INTRO: Our Eyes Play Tricks on Us...

Breathe for Me

The further it got to the end of the year, the cooler the weather got and the shorter the days, but Jongdae was prepared. Bundled up in a woolen coat and scarf as he tromped his way down the sidewalk. The trees swayed sprinkling leaves across the road while the wind nipped at the back of Jongdae's neck where this scarf and collar had left a gap. He shuddered and adjusted his scarf. "So much for summer," he said as he check the time one his phone. It was only six in the evening but the sky was already its deepest shade of indigo speckled with a few stars that weren't washed out by the glow of the city.

 

Jongdae put his phone back in this pocket and bustled down the quiet sidewalk. Usually he would have gotten a ride home from his mom but he didn't think of that before agreeing to a spur of the moment tutoring session in Spanish by the request of Daehyun, ten minutes before school was over. It was ok because Daehyun's house wasn't that far away from his house, just a couple blocks and a left at the stop sign. 8 minutes. Jongdae knew that because he was timing himself. 

 

Before crossing the street Jongdae looked both ways, checking for cars before stepping into the street but for some reason he felt he was being followed. He shook his head a bit and started humming a tune. There was nobody outside in this weather, he had just walked six minutes without being bothered, no need to be paranoid now. The more Jongdae thought about it, the more nervous he got. His palms got a little sweaty when he tugged his jacket closer to him. His stomach was fluttering lightly and he chewed on his bottom lip as his house came into view. Jongdae discreetly felt for his house keys in his pocket, hearing leaving crunch and exhaling small clouds that disappeared as they came.  As he stepped he watched his footsteps and he could have sworn that his shadow doubled when he passed beneath the streetlamp. Jongdae blinked quickly and kept his eyes on the shadow thinking his eyes were just playing tricks on him, because it didn't look unusual any longer. He just needed to get home, this darkness was messing with his sanity. A gust of wind whistled through the trees, hugging Jongdae's ankles before melting away. That was when Jongdae heard the crackle of a dry leave being trampled upon and he abruptly spun around, no longer resisting the urge. His heart was racing and he could no longer breathe through his nose. With a gaping mouth, Jongdae eyes widened as he peered at the space behind him, Jongdae couldn't believe what he saw.

 

Nothing.

 

There was no one following him. He was just paranoid. His feet were rooted firmly on the ground with one hand gripping the strap of his backpack and the other clutched around the key to his house. He panted, slightly winded from the fear, but there was no one.  Jongdae's eyes darted from the trees, to the lampposts, to the bushes and the cars parked across the street.

 

No one. 

 

"Seriously," Jongdae sighed, relaxing his grip on this backpack, "I am out here worried for absolutely nothing." He shook his head, and walked backwards before hopping up the steps to his house and taking his keys out. Just to be safe he turned around once more and checked behind himself, then turned with a laugh. "Oh, why do I even do this to myself. I'm letting my thoughts get away from me again. I refuse to see something that's not even there… Why do I do this to myself? Stupid Jongdae, calm yourself!" Putting the key in the lock, he quickly and quietly opened the door with a soft click, stepping out of his shoes and  reaching for the hallway light at the same time. "Mom is gonna laugh at this later, oh my god," He tossed his backpack to the side while turning checking out the door once more for anyone before closing it, and locking the deadbolt with a solid click. 

 

Jongdae walked to the kitchen in his socks, clicking his tongue and calling for his cat, "Mona Lisa~ appa is home. Did you miss me?" Said grey cat was in the empty sink sleeping in a ball and barely opened an eye when her owner entered the kitchen, completely disinterested in Jongdae. Nonetheless, he continued talking, "Did mom tell you when she would be back? Left a message or something?" He opened the refrigerator and stood there thinking shortly before grabbing a bottle of cranberry grape juice and going to pick up the cat.  "You missed appa didn't you Mona?" He snuggled his nose to hers and tucked a bag of cheese curls beneath his arm. "Appa, missed you too Mona. Shh," He put this finger to her lips as he walked to the living room, "You don't have to say any more. I understand." Mona just turned her eyes to the bag of cheese curls and Jongdae his teeth. "Geesh woman, you act like I don't feed you at all. " He ripped open the bag and tossed a few chips in his mouth, holding a chip out for Mona to take which she promptly did.

 

Jongdae the television kicked off his socks. He never was a a fan of them anyway. There were a couple of movies on that Jongdae flipped through before his phone hummed in his pocket.  He passed the chip to Mona and swiped his phone, "Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Yes, I would like a medium pizza with everything on it, please.," a feminine voice sang.

 

"Mom." Jongdae replied dully.

 

"Oh, every time I call this number there is no pizza. I am saddened." she replied with a laugh.

 

"Are you on break?" Jongdae was reclined on the couch, rubbing his foot against Mona while he chatted.

 

"No, I'm not on break I was just checking on you when I got a free moment. Did you eat?" 

 

"I'm eating now, " Jongdae purposefully shoved a cheese curl into his mouth and munched into the receiver.

 

"Chips are not food, Jongdae," She replied sternly.

 

"I'm not that hungry, mom, " Jongdae fed another chip to Mona when she finished her last one, "I'll make a sandwich later okay?"

 

"Sure… well, I gotta go soon, did you lock the door?" She asked.

 

Jongdae moved the phone to his other ear while stretching onto his stomach along the couch, there was a werewolf movie on the TV when he finally settled on a channel, "Yes mother."

 

"Did you cut on the outdoor lights?" She asked quickly.

 

"Yes mom," he lied, telling himself he'd do it before she got home. He was too comfortable too move, besides, the movie was starting.

 

"Jongdae. Go turn on the lights outdoors. Now." Of course she knew when he was lying, even over the phone she was sharp.  

 

"Ugh you always tell me when I'm comfortable," Jongdae grumbled softly, walking to the door and carelessly flipping on the outdoor lights.

 

"If you would have did it when I said, then you wouldn't have to get up right now." She didn't have any time for her son's sass, "Next time, don't forget. And give Mona Lisa some new water before you got to bed." 

 

"Mhm, I will mom." Jongdae flicked the light switch off in the living room and bounced onto the couch yet again to get comfortable. He rolled his eyes and his hand made a talking motion when he looked at Mona  who was awaiting another cheese curl.

 

"You better not forget. Okay, so goodnight and I love you. And don't stay up too late. And don't eat all of those chips!" She made a kissing noise over the receiver, "I'll talk to you later okay?"

 

Jongdae nodded, realizing she couldn't see him before uttering a 'yes mother, love you too' and hanging up the phone. He eyes were fixated on the television screen as the female lead tiptoed around the house after barely escaping the werewolf. Jongdae's eyes where watching unblinkingly as she heard a rustling sound and went to open the door where it came from. "Oh nooo, don't go in there," he shouted, "THE MONSTER'S IN THERE GIRL, RUN!" He had one arm wrapped a throw pillow, when she twisted the knob, Jongdae held his breath praying that it wasn't the werewolf when something warm, soft and sharp attached itself to the finger of his other arm. He jumped nearly a foot off the couch and gasped. 

 

"MONA," He exclaimed, "CAN YOU JUST NOT. SHEESH, you scared the STUFFING out of me!" He had underestimated how much Mona loved cheese curls, and him denying her anymore just had her looking for other means of satisfying her craving. "WARN me next time woman! I'm trying to watch a movie here. Gosh!"  Mona recoiled and turned her nose up, padding away into the kitchen. "Don't sass me, Mona! Mona come back I was only joking you know you're the only one for meeeee~" Jongdae laughed and held out his hands for her as she disappeared into the kitchen, blatantly ignoring her owner.

 

He reached for his bottle of juice and sat up with a laugh. Mona never listened too him much anyway, "You shouldn't have a favorite Mona! I love you too you know, not just mom!" Figuring that she probably wouldn't comeback, Jongdae reclined again and turned back to the movie. She had scared him but apparently he had been getting spooked a lot every since he had come from Daehyun's house. "When did I become such a fraidy cat?" Jongdae sighed, ruffling he hair and crossing his legs, completely unaware of the tall figure directly behind him, watching him through the window, unblinkingly, softly fogging the glass.

 

 


 

I would love to hear your thoughts, as I haven't ever written something like this, also... I might be a bit rusty, eh? OTL.
I've only tagged, Chen and Daehyun is mentioned, so you guys can guess who you think the stalker is, if you don't know already.
Not like I even gave you guys a good clue or anything. Why am I saying you guys, when omg. I just started. OTL. 
Forgive me.  

CheeDragon.