Royal Ball

Cinderella
Jessica, Suzy, and Eunji stepped out from their rooms and stood by the doorway, admiring each others' dresses. They were filled with such excitement that they couldn't help but squeal at the thought of affluent knights and nobles all gathered in one place. The ladies put on their laced gloves and donned their jackets. One of the royal carriages would come by and take them to the palace. It was a half hour to seven, and about time for their ride to arrive.
 
In the solitude of her room, Ailee couldn't stand the presence of her ecstatic stepfamily. How she wished to go along with them to the welcoming ball. Her blessed and cursed obedience chained her to the house, and she knew better than to defy the queen of the household. Unlike the others, she wanted to attend the ball to enjoy herself, not to flaunt herself in the midst of eligible bachelors. Although she had to admit, finding a suitable husband would require her leave Jessica and join his household. Other than that, she had no interest in finding a man.
 
Since she would be alone for the remainder of the evening, and probably for a good portion of the night, Ailee decided that she would do something around the house. The floors were already swept, and she had washed them already. No soiled clothes were strewn about the house, and the rooms were tidy. It seemed there was nothing left to do but to wash the several dishes they had used. So, Ailee put them in water and washed them slowly, so as to keep the job going for a while.
 
Once again, Ailee's mind replayed happy visions of the past. She recalled how her father would hug her and kiss her good night. It seemed so long since she had felt love in any form. Then she swore she could smell her father's pipe as he walked to and fro, wondering what present to give for her birthday. Tears began to flow as Ailee longed for days long gone. Then her dear friend came to mind. Guardian had once promised that he would protect her always, yet he was nowhere to be found. The two hadn't met since that day years ago when Ailee found that heartbreaking letter. If he was still around, Ailee was sure he would be her greatest comfort.
 
A quick rap on the door broke Ailee's trance and she wiped her eyes on a towel before heading quickly to the door. She didn't know why, but she expected this visitor to stop by sometime that night.
 
"Tiffany," Ailee frowned, "I know what you are thinking."
 
"Hello, Ailee," Tiffany smiled as she held up a bag, "I know your answer, and I beg you to reconsider."
 
"What is in that bag?"
 
"Your dress."
 
"Tiffany, I have told you. I cannot attend the ball."
 
"Hogwash. You are coming with me. We can still make it to the prince's arrival if we hurry."
 
"No," Ailee shook her head. "I have told you--"
 
"Do shut up," Tiffany laughed, "and go put these on," she handed the bag to Ailee.
 
Ailee sighed in defeat and took the bag to her room. She wouldn't attend the ball...she couldn't...Jessica would never let her...no matter the situa--
 
"Wow," Ailee gasped as she took out the dress. It was plain white, but beautifully laced about the shoulders and even pearled in a rose shape on the back. Never had she seen such a beautiful gown, much less put one on. Her defenses crumbled as she held up the garment in front of the mirror to see herself in it. Tiffany's mother did a marvelous job.
 
The maiden unclothed herself and put on the dress, though she didn't think she would ever step out of the house in it. The gown fit her figure beautifully. Ailee then looked into the bag again and found an adorning scarf to hang over her shoulders. It was similar to the dress in  color, but was more lattice. She suspended it on her shoulders and could not believe that could look so beautiful. There was one last thing in the bag, and she put those on as well. A pair of high heels that complimented the entire attire.
 
When Ailee came out of her room, still very much in a daze, Tiffany squealed in excitement. Tiffany hugged her tightly and suggested that they start going immediately.
 
"Tiffany," Ailee sighed, "I cannot go."
 
"Why not?" Tiffany complained. "What is there to stop you?"
 
"What if Jessica recognizes me?"
 
When Tiffany was silent for a moment, Ailee turned around to put the dress back. That is, until Tiffany grabbed her arm.
 
"We will stop by my house," Tiffany smiled. "I have something else for you."
 
Ailee was forced to put on her coat as her friend took her hand and dragged her across the streets. Although she would protest occasionally, Ailee did not let it be known that she did want to keep going. No one else would have taken her so stubbornly, and with such enthusiasm. Tiffany was her only friend.
 
Somewhere along the rows of houses, Tiffany stopped and went inside, Ailee following after. She went into one of the rooms and came out with a mask. Its beauty matched the rest of Ailee's clothes. The mask was in the shape of two angel's wings, and would cover her eyes and her cheeks. When she put them on, even Tiffany could barely recognize her. Once again, Tiffany came through for her, and they hurried over to the ball.
At the palace, everyone was still waiting for the prince to arrive. It seemed that he was running late. The guests talked amongst themselves to pass the time. Ailee and Tiffany made sure to keep a distance from Jessica and her girls. So far, it was going fine, since the three wenches were busy cahoodling with the handsome knights.
 
Since her arrival, Ailee had been attracting much attention with her unmatched beauty. Various nobles approached her and complimented her taste. She would only nod and thank them before turning to hide by Tiffany's side. Off in the distance, Jessica and her daughters sneered at her popularity, not even knowing who she was.
 
A band of trumpeters blew their instruments and demanded everyone's attention. Outside the doors, a carriage stopped, then someone stepped out and waved to his driver. When the doors opened, a handsome young man came in smiling. The guests all hurled cheers at the return of the prince. A spark of recognition lit inside of Ailee, but she ignored it.
 
Prince Joonmyun made his way through the crowd of guests to his mother and father. The king and queen were very delighted to have their son back, who had been gone for years studying in the different surrounding countries of Europe. The Royal Family hugged each other as they had not been able to do for many years. Prince Joonmyun turned back to the crowd and announced the ball officially commenced.
 
The royal orchestra played their lively notes as the people faced each other to dance. Tiffany was asked by the handsome son of a noble and she couldn't refuse. Ailee, however, stood by the table and did not take any offers. She was nervous, and thought that if she went out to dance, she would happen upon her stepfamily, which would not end well. So she refused every offer to dance, and watched instead.
 
The prince came down from beside his parents at one point and joined the dancing. All of the attending girls swooned at the handsome prince, and hoped for their chance to dance with him. Around and around he went, changing his partner often. Even Ailee found herself staring at the prince's perfect smile when he popped out from the crowd.
 
"That dress is very stunning," a familiar voice beside Ailee commented. That voice caused her to freeze from fear.
 
"Thank you," Ailee smiled.
 
"My name is Jessica, and I am here with my daughters."
 
"Nice to meet you. My name is..." Ailee panicked for a moment, "Yejin."
 
"A beautiful name to go with such a wondrous dress," Jessica chuckled.
 
"Thank you."
 
"Are you here by yourself, Yejin?"
 
"I am here with my...cousin."
 
"Do I happen to know this cousin?"
 
"Tiffany," Ailee blurted out. "Hwang Tiffany."
 
"I work with her father," Jessica gasped. "Or...I used to."
 
"Is that so?"
 
"I was dismissed for the sake another teacher."
 
"Pity," Ailee sighed.
 
A silence aded the two and Ailee wished now that she had taken the offers to dance. Jessica continued to look at her dress in wonder, and most likely jealousy, as Ailee thought of ways to escape. She wanted someone to ask her to dance again, but she didn't expect this man to ask her.
 
Prince Joonmyun himself came over to Ailee and bowed.
 
"Hello, fair maiden," the prince smiled.
 
"Prince Joonmyun," Ailee quickly courtseyed. "What brings you here?"
 
"Would you like to dance?"
 
Ailee nodded and said goodbye to Jessica, who was sneering at that point. As the two danced, Ailee could not help but stare in wonder at the handsome prince who was smiling brightly. Once again, she thought she recognized him, but could not imagine how that would be. He had been traveling for years since he was a child.
 
"What is your name?" Prince Joonmyun asked.
 
"Yejin," Ailee answered.
 
"A beautiful name suited for a most fair maiden."
 
"You cannot even see my face, so how can you say that I am so fair?"
 
"One needs not to look upon a face to judge whether it is beautiful or not."
 
"Prince Joonmyun," Ailee decided to ask, "if you do not mind, may I say something?"
 
"Please," the prince nodded.
 
"I have the strangest feeling that I know you. It is almost as if we had met before, but I do not know where."
 
"My dear," Prince Joonmyun smiled, "this is destiny. Perhaps we have met in our dreams."
 
"Perhaps."
 
"Now, let us dance."
 
The crowd of dancers stepped aside to watch the prince and his partner dance to a slow and dreamy song. Tiffany was so proud to watch her friend enjoy herself, while Jessica and her daughters were filled with jealousy. Ailee was trapped in the prince's ever-present smile, and the prince was swallowed in her eyes. Time itself seemed to slow down to allow them to dance longer.
 
When the sound of applause resounded throughout the large room, Prince Joonmyun and Ailee awoke from their trances and turned to bow. In that fateful moment, Ailee hadn't realized that the strap of her mask had become loose, and it fell from her face. She did all in her power to hide herself, but it was too late, for Jessica had already seen her.
 
"Ailee?" Jessica's voice cut through the silence.
 
"Ailee?" Prince Joonmyun's gaze snapped back to his dance partner and he gasped. "Is your name Ailee?"
 
"Yes, it is," Ailee nodded and picked up her mask.
 
"Why did you say it was Yejin?"
 
"I was hiding from my stepmother."
 
Without saying anything else, Ailee put her mask back on as Tiffany ran to her. Even as the prince was calling out her name, Ailee ran out of the palace with her friend by her side. The two maidens fled as fast as they could. Just before they reached the doors, Ailee looked back at the prince, who was still calling for her, and waved goodbye.
 
"Jessica saw you, didn't she?" Tiffany asked breathlessly as they continued to flee.
 
"She has," Ailee sighed.
 
The two slowed down when they reached Tiffany's house. Ailee's home was still a ways off from there. There didn't seem to be anyone following them, so they stood there to catch their breaths. Ailee handed the mask to her friend, sad that her one night of freedom had to end so suddenly.
 
"No," Tiffany shook her head. "You may keep it."
 
"Thank you," Ailee's eyes lit brightly. "I will never forget this night."
 
"Nor will I."
 
"Farewell, Tiffany. I do not know if we shall ever meet again."
 
"We will, dear," Tiffany hugged her friend. "Whether in this world, or in Heaven, I will see you. Good luck."
 
Several tears escaped as Ailee waved her friend goodbye. Knowing Jessica's wrath, Ailee didn't know if she would see another day, and that was no exaggeration.
 
The maiden made the rest of her way home slowly, and savored the memories of her life up to that point. Prince Joonmyun was indeed handsome, and she was thankful that she got to dance with him. A smile graced her lips, and she had never felt more blessed than then. If she were to be beaten to death, Ailee was thankful that she could meet Tiffany and Prince Joonmyun at least once. Though she wished that she could spend more time with them, she left her fate to her Father, whom she trusted all the days of her life.
 
Once at home, Ailee went into her room and changed into her sleeping clothes. She did not know if it would be the last time, so she knelt beside her mat and prayed from her heart. Ailee's beautiful prayer was not filled with requests for deliverance from Jessica's wrath, but instead was a prayer of gratitude. She knew she had not lived the most coveted life, but she still thanked God for every day she spent.
 
When she was done, Ailee wrapped her blanket about herself and cried. Tomorrow would bring whatever God allowed.