing Youngjun as he answered for the boy. “He’s a singer.”

                Immediately Hanbyul perked up from his distance away from the group, raising an eyebrow before he started to give Kyumin his own subtle stink eye. Kwangyeon had glanced over at his friend and understood the issues that would probably only further arise from this situation. Though, he did trust Hyoseok, and definitely owed him one for the other day, but now all he could do was wish that trust wasn’t misguided as he looked over the thuggish delinquent before them.

                “I play piano too…” Something about Kyumin’s softened voice made it seem like even he wasn’t sure if he belonged here, but Hyoseok’s insistence on creating a positive atmosphere seemed to assure him it was alright. The pink-haired student had to wonder just what their relationship was.

                A voice from the other side of the room brought them all back to attention, and Kwangyeon internally groaned as Hanbyul finally contributed his two cents. “Good, then you can be the pianist.” He tossed his magazine onto a nearby desk and strode over, hands in his pockets in a holier-than-thou manner.

                However, Hyoseok was still persistent and shook his head calmly, patting Kyumin’s shoulder enthusiastically. “No, he needs to sing. He’s got the voice.”

                “The vocalist slot is already filled.” Hanbyul briefly pointed at himself, leaning to one side and speaking to Hyoseok only while the others could only watch. Kwangyeon was surprised at how stern Hanbyul seemed to be, but he just scoffed at how difficult he was being. He understood his friend was just defensive or jealous, but he didn’t have to be so arrogant, especially when he dragged Kwangyeon into the debacle. “You said you needed me, right Kwangyeon?”

                “Not exactly in those words, but—“

                “Kwangyeon said he could join,” Hyoseok was still smiling, but there was an eerie strictness in his words. “You need a drummer, and I’m only joining if he sings.”

                Kwangyeon pursed his lips, trying to think of how to satisfy both of them, though not getting enough time to as Hanbyul incessantly questioned him, “Well, which is it?” Hyoseok also stared back at Kwangyeon in anticipation for his decision, though it only pressured the boy more.

                If he had to think about it any second longer, the bassist probably would have blown up on them all, but in seconds Youngjun had already switched his amp on and shredded a few loud chords to get their attention. Hanbyul shoved his hands over his ears, cringing at the sound while Kyumin nearly jumped from the power of it. Kwangyeon, though, simply blinked over his way right before he finished. Turning to switch the amp off after he had their focus, Youngjun faced the two fighting from a fair distance away, pointing his guitar’s head their way. “We’ll have two vocalists. You can harmonize right?” First, he pointed to Kyumin, who silently nodded once, then, to Hanbyul who, after glimpsing at the others for some sort of sign, hesitantly replied with a yes. Pulling his guitar back into place over his lap, the room went silent until he crouched down and turned the amp back on again. Standing straight, Kwangyeon was absolutely fascinated at his sudden charisma among the others, especially Hanbyul who was older than them and Hyoseok who was so sociable. It was when Youngjun stepped closer to them and fixated his pick over a tightened string on his instrument that Kwangyeon felt assured this was a good decision. “Good,” Youngjun calmly asserted. “Then we can start practice.”