Word Problem

Word Problem - Myungsoo

Geometry wasn’t your favorite subject, actually it was very far from it! Loving being able to draw and color in your artworks in class was the only positive thing, well besides this really cute guy that you had seen sit in front of you. All your attention went to him as you loved the way he tried so hard on the problems and always got them right. Well, when the quarter ended, grade reports came out and your parents weren’t very happy. Quickly they emailed the teacher and let Mr. Jung know that you would really like to raise your grade and have a tutor. Without a second thought, your teacher, Mr. Jung paired you with Myungsoo.

The next day you went to class and sticky notes were laid on the desks with the class members names written on them. On the very far side of the classroom, you finally found your name. Sitting your chair against the wall, you watched the kids file in and find their new seats. Myungsoo walked in and you rolled your eyes at the classic student that all the teachers and parents loved. He walked up and skimmed the name on each tag before walking over to you and taking the seat next to you.

Observing every move of his with exactness, you watched him pull out his books and look over his homework assignment before he perforated the edges and gently pulled the paper from his notebook.

Mr. Jung walked up to your conjoined desk with Myungsoo as you looked up at the teacher and politely bowed.

”________ I would like you to meet your personal tutor, Myungsoo. You two will stay after class together for an hour and a half everyday until you finish your homework and understand the material that you both do in class. If you have any questions please come to me.” Mr. Jung said as you bowed to him in agreement as Myungsoo did the same.

The class began to start as Mr. Jung started his lecture. Myungsoo began to observe you and your class skills. Drawing in the margins, just random people and your name from time to time before he leaned over to you and whispered close to your ear.

"Why don’t you try to take some notes, you might learn something." With a shrug of your shoulders you went back to drawing and paying no mind to the teacher. Myungsoo watched you a little more before going back to his work.

As class ended you both sat still as the class was dismissed. You both sat still as Myungsoo opened his book and started his homework.

"Did your parents want you tutored or do you want it?" Myungsoo looked you dead in the eyes as he waited for your answer.

"My parents wanted me too." You shied away and wrote the assignment on the top of your paper.

"That is what I thought. So lets make your parents happy eh?" He nodded as you followed him. Diving right into the homework he explained the problems to you and what his thinking was as you started to understand bits and pieces of the homework a little more clearly.

Weeks passed as you started to understand more in class, asking Myungsoo more and more questions during class and after. Myungsoo began to see a new side of you; not just the selfish, not caring type, but the sweet, loving, beautiful person that you were.

During your study sessions, Myungsoo moved closer to you while he watched you do the problems. His hands would rest over yours as he taught you how to use a compass and a protractor to help you solve the problems. The little things that he did while you two were working together were so subtle that you didn’t pick them up. Myungsoo waited for the days that he would get to see you and spend more time with you as his heart raced when you whispered a question into his ear during class.

On a warm, spring day. Myungsoo took his books outside as you followed him.

"I thought it would be a nice change to do our homework outside today." Myungsoo said as he sat by a tree and opened up his books.

"It is a beautiful day for it." You commented as you sat next to him. He shared his book with you as today was word problems.

"So the word problem says: If there is a couple and the boy had flowers and the girl was at a 179 degree angle to him, how long would it take her to get to her boyfriend if she has to walk an arch to him." Myungsoo read it as he then looked at you as you skimmed the problem again.

"Why don’t we act this one out, it might help you visualize it and help you learn too." Myungsoo offered as you nodded.

"That would be great, I just can’t picture word problems." You embarrassingly said. Myungsoo handed you a piece of chalk as you walked to the nearby basketball court.

"Ok, let’s start at this point here." He drew a dot with the chalk. "Then we have to have a straight line." He drug his chalk behind him as he walked along the basketball court. "The problem calls for 50 ft so I think that this is enough. So grab the protractor and start a line at 179 degrees."

Lining up the protractor to the line that he drew you started to draw a straight line out fifty feet and then stood where you ended.

"Great! Now you need to draw in arch to me." Myungsoo said as he drew the shape of an arch in the air with his finger. You nodded and turned around to draw and arch to him as he watched you carefully. Once you finished you looked at Myungsoo who had written down a formula to help you with the problem.

"Once you solve this, I will give you a little surprise." He knelt down as you sat on the cool concrete and nodded working on the problem as you asked him occasionally to help you with the calculations. Once you figured it out he asked you to go to where the ‘girlfriend’ was supposed to be and he was going to be the ‘boyfriend’. Timing her, Myungsoo held a sunflower behind his back as she walked to him, proving that they were correct. Soon you reached him and you looked at him with hopeful eyes.

"So… how did I do?" You asked as you played with your fingers.

"You calculated it perfectly." He revealed the flower from behind his back.

Your eyes widened as you looked down at the flower as everything hit you, hard. He wanted you to be his girlfriend, he wanted to be your boyfriend, he wanted you to be together, no matter how far apart you are.

"Myungsoo?" Looking at him with your tilted head and confused face he smiled kindly at you as he bit his lip, gathering his thoughts before he continued.

"I am so glad that I had the chance to meet you through tutoring. I have loved being able to work with you and to find a new side of you. I have loved seeing you grow through your homework and understand what is being said. It has been an honor for me to work with an acute angle like you.” He chuckled at his own joke as you broke your confused mold and smiled gently. “But there is one proof that I would like you to figure out for me.”

"Sure." You shifted on your feet as you smiled at him.

"If I like you, then will you like me back?" He looked at you sincerely as your stomach did flips but also felt so relaxed, your heart took over your mind as you took the flower from his hand and smiled at it.

"I think that the proof you are trying to have me solve is very, very, very true." You blushed as he smiled at you, one of the rare sights that you have seen.