Cruel Fate

Cinderella
A fair little girl sat on her beloved father's lap as the twilight sky intensified. Her father's strong yet loving embrace brought the girl comfort night after night. The girl was the greatest possession of the father, and likewise for the daughter. They lived in a humble abode, though never was a time when either complained, for the little family had learned to be grateful for all things, meager as they may seem. Indeed, they had much to thank their Heavenly Father for: daily food, dear company within themselves, and most of all for their love. None could purge that except for icy Death himself.
 
"Tell me, Ailee," the father whispered to the girl in his arms, "what has this day brought to you?"
 
"Much to be told about, father," she replied with great excitement. "First, that wretched little rat, Chanyeol, teased me that I am much too old for my dress. I, for one, like my pink dress and it suits my years. Is that not so, father?"
 
"Yes, my dear," Mr. Lee chuckled, "that dress suits you very well. Now tell me, dear one, did this day bring only annoyances?"
 
"No, father. I met my dear friend at the market. He is a very wonderful boy, I must say."
 
"Now who is this friend with whom my daughter so frequently meets?"
 
"I myself am not sure, father. He doesn't fancy my meeting his family, or even seeing where he lives. He insists that I call him Guardian, ridiculous though it may be. Oh, father, how I wish I knew more about him, but he is so secretive. Yet, I enjoy his company very much."
 
"Well, child, tomorrow we may ponder on this more. Now, I am afraid it is time for bed. Remember, thank your Father before taking rest."
 
"I will," Ailee called out as she scurried off to her bed.
 
In their quaint city of London, no one knew the truth of Ailee's birth mother, except for her father. The untrue truth he had frequently told those who knew him, and even Ailee herself, was that he had gone off for a year into a village, fallen in love, bore a child, and lost his wife in childbirth. He had not the heart to disclose to his own daughter that she was the child of a debauched man and an unfaithful wife of an affluent knight. Before the husband had a chance to behold the child, Ailee's mother told him that the child was stillborn, while Mr. Lee fled to his home city with the newborn in his arms. Had anyone in London ever discovered the truth, Mr. Lee and Ailee would be shunned for his sin. But with this secret safe within his heart, Ailee and her father enjoyed a peaceful and humble life on the border of the affluence of the royal city.
 
One morning, as Ailee was quietly washing the accumulated dishes, she heard her father approaching. It seemed that he had company with him, a woman, in fact. Before this, Ailee had never known her father to be closely acquainted with women. As curiousity consumed her, Ailee wiped her wet hands and went to see the unexpected guest.
 
"Hello, Ailee," Mr. Lee chimed when he saw his daughter in the doorway, "I apologize for not telling you in advance, but I would like for you to meet Ms. Jessica Jung from across the city."
 
"Pleased," Ailee courtseyed politely.
 
"Hello, young one," Jessica smiled. "Your father has told me much about you. I can tell you are a good child."
 
In the child's eyes, Jessica was quite beautiful, though she seemed to carry a forboding air about her. Still, Ailee was pleased to make her acquaintance. Even as Jessica would smile at her, her eyes would betray the facade, for they seemed to be as icy as the winter. The child's naivetee kept her from seeing the danger in it, and so, she said nothing as her father took Jessica's hand in marriage, and accepted the two new stepsisters she had acquired. From the moment those two hags stepped into their new home, they took great pleasure in disturbing Ailee from interrupting her reading time to going so far as to cut her hair as she slept. Through the sobbing and the complaining, Jessica never once lifted her hand for her daughters to stop, and if Mr. Lee did, Jessica would punish him in secret. It seemed there would be no end to Ailee's misery.
 
In their rare moments of solitude, Ailee implored her father to divorce the icy woman. He had not the will to, however, for that would bring upon them the very discrimination he had so long avoided by keeping the secret of his daughter's birth. Their amiable existance was undeserved, but Mr. Lee was not prepared to lose that by leaving his wife. Alas, Ailee was destined to suffer for his father's mistakes. Despite all of this, the girl still gave her daily thanks to her Heavenly Father, for she still had much to be grateful for, and in particular, a certain friend who still wouldn't disclose his identity.
 
"Guardian, I implore you," Ailee whined, "grant me the answer for this one question that I may call you by your name."
 
"I apologize, dear Ailee," Guardian smiled his rather perfect smile, "for my name bears much acclaim, and I would not have you consider me anything more than what I am to you: a friend. How is your new family, Ailee?"
 
"Fine, thank you," she sighed. "Well, at least they are the ones who are happy. I have not once enjoyed a moment's peace since they arrived."
 
"Shall I smite them, dear maiden?"
 
"No, my most trusted friend, for God Himself serves more fitting punishments to the wicked."
 
"I applaud your virtues, Ailee, but must you suffer for the rest of your days in that house?"
 
"I promise that one day, I will be happy with my father again."
 
The dear hope of a child is not so easily crushed, but Ailee's single most precious wish was never to come true. For when she returned home that day, Mr. Lee had fallen ill, if only slightly. It progessed in a few short weeks, however, and Jessica was left to bury her husband, and take on the care of his daughter. Neither the stepmother nor the daughter liked this idea very much. And as if by another cruel strike by the hand of fate, Ailee one day found a note in Guardian's name explaining that he had no longer any opportunities to meet with her again, though he did not say why. Ailee, who would grow into a most fair maiden, was left to bear all of her troubles in bitter solitude.
 
Still, she refused to forsake the promise she had made to Guardian that she would be happy again, even without her father.