Episode Five

Gokusen 3 Remake

Episode Five

It was finally here. The day I was going to have my first date, ever. I admit I was excited and nervous, but I wasn't being all girly about it. I kept my cool through school. My heart started beating faster as Yankumi's math lesson came to an end.

"Because today and tomorrow we have parent-teacher conferences in the afternoon, we'll end the lesson here," Yankumi announced.

We cheered.

"What should we do," Honjo asked, "any suggestions Sai-chan?"

I turned to the gang, "sorry, I have a date today."

They all looked at me in shock, except Yamato, "nani?!"

I smiled, "yeah with that guy, Takahashi, Akio, remember?"

"Hey Chiaki, let's go play some darts after lunch," Yamato suggested before the guys could say anything.

That got them off the subject of my date quickly. I narrowed my eyes at Yamato. He avoided my eyes.

Honjo shot up cheering.

"Honjo, Kuraki, Saitou," Yankumi called getting our attention, "your conferences are today, aren't they?"

"Ah, I forgot...," Honjo whined.

"Ain't it just my mom," Kura asked.

"No, it ain't," we groaned, "I told you all, didn't I? This time it's a parent-student-teacher conference. We're going to be focusing on your future. Have you thought about it?"

"Our future is still a long way off," a guy lazily said.

Yankumi nodded, "of course there's no need to decide now. Whether it's college or work, it's not a decision to take lightly. You need to think about it ahead of time."

"I've decided," one of the guys up front called out.

"Huh," Yankumi walked up to him, "is there something that you want to do?"

"I want to be a 'freeter'."

"A freeter can be various things," Yankumi smiled, "first off, what sort of part-time job?"

"Part-time job," he asked confused, "a freeter is a man who can live freely. Right?"

Honjo busted out laughing, "what an idiot! It's to breed dogs."

We turned to him.

Yankumi's smile dropped completely, "Honjo....That's a 'Breeder'."

He rubbed the back of his head laughing at his mistake. We laughed at him and turned back to the front. As soon as class was over, Honjo, Kura and I stood outside the classroom. There were a few others waiting with us. Soon their mothers came to wait too. I sadly watched the others interact with their mothers, and then, walk in and out of the classroom together. I was the last one to be called. I walked in and sat down. I glance over at the empty chair beside me as Yankumi sat down across from me. I looked up at her.

She smiled, "we can talk while we wait for your guardian."

I rolled my eyes, "no one's coming."

Yankumi sighed, "you didn't remember to tell your guardian?"

"No, I don't have a guardian," I stated plainly, "you can write that I haven't decided what I want to do with my life yet."

I got up to leave, but Yankumi stopped me from walking out.

"Saitou, if you ever want to talk, I'll listen."

Holding tears back, I walked out of the classroom then out of the school. I kept walking until I found myself in the park. I went over to a bench and sat. I watched kids playing with their parents thinking about how lucky they were to have each other.

"Heza!"

I turned to see Akio running up to me. He was wear a suit similar to the one he was wearing when I met him. I got up as he stopped in front of me.

"You're here early," he said catching his breath.

"So are you," I laughed.

He looked me up and down.

He raised an eyebrow, "is that what you are wearing?"

"What's wrong with it," I asked looking down at myself.

Akio sighed, "sweetie, when you go out with a host, you dress up, put some make-up on, and do something with," he waved his hands over my head, "this. I have a repatation to keep as man who only dates the most fashionable of women."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he held his hand up to stop me as his phone rang.

"Moshi, moshi," he put his hand down, "no, I'm not doing anything tonight. I'll be right there," he hung up, "I have to go to the club tonight. Maybe we can re-schedule for tomorrow for a lunch date."

"But I have school."

He rolled his eyes, "You can skip. I'm sure you do it all the time because of those 'friends' of yours. Oh, and be sure to doll yourself up. Got a rep to protect."

With that said, he walked off. I looked down at myself again. Maybe Akio had a point. Maybe I should dress up a little more and wear, dare I say it, make-up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I got up and went over to Ren's. He had already left for school, but luckly, Kaoruko was still there. I asked her to help me put some make-up on before she left for her day-job. She was a little confused at my request, but then said 'what the hell' and sat me down. She pulled my hair back and began to apply the make-up.

"Can I also borrow one of your outfits," I asked making her freeze.

"What's going on, Heza," she narrowed her eyes at me, "you're not doing this for a boy are you?"

I sighed, "his name is Akio."

Kaoruko tilted her head, "what about Yamato?"

"What about him?"

She started to apply my make-up again, "according to Ren, you like him and he likes you back."

I looked at her with shock, "what, he doesn't like me."

"Ren told me that when you passed out from pain, he carried you, and then didn't want to leave you," she smiled, "if you ask me, it sounds like he likes you."

I rolled my eyes, "if he likes me, it's just as friends."

Kaoruko chuckled, "just think about it, and I know you like him too."

"Whatever."

Once she was done, I put on her light blue outfit. It was short and revealing, but oh well. I finally got to school a couple of hours late. I walked in the classroom through the back door. Yamato and Ren were in the front of the class, along with Kura, Ichi, Kamiya, and Honjo.

"That's the way it is," Yamato announced, "we need your help."

Kura sat a box down on the front desk. It say: Honjo's emergency relief! Big collection box.

"If everyone chips in some, we may be able to make it work," Ren said.

Ichi put his hands together, "please, everyone help to save Honjo."

"Alright! Let's chip in," the class cheered.

They stepped up and emptied their pockets. Knowing I had nothing in my pockets, I just sat back and watched. When everyone's pockets were empty, they sat in a circle. Kura dumped the box. Everyone looked down at the small amount sadly.

"Let's give it a count," Kura said trying to lighten the mood.

"There's no need," Yamato stated upset with the small amount.

"It's nowhere near enough," Kamiya sighed.

"At this rate, he may have to quit school," one guy said making me more confused about what was going on.

Ren stood up, "alright! We have no choice but to work ourselves."

The class nodded.

Yamato stood and stepped forward, "let's do it! 3-D Operation save Honjo with part-time jobs!"

Ren stepped forward, "fight-oh..."

"Oh!"

I got up and walked over to Ichi, "is Honjo in trouble?"

"He may have to quit school," he turned to me then jumped back, "what happened to you, Heza?"

At his sudden action, everyone turned to us. They're eyes widened and looked me up and down. Ren quickly took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders trying to cover me.

"What are you wearing," he said getting in his brother mode, "it looks like something my sister wears to her night job."

"It is something she wears to her night job," I shoved his jacket to him, "it's no big deal."

Kamiya stepped forward, "no big deal..."

He slowly looked behind him. I looked over his shoulder to see Yamato scaring the others with his famous glare. He came over and turned his glare to me.

"You're dressed this way because of Takahashi, right," he growled.

I glared right back, "why? Are you jealous?"

The guys went silent and took a few steps back away from us.

"Why would I be jealous of someone who changes others," he growled.

I got in his face, "maybe because he has someone and you don't, and he's not changing me."

He raised an eyebrow, "have you looked in the mirror lately?"

"A girl trys a new look and the first thing you think is that her boyfriend is the reason," I argued back.

He shook his head and turned to the others, who were all the way across the room, "well, we know what Heza's job will be."

Without another word, he left. I went after him.

"Hey, wait a sec," I called.

He stopped and turned to me, "what now?"

I stopped in front of him, "why do you care if I change my look?"

He sighed, "I think you should be with someone who won't change you. I think you need someone who will like you for you."

I crossed my arms, "like who?"

"Well.....," he rubbed the back of his head.

When he didn't answer, I rolled my eyes and left to find a part-time to help Honjo. I looked all over, but nobody wanted a highschooler working for them. I was about to go to the next place when someone called my name.

"Heza!!"

I turned and saw Akio walking up to me with a huge smile. He looked me up and down then whistled.

"Lookin' good."

Not in the mood for compliments, I just rolled my eyes. Not sensing my mood, he continued.

"Seriously, you should dress like this everyday," he looked at the store I was about to go in to, "what are you doing here?"

"Looking for a part-time job."

"Why?"

"Honjo needs the money."

He sighed, "one of those boys you hang out with," I nodded, "okay, you win."

He took out his cellphone and made a call. I didn't really follow the conversation.

He hung up, "alright. A friend of mine is going to help...um.."

"Honjo."

"Yes, Honjo," he smiled really big, "now, can I take this pretty lady out for dinner?"

I smiled, "sure."

He put his arm out for me to grab. I wrapped my arm around his, and he took me to dinner. After a wonderful night out, Akio walked me back to my apartment. We said good-bye and he left.

========================================================================

I awoke to the sound of my phone. I groaned and answered it.

"Hello."

"Hey," Yamato called on the other end, "get up. We're coming to get you."

"What? Why?"

"Because Honjo needs our help," he said, "he borrowed some money from a guy, and we think he's going to return it. We can't let him go alone."

"Well, I have plans to go to breakfast with Akio."

He sighed, "really! You're going to abandon your friend for some guy."

I sat up more awake than I was, "I'm not abandoning anyone."

"Sure. You know what, do what you want," he hung up.

I hung up and growled. After getting dressed, I met Akio at his host club.

"Hey," he greeted, "ready to go."

I sighed, "yeah."

"Okay, what's wrong?"

"Well, instead of helping my friends, I chose to come here, and Yamato got really mad."

He smiled slightly, "don't worry. I'm sure their going to be taken care of."

I turned to him, "what do you mean?"

"Well remember that friend I called," I nodded, "he said he would take very good care of your friends."

I felt my anger build inside me, "What did you do?"

He put his hand on my shoulder, "I made sure that they would get what's coming to them."

I shoved his shoulder off and grabbed him by the collar, "where are they?"

After he gave me directions to his friends hideout, I dropped him. He fell to the ground. As I started to walk away, he called after me.

"Heza. Come on baby, they just a bunch of delinquents esspecially that Yamato guy."

I stopped and turned to him, "those delinquents are my best friends, and Yamato is ten times the man you will ever be. Oh and one more thing, I'm not your baby."

I left him and quickly made my way to his friend's hideout. I finally got there and heard shouting.

"You borrowed 500,000 yen."

I entered the warehouse to see Honjo run up to some guy behind a desk. A bunch of guys surrounded my friends when they tried to leave.

"I can't let you do that," the guy said standing up, "I made a deal with man, who wants a certain group of delinquents to disappear."

"Who would that be," I called getting their attention.

The guys looked at me in shock as the guy smirked.

"Well well well, what do we have here," he stepped towards me.

Yamato pushed him back, "get away from her."

That started a chain reaction. The next thing I knew the guys were pinned down, and a guy held my arms behind my back. The leader dragged Honjo away from the others and began to beat him up.

"Honjo! Honjo!"

I started to cry, "stop it!"

The leader picked up a pipe as his thugs held Honjo up. He was about to hit him with the pipe when a voice stopped him.

"Don't touch him again!"

We looked at the entrance to see Yankumi.

"A high schooler isn't really a fair opponent for you, is it," she lectured.

The thugs stepped forward, "who the hell are you?"

She got in her serious mode, "me? I'm those kid's homeroom teacher."

"A teacher," they laughed.

"I'd like you to return my students," she said slowly walking towards them.

"Unfortunately, this is my work," the leader said.

Yankumi tilted her head, "work?"

He pointed his pipe at Honjo, "I lent him money, but he tried to cancel it by returning only 50,000 yen."

"Honjo. You..."

"I lent him 500,000 yen."

"That's wrong," Honjo cried out, "I only borrowed 50,000 yen!"

"And it was all a trap to beat the guys up," I shouted before the guy holding me covered my mouth.

Yankumi glared at the leader, "it's dirty to prey on people in trouble to make money just so you can beat up him and his friends, isn't it?"

"What was that," the leader growled.

"You can't call what you do work," she stated.

"Shut up!!"

The leader nodded his head and his thugs walked up to Yankumi. She started to dodge the thugs punches with ease.

"It's because of guys like you that an increasing number of kids don't understand the value of money and real labor," she yelled.

"Get her."

As the thugs tried to hit Yankumi, I broke free and ran to help Honjo.

"Are you alright?"

When I looked up, the leader was the only one left.

"You still want to continue," Yankumi asked dangerously, "if it's to protect my precious students....I won't hold back."

"Don't take me lightly," the leader yelled before attacking Yankumi.

Yankumi stopped his attack then knocked him out. We followed Yankumi to the nearby park. Yamato was the only one who didn't talk to me the whole time. We sat down in the park.

"You guys....," Yankumi smiled, "all you do is reckless stuff."

"But...," Honjo sniffed, "if I didn't return that money, I wouldn't be able to face my dad."

"I see."

Yankumi's phone went off. As she answered the call, I turned to the guys.

"I'm really sorry," I stood up and bowed to them, "really sorry."

"Stop apolgizing," Ren mumbled.

I stood up straight, "but if it wasn't for me...."

"We don't blame you," Yamato said leaving no room for argument.

I sighed still feeling bad when Yankumi turned to us.

"Honjo. Your dad's escaped form the hospital."

"Huh," Honjo stood up and thought for a minute, "the shop!"

He took off. We ran after him. He lead us to his father's shop. We saw his dad working. Honjo went up to him.

Dad! What are you doing?"

His dad looked up, "oh, Kengo. Ah sensei."

"Please don't do this, sneaking out of the hospital...."

Honjo's dad interrupted Yankumi's plead, "but I have to since I can't leave the hospital yet."

"Of course not! You aren't better yet," Honjo yelled.

"Give it a rest," he told Honjo, "I feel bad for the customers, keeping the shop closed for so long. Business isn't something for you. It's something for customers. I've worked believing that."

I stood there watching Mr. Honjo work as the rest of the class ran up to us.

"We heard that Honjo's dad disappeared. We were worried."

"Everyone, take a good look at Honjo's dad," Yankumi said, "this is what work is. It's something you do with painstaking effort and responsibility. It's because of this that money has value."

Honjo wipped his tears away then went up to his dad. He told his dad that he used some of his money. He apoligized saying he would work to repay it.

"Come on. Don't just stand there. Help out," his dad pointed to some buckets, "wash those buckets. Wash them well."

As Honjo went over to the buckets, Yamato, Ren and I ran up to Honjo's dad.

"We'll help too," I smiled, "this needs to be washed, right?"

"Oh, thanks. Kengo, bring those molds."

We washed the buckets as Honjo begged his dad to go back to the hospital when the tofu is made. His dad gave in which made me smile bigger.

Yankumi turned to the rest of the class, "alright guys, shall we do this?"

"Oh!"

For the rest of the day, we helped Honjo's dad sell all of his tofu. At one point the head teacher showed up and ran Yankumi off. It was hilarious. When every tofu was sold, Honjo's dad went back to the hospital. Yamato said he would walk me home. When we got to my building, I turned to him.

"I'm really sorry for everything, and you were right. He was trying to change me, and I'm going to do what you said."

"And what's that?"

"I'm going to find someone who will like me for me," I smiled, "well good-night, Yamato."

"Good-night."