In Your Eyes

Did You Imprint Me?

     Mara looked outside the bus’ window, avoiding the bright sun light that was coming from the other side. She sighed at the crowded street, filled with countless busy, raging people on their vehicles, demanding the green light to come out to quickly free them from this hot afternoon.

     But these people must have jobs, Mara thought. Why are they all out here, on the street?           

     A white truck honked loudly from behind the bus Mara was in, and she took a quick glance. The logo showed one of the most popular courier services in this country. Inside, the driver was bathed in sweat, looking aggravated.

    Silly me. They are working too.

     Half an hour was the estimated time to go back from her school to her house, but she had spent an hour on the street, barely reached halfway. A drop of sweat dripped from her face to her cream colored high school skirt.              

     I'm going to reach home on my first day of college on this condition. Oh, Seoul.

     The motorcycles that were swarming on both sides of the cars finally showed a sign of staying still. The countdown still gave fifty seconds of torture. Mara frowned, and stretched her neck out of boredom. A stray of light reflected from something beside her side of the bus blinded her eyes for a second, and turned out it was someone's white helmet. He was riding on a black, fancy, sport motorcycle, the huge type one. The person wearing it moved his head, straight to her direction. Only his eyes were seen, the rest of his face was covered by the helmet. The area covering his mouth was pasted with a South Korean flag sticker. They were staring at each other.

     Instead of looking away, they kept locking their sight at each other right in the eyes until the green light finally showed up.

 

-

 

     Mara was walking down the street, heading to her house. It was located on the very end of a small street, and required ten minutes of walking from the spot she got off from the bus stop. She eyed a newly-opened convenience store, two houses away from the main road. It wasn't really new though, it had been there for at least half a year. Even so, Mara had never visited it once. It was a regular house, but the center space was big enough to squeeze in a few shelves for display. The main entrance were changed by transparent glass doors.  The overall view was also not that different from the other houses on this street—solemn, vintage, and even on this very hot weather, it still looked breezy and quiet because of a big tree on the side of the building.

     Mara had never seen other employees other than two people - a bald, small, energetic man who seemed to never stop moving, whether to carry things or fix the stuff on display, and the cashier, a grumpy elderly man, who was always sitting without a word behind the counter, except when customers finished shopping. Mara took a glimpse, and today was no exception; the bald man was busy sweeping the fallen leaves on the entrance, and the elderly man was reading a newspaper with his glasses on. They were wearing dark purple polo shirt, with white embroideries of 'SHIN CONVENIENCE STORE’ on the chest area.

     The bald man noticed Mara examining him in front of the store, and gave a bright smile from across the street. Mara was a bit taken aback, but returned the smile, nodded and continued walking.

     Such a nice smile. He must be a kind person.

     She arrived home, and welcomed by her grandfather. Since her parents died when she was two years old, she had been living with her grandparents. She handed him a folder and he smiled in delight upon seeing the content.

     "All perfect score, except Math. You must be mad at that one question you couldn't answer." he chuckled.

     "That question hated me." Mara smiled.

     "My pretty girl, my smart pretty girl." her grandmother came out from the kitchen, removing her apron in a hurry and tiptoed to kiss Mara's cheeks. "Tsk, you're so tall - what did your teacher say about the potential colleges?"

     "My homeroom teacher I could basically get anywhere because of the scores..." Mara said slowly. "I can get through the special treatment. You don't have to worry."

     Her grandparents were all smiles, and there was no prettier moment ever seen in Mara's life. She was watching them with also a smile on her face, and diverted her sight to her parents' photo above the TV on their living room. She instantly felt melancholic.

     "But we have a bit of situation here, my dear Lee Mara..." her grandfather started.

     Turned out that Grandpa's youngest sister was very sick in Busan, and her grandparents planned to stay for two weeks there. Since Mara needed to register for college and all, they decided to let her stay.

     "...starting from?"

     "We're leaving in two days." her grandmother answered.

     "We're going to leave enough money for the registration. You might need Miyoung as your guardian—" Miyoung was their closest neighbor. "—we have told her about this all."

    Mara was staying silent, but finally she just nodded.

 

-

 

     Mara waved to the moving taxi, carrying her grandparents to the train station. Miyoung was also happily waving while caressing her very pregnant stomach. She was a 24-year-old young woman who was living with her husband, next door to Mara's.

     "Come inside your house, unni. Have you had breakfast?"

     "Don't be silly, pregnant women need to exercise in this bright morning." she started bending her hips lightly.

     Mara smiled. "Don't overdo it."

    "Hah. How can I, anyway - with this big hero inside of me." she patted her belly. "What are your plans for today?"

     "I'm going to school, and -" Mara tried to remember other things to do, but didn't find any. "That's it."

     Mara excused herself to go inside. Their houses were only separated by a short, one-meter high concrete wall, and they could comfortably chat beside it.

     After entrusting her house keys at Miyoung, Mara went to school to deal with some registration stuff, and just went back. She was walking from the main road, and looked at the convenience store again. Most of the time, she just usually ignored it and kept walking, but she was feeling curious this time. The bald man was happily accompanying a middle-aged woman who was shopping inside, and the old man was only staring into space - grumpily.

     Mara slowed down her pace, and turned to cross the street, to the convenience store. She was strangely nervous, to visit this place.

     Why am I like this? I'm just going to buy some snacks, and leave. Think of it as relieving the curiosity thirst I had of this place.

     She was walking very slowly, an excuse to look around the convenience store carefully. It was clean, comfortable. A small bench was placed for waiting customers on the terrace. Promo leaflets were stuck neatly on a small board beside the glass doors. However, a yellow, disheveled paper stood out between the colorful papers.

 

 

JOB VACANCY

 

Cashier and General Marketing Staff

 

Contact Mr. Han Yeolgi

Shin Convenience Store

 

     Mara frowned. The vacancy had no special requirements at all, and nobody took the job, looking at how this paper still stayed here? She instantly took this as an opportunity. Probably she could earn some extra money…

     She entered the convenience store, and looked around. The cashier was watching news from a small TV beside the cigarette counter behind him. Mara spotted the bald man still talking to the middle-aged woman, about which coffee brand was better. The other customers were a kindergartener and his mother, picking ice cream.

     So which one is Han Yeolgi? What if he was the cashier? Mara would rather wait for the bald man first.

     Mara awkwardly browsed for snacks and toiletries, waiting for the bald man. The middle-aged woman finally walked to the cashier counter, next to the kindergartener. Mara quickly approached the bald man near the beverages shelf.

     "Hello." he greeted with his big smile. "Can I help you?"

     "Um... Sir... Are you Mr. Han Yeolgi? I want to ask you about the job vacancy." Mara stuttered, and dropped a bag of snack she was holding. "Is it still available?"

     Mr. Han’s eyes widened and his smile got even bigger, and it almost made Mara laugh. She felt relieved that she didn’t need to ask the grumpy man. "Yes! Yes it is! Are you interested? Can we talk about this in my office?"

     "Sure, sure. I think I better pay for these first, for now." Mara hurried to the cashier, and her excitement suddenly dropped as soon as she saw the old man. His expression was very unpleasant, like he already didn't like her from the first sight.

     "Anything else?" he said in a scruffy, low-pitched voice. Mara shook her head, and he started scanning the barcodes. Mara had never wanted to escape so badly before. After three minutes that felt like three years, she came back to Mr. Han, and followed him to his office. It was a small crammed room full of papers and boxes, across the storage room on the right corner of the convenience store.

     "Please sit." Mr. Han cheerfully pulled a plastic chair out of nowhere. He sat behind his desk facing Mara. Mara put her bag and plastic bag on the floor, and paid full attention.

     After simple questions ("You live on the end of this street?" "Well actually I often see you walking back and forth..." "Which university are you planning to enter?" “My niece is attending the same high school as you, she’s your junior!”) finally the questions started to be job interview-ish.

     "What are your good qualities?"

     Mara opened for a bit, but then hesitated. Good qualities?

     "Well, I... I'm willing to work hard. I'm good in communicating with people. And, um..."

     Mr. Han looked at with twinkling, hopeful eyes. Mara took a deep breath, and continued.

     "In short, I will do anything here. Show me how to do my job, and I will not disappoint you."

     Mr. Han smiled. "You're in."

 

-

 

     Mara got out from the convenience store, feeling both ecstatic and confused. She was going to work full time from 10 to 10 starting the next day. She would handle general matters (cleaning, display, marketing, and others) together with Mr. Han until 3, then she'd replace Mr. Kim, the old man, as the cashier after he went home. Mara also told Mr. Han her condition that she might take some hours' leave for her college registration every few days, but he said he didn't care.

     They're desperate. Mara concluded as she took a last look of the store before going home.

     "What? Full-time work—no, 12 hours of working is overworking already—and your pay is only that much per week?" Miyoung was almost shouting when Mara claimed her keys as she reported her new job.

     "That's a lot for me, unni." Mara said blankly. "I need something to do on holiday anyway. Getting paid is like a bonus. And the workplace is only steps away from here!" Mara tried to argue.

     Miyoung sighs. “If something happens, call me. I’ll send Khun immediately.” Khun is Miyoung’s husband.

     Mara thanked her, and went home. Mr. Han told her to wear dark purple blouse temporarily until she got a uniform ("I believe I had prepared spare uniforms for new employees, but these might be buried under these boxes."). Her excitement grew fonder as the night fell.

 

-

 

     The first day of work was a bunch of lessons, with how to display things, how to operate the cash machine, introduction of the supplying companies, and how to organize the storage room. Mara was a fast learner, and Mr. Han felt satisfied with her work already. Mr. Kim, on the other side, only continued being himself, not even said a word to Mara. Him getting off from work at 3 PM was the most relieving thing happened that day for Mara.

     At 8 PM, the originally dull street started to be even quieter, and Mr. Han had not come out from his office since an hour ago. A motorcycle pulled over to the parking area, and Mara looked at its tires. They were huge. It was indeed a big motorcycle, with louder-than-normal sound. The person riding it wore a pair of fitted jeans and leather jacket.

     Looking flashy, Sir. Mara commented silently, unconsciously ogling his legs. The man walked in, and Mara looked at the upper part of him.

     White helmet, South Korean flag sticker.

     The man she had a staring contest with, a few days ago.

     Mara remembered clearly the flag sticker, but what made her affirmative were his eyes. He opened his helmet's visor first, and after a few seconds of observing the shelves, he took off his helmet. His eyes were bright, positive, and almost childish but his tightly closed lips made an impression that he was not a friendly person. His slightly long and straight hair was literally shining under the light of the room. Mara realized she couldn't take her eyes off him, and pretended to fold something on the counter's metal tray after mumbling a 'welcome' greeting. He looked at Mara for awhile.

     Does he remember me? He might think I didn't, since I only saw his eyes. Mara curled her toes unknowingly. Why am I like this?

     You're just flustered because he's good-looking, the sane part of Mara's brain corrected her. Mara nodded to herself invisibly and sat down behind the counter. The comfortable seating didn't last long as the man approached the cashier counter with a bag of candy... Soft, heart-shaped candy, not to mention the color was pink.

     "Is this all?"

     “That cigarette on the top right, please.” he points to the most expensive cigarette in this store.

     “Can I see your ID?”

     He looked at Mara, and somehow he seemed scary. “Are you a new employee?”

     “Yes.” her voice squeaked a bit.

     “You don’t need my ID. You can tell Mr. Han that I came to buy the usual today.”

     His voice sounded commanding and strict, and Mara felt her hand shaking as she took the cigarette. She scanned his things and he gave the money. Before Mara could give him his change, he grabbed the candy and cigarette, turned around and said “Keep the change.” He got out just like that. Mara stared at him until his motorcycle left, and Mr. Han came out from his office right after that.

     “Mr. Han, there was someone who refused to show his ID for ciga—“

     “The one who came with the big motorcycle? Oh right, just give him what he wanted, Mara I needed to go to the ATM for a bit, okay?” Mr. Han hurriedly dashed outside.

     Before Mara could respond, Mr. Han had disappeared from her sight. She wondered who the previous man was, but she needed to wait to find out.

 

-

 

                Mara already took a short leave from her job on the next day since she needed to go to her school for awhile. Mr. Han calmly said that it’d be okay as long as she could come at least at 3 PM.

                Luckily, she finished her business at 1, and she was waiting at the bus stop alone. Soon a few people also waited for the bus, and another person came. The person stood right beside her even though the roofed bus stop can fit ten more people. Mara didn’t really pay any attention, but then that person said “Are you Shin Convenience Store’s new employee?”

                 Mara turned my head, and saw him. It’s the man from yesterday night. He was wearing the neighboring school’s uniform, and he looked five years younger without his leather jacket and all.

                “Lee. Ma. Ra.” he read her name tag in a flat voice.

                “Kim. Jong. In.” Mara read his name tag in return. “Wait—you’re a high schooler, you shouldn’t have been allowed to buy the cigarettes!”

                “I can. Just tell Mr. Han. He told you to give me anything I want, right?” he smirked.

                Who is this boy, Mara frowned. The bus came and Mara swiftly got on, and sat in a double seated chair. Kim Jongin also got inside, and he purposely sat beside Mara, even though the bus was almost empty.

                “How can you leave like that? I haven’t even introduced myself. I’m Kim Jongin from Duksung High.” he offered a handshake.

                Mara hesitantly shook his hand. “I’m Lee Mara from Daedong High. Are you a senior too?”

                “Yeah, I am. Anyway, since you became a new employee in Shin, I think we would often meet.” he said.

                “What do you mean?”

                “Ah, no, since that day, I know that we would often meet.” Jongin clapped once. “Remember? When we looked at each other. You were in the bus, and I was on my bike.”

                What does he also mean by that, Mara got a bit uncomfortable. “Where’s your bike, by the way?”

                “I went to school, can’t you see this uniform? How can I take my bike?” he scoffed. “I thought you were pretty strict about rules.”

                Mara clenched her fists, and she really wanted to change her seat, but she needed to get through Jongin’s long legs first.

                “I hope we could see each other soon.” Jongin grinned, and he got off at a stop before where Mara was supposed to get off. Mara kept an eye on his back outside, and got surprised when he unexpectedly turned around, and smiled to her. Mara quickly looked away, and the bus moved on.

                Mara arrived at the store, and Mr. Han happily presented her with the purple uniform.

                “Thank you so much, Sir.” Mara smiled. “The man from yesterday, may I know who he is?”

                “Hm, let’s say he’s a special customer, just let him have whatever he wants.” Mr. Han said.

                Mara got out from Mr. Han’s office with unsatisfied feeling. Kim Jongin. Who might he be? Mara changed into her uniform now, and she noticed Mr. Kim reading a newspaper behind the counter. There was still an hour left until the time he got off work, so Mara avoided him by occupying herself with the display. I wonder why he’s still working in that age.

                The night fell, and Mr. Han came out from his office in traveling attire. “Mara, I’m going to go home for awhile, my son has a fever. I’ll come back before we close, okay?”

                “Oh? I hope your son is okay!”

                Mara looked worriedly at Mr. Han’s back outside. She continued listing a product data since the store was fairly empty.

                At 8 PM, Mara looked outside.

                He came during this time yesterday.

                Mara realized what she was thinking about, and scolded herself silently.

                Why am I thinking about him now?

                8.30. 9.00. 9.30. He didn’t come.

                And he confidently said that we would often meet, Mara thought.

                Mara felt awkward at her own thoughts.

                Why am I feeling like I’m waiting for him tonight?

                Mara shook her head repeatedly, and tried to continue whatever she could do to fill her time. The store was currently empty. Mara looked outside and spotted two sturdy-looking guys coming from the empty street towards this store. Somehow Mara got an ill feeling about them.

                They entered the store, and Mara half-yelled “Welcome.” to relieve her own mood. The men scanned the store, and then one of them went outside and guarded the glass door. Mara frowned and noticed the other guy who was inside turned to the cashier counter, and smiled suspiciously.

                “Good night, young lady. Let’s make this fast and peaceful. Clean out your profits from today, out of that cash machine.” he pulled out an abnormally sized knife, too long to be a regular knife, but too short to be another else. The light from the store reflected on the edge, confirming the sharpness. Mara swallowed, and she could feel her heartbeats on .

                “I’m sorry, I can’t.”

                The robber laughed darkly. “Miss, don’t make it hard for all of us. Take out the money, and we’ll leave immediately. It’s that simple.”

                What should I do? I can’t give up the money. I can’t.

                From the side of her eyes, Mara saw someone running in a flash across the parking area, and basically high-kicked on the man in front of the glass door. It’s Kim Jongin.

                Mara noticed the man in front of her got distracted. She snatched the knife from him and jumped from behind the counter, and kicked him with all her might. The man hit the ice cream freezer across the cashier counter, and he held his back in pain. Mara approached him, holding up the knife tightly. The man looked up at her in horror, and Mara gave him an additional kick across his face. “Get out.”

                The man practically crawled outside, and soon Jongin came running inside the store. He also successfully chased away the other man.

                “Damn, Lee Mara. That was badass.” he grins between his heavy breathing.

                Mara was panting, and her heart didn’t seem to calm down. She dropped the knife, and held onto a shelf to prevent her from shaking too much. Her legs felt unsteady. Soon, she started to cry.

                “Oh God—what just happened—that man—the knife—money—“ tears stream down her face, and her body was trembling so much.

                Jongin carefully approached her, kicked the knife near her feet away, and hugged her tightly. “Sssh. It’s okay. They’re gone. Don’t be afraid.”

                Mara now held onto Jongin firmly, and she cried even harder. Jongin patted her head continuously.

                “It’s okay. I’m here.”