Chapter 1

Risou No Musuko - Life after marriage

"it's okay. he is a grown up and he is much more sensible than you think"

 

"you don't understand. we spent 20 years together and faced all sorts of hardships. and for these 20 years, he is all I've got. and now I'm leaving him alone when he hasn't left me alone before."

 

"Dear, you haven't left him too. you just need to give the both of you some space. besides, it's only for 3 weeks."

 

"you don't understand. it's a mutual thing"

 

"shh...lets enjoy this honeymoon okay" the man sealed a kiss on her lips.

 

On the other hand... a young man lay on his bed staring only at the celling above, occasionally a drop of tear will run down his cheeks.

 

He suddenly sat up and rubbed his tears away.

 

Suzuki Daichi is brought up by his single mother. he and his mum are very attached to each other after having gone through a hard life. their kinship is put to the test several times and all of which simply proved their relationship is impenetrable. Daichi has a mother complex and declares his mother as the most important person in his life. until recently, his mother decided to get married to their neighbor. Though he initially opposed the marriage, he eventually gave in and thought life after his mum's marriage isn't that different from before. days ago, they decided to go on a honeymoon for 3 long weeks. the thing is, Daichi and his mum haven't spend that long away from each other before. this is the first and is particularly unbearable.

 

Daichi POV

 

"Daichi~ it's okay. it's just 3 weeks. it'll be over in a blink of an eye" I told myself. Still I sighed and dragged myself to prepare for school. As I walked out of my house, I saw this girl standing outside Minoru's house, looking anxious. She is probably my age, and looks very pretty too. But why is she standing here for? She is so engross on calling somebody on her phone and ringing the doorbell that she didnt notice I was watching.

 

"excuse me~who are you looking for? maybe I can help you?"

 

She turned and looked at me. I can see her eyes filled with tears.

 

"I'm sorry~I" she cried.

 

I walked closer and handed her my handkerchief. 

 

"What is it? I'll help you. Don't worry."

 

"I'm looking for my dad."

 

"here?" I am hoping the answer is no.

 

"yes"

 

I couldn't believe my ears. no way this is true.

 

"You are referring to ???" 

 

"Kurahashi Minoru"

 

The world is collapsing on me, at the same time I am feeling fury. Was he lying to my mum and I all this time. He has a daughter?! Why must my mum go through jerks like this over and over again. my dad is like this, now my new dad is like this as well! 

 

"Excuse me?" she called. "Are you okay?"

 

"uh" I didn't feel like responding. I am beginning to hate her, now that I know who she is.

 

"So... do you know my dad? you are his neighbor right?" it looks like she calmed down but I'm not. But if I'm going to walk away now, it's really quite evil to a girl, especially when she just cried.

 

"Kurahashi Minoru? yes." I replied her coldly.

 

"That's great! where's he? could you let him know I'm here?"she grabbed my hands.

 

"I don't think it's possible at this time.besides, why should I help you?!" I shake her hands off.

 

"huh?"

 

I looked at her and thought about it... why should I suffer the pain myself. she should also feel the pain when she knows what kind of dad he is when he abandoned her for another family. it should be just as painful as my mum and I being cheated.

 

"you know what. your dad, or should I say our dad remarried and is now on a honeymoon with my mum. so now you know. you can leave."

 

"huh? he didn't tell me anything" she looks lost.

 

"he didn't tell us anything about you either. so he probably didn't want you so don't waste your time here waiting" I told her frankly.

 

"he won't do this" tears are welling up in her eyes but my anger stopped me from showing compassion.

 

"oh guess what, he just did. don't act all pitiful here. it doesn't work on me. I'm off to school. bye" I walked away and at the corner of my eye I saw her crouching down and crying. aw, I just made a girl cry. if only she's alittle tougher like Masako-chan, one of my best friends at school and the only girl in an all boys school.

 

Mina POV

 

"Why? Why didn't he tell me anything? Dad ~" I cried to myself.

 

I thought of the guy who talked to me a while ago... why the sudden change of attitude. He was so sweet initially and then he was so hurtful.

 

Now what am I going to do? I have no where to go...

 

Daichi POV

 

"WHAT?! YOU JUST LEFT THAT POOR GIRL ALONE?!" Masako and Kobayashi shouted

 

"Shhh the both of you. Others will think I cheated on my girlfriend. Besides, it was totally reasonable for me to do that in that situation. Please, he has a daughter. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!"

 

"So? Yeah, I sympathised with you, but it's not her fault either. Think about it, when your dad abandoned your mum, there was nothing you can do. You are the victim, so is she." Masako said

 

"Yeah I totally agree. You go girl" Kobayashi supported.

 

Wanikawa and Habu nodded in agreement.

 

"I didn't do that on purpose.. I was too angered" they finally knocked some sense into me. 

 

I walked home regretting what I said to the girl. I think I'm too harsh. Masako was right, that girl she's like me, someone who has no control over the adults' life, someone who can only be the victims of love that didnt work out. another reason why I never accepted those girls' confessions to me at the festival last year when the girl schools visited. I just think that guys are prone to hurt girls and knowing what my mum went through, I just don't want to be the promiser of love, afraid I'll turn out to be one myself.

 

The lift opened at my floor and the sight before me was shocking!

 

I ran towards a girl who sat outside my door with her head buried between her knees. 

 

"Hey, why are you sitting here? since morning?! are you okay?" I bent down and tapped her shoulder and looked at her with sincerity and concern. I feel really guilty to put her through this. if I am her, I'll feel horrible!

 

She looked up, her eyes is swollen from crying, some tears remain at the sides of her eyes...she looked into my eyes earnestly as though she...

 

She pushed herself towards my embrace. we both fell on the ground. she collapsed on me with her head on my chest and cried "I've no where to go~"

 

I tried to sit up but to no avail so I patted her back, trying to stop her from crying. now I feel really sorry... at the same time, I've never had a girl in such close proximity and such skinship. I feel I'm blushing. 

 

She suddenly jerked and sat up. Aside from her eyes, her cheeks was really red. I guess she realized our intimacy just now. haha. (okay, why am I giggling over this)

 

"I'm sorry" we both said at the same time. 

 

I rushed to say "No no, I should be the one. I am utterly rude just now. I'm sorry I made you cry"

 

"No, I've troubled you. I shouldn't have turn up and ruin your family" she cried.

 

I sighed and I did not know what to say. I have totally understood what Masako said.

 

...

Mina POV

 

"Here, have a cup of hot tea. it'll make u feel better" he said

 

"thank you"

 

"hmm. I haven't quite introduce myself. My name is Daichi" 

 

"my name is Mina" I smiled to him. he's back to the initial kind guy and I was captivated by his really sincere character. He looks really charming as well. I have the urge, the sudden compelling need to say...

 

"nee-chan"

 

"nande?" he was obviously shocked.

 

"if my dad remarried to your mum, that makes me your sister isn't it... since it seems to me you are a year my senior, that means you are older" I told him cheekily, totally forgetting the sadness troubling me earlier.

 

"erm... I think so~ it's just weird for me cause I never had a sister and I never expected to have one... but you are not upset anymore?"

 

"he's still my dad irregardless. I don't see him much throughout my 19 years and I don't really want to reunite with him in unhappiness I guess. I was shallow just now, thinking he betrayed me by not telling me anything but I guess it's just too trivial a thing to be upset about."

 

"you guys don't live together?"

 

" I was brought up by my nanny in south korea. my dad occasionally writes to me. I met him twice so far"

 

Daichi looks like he's really listening in. my heart start thumping really fast as I noticed his well-defined features.. his eyes... his nose... his l-i-p-s

 

Daichi POV

 

"huh? aren't you guys father-daughter but why?"

 

"My dad wanted me to study in South Korea so I separated from him since I was 2."

 

But why? oh, wait... perhaps he doesn't want his soon-to-be wife who unfortunately died to know about her so he sent her away.

 

"your mum?"

 

"no one talks about her. I think my mum is either dead or she left my dad... all I've got is my dad"

 

I know what that means. I've only got my mum, Masako-chan only got her dad.. and I'm sure Mina is wrong, she doesn't even 'have' her dad by her side. she's living alone ... I'm in a situation better than her, at least my mum is with me all the while. I masked my sympathy cause I didn't want to make her feel I'm pitying her.

 

"I finished my studies and I wanna come back and stay with my dad" she said excitedly.

 

"I'm sure he'll be happy about it" 

 

Mina POV

 

His smile gives so much assurance that I hear my heart thumping again.

 

"Mina-san are you okay? Your face is so red? Is this a disease, if it is, my friend Masako kept having this symptoms."

 

He's so ignorant yet so funny hahaa. just as he wondered to himself, I've this rashness to say again. 

 

"nee-chan" 

 

"stop calling me that, I'm not used to it. just call me Daichi" he said frustratedly and then smiled warmly at me.

 

....

Daichi POV

 

why do I always end up in this situation ?

 

this is the second time a random girl is sleeping beside me in my house's only bedroom, aside from my mum.

 

seriously... I didn't even have a sleepover with Kobayashi-kun before and yet I 'slept' with 2 girls whom I don't really know.

 

As the night grew quiet and lonely, I tilted my head and saw her sound asleep. I think it's a tiring day for her having known the updates about her dad from a third person's mouth. I smiled at her bravery...

 

"nee-chan" a drop of tear rolled down... (has she been awake, I don't think so... bad dream ?)

 

In the next second, she moved herself right onto my mattress and hugged me tightly as though someone is trying to hurt her.

 

Mina POV

 

I dreamt that my dad is leaving me. I'm afraid. he's my only kin.

 

"Mina~ what is it? whatever it is, you're okay here" i heard his gentle voice. The warmth generated from his body calm my nerves. at this moment, I feel protected. I've never felt anyway like this before. embarrassment is not what I wanna deal with now,I just want to continue this feeling.

 

Daichi POV

 

She didnt reply. instead her grip around my waist got tighter. I wanted to push her away but I saw her shutting her eyes tightly, with tears clogged up between her closed lids, afraid to open up and face reality... I feel sorry, so I stayed... My arms reciprocated, I wrapped my arms around her and the two of us embraced to sleep.

 

Honestly, at this point, this is a feeling I've never felt before. I feel like ... I wanted to protect her.