Forget Me

Forget Me

 

 

It has been a week since he died. Things have never been the same since. The space beside him felt so empty. His hands felt so cold. The air conditioning was turned off but the chill in him would not go away. The room was oddly silent. His unique laughter no longer permeated the air. It was just too quiet. Through it all, the box remained untouched, lying on the centre of the table since it was brought into the house.

 

As usual, Yoochun ignored it. Its presence was nothing but a hindrance in his sight. It was the inevitable reality that he was gone and that was a fact he was not willing to accept anytime soon. He did not care what they say. Junsu was not dead. He promised him that he would never leave him and Junsu never broke his promise. Ever.

 

"Ding dong!"

 

The doorbell rang, slicing through the silence like a knife through butter. Still, Yoochun did not make a single move. It was not the sound he wanted to hear. Where was the laughter that he desperately missed? Where was his beloved? Why was Junsu taking so long to come home?

 

"Yoochun ah, how are you doing these few days?" Jaejoong greeted him, having opened the door himself with the spare key he was given, "Have you eaten anything?"

 

Silence answered him. Still smiling, Jaejoong placed his groceries on the table before approaching the lone figure on the sofa.

 

"So you haven't eaten anything yet right?"

 

"...."

 

"Yoochun ah," Jaejoong whispered as he laid a hand on Yoochun's shoulder, "Hyung's talking to you here."

 

Yoochun parted his lips, letting a single puff of breath out, "Jaejoong hyung, Junsu's still not home yet and it's already so late. Do you think he's staying out tonight?"

 

Staring into the eyes that were filled with much hope, Jaejoong felt his eyes water as he swallowed the tears that formed in his throat.

 

"Yoochun ah," Jaejoong struggled to retain his composure, "J-Jun- Junsu's not coming back anymore."

 

"So he's staying out then?"

 

Yoochun immediately retorted, rendering Jaejoong speechless.

 

"Yoochun..."

 

"Oh well," Yoochun laughed at his own idiocy, "in that case I better eat up and wait for him then. I wouldn't want to faint while waiting for him right?"

 

No. I would not want you to faint. Jaejoong silently mused, watching the back of as he took the ingredients out from the plastic bags and set them on the kitchen counter.

 

"But for how long more can you lie to yourself, Yoochun ah? You know the cruel truth deep inside you, don't you?"

 

"The cruel truth that he's gone."

 

Jaejoong closed his eyes, letting that single trail of tears roll down his cheeks.

 

Junsu.

 

If only you were here, you would know what to do right?

 

Our Junsu...

 

Our Angel Xiah...

 

Our precious member...

 

Kim Junsu. The laughter of Dong Bang Shin Ki.

 

Whatever would we do without you?

 

-*-

 

It had been hours since Jaejoong left his house and Yoochun's still sitting on the sofa, patiently waiting for his beloved's return. He does not understand the wayward glances that Jaejoong gives him throughout their dinner together today. He does not understand why Jaejoong always wears a sad expression in his eyes when he looks at him. Was he pitiful? Yoochun does not comprehend, nor does he want to. Jaejoong seems to be influenced by the rest these days. They keep lying to him that Junsu is dead. Why won't they believe him? Junsu is not dead and he was coming home! It was only a matter of time and he would prove it to them.

 

Junsu was definitely coming home!

 

Staring at the clock as the minutes whizzed by, fatigue eventually caught up to Yoochun as he gradually shut his eyelids, giving in to the urge to sleep for once...

 

"Chunnie."

 

 Yoochun whirled around, his eyes wide open. Did he just hear Junsu's voice just now or was it a mere illusion? Standing up, he found himself standing in a black abyss, surrounded by nothing but darkness.

 

"Junsu! Junsu! Are you here? Junsu! Answer me!"

 

Yoochun screamed as he ran around blindly, calling the name of his beloved fervently.

 

"Junsu yah! Junsu! Where are you now? Junsu!"

 

He continued hollering as he fumbled around in the darkness, "Junsu my love, can you hear me?"

 

There was nothing but silence that greeted him; black suffocating silence.

 

"Junsu! I am here. Park Yoochun your lover is here. Are you here as well? Junsu yah!"

 

Yoochun's screams were loud and piercing at this point, his voice having gone hoarse from the previous minutes of shouting he had done.

 

"Junsu ah! Don't you care about me anymore? Why aren't you here? Why aren't you answering me? Junsu yah. You're my life you know that? I can't live without you. That's why, Junsu, please return. Please answer. JUNSU AH, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE ARE YOU RIGHT NOW!"

 

He cried just as he collapsed into a heap on the ground. The tears flowed freely down his cheeks as he punched the floor repeatedly with his fists, ignoring the puddle of blood that had formed from the red liquid dripping from his fists.

 

"Junsu yah," Yoochun mumbled to himself, "Why won't you just appear?"

 

"Why won't you just return?"

 

Why?

 

-*-

 

Waking up to an onslaught of tears, Yoochun wiped the evidence away, knowing it would make Junsu worry if he saw the tear stains on his face. Although he knew without a doubt that Junsu would find it hilarious that he had actually dreamed of his death, Yoochun did not want to show Junsu how much the thought of Junsu's death actually scared him. His pride mattered much to him after all. Besides, Junsu would just fret over him if that was the case and though that was endearing, it was highly unnecessary.

 

Washing his face with clear water after he brushed his teeth, Yoochun glanced up at the mirror and stared at his haggard reflection. Lifting a finger, he touched the surface of the mirror with the tip of his finger and began tracing his reflection in the mirror. The eyes that stared back at him had no ounce of life in them. It was as though his eyes had betrayed his true feelings. It was as though he was accepting the fact that he died. It was as though Junsu was never gonna come back again.

 

Prang!

 

The mirror shattered into a million pieces with one single blow. Removing his fist from the mirror, Yoochun stared at it blankly before turning the tap on and sticking his hand under the water to wash off the blood. His mind was empty as the blood flowed on, mixing with the running stream of water to give a pale pink colour. Staring into the air listlessly, a few minutes passed before Yoochun recollected himself and remembered to switch the tap of running water off. Wiping his hand on a clean towel, he marked the white surface of the cloth with his blood stains before hanging it up where it belonged.

 

"Junsu."

 

He muttered under his breath as he walked out of the bathroom door to the living room's sofa. Once again, he sat there, his legs tucked in as he scrutinised the door, observing any slight movement or changes it made. Silence filled the air as Yoochun's heart palpitated quickly, his hands clenched around his elbows. To his left, the box remained on the table; unopened with the seal attached.

 

When, Junsu?

 

He stared at the door before him.

 

When will you finally come home?

 

-*-

 

"Yoochun! Yoochun! Are you okay?"

 

Grabbed by the shoulders, Yoochun blinked his eyes a few times before his vision focused and he could see the blur figure that was shaking him furiously. His jaw gaped open. It was his Yunho hyung, but that could not be possible could it? They had not met in years now, why would he suddenly appear in his life again? What in the world was going on?

 

"Yunho hyung.."

 

"Oh God Yoochun," Yunho sighed in relief as he hugged Yoochun tightly, the heat emanating from his body pressed directly against Yoochun's cold one, "I thought you were.."

 

Yunho choked on his tears as he struggled to articulate the word, "I thought you were.. You were..."

 

"Dead."

 

Yoochun finished it for him, startling Yunho who was still leaving him no room to breathe with that snug embrace of his, "You thought I was dead."

 

Laughing shakily, Yunho released Yoochun, wiping his tears away, "Yes. Foolish of me isn't it? You would never do something like that. I'm so dumb."

 

Staring at Yunho's rarely seen tears, Yoochun felt a piece of his heart break. The numbness in his heart began to fade away by a little and for the first time in a week, he felt a sharp sensation of pain in his heart. Turning his head away, Yoochun faced the window as he uttered, causing Yunho to cry even harder.

 

"I won't die hyung," Yoochun whispered into the air, his voice shaky but stable, "I still have him as a reason to live for. I can't die now. I need to live for him."

 

"I need to live for Junsu." Yoochun turned around, a wide grin on his face as he uttered the statement, not noticing the stray tears that have leaked out of the corners of his eyes.

 

Lowering his head, Yunho got up and patted him on the shoulders, leaving Yoochun to stare at the pink hues of the sunset outside the window. Smiling bitterly, Yunho walked to the kitchen as he brought his bag of ingredients along with him, the lone shadow of Yoochun reflected on the walls behind him.

 

"Someday, you'll accept it right? You'll accept it and move on like what others would do."

 

Yunho let the tears he struggled to keep at bay fall as he saw Yoochun moving away from the window and sitting at his usual position on the sofa once more.

 

"Someday, you'll see that Junsu's not really gone."

 

-*-

 

Yoochun stared at Yunho, his brows creasing slightly. Unlike his dinner with Jaejoong, Yunho did not shower him with any pitiful looks nor any odd looks of sadness. Instead, the conversation at the table remained cheery and light, something that Yunho hyung would not usually do. Puzzled, Yoochun was just about to question Yunho on it when Yunho abruptly stopped his motions of eating and stared at Yoochun sternly, his arms crossed.

 

"Say Yoochun, how long do you reckon one takes to accept death?"

 

Stunned, Yoochun remained silent; Yunho's question had stumped him speechless.

 

Sensing Yoochun's reluctance to answer, Yunho smiled, dissipating the tense atmosphere instantly.

 

"They say there are five stages to grief, Yoochun ah: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance." Yunho listed off his head, "Since uri Yoochunnie has been through three of them already, I guess all that's left is bargaining then finally acceptance huh?"

 

Acceptance of what?

 

The words almost left Yoochun's mouth before he remembered that Yunho was probably tricked into thinking that Junsu had died too. Giving Yunho a slight smile, he nodded his head in agreement before he saw Yunho out of the door, telling him he could come back any time. Then, clearing the dishes, he placed all the plates and stacked them together before carrying them to the kitchen at once. Blinded partially by the huge stack of plates he was carrying, Yoochun failed to notice that his little silver band had slipped off his finger throughout the course of handling and had landed on the box that was left untouched for two weeks since it was in the house. And so, the couple ring was left abandoned as Yoochun washed the dishes in the kitchen, unaware of the missing object on his finger...

 

"Chunnie, here's our couple rings!" Junsu announced happily, shoving the ring in his hands.

 

"Couple rings?" Yoochun questioned incredulously, staring at the foreign object before him, "Who told you to get them?"

 

"Jaejoong hyung!" Junsu chirped in reply, "He said it was a token to symbolise our love. He even paid for it!"

 

Yoochun heaved a deep sigh as the enthusiasm on Junsu's part literally lit his whole face up.

 

"Fine, I'll take it, but tell hyung not to do this the next time."

 

Junsu smirked to himself.

 

Mission Accomplished.

 

"Sure of course," Junsu replied, missing out the part where he begged Jaejoong to help him out in his quest of wearing couple rings.

 

-*-

 

It had been 3 weeks since they said that he died and Junsu had not returned home once. Still, Yoochun was at his usual spot waiting and he was not intending to budge any time soon. No one could convince him to stop. He was determined to wait for his love. It did not matter if he lost his ring a week ago. It did not matter if people called him stupid or dumb. He would prove them all wrong. Junsu would return and he would be the one laughing at them, calling them out for their idiocy. He was sure of it. Junsu would not leave Yoochun alone. It was unthinkable.

 

"Junsu, surely you would come home right?"

 

Yoochun mumbled to himself as his eyes focused on the door ahead, "I just have to wait and surely, certainly, you will return to my side soon."

 

Yoochun kept repeating that sentence under his breath as he stared at the door, the tears that were forming in his eyes obscuring his vision.

 

"You're gonna come back to me one day right?"

 

The tears just kept flowing as the door remained unmoved.

 

"You're.. g-gonna come back," Yoochun continued brokenly, "Cause you have to. J-Junsu, remember? Y-you promised me! You freaking promised me you wouldn't leave me! You can't do this to me now!"

 

"JUNSU!"

 

He hollered, the shout echoing against the empty walls that surrounded him. There was no one here. There were not even shadows. The room had no light source. He was enshrouded in darkness. He was left alone. It was just him and the door.

 

Straggling to the door, Yoochun held the doorknob tight as he leaned against the wall, his breathing heavy.

 

"If I open the door, you'll be there right? If I open the door, you'll be there greeting me with open arms right? Remember our tradition Junsu," Yoochun smiled as the tears rolled down his eyes, "Remember what we used to do together? Remember our first date? We were so happy back then Junsu yah. We were still with Yunho hyung and Changmin and we had the blast of a time. They accepted us so readily and supported our relationship. Do you still remember how happy you were?"

 

"It was the first time I've seen you so happy, Junsu. I never thought I would not see that smile ever again. I thought we would brave through it all. In the end, we didn't did we? All because of the lawsuit, we spent the last three years of our life crying because we didn't have a stage and laughing because we at least have our individual mediums to perform for the public."

 

"I remembered your musical, Junsu yah. I remembered you acting as Death. I remembered your excellent singing. I can still recall the smile on your face when you bowed after the end of the performance. I can remember everything Junsu yah, I remember..."

 

"But what use is it to me now, Junsu ah? What use is it if remembering is causing me so much pain.."

 

Yoochun flung the door open in a single motion.

 

"What use is it opening this door if you're not standing behind it?"

 

"You're not coming home aren't you?" he whispered to the empty space presented before him, his hands trembling as he struggled to wipe his tears away, "You're never coming back."

 

My Kim Junsu...

 

Gone.

 

Dead.

 

No.

 

NEVER!

 

Banging his fists against the door repeatedly, Yoochun howled with grief and rage as he let go of all the emotions that were swivelling in him, his tirade unstoppable.

 

"Why? WHY?" he screamed as he continued the door, "Why did you leave me here alone? Kim Junsu! Why did you leave me here to die? WHY?"

 

Yoochun continued hollering, all the thoughts in him bursting out of his mouth at once.

 

"WHY DID YOU ABANDON ME?"

 

Yoochun crumpled to the floor in despair.

 

"Why did you make me fall in love with you?"

 

"Why?"

 

He continued mumbling under his breath, not noticing the presence of someone appearing at the front of his doorstep, nor the arms that had wordlessly lifted him up and carried him to bed. If he had, he probably would have been in shock, for in the first time in his life, he would have witnessed the legendary maknae of his sobbing like a newborn baby.

 

See, Junsu?

 

What have you done to us here?

 

We are all going crazy because of you.

 

Please come back.

 

Our Angel Xiah...

 

We really cannot live without you.

 

-*-

 

"So you're gonna leave this here?" Yunho questioned Yoochun as he helped him heaved yet another box and load it into the waiting car outside Yoochun's house.

 

"Oh? This box?" Yoochun frowned as he glanced at the box that Yunho was referring to, "I guess we can just leave it here?"

 

"But wouldn't it be bet-"

 

Jaejoong hushed Yunho instantaneously with a smack on his shoulder. Staring at Yoochun, they then realised that Yoochun had gone oddly silent and his face had wore an expression that spoke of melancholy. There was no doubt who was the sender of the box now. Turning their gazes away from Yoochun, the pair silently left the room as they left Yoochun alone to his thoughts.

 

Their escape had gone unnoticed as Yoochun focused on the box before him, his thoughts slightly out of place. He had opened it three days before and had even asked Changmin to accompany him, afraid of what he would find in there and how it would affect him. In the end, his anxiety was for naught. There was nothing inside the box but a single note that wrote:

 

Forget me.

 

Yoochun chuckled out loud. It was only two words yet it encompassed the answers to all the questions that Yoochun had to ask Junsu:

 

Why did you have to leave me?

 

Forget me.

 

Why couldn't you come home?

 

Forget me.

 

Why did you have to die?

 

Forget me.

 

How do I move on now?

 

Forget me.

 

Can I really leave this all behind?

 

Forget me.

 

Back then, Yoochun had laughed the moment he had read the note, leaving a puzzled Changmin sulking beside him. In the end, only Junsu understood him the most out of all. He had singlehandedly predicted the questions Yoochun would ask and summarised his answer all in two words: Forget me.

 

Still laughing to himself, Yoochun then placed the note back in its place and closed the box, resealing it with masking tape. Then, picking up his phone, he called Yunho and Jaejoong, knowing that both of them were extremely worried about his well being and knew that they would not hesitate to get him another place to stay if he needed one.

 

"See, Junsu?" Yoochun smiled as he returned to the present, his eyes on the box that was tucked away in the corner that was hidden yet blatantly displayed, "I'm moving on as you told me too. I'm gaining strength every single day. I've finally stopped crying and blaming myself for your death. That's why, I thank you for all this. Thanks for leading me to the start of my new journey. Thanks for always assuring my fears. Thanks for being you."

 

Bending forward, Yoochun laid a kiss on the cardboard skin of the box, his lips curved into a smile.

 

"Farewell my love, till the ends we meet again..."

 

-*-

 

"Forget me?" Changmin inspected the note, frowning at Yoochun's beaming face that spoke of pride, "He took one whole box to contain only a single note that's not more than 17cm in length?"

 

Yoochun laughed, "Changmin ah, there's a reason why Junsu does this. It's not completely irrational."

 

"Oh?"  Changmin crossed his arms, his eyebrows raised, "Pray tell then what might that reason be?"

 

Yoochun answered instantly, "Simply because he knows no one loves him like I do."

 

"What?" Changmin shouted back, his eyes bulging out of its sockets, "How can that even be a valid reason?"

 

"It is one for me." Yoochun interrupted before he strolled off, one hand waving Changmin goodbye as he got closer and closer to the door.

 

I will never forget you Junsu. Yoochun smiled, taking a deep breath of fresh air in. I know now that remembering you is the only way to move on.

 

"Forget me" when sealed = No "Forget me" = Don't "Forget me" = Always remember me.

 

Junsu was always a simpleminded person after all.

 

The End.

 

Author's Note: Well, I don't know what possessed me to write this. :( This is the first time I'm actually killing Junsu off and I couldn't help but stop writing at a few points simply because I couldn't imagine Junsu dying. :( Dammit. :( Not doing this ever again! >< Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it regardless. :D Thanks for reading)