From Behind The Door

From Behind The Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                       

It didn't matter how old I got it seemed like I never grew tired of being scared of the monsters under the bed nor did I stop having imaginary friends to rescue me from the creatures unseen.

The fears of everyday life were nothing compared to the memories hidden away in the depths of a mind, I had a collision with this harsh truth that I would never forget.

    As the months went by I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say or do to make the questions like "Do you need help?", "Where does it hurt?" or ,my favourite, "Are you okay?" go away. I figured if I found a pattern or routine like before maybe they'd leave me alone.

All I had was this apartment that was not particularly old but certain things kept breaking and needing repair so I tried to repair as much as I could on my own. The problems that were harder to fix were in one room, my bedroom where there was a flickering light that made the room darker than it already was, the thermostat was on and off making the entire place freezing cold from time to time and the front door stuck occasionally. Beside the flaws everything from the kitchen counters to the sink in the bathroom was spotless and every piece of furniture was always in its place no matter the occasion. 

.    I wasn't too thrilled early Monday morning to get up and go to work but if I didn't the questions would start again. Yes I had been lame enough to get myself involved with an abusive man, big deal, but the pity was not needed. 

I slapped on some make-up to cover up the remaining scratches along my cheekbones. I looked at myself in the mirror and practised my 'customer friendly smile. I cleared my throat and spoke as confidently as I could appear to be, "Hello, welcome to Wales and West Utilities, how can I help you"

I screwed my face and thought to myself, I hate this job but I need it.

The light blinked while I was combing my hair and the room went dark for a while. I felt a chill creep up my spine and I quickly picked up my bag walking out of my room.

At work it was the same as usual but I couldn't help but hear the whispers in the mail room and see the sad eyes cast on me occasionally.

The damage had been done over three months but it appeared like I was the only one over it. 

When I hopped off at my stop after work, I held the jacket close to my body as I walked to my apartment building. I started to hear footsteps behind me getting closer and closer gradually. I wasn't worried at first until the mysterious person followed me off the main road and into my street. At this stage I had quickened my pace reaching into my bag for my keys at the same time. I basically sprinted into the entrance of the building heading straight for the stairs.

Damn you Landlord for not putting in an elevator. 

I wondered if the person could just be someone else on my floor but why keep a steady pace with me.

I fumbled with the keys at the door as it refused to open.

Great timing, what exactly was going on, a stranger was tailing me and my front door was throwing a tantrum?

"Do you need help with that?" a velvety voice came from behind me. I spun around to see a dark haired man towering over me in the dim lights of the hallway with a somewhat amused look on his face.

"Nope, I'm fine" I answered looking back at the door again.

"Are you sure?" He asked leaning against the wall near me while cracking a smirk that was somehow charming.

There was a bit of hesitation because I didn't know this guy but I was so tired and time could only tell how long I would last before I kicked the door down myself. I looked him up and down once more and he seemed harmless to me. I stepped aside and told him to be my guest in trying to get this door open.

As soon as he turned the key the lock rendered to his touch and he pushed the door open.

"How did y-" I started completely amazed.

"I'm a handyman I tend to fix things, I guess" he moved so I could stand in the doorway. He didn't even try to invite himself in or anything like the creep I initially took him for. 

"Thank you...." I stopped because I didn't even know his name. 

As if catching on he replied," Kai, I'm Kai" he announced smiling and time stood still just for the two of us like if we had met before. 

"Uh-" I stuttered, "I'm Krystal" I looked down at my feet nervously. When I was about to ask if we knew each other from somewhere, I glanced back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter