Epilogue

Until We're Together (Halloween Special)

Sometimes it's easy for you to believe that it never happened. Most of the time, though, it's impossible to forget.

You have to fight through a crowd of your fans to finally get into the building. They're praising you for your most recent comeback, which you'd been super busy with. Yet, a lot of them still hold out copies of your first album for you to sign.

You take one, flipping it over in your hands and smiling as you read the contents.

Track No. 1: "Until We're Together", lyrics by Kim Heechul.

That song had swept you into popularity. Lots of music critics declare that it doesn't sound like Heechul. They're skeptical that he was even the one who wrote the song. It wasn't his usual style. It was sad, and soft, a thousand sweet dreams with tragic endings all swept together into a pile of diamonds so beautiful that it's blinding. And that is why you know that it couldn't have been anyone but him. 

You flip the case back over, scribble your name in permanent marker across the front, and hand it back to the girl. She's young, and pretty, with eyes still wide at the size of the world. The same way you were when you first came to SM and found out that ghosts were real.

You thank her for her support, then continue through the crowd until you can get through the doors. 

Inside, you're greeted by a group of impatient-looking girls. "We all have the same fans, yet you always take too much time with them," the eldest one scoffs. She's the leader of your team. Heechul was right. It was better to be in a group. That way, you always had members to rely on.

You laugh, then walk with them through the lobby. You jokingly push the maknae, who glares at you and steals your phone right out of your hands. She had such an incredible resemblance in personality to Kyuhyun that it was scary.

"Hang on, I've got something I need to do," you say, breaking away from the girls after snatching back your phone, "I promise, I'll be back in time for our next event."

They shrug and keep walking, and you watch them go for a while before you turn and walk in a different direction. 

The manager's collection of promotion posters has continued to grow, still holding all of the artists from over the years. H.O.T, SHINee, TVXQ, f(x), BoA, Girls' Generation, Zhang Liyin, EXO, Super Junior, Henry Lau... there are a few new ones, too. Like the promotion poster for the Asian Music Awards in Hong Kong. Right at the front was the picture of Henry, Kibum, Zhou Mi, and Han Geng, all smiling with linked arms.

Han Geng's relationship with the company had improved a lot since what happened. He was still in China most of the time, so the guys still didn't get to see him much, but at least now, when they're in China, they can publicly visit him, and, in some ways, act the same way they did in old times. With a few exceptions. Eleven exceptions, to be exact.

Next to that is your own promotion posters. You and your seven other members, all dressed prettily and smiling at the camera. You're glad you got put in such a big group. They make you feel safe. Like they're your family.

You pass the hallway of posters, moving on. Soon enough, you're opening the door to the recording room, finding yourself alone.

You smile a little, seeing the white rose in its simple vase, completely untouched. You gently reach out and one of the white petals, feeling the cool waxiness of the flower. It should have died a long time ago, but some strange magic kept it alive, so long as you remember to keep coming here to water it, like it gets lonely whenever you're gone. Nobody else ever does it. Just you. Plenty of people have asked you why the rose is so special to you. They think that you just replace the rose every few days. They don't know the truth. Nobody really understands, except you and the four guys.

You unscrew the top from your water bottle, a beaten-up old thing that served as a sort of good luck charm for you, then carefully poura few splashes into the vase.

You spin the cap back onto the bottle, smiling at the rose. It looks even healthier now, like it's happy you're there. You laugh, then turn when you hear someone knock on the door, then open it.

It's Henry. He looks a lot healthier now. Still not back to the bright, joyful ray of sunshine he'd been before the accident, but his cheeks have filled out, and he was once again a cheerful, funny guy with bright eyes and a wide smile. You were comfortable around him. He made you feel happy.

"Hey, do you want to go get some coffee?" he asks, grinning at you.

"I don't know... getting coffee with you sounds like a bad idea. You'll bounce off the walls!" you tease, but straighten up and walk over to him. He leans over and gives you a peck on the cheek, and you wind your arm through his, lacing your fingers together.

"I'll be fine," he laughs, pulling you through the door. Before it closes, you steal one final glance at the white rose, standing proud and beautiful in its vase. For a moment, you swear you can see it sparkle, as if it was even happier than before. 

As you turn around and head towards your life, towards the joy you were afraid you'd never have, that you almost thought you didn't deserve, you can almost hear Heechul's condescending laughter.

But happiness shouldn't be reserved for short amounts of time. He wouldn't have wanted you to be broken and alone for the rest of your life. Any more than he wanted his friends to be angry at him and hate him when he was dead.

You're fairly sure that he's happy for you, even though you can't be with him. You know he wants you to move on and have a good life, and when your time comes, he'll be waiting for you.

So you can be together.