Act 20

1 + 1 = 3

Time flies when they are together, spring come again and so another semester start. School is one of the places where they can be with each other, so Eunhye always looking forward for school. Sometime she tries avoiding meeting him when she got new bruises, it’s becoming annoying that he kept talking about she needed help.

          “Eunhye, you should really…” and she cover his mouth from continuing his word, she already know what he going to say.

          “For the hundredth time Oppa, seriously, this is nothing, I’m okay and there is nothing to be worry about”

          “But Eunhye…” he stop when he spotted the annoyed face she make.

          “Oppa, I’m not going to meet you again if you keep saying this, please” Eunhye turn away from him and walk away.

Seunghyun shake his head, but this is not what he wanted, he doesn’t want any distant between them. He catches up to Eunhye.

          “I’m sorry” he catches her hand and walk slowly beside her. She smile and squeeze his hand tightly, assuring him.

          “Promise that you will never avoid me, I want to heal this too” he touches her bluish cheek.

          “I got some magic cream, it really heal me fast Oppa, but okay. I promise not to avoid you” Eunhye feel the warmness in his touch, she love the feeling.

          “Not just where it visible Eunhye, but here too” he point to his heart.

Eunhye stare at him, Seunghyun try to read but she look detached and empty, she take some moment before she reply to him, Eunhye grab his hand and force him to start walking again, “Having you by my side will help Oppa” Seunghyun notice the change in her tone and that day he promises to protect this girl with all he has.


 

          Another semester is finish, Eunhye stay focus as she had to cramp for last minute preparation for her exam, there is no way she wanted to have a class in summer.

They headed to Seunghyun room, his mother when out for a while, nobody home at that moment.

          “It’s so hot today” Eunhye help herself and open the window in his bedroom and she sit in front of the fan. The heat is killing her.

Seunghyun put the cold bottle at her neck, Eunhye flinch but doesn’t say anything.

“Do you feel better?” Eunhye nod in respond. She take the bottle and turn to face him, but not moving and inch from the fan.

          “You’re not hot Oppa?” she asks while rumbling into her bag, putting out her stuff on the table.

          “I’m okay” he finally sits near the table, and lean to his bed for support.

Seunghyun take one of his book, “Start first, ask me if you didn’t understand anything”

          “Mmm,” Eunhye concentrate on her workbook.

Seunghyun look away from the book and he watch Eunhye. When the breeze from the fan hit on her, her hair keep falling to her face, at first she tuck it back behind her ears, but it keep falling back and without looking away from her book, she bite her pen and tie her hair into a bun.

He can’t seem to look away from her, from her hair, down to her nose and the way her lips move as she reading her workbook, down to her long neck and his eyesight travel down to her uniform.

          “Her collarbone is y”

          “What Oppa?” Eunhye catch him saying something

Seunghyun look flustered, noticing that he might have say something out loud, “What?” he try to act innocent.

Eunhye give him a warning look, Seunghyun snicker playfully at her.

          “Oppa”

Seunghyun look at her, “You look y”

          “Yah!” Eunhye throw her pen at him,

          “Miss me, Eunhye-ah” he giggles from behind his book.

Seunghyun mother call for them as she arrive at the front door. Eunhye stare at him, “I’m going to greet your mother”

He gave her a nod while staring back at his book. Eunhye pull the book away and give him a peck on his lips. She giggles and headed downstairs.

 

           Finally the first term of school ended with the teacher calling the name of student who have to come for summer classes, once they clean up their classes, everyone headed out once the bell rings. Eunhye thumping heart finally calm down when the announcement is made, she doesn’t have to attend the extra class.

          “Oppa! I’m safe!” she shows a victory sign to him, as she flashes her white teeth happily.

They chattered away as they headed to Eunhye house, Seunghyun lean closer and whisper to her, “Should we run far away together”, Eunhye heart skip a beat when he ask that and she feel his breath on her cheek.

          “Where ever you want to go Oppa, I will follow you” she chuckle lovingly next to him. Seunghyun pull her closer to his side, grabbing to her shoulder tightly.


Summer vacations also mean one thing for Eunhye, the annual event for the Yoon family. She already uses to be there, wearing a mask and putting and act, Eunhye wonder if she should try acting someday later.

          “You know what to do, don’t shame the Yoon’s name” he gave the cold look on her. Eunhye nods her head. But something change that day, he stare at Eunhye before he look away.

Yoon Eunhye, 17 at that time and a teenager. She couldn’t care about the event. She just wanted it to finish quickly without any mistake.

Making her way after chatting, she headed to the balcony for fresh air and overheard a group of people talking. The topic seems to pick her interest so she continues listening.

          “Hey, that brat doesn’t even go to a proper school”

          “What are they thinking letting the girl have the power to make big decision” another girl added.

          “I’m going to study aboard and quickly taken over the company”

The discussion heated while not noticing that Eunhye are listening. Eunhye feel like she misses someone present. She scan the floor and look around, she didn’t notice the figure anywhere.

          “A brat who is full of herself and a playboy as the heir, they are just going to ruin the company” they continue laughing.

Eunhye smirk when she heard about that playboy. She takes the phone when she notices the vibrating in her purse.

Speaking of the devil, with that thought a sly smile appeared.

          “Oppa, why are you calling, I’m bored here” she intentionally talks a bit louder wanting the group to notice her,

She chuckle, “You know how to have fun then, what the use of trying hard knowing that you already own it, isn’t it”

Eunhye know they already notice her there, she turn facing them while pretending not to care.

          “Stop using the company name while you’re playing Oppa, it’s not like you going to own it, and you can’t beat me” she take her step confidently, she pause in front of the group while still focusing on her phone call.

She chuckle and replay to the other person in the phone, “We are born with it, we are the heir. I mean me, not you” she gave them a death stare. She snickers and continue, “I’ll be good and greet you,” and she ended the phone call.

Making an obvious fake smile, “Have fun at the party, enjoy yourself” she bow politely and make an escape with her head held high.

          “She must have been listening to us”

Eunhye never been bother by the talk behind her back, she made her own reasoning and make peace about it…forget that… because Yoon Eunhye doesn’t give a damn care about it. But messing with them was an option she takes any day, it was fun for her.

Businesses talk, politic talk, current hot issues, just about their recent holiday and bragging about their achievement and possession is what matters to them, she kept herself well inform at least she have to know the basic, anything to keep her away from trouble. For most of the time, she kept the talk short and move on quickly.

Yoon Kye Sang finally make his entrance, he is her cousin. He is older than Eunhye, but she doesn’t really know how old he is, not that its matters.

          “You’ve made it” they acted friendly in front of others. Fake smile and giggle, some skinship showing they are comfortable with each other but honestly she hated him and he knows. Even if it’s just pretend, they can’t show any flaws in the family. People will take advantage of that.

The next day, Eunhye wait for them to leave the home for a vacation and she already given a permission to go out with her friends.

          “Are you sure you don’t want to follow?” her uncle suddenly asks.

Eunhye froze for a moment when he pats her head, “It’s okay, enjoy the trip”

          “Well, be good” he headed into the car. Eunhye notice his auntie piercing stare, but she let out a smile and bow to them politely. Eunhye ruffle her hair, the touch leave an awkward feeling.


Eunhye arrive at Seunghyun home, the family also getting ready for their family vacation and Seunghyun already ask to spend some time with Eunhye this summer.

          “Let’s go” his family drop them at the train station. Eunhye hug his mother and they hope they take care of themselves and return safely.

          “They really give permission for us to go for a trip together” Eunhye link their arm together as they headed to their assign platform.

Seunghyun smile sheepishly, of course he got drill by his parent about the trip, especially because they are together.

          “Oppa, where are we going honestly” she actually being dragged around by Seunghyun.

          “I’ve told you I wanted to kidnap you right” Eunhye nod.

They enter the coach and get seated at their sit.

          “Believe me” he holds her hand tight.

Eunhye giggle, “I’ve already did Oppa”

It’s a long journey but because they are together, nothing seems impossible to do.

          “Seriously Oppa”

Seunghyun smile, “Yes, here we go Jeju!”

Eunhye giggle, “it’s worth it” Eunhye hug him as they continue by ferry to the destination.

Doing things with Seunghyun make her forget about her life, she doesn’t even notice that tonight is their last night before they headed back to their hometown, where school going to start soon.

          “Thank you” Eunhye lean closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder.

          “Why?” Seunghyun rest his head on hers, they take their time slowly, listening to the sound of wave, looking as far as they could possibly see and the night sky is full with star tonight.

          “Kidnaping me” Eunhye giggle.

He pinch her nose, “My pleasure, my princess”

Eunhye move closer to him, she hug him from the side, Seunghyun feel her breathing lightly.

          “You want to go inside”

          “Not yet,”

Seunghyun play with her finger, at times like this, he enjoy the silent.

          “Eunhye-ah” he calls her slowly.

          “Mmmm” Eunhye is halfway to dreamland, but she still answers him.

          “What are your dream” Seunghyun look at the ring he gave to her when they officially started dating, she never once take it out. He pull her hand for a kiss, Eunhye feel that and she giggle.

          “I don’t know if it a dream or not, but I want family at a place like this, where everything seem slow pace, but it’s calming” Eunhye continue to talk about the family she want with some pause between her word. Seunghyun find her cute for talking in her sleep.

Seunghyun fall into deep thinking as Eunhye drove into dreamland, he nearly fall asleep and then he decide to take Eunhye inside, he rested her in her room before he go to his own room.

He is going to graduate soon and he won’t be able to look out for Eunhye.  Seunghyun wanted to give a proper thought about their future.


The season continue to change even when you didn’t notice it, Seunghyun been busy preparing for his final exam as an high school student, he haven’t really decide about what to do once he graduate, but at least he wanted to have bigger option in hand.

It’s been exceptionally busy and tiring for Eunhye, she literary drag herself home after school that day, because of her tendency to skip class, the teacher been drilling her with extra classes to cover up for her final. Since Seunghyun is also busy with his final, it is simply frustrating for Eunhye.

Quietly she makes her way to her bedroom, hoping that no one is home.

          “What taking you so long”

She turns to the voice downstairs, “I’m sorry, I’ve some extra class”

She snicker to Eunhye answer, “Not like you need it, make me some coffee now”

Eunhye drop her bag on the spot and headed to the kitchen quickly, she learn the hard way not to refuse her orders, just do as you ask and things will go smoothly, most of the time.

The coffee maker broke down before and she hasn’t had the time to get a new one, Eunhye tried to make it herself, it shouldn’t be so hard she thought.

“Why are you taking so long!” she enter the kitchen and saw her putting some boiling water into the cup. Eunhye flinch when she heard her.

“What are you thinking you’re doing!” she throw the cup at her, Eunhye didn’t manage to avoid and the hot water hit her arm before the cup shattered on the floor, her arm reddens but she didn’t dare to make any single sound.

She pulls Eunhye hair and drags her into the living room, while cursing and babbling about something. Eunhye already shut herself down, it doesn’t matter because she already use to this kind of love and care.

          “He’s been nice to you lately, what did you do to him! You girl! You’re the same as her!”

Eunhye heard her word clearly but it’s not the first time.

She slaps and punches her, her nail art leave scratch on her cheeks. Getting tired from yelling and hitting Eunhye, she stop and push Eunhye down on the floor and kick her on the stomach.

Eunhye cringe and hold her stomach.

          “Why did her leave her trash behind when she die, she should have died together rather to become a burden to me” she take out her cigarette and call out the driver.

She looks at Eunhye with disgust in her eye. “Clean up, don’t leave a mess”

          “She’s a trash just like her mother” she mutters.

 

Eunhye heard the car arrive and it was silent after that, Eunhye roll over, she lay on her back, looking at the ceiling.

          “Just a little bit more Eunhye, hang in there” she let out her hand, trying to reach at something, “Be grateful Eunhye, and hang in there”. She covers her eye with her arm, sighing heavily.

Eunhye know that Seunghyun busy preparing for his exam, just to be safe from him catching her, she’s been really careful not to go into his sight, avoiding him all the time.

          “Phew~” She let out a relive sigh, finally school session end, she didn’t have extra class, Eunhye headed out as soon as possible and since Seunghyun will have some extra class, she doesn’t have to worried about bumping into him.

          “Gotcha!” Seunghyun catch her arm and she shriek,

“Scaredy-cat!” but he hold his laughter after seeing her face, “Hey, you’re not really surprise don’t you”

Seunghyun pull her closer and she couldn’t control her face, she winched as she tried to pull her hand from his hold.

His expression change, he didn’t want to believe it, but, “Show me your arm”

Eunhye shake her head, Seunghyun touch her cheeks, he try not to ask about the bandage on her cheeks, since she already trying to hide it with her hair.

          “Just show me while I’m still asking nicely” he tuck her hair behind her ears, Eunhye pouts, she really can’t fight him.

          “It’s nothing really, don’t make it a big deal or something” as she get out from her cardigan.

Seunghyun look at her redden arm, he sigh heavily and the burn scar from cigarette are still visible and now another mishap already happen.

          “Stay at my home for a while, lie to them if you must”

Eunhye shake her head, “I told you it’s nothing and stop making it like a big deal would you” she hurried to wear her cardigan.

He knows she will object, he shakes his head in frustration.

          “Oppa” she calls him cutely and holds onto his arm, dragging him to move along with her.

          “Don’t forget your promise to kidnap me okay” she looks at him and giggle.

He nod and pull her closer. He kisses the top of her head lightly.

 


 

Author note

Revision of Age.

After thinking for a while, I’ll be using their Korean age in the story. As in they are age 1 year older than their actual age. 

Nana age will be older than when I first introduce her.

Nana will be 11 years old

Eunhye is 29

Seunghyun is 30

XOXO chingu-ya~ saranghae! <3