I.

Excuse Me Miss

 Hyoyeon stared out the window, watching the cars pass by in a blur of black. Almost like bats when they fly; even when they're flying in the dead of night, their gleam could still be detected by moonlight. Hyoyeon let out a soft chuckle, then tapped her head lightly against the head rest. How long has she been here? Almost thirteen hours. She glanced at the glare of the analogue clock; in exactly two minutes she would be here for thirteen hours. Then she thought about her life. Her predictable and definitely sheltered life, born from two God fearing parents with no other siblings to play with. Went through school and got the grades that was expected from her, got the degree and the life that her parents had been satisfied with. Her entire life, passing by just as colourless as the cars outside her window. She ought to be exciting, like her friends who go out and party. Meet people that are interesting, ones that would make her question why she ever thought it would be okay to live her life so... 

 

 She sighed and rubbed her neck. Her friends are also, one by one, finding the loves of their lives. Well educated and charming men, with interesting back stories and hobbies. All who had smiled at her in good nature, but she was sure they had raised their eyebrows behind her back. She guessed they didn't know that their wives would have her in their lives. After all, she was friends with women without finished education. They had all dropped out of school or colleges, pursing their thirst to see the world. The furthest she's ever been was Jeju Island, and that was only because a drunk man had instructed her in that direction. Why, even one of her best friends decided to be adventurous with their life partner. She smiled happily, recalling the wide smiles at the wedding. To an woman no less, an American who brought new cultures and attitudes.

 

 Hyoyeon thought about how her parents would react if she brought home a girlfriend; the idea thrilled her momentarily, then sighed as she knew she can't do such a thing. She was amiable, sensible Miss Kim Hyoyeon after all. Who definitely fancied guys. But how would she know? How would she know if she didn't try out the fairer ? Perhaps it would be easier, since they were both women. They'd understand how the other felt, how to make situations better... perhaps she did like women! Hyoyeon sat up a little straighter, and wondered if she was a little more complex that what she usually thought.

 

 The car door suddenly slammed open, yanking Hyoyeon into the present with a jolt. She whipped her head back, and saw a lump hurl itself inside. The car rocked slightly, then the lump shouted at her. "ing drive!" 

 

 She winced and hurriedly the ignition. The car door slammed just as she put the car into gear, and they were speeding away. "W-Where are we going?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly. 

 

 "Just... just... ah," the lump whipped its covers off and threw it to one side, revealing itself to be a man. Her jaw clenched as her eyes darted from the road to the rear view mirror. "Anywhere. Take me anywhere. I don't care where you drive, just... I don't want to be in Seoul." 

 

 Holy frick he was beautiful! Her eyes darted backwards and forwards for a good few minutes, slowly determining the stranger's appearance. He was tall, she decided, from the way his legs looked slightly cramped in the otherwise spacious seating. His most striking feature was his hair, which was coloured silver, almost grey but not in the way her grandfather was. It shone in a way that looked like it was mirroring moonlight, with his jaw and nose bridge well defined. She took one last glance and almost lost control of the car, the vehicle swerving slightly to the left and back again. Her grip on the steering wheel tightened. Maybe she didn't like the fairer after all. Maybe she just wanted to meet someone like this man.

 

 "You're a woman," he said. His voice had a low, almost bass-like quality. Her breathing quickened slightly.

 

 "I'm glad you've noticed," she said dryly. 

 

 "It's just... I've never been in a taxi with a woman driver," he said plainly.

 

 "Well there's a first for everything," she replied, in the same monotone he used. They continued to drive through the streets of Seoul, the buildings becoming smaller and greener, until they reached the Han River. She then paused for a moment, glancing back at the stranger and parked the car. As she pulled the handbrake up, the stranger stirred. 

 

 "W-?" he mumbled. Hyoyeon pulled the cap lower her eyes as she got out the car. She then opened his car door. He looked blearily up at her. "Where the hell are we?"

 

 "Han River," she replied. 

 

 "What the-?" he stuttered, then let out a soft chuckle. "Are you an idiot? I said take me anywhere, not in Seoul. Get it? In case you don't know, this is still Seoul because my Geography skills tell me that-" before he could complete his trash talk with a condescending tone, Hyoyeon yanked him out of the car by his collar, threw him on the floor and slammed the car door. Blood pumped faster inside of her, and she loomed over the handsome stranger.

 

 She grabbed him by the collar. He let out a small gasp. "Don't you dare condescend me, you arrogant little prick," she whispered dangerously. "I'm not an idiot. I took you here for a reason. And I'm going to show you." She then hoisted him on his feet, not even batting an eyelash when he stood almost a foot taller than her. She dragged him by the edge of the River, his getting more feverant as they neared the water's edge. She then kicked the back of his knees, making him hit the floor with a groan. She then dragged his body to the river, dunking his head for a good few seconds and letting him come up again. 

 

 "Do you want to die?!" she screamed at him. When he cursed her and swung for her face, she slapped him with her free hand and dunked him again, this time for a good minute before letting him come up for air again. "I'll ask you again, do you want to die?!"

 

 "You're ing crazy!" he yelled at her, gasping in air.

 

 "You didn't answer my question!" she screamed back. 

 

 "Of course I didn't, you ing !" he roared. "I just wanted to escape from this mess! I didn't want to deal with it, so I'm running away! I don't want to ing die, goddamn it!"

 

 "Well alright!" she pushed him to the water's edge, where he collapsed in a heap of espensive clothing and water. As he lay gasping for air, she sat beside him, looking out to the water and taking steadying breaths. She closed her eyes and thought of her father, how he used to clamp a wet cloth over her face whenever she thought about giving up. She smiled slightly, remembering how much she hated it and gave her the willpower to try harder. Maybe dunking him in the Han River wasn't such a good idea, but... she glanced at him, as he lay still and stared at the sky with his mouth open. At least he looked like he was much more in control.

 

 "You're ing crazy," he repeated, turning his head to look at her. His hair was sopping wet, but looked almost translucent in the moonlight. Hyoyeon wondered why someone this beautiful looked so hopeless a moment ago. "I'll never take a cab again."

 

 She shrugged. "You just got unlucky with me," she said, taking a deep breath. 

 

 "Why did you do that?" he asked.

 

 "When I was young," she said, thinking about her father. "My father used to put a wet cloth over my face whenever I was about to give up. He asked, 'Do you want to die?!' and I'd always yell back no. I used to think he was crazy, but then I realised that he was just trying to teach me a lesson."

 

 He let out a bark of laughter, and she shot him a glare for interrupting her. "The crazy runs in your family! What lesson did he teach you, how to grow gills and breath underwater?!"

 

 She hit the side of his head with a satisfying thump. He reeled back and glared at her, but she continued. "The lesson was that life suffocates you sometimes. If you want to give up, it's quite easy to. But if you try harder, it'll reward you."

 

 He was quiet for a moment. "Was the reward your life?" His tone was light but she heard the mischief in it.

 

 She laughed. "Yes I suppose!" she then grew still. "But I haven't really done much with that gift."

 

 She heard rustling, and then he was upright. They were quiet for a moment, just letting the river flow by and silently enjoying each other's company. She heard him get his phone out, then give out a yelp when he found it still worked. She heard his fingers tap against the glass, "Father?" he said after a moment. "I'm sorry I ran out. I just... I don't want to do it. Yes... yes, I understand. I know Father. But... I have an idea. Please, just listen to me. I'll pitch it to you tomorrow. I promise it'll be good. And no, it doesn't involve marriage." He then got up, and threw his phone into the river. He then turned towards her, grinning widely as he put out a hand.

 

 "Excuse me miss," he said politely. "Would you like to live your life and see some sights with me?"

 

 She smiled. "My father will disagree with your status as a stranger to me. I don't even know your name sir."

 

 He bowed low to her, sprinkling her with some water as he did so. She giggled and he straightened. "Wu Kris, at your service m'lady. After being dunked at a river by a mad taxi driver woman, I've decided to stop living my life like others want me to. Since I am too lazy to drive, and have no intention of taking any valuables with me... would you like to find yourself with me?"

 

 She considered this, and thought of what her friends would think. They'd approve she decided as she took his hand. Maybe she could go for an adventure. Maybe she would like to find herself. And maybe, she thought as she grinned back at this weirdly familiar person, she might even fall in love.

 

 

 


 

A/N: I wrote this one day because I was kinda bored with my life. You know when you're always doing what your parents think, because they say it's good for you and blah blah blahhhh...
I just think, 'Well how would you know? You're not me'. So now I'm going all out in my rebellion and doing things that I know they'll frown upon. Because how will you find yourself if you don't go out and try? How would I know I wouldn't like this certain thing, or find I'm actually good at... I don't know... ICE HOCKEY? 
A little rebellion is good guys! Make sure you keep life interesting! 

 

Many thanks for reading this short one-shot. ^ ^
(And very sorry about the delay!)