Chapter Two

A Twisted Future
The next day, I heard about Jan Di being touched by a couple of guys because of Gu Jun Pyo's order while she was changing after she swam. But, thanks to Jì Hoo Sunbae, she was saved. I stomped my way to where F4 always stays at school. As I went in, I saw Jun Pyo sitting on the couch while Yi Jung Sunbae and Woo Bin Sunbae were drinking water at a counter. Ji Hoo Sunbae was nowhere to be seen. 
          "Yah!" I yelled, stepping in front of Jun Pyo. Yi Jung raised an eyebrow as Woo Bin grinned and watched me. 
          "Bwoh?" Jun Pyo asked. 
          "Is that the way how you treat girls?" 
          "Seriously?" Jun Pyo asked. "Telling me on the way I should treat girls."
          "Yah, Jun Pyo." Yi Jung said. "Doesn't she remind you of someone?" 
          "Jun Hee Noona." Woo Bin chuckled. 
          "Yeah," Jun Pyo nodded slowly, like he realized something. He grinned. "Yah, dongsaeng. What're you talking about?"
          "I'm not your dongsaeng. And I'm talking about you sending people to hurt Jan Di." I said, my voice getting louder every word. 
          "Yah, dongsaeng. I didn't start it."
          "She's a girl!" I cried out. 
          He looked away from me. "Her loss."
          I clenched my jaw. I stomped my way to Woo Bin Sunbae who was still staring at me with an unreadable expression. I snatched the glass of water that was from his hand and walked to Jun Pyo. I dumped it all on him. 
          "Yah!" He yelled and glared at me, wiping the water off his face. "What's wrong with you?! Why did you do that?" 
          "To teach you a lesson."
          "Dongsaeng, who are you?" 
          I narrowed my eyes at him. "Your worst nightmare, you cockroach."
          I walked to Woo Bin and Yi Jung with a nonchalant face. I gently grabbed Woo Bin Sunbae's hand and placed the glass there. "Thank you for the glass of water."
         "Err, you're welcome?" Sunbae said, a bit dazed either from what I just did to Jun Pyo or something else. 
          "Oh, and have you seen Jì Hoo Sunbae?" I asked. 
          "No, he's probably sleeping somewhere," Yi Jung Sunbae smiled, showing his dimples. "why?"
          I dug my hand in my pocket and felt his handkerchief. "No reason. Just asking." I bowed. "I'll be going now." As I stepped out of the F4's place, someone yelled. 
         "Yah, Water Girl. Wait up!"
          I turned and saw Woo Bin Sunbae running towards me. "Oh, Woo Bin Sunbae."
          He grinned as he approached and stopped in front of me. "Yah, Water Girl. Just call me Woo Bin." 
          I laughed and nodded. "Okay. But, seriously? Water Girl?"
          "So, what really is your name? Or, should I stick to Water Girl?"
          "My name's Jì Hye. Kim Jì Hye." I smiled. 
          "Kim Jì Hye. Pretty name." 
          I laughed. "Kamsahamnida. But, you said I reminded you of 'Jun Hee Noona'. Who is she?"
          "Ah. Noona of Jun Pyo." Woo Bin said. "Yah, Jì Hye. Wanna hang out with the famous F4 later and see how we really are?"
          "Well..." 
          "You can bring your friend if you want." 
          I smiled and nodded. "Okay. But, wait. How can I know where to meet with you guys if I don't know how to contact you."
          "Ah," Woo Bin extended his hand out to me, palm facing up. "phone please." 
          I got my phone out and placed it on his hand. He flipped it open and started typing. The bell suddenly rang. "I'm gonna be late for class. See you later, Woo Bin ah!" I yelled and ran to my class, forgetting my phone was still with him. 
          Later, it was lunch time and Jan Di and I sat at our usual place, eating our lunch packs. Oh Min Jì was nowhere to be found. I sat across of Jan Di, stuffing my favorite dish in my mouth. 
          "I love cabbage rice." I stuffed some more. 
          Jan Di laughed. "Me? Rolled egg."
          "F4!" A girl screamed. 
          I groaned. "Can there ever be a time where F4 doesn't show up?" I turned and saw Yi Jung Sunbae and Woo Bin entering. 
          "Thank, God, Jun Pyo isn't here." Jan Di muttered. 
          "But, Ji Hoo Sunbae." I muttered. 
          Sunbae and Woo Bin looked around the lunch room. I looked away from them and continued eating my food.
          "Yah, Jì Hye, they're looking at you." Jan Di said. "They're coming here."
          I looked and saw them smiling at me. They made their way passed screaming girls and went to Jan Di and my table. Since our chairs were benches, Woo bin went to sit on my right and Yi Jung Sunbae went to sit on my left. 
          "Anyo, dongsaeng." Sunbae grinned at me. He looked at Jan Di. "Anyo, 2,500₩ Girl."
          "Yah," I said with my mouth full of food. "why do you people call me that? I'm no one's little sister."
          Sunbae poked my cheek full of rice. "You are now."
          "2,500?" Jan Di asked. 
          "Isn't that the price of the dry cleaning?" Sunbae asked. 
          Jan Di nodded sheepishly. 
          Woo Bin slung an arm around my shoulders earning me a lot of screams from girls. "You left your phone with me." He pulled my phone out of his pocket and gave it to me. "Yah, Yi Jung ah. Ka ja," he stood up, followed by Sunbae. "Anyo, Jì Hye. Anyo, 2,500₩ Girl."
          Sunbae smiled and waved his hand as he left. 
          "Keep calling me dongsaeng," I muttered shoving food in my mouth. 
          Jan Di laughed. "Who?"
          "Yi Jung Sunbae and Cockroach."
          "Cockroach?" Jan Di asked. 
          "Gu Jun Pyo."
          I flipped open my phone and searched my contacts. I saw Woo Bin's name being saved as "Woo Bin the Water Boy" then a smiley face at the end. 
 
          Later that evening, I went to deliver some milk. I biked my way and passed a bus stop. I stopped for a moment and saw an advertise of Min Seo-Hyun. She was a model who was very pretty and kind. But then I saw a boy leaning in and touching it. 
          "Sunbae?" I called. 
          He turned and it was Jì Hoo Sunbae. "Oh, Jì Hye. The pancake recipe you told me, was there anything missing? I tried it but it wouldn't rise."
          I pulled the lollipop out of my mouth. "Did you add baking powder?"
          Sunbae slowly nodded his head. "Ah, baking powder."
          "So, Sunbae likes Seo Hyun Eonni also?" I smiled. 
          He chuckled. "You know her?"
          "Of course! She's my idol." I exclaimed. "Wait, you were touching that. Your hands are really dirty." He looked.
          I was right. I hopped off my bike and pulled some tissues out of my pocket. Sunbae extended his arms as if to receive the tissues but I walked passed him and wiped the advertise. Sunbae laughed softly behind me. 
          "There," I smiled and went to him. "and this is yours." I got his handkerchief that I neatly ironed and washed and gave it to him.  
          "Thanks," he grinned. 
          I looked at Seo Hyun Eonni's picture for a while. "You know, she might end up marrying someone royal. She could marry a prince because of her kindness. I really hope she marries someone of a high rank because she deserves someone like that." 
          Sunbae lost his smile and said, "she's just a model." 
          Then my phone rang. "Yoboseyo?" 
          "Oh, Jì Hye ah." 
          "Oh, Woo Bin." Jì Hoo Sunbae looked at me with an unreadable expression. 
          "Meet later with us?" 
          I looked up at Sunbae who was staring at me. "Uh, Woo Bin ah. Mianhae, I'm really busy. Maybe next time?" 
          "Ah, it's okay. See you at school then, araso?"
          "Araso." I hung up. 
          "When did he get your number?" Sunbae asked suddenly. 
          "This morning."
          "Why did he call you?" He asked, staring at me. 
         "To ask if I wanted to hang out."
         "Did he ask you out on a date? Are you going?" 
          "Woah, Sunbae, no, he didn't. Why are you asking me all theses questions all of a sudden?" I asked. 
          He cleared his throat, looking away. "No reason. I'll be going first." 
 
          The next day, I went to school with Jan Di. We went in the classroom only to see everyone staring at Jan Di. I looked at the board and saw words like,
          "Crazy girl."
          "Who's the father?"
          "Are you giving your baby up for adoption?" 
          We quietly sat at our places. 
          "So dirty," Ginger exclaimed going to us, followed by Sunny and Miranda. She tossed a dirty towel at Jan Di's desk. 
          "I've had enough," Jan Di snatched the towel from the table and grabbed my arm and dragged me to F4 lounge at school. As we entered, I saw Cockroach sitting on the coach together with his F4 friends. 
          Jan Di threw the towel at his face. He furiously slapped the towel away.
          He stood up. "What's wrong with you?"
          "Have you ever seen me sleeping with a man? Holding hands with a guy, or hugging a guy? No! I didn't have my first kiss yet!" Jan Di yelled. "You! I'm warning you." She suddenly got into a fighting stance. I tried not to laugh as I moved away from Jan Di. 
          "What are you doing?" Cockroach asked, scared. 
          "Yah!" She yelled as she did a spinning back kick, hitting Cockroach straight at the face. I burst out laughing and clapped so hard as Yi Jung Sunbae, Jì Hoo Sunbae and Woo Bin were staring at Jan Di like she came from outer space. 
           "Ka ja, Jì Hye." 
 
          The next day, I arrived at school and waited for Jan Di. The school bell rang and I checked my watch. 
          "Where is that girl?" I sighed and went to my classroom. 
          After class, I stayed for a bit and fixed up my things. 
          "F4's here!" A girl screamed again. I groaned softly. 
          I slung my backpack on my shoulder and turned to the door way. Yi Jung Sunbae and Woo Bin were there standing on the door as girls crowded them. 
          "Oh, Ji Hye dongsaeng!" Yi Jung Sunbae smiled and walked his way to me. 
          Girls screamed. 
          Woo Bin grinned and went to me. 
          I smiled a bit at them. "Hey. What's up?" 
          "Yo yo yo!" Woo Bin greeted back. 
          "Come with us," Sunbae said and gently grabbed my arm and pulled me with him. 
          I silently let myself be pulled by him to the F4 lounge at school. We sat at the couches. "So, what's wrong? Did something happen to Jan Di?" 
          "She's fine," Woo Bin said. 
          "She's with Jun Pyo." Sunbae informed. 
          "Wait," I said. "why is she with Cockroach?" 
          Woo Bin and Sunbae shared a look then burst out laughing. 
          "Cockroach?" Woo Bin asked. 
          "Did you know that he's afraid of that?" Sunbae said. 
          "Really?" I asked. 
          Woo Bin nodded. 
          "Anyways, Jun Pyo brought her to his house for a makeover." Sunbae said.    
          I nodded and looked around the place. 
          "Are you looking for something?" Woo Bin asked. 
          "Have you seen Jì Hoo Sunbae?" I asked. 
          "No," Sunbae shooked his head. 
          "Okay," I stood up and bowed a bit. "I'll be leaving first."
 
          The following day, Jan Di arrived bringing a paper bag with white shoes inside. We went to the F4 school lounge.  
          "Who are those for?" I asked, peering inside. "Oh, nice shoes. I like white."
          As we entered the place, Yi Jung Sunbae and Woo Bin were the only ones in again. 
          "Oh, Jan Di. What're you doing here? Ah, dongsaeng!" Sunbae grinned at me and ruffled my hair. I playfully glared and fixed my bangs. 
          "Is Jì Hoo Sunbae here?" Jan Di asked. 
          Woo Bin groaned. "Two people just asked for him. Anyways, no, we haven't."
           "Can you give him this?" Jan Di handed the paper bag to him. 
          "Sure," Woo Bin got it. 
          "Oh, it's Min Seo Hyun Eonni." Jan Di said and we turned to the TV. 
          "Is Seo Hyun Eonni and Jì Hoo Sunbae acquainted?" I asked. 
          "Acquainted?" Sunbae and Woo Bin asked at the same time. 
          "She's like his first love." Sunbae said. 
          "His girlfriend." Woo Bin said. 
          "His mother."
          "His sister."
          I shared a look with Jan Di. 
          The school bell rang telling us it's PE. 
          "We'll be going for PE." Jan Di and I stood up. 
          "Us too." The boys stood. 
  
          For PE, we had volleyball. On the other court next to us, F4 played basketball. Jan Di and I were talking and laughing when suddenly someone yelled. 
          "Jan Di ah! Take this!" 
          Jan Di and I turned too late. Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda hurled the ball at Jan Di. The ball hit her face first, making her fall on me. Which made me fall on the side of my face at the ground. 
          "Jì Hye, are you okay?" Jan Di quickly stood up and helped me up. 
          "I'm okay." I looked at Jan Di. "Your nose! It's bleeding."
          "Your lip is bleeding." Jan Di said. "I'll be back." 
          She went to the comfort room and I saw Cockroach follow after her. I chuckled softly and went to sit on a bench behind a bush. I looked behind the bush and saw F4 stopped playing for a while. Woo Bin currently had the basketball in his hands as he looked at the direction where I was. He took a step but then Jì Hoo Sunbae ran passed him and went to my direction. Yi Jung Sunbae looked at the both of them. Then, Woo Bin threw the ball away angrily. I looked away as I heard footsteps near me. I looked up and saw Jì Hoo Sunbae appear. As usual, he was dressed in white. He sighed softly as he went in front of me and crouched down. I just stayed quiet. 
          He looked at my lip and got his handkerchief out. With his left hand, he gently cupped my cheek as he used his right hand to tenderly patted the hanky on my lip. Then, he used his thumb to softly touch my lip. I swallowed. I cleared my throat as he pulled his hands back and stood. 
          "Thank you, Sunbae." I said as he went to sit beside me on the bench. 
          He handed me the handkerchief. "I told you you need it more than I do." He grinned. 
          I took it and laughed softly. 
          Comfortable silence came. 
          "Sunbae really likes white." I suddenly said out of the blue. 
          He grinned. "And I know Jì Hye really likes gray or silver."
          "What makes you say that?" I asked. 
          He looked at me and raised my hand up, touching my small ring on my ring finger. "You always wore this silver ring." He gently dropped my hand. "And your school bag is silver gray." 
          I laughed a bit. 
          "Gomawo, Sunbae." I smiled at him. 
          "For what?" He asked. 
          "For always being there to rescue me and Jan Di." 
          He chuckled. "I always seem to find you both in a dramatic situation."
          "Sunbae must be Superman."
          That sentence made him smile the smile that makes me smile too and feel warm. 
          "Sunbae has a really nice smile. You should smile more often, you know." I said. 
          He opened his mouth to reply back but was cut short by Jan Di yelling, "Yah! Jì Hye ah! Where are you?" 
          He smiled. "I think you should probably go."
          "Anyo, Sunbae." I stood up and went after Jan Di. 
 
          Later after school, Jan Di and I were working at the Porridge Shop with Ga Eul. 
          "Oh, I got a call." Ga Eul answered her phone. "Yoboseyo? Oh, Umma. Really? Jan Di and Jì Hye can come? Neh." Then she hung up and turned to us. "You guys can come to the  boat!" 
          "Yeah!" Jan Di and I screamed and we did our happy dance. 
          The next day, Jan Di, Ga Eul and I headed down the fishing docks. We climbed on a boat and sailed to the middle of the sea and fished. After a while, we fell asleep on each other's shoulders. 
          "Yah, Jì Hye, Ga Eul," Jan Di muttered sleepily. 
          "Bwoh?" Ga Eul asked. 
          "I can still hear that annoying voice calling me." She complained. 
          "Yah! Dongsaeng!" I heard the faint shouting of Cockroach. 
          "I hear it too." I murmured. 
          Suddenly, we heard the loud sound of waves crashing. We jolted up awake and looked behind our boat to see a really big cruise ship with Shinhwa students in it. Cockroach, Yi Jung Sunbae and Woo Bin were at the deck of the ship with the rest of the students looking at us. 
          "Yah, Dry Cleaner!" Cockroach shouted with a megaphone on his hand. "Dongsaeng!"
          "Yah! I told you I'm not your dongsaeng!" I yelled. 
          "Why aren't you on your class trip?" Jan Di yelled angrily. 
          "We've all been here a bunch of times. We want to go somewhere new and someone recommended this. Such a coincidence to find you here, Dry Cleaner." Cockroach laughed. 
          Jan Di and I yelled unintelligible stuff at him. But he just made the cruise ship go pass our boat, making Jan Di, Ga Eul, and I be drenched in seawater. We had to dock for the night on land. As we went out of the boat, we were shivering from the cold.
          "Oh, isn't that Min Seo Hyun Eonni?" Ga Eul asked. 
          I looked and saw Seo Hyun Eonni with Jì Hoo. Cockroach makes his way towards us and says to Jan Di,
          “Dry Cleaner, be honest, aren’t you happy to run into me at a place like this?”
          "Happy? To run into you? I had a grand time before I saw you."
          "Dongsaeng, Cleaner, join us in the welcoming party." He invites nonchalantly. 
          "No!" Jan Di says. 
          "Shiro!" I refused. 
          Cockroach then just turns and walks away. Jì Hoo Sunbae walks passed Cockrpach and to us. "Jan Di, Jì Hye, there's this welcome party for Seo Hyun. You both should come."
          "Yes, I'll go." Jan Di smiled. 
          "Absolutely." I said. 
          Sunbae smiles then leaves. 
          "Jan Di, Jì Hye, why don't we help you get ready. I have the perfect idea." Ginger said as she and Sunny and Miranda pulled us with Ga Eul following. 
          After they dressed us up. They let us go together in the building. Jan Di and I walked to the door. 
          "I didn't know we were having a costume party," Jan Di murmured to me. 
          We hugged our black jackets around our bodies. As we entered the place, our jaws dropped. It was a huge ballroom with people dancing around in suits and elegant dresses. 
          "Oh, no." Jan Di said. 
          "We shouldn't have listened to them." I said. 
          As we turned about to leave, Cockroach made his way to the door. Quickly, we ran back inside and hid by the table of food. 
          "Oh, Jan Di, Jì Hye." Ginger arrived with the other two in formal dresses. 
          "Isn't it hot in here?" Miranda said. 
          "Why don't you take those jackets off." Sunny started tugging on our jackets.
          Jan Di and I pulled back. It was like a game of tag except it was three against two. Until, suddenly, they pulled hard and Jan Di and I fell and a dish of hors d’oeuvres fell on us, covering us in sauce. Jan Di and I held back tears as the whole ballroom turned quiet and stared at us in our Wonder Woman outfit. Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda laughed out loud as others snorted in amusement. 
          "You guys are delusional." Miranda said. 
          "You both really think you are Wonder Women." Ginger scoffed. 
          I sneaked a glance at my side at the people and saw Cockroach with an angry but shocked expression and Woo Bin with a dropped jaw. Yi Jung Sunbae looked at the both of them. Jì Hoo Sunbae made his way towards us with Min Seo Hyun Eonni. Yi Jung Sunbae gave one last look at Woo Bin. Then, he made his way also to us. Jì Hoo Sunbae took off his jacket and wrapped it around Jan Di, helping her up. Yi Jung Sunbae took off his jacket as he wrapped it around my shoulders. He helped me up and gave me his dimpled smile. 
          "I know why you did this," Seo Hyun Eonni said to the three girls. "but do you know that doing this just shows how you're the ones who are low not her."
          Then, Eonni turned to the exit door. "Jì Hoo, Yi Jung, what're you guys doing? Bring them to my room." 
          Yi Jung Sunbae led me to the room of Eonni and went back to the ballroom with Jì Hoo Sunbae. Seo Hyun Eonni helped us get cleaned and changedtpo dresses. As we came out of the dressing room, Jan Di wore a pink dress with white fur shawl. I wore a silver strapless dress. Jan Di and my hair were curled. Her hair was short so the curl didn't really show, but my hair was longer, so they appeared as ringlets. 
           "Kamsahamnida, Eonni." We said after Eonni finished applying make up to us. 
          She smiled at us. "Any friend of Jì Hoo is a friend of mine."
          "Sunbae was just being nice." Jan Di said. 
          "He's not that kind of person, I assure you." Eonni smiled. "And I've heard you say on how you won't let Jun Pyo beat you down."
          Jan Di nodded. 
          "Cockroach," I muttered. 
          Eonni laughed out loud. "He's afraid of that, you know."
          "I've heard." I giggled. 
          "I wish you victory in doing so," Eonni told Jan Di. "but it’s because he’s lonely. Being the child of parents who are fixated solely on their business empire has made him lonely, and his outer demeanor is just a cover-up for it."
          Jan Di nodded. 
          Eonni stood up. "Okay." 
          Jan Di and I stood up awkwardly looking at our feet with no shoes. Eonni giggled and got two pairs of shoes. She gave one pair of heels with gems to Jan Di and the other pair of heels with Diamond studs to me. We put them on. 
          "So pretty." I complimented. 
          "Good shoes take you to good places. Ka ja," Eonni looped her arms around each of our arms and brought us back to the ballroom. As we entered, all eyes were on us and I grew self conscious. I looked and saw Cockroach and Woo Bin drop their plates and not notice. Yi Jung Sunbae and Jì Hoo Sunbae were sitting together, looking at us with a shocked expression. 
            Eonni went to them and gently pushed them to our direction. "Gentlemen don't ignore such beautiful ladies." 
            I shared a look with Jan Di and blushed. 
           Jì Hoo Sunbae went in front of Jan Di while Yi Jung Sunbae stood in front of me and smiled my favorite dimpled smile. Then, they both extended their hands to us.