Who's in your list

No Strings Attached

“Qiannie” a familiar sing-song voice interrupts her thoughts.

She picks the chocolate bar from the vendor machine and tosses it into her clutch before turning around, staring through her shades. Seeing one of her best friend waving at her, Victoria gracefully pulls off the sunglass and slips it around her long necklace; revealing her unsightly eye bags she desperately tries to hide “Kyuhyun” she gives a small curious nod, quirking her crafted brows slightly. As soon as he reaches her, she rubs her nose and asks “Are you drunk?”

Donning his favorite black tee, matched with a pair of dark hue jeans, he looks ordinarily plain for a member of international-fame Super Junior. Well, Kyuhyun always looks rather ordinary especially if compared to Hyukjae. He’s worst when he’s on his off day, lazing around in his sweatpants, curling in front of his laptop. But her eyes are sharp enough to notice his flustered face at that very moment “I’m not” he scoffs.

 

It is too early to get drunk anyway. But from the sweet familiar smell, Victoria knows that her friend been drinking. ‘Most probably with Changmin’ she thought bitterly. They used to enjoy drinking after work together, just to release off steams. Used to…

 

Closing the already small gap, he snatches Victoria’s arm, wrapping it around his as he tugs her close and drags her along the usual rowdy corridor; ignoring the curios stares from passerby. Though their friendship are well known within SME, but public displays of affections still garners unwanted attention. Always caring of what others might say, she normally will ensure there’s a certain distance within her and any male idol; but nothing in her life been normal lately.

 

 “You really need to do something with those hideous eye bags. Trouble sleeping?” he said bluntly, nodding back to the few staffs passing by.

Victoria purses her lips consciously, wondering how to react towards the overly-friendly-Kyuhyun, which never been a good sign “Not really. Just crazy schedule”

A sudden jab on her ribs almost makes her yelps in agony "You don't expect me to believe that do you?" Kyuhyun gives a boring smirk before rolling his eyes. "It's the breakup right?"

"What breakup?" Victoria tries to maintain a cool and aloof tone. Slightly annoys with herself failing to hide her emotions. But then again, it’s not like she needs to hide things from him. Kyuhyun knows every single detail of her breakup; it was with his best friend after all. 

A haughty laughter escapes the other guy throat as he pulls Victoria closer "Yeah, I can see you’ve moved on pretty well."

Her hair waves as she shakes her head “Seriously, you need to get a life.” She then added in with a smaller voice “It’s been a month already. I’m alright, really.”
“I’m not saying that you’re not” Kyuhyun pats her arms “but I think counting fluffy sheep before going to sleep is such a bad way to curb ones insomnia. And from your skinny arms, I know you’ve been skipping meals as well.”

Victoria exhales deeply, decides to give in to whatever the guy has in mind “I guess you have better idea then.”

“” Kyuhyun declares aloud, oblivious to the bewildered and curious stares they garnered from the onlooker.

Victoria feels like banging her head to the wall instead “I was expecting a much ingenious answer from you.”

He stirs her away from the busy corridor, heading toward the main lobby, hoping to get quiet seat there. Unfortunately for them, the hall is just as crowded and hectic like other parts of SME. Seeing the situation at hand, Kyuhyun releases his grip on Victoria and walks over to one of the corner even though it is occupied.

 

But being in a Super Junior has it perks; the trainees instantly got onto their feet, bow to him before making their moves, clearing the area as if quarantine is in need. Kyuhyun excitedly waves to Victoria, signaling her to join him at the newly vacant area.

Victoria huffs in silence, heading towards the guy. Kyuhyun settles in the two sitter couch and pats the empty space next to him, inviting Victoria to join him. Well, it’s more like ordering her as he pleases. She obliges.

His lips curl into a devious smile as he speaks “Back to the issue.”

Victoria squirms slightly, not sure where the conversation will take her. But surprisingly, it is not as awkward as she expected “Yes please.”

“ is the best way to solve your sleeping problem” Kyuhyun earnestly explains.

“Says who?” Victoria arches her perfectly trimmed brows, playing with the studded edges of her clutch.

“You really haven’t been around aren’t you?” Kyuhyun adds lightly before turning serious again “It’s been written in one of the most prominent psychology books.”

Looking at him skeptically, Victoria asks further “May I know the title of the book then? I’ll check it online.”

“I have a better idea, why don’t I bring the book to you tonight instead, then we can study it together” Kyuhyun flashes his scheming smirk.

“Are you suggesting something here?” Victoria turns briskly to him, nervously hers already glossy lips “You’re clearly drunk.”

Kyuhyun let out a hearty laughter “Yes, I’m a bit tipsy, but not drunk. Well, it’s the best suggestion wouldn’t you agree? When someone is broken hearted, they don’t really need those self-help books telling ‘He’s Not into You’ stuff. What they need is to gain back the self confidence. Having is the best way to release all those unwanted negative stress and at the same time gain the confidence you need. And the best thing is, with all those workouts and sweats on bed; you’ll sleep like a baby.”

Victoria rolls her eyes “Well, let’s just say I believes your psychology theory… But having casual with you? I don’t think so. You’re my best friend, my ex’s best friend. It’s gonna make things complicated. My life is full of complication. I don’t need another round of rejection, heart break and awkwardness. Especially not form you”

“You think too much” such blunt rejection might hurt other guys, but Kyuhyun is not your typical guy to get discourage over such trivial matter “Let’s go through your list then. I’ll tell you why they are not the right choice.”

She’s emotionally tired and running low of patience. But seeing Kyuhyun out-of-character amuses her. Victoria crosses her legs gracefully before leaning in. Kyuhyun already moves his hand to Victoria’s shoulder, making small circles using his stubby fingers. 

“Well, let’s start with Yunho oppa?” Victoria plays along.

“That would be the worst choice. What you need right now is no-string-attach relationship, friends with benefit. ing your ex’s band-mates will just make things complicated. It’s just as bad as ing your ex”  Kyuhyun states nonchalantly, making Victoria bits her lips in annoyance. “Besides, no offence, but I doubt he could give you the satisfaction you needed.”

“How about Kangta-oppa? I know he fancies me” she boasts.  

“He’s old. Just because he confessed to you like a hundred times, doesn’t mean you should sleep with him” he rolls his eyes “Have some pride will you.”

“How about EXO then? They are the hottest thing right now” Victoria quickly changes the subject.

Kyuhyun let out an evil laughter “Kids.” He shakes his head and continues “Except Kris and Suho, the rest are too immature for your taste. You might consider Kai though. Seeing how passionate he danced on stage, he might surprise you in bed. But he’s underage. Just imagine the scandal that runs with it” Kyuhyun then added “Besides, why are you even considering them when you can get me; a member of Super Junior.”

Victoria ignores his last statement. She is having a hard time to maintain a straight face, but she refuses to give in just yet “I think Kris is cute. Suho seems nice as well.”

“Well, based on your history, getting involve with Suho will only bring you trouble. You might get too attach to him. He’s the grounded, charming, laid back kind of guy; hard not to fall in love with. As for Kris, that guy might not be too kind for your ego. He’s just too pretty” he further explains with such air of confidence.

“He is gorgeous” she nods “How about Shinee then?” Victoria suggests nonchalantly, pulling her vibrated phone from her chunky clutch. An unexpected text from Amber brought her to smile.

“Oh my god, how could you even suggest them?” he exclaims exaggeratedly.

“Huh?” she snorts, trying hard to hide her laughter at Kyuhyun’s remarks.

Kyuhyun waves his hand in the air “I don’t even want to explain it.”

She quickly replies the text and slips the small device back into the clutch laying on her laps and returns her attention towards Kyuhyun “So, based on that, I gather you are saying Super Junior is the best option.”

She thought he’ll be jumping in joy that she finally sees it his way. But to her surprise, Kyuhyun shakes his head denying the answer “No, no, no. I’m not saying Super Junior is the best option for you. I’m saying ‘I AM’ your best choice.”

“You are really full of yourself aren’t you” a soft giggle escapes her rosy tainted lips. Her phone vibrated again but she decides to ignore it “I’ve told you earlier, sleeping with my best friend will just ruin my sanity.”

“Well, just for the fun of it, let’s go through one by one then” Kyuhyun snuggles closer; ignoring the stares and unwanted gossip such sight will create later. “First, there’s Siwon. He’s definitely not for you.”

“And why is that” Victoria query almost too excitedly.

“Well, he may looks like a stallion; but he’s a bit mild in bed. Might not be helpful in getting you to sleep later” he let out his devilish chuckles.

“And you know this from~” Victoria raises her brows, eyeing him dubiously.

“Tsk tsk… Let’s not waste our time on petty details shall we” he replies with a knowing sparkle in his eyes. Then he continues again “And there’s Kangin. He’s not that bad, but not that great either.”

Victoria purses her lips “How about Heechul oppa then? He seems like someone who knows how to have fun”

“He’s gay” Kyuhyun replies a bit too quickly “Zhoumi as well. I’m sure you know about that. And while we are at it, let’s cross out Donghae and Eunhyuk from the list.”

Knowing she will not get any further than that, Victoria continues again “Is Leeteuk oppa gay as well?”

The older guy almost chokes laughing by himself “No, no, no. leader is definitely straight.”

“Aha. Don’t you think he’ll be a suitable choice for me? A responsible and reliable guy” Victoria queries playfully.

“He’s in the army, remember. Yesung-hyung stuck there as well” Kyuhyun adds “Unless you plan for weekend visits. But that will leads to other kind of scandal.”

“Ryeowook and Henry?” she asks, tapping her chin in an act of thinking “I think Sungmin oppa is cute as well.”

“Well, Ryeowook has a crush on you, like forever. I don’t think he’ll be ideal for this type of therapy. Henry and Sungmin are seeing someone exclusively” Kyuhyun speaks with all sense of justice and conviction “And of course Shindong is off the market.”

Victoria heaves deeply “So I guess the only suitable choice is you.”

Kyuhyun replies with a firm nod and a soft squeeze on Victoria’s shoulder.

“Hmm, let’s just say I give in to this crazy theory of yours. I get my confidence back, a good shack and proper sleep. What do you get out of this?” Victoria looks deep into those clear dazzling brown eyes.

Kyuhyun leans closer and whispers “You.”

Silence wraps around them as if they are out of topic of conversation.

She is the first to break the ice “Kyuhyun, why are you here?” Victoria asks, soft and gentle, smiling earnestly at her best friend.

“As I’ve explain, I’m here to help you ease the break up transition better” he replies, pursing his lips thin.

“Amber texted me a while ago” she opens her clutch again and pulls out the device. Finding the mentioned text, she shows it to him. Kyuhyun reaches out and reads it quietly

 

 

From: Amber

 Time: 20;15

 

Henry told me that Changmin and Kyuhyun oppa had a big fight.

Kyuhyun oppa punched him hard. Heard it was because of unnie.

 

 

“Care to explain yourself?” she asks once he’s done reading it.

“He’s a prick” Kyuhyun replies rubbing his fist as he speaks “We had a promise. He supposed to take care of you. He broke that promise.”

“That doesn’t mean you have to break his bones” she let out a soft sigh.

“He’s fine” Kyuhyun answers with a visible pout, staring straight at the vacant seat in front of them "He should think of the consequnces first before ending your relationship."

“Please don’t let your friendship suffer because of me” Victoria rests her palm on his knee “We decided to end it. No one is to blame.”

“I know” he grabs her hand and gives it a squeeze “And don’t worry about us. Boys fight all the time. It’s our way to strengthen the bond. He’s still my best friend.”

“Boys” she shakes her head but her lips twitch upward into a beautiful smile.

They stay in silence for a short while, deep in their own thoughts. Then suddenly Victoria stands up and straightens her back “I finish work at 10pm. We’ll go to my place” she pauses dramatically before adding “No, I’m not going to sleep with you; or with any of the boys. But we’ll have a ‘Bridget Jones Diary’ back to back tonight. You’ll treat me pizza” With that she turns around and walks straight ahead, heading back into the building.

Abruptly Kyuhyun gets to his feet and shouts “My theory works better than those chick-flicks and fast food.”

Victoria didn’t even bother to look back, waving her hand in dismiss. 

Kyuhyun on the other hand is smiling brightly as he stares at his wrist watch wishing the time would fly faster.

 

*********************

Victoria looked kinda sad and lonely lately.

This random plot came in.