Like We Used To

Like We Used To

 

She was mine once.

I was once the apple of her eye.

I was once the reason she loved, the reason she lived on.

I was once her pillar of strength, the one she held on to.

She loved me once.

She made me feel invincible, like I could take on anything.

With her by my side, I was indestructible. She was my burst of energy.

She trusted me once.

She confided in me, talked to me about everything, whispered sweet nothings in my ear.

She used to get dolled up, prettied up just for me. And, O, by the Gods, she looked absolutely, heavenly beautiful. She was an angel sacrificed and brought to Earth from the skies above.

We only needed love then.

We needed love to fill in the gaps, to fill in the empty spaces, the hollow crevices.

We needed each other to feel again, to love again. We needed something to ignite that metaphorical fire we both knew time and loss extinguished.

We had such a pure love.

Nobody forced, nobody pushed, and nobody interfered.

We were so perfect for each other. Too perfect. A beautiful flaw Fate made just for me.

But when did the schism start? When did we start falling apart?

Oh, yes. With him.

He was perfect. He was handsome, rich and smart.

He was a nice singer, a great dancer and a stunning intellect.

He was the perfect gentleman any woman would want, was he not?

It was staggering when I first saw the signs.

I saw the way she looked at him. Why couldn’t she look at me with the same emotions anymore? Whatever happened to us, love?

I saw the way he looked at her. They were marred with love that could run deeper that the Marianas Trench, love that could run to the ends of the universe.

His eyes were laced with love that could extinguish the fiercest of fires, freeze the most molten of lava and melt the coldest of hearts. His love for her startled me. Wasn’t I the only one that loved as much as that, love? Was that what captured your heart, princess?

All of a sudden, my love wasn’t enough anymore.

The changes were all but sudden.

She started distancing herself; she retreated inside her mind, never telling me anything.

It was shattering.

She told me she didn’t want to do this anymore. It was hurting her, eating her alive.

She said she didn’t want to hurt me anymore. She didn’t want to prolong the pain, the agonising truth that I was fighting a losing battle.

She was different. It wasn’t the same string girl that I once knew and I thought I knew. She was human—and vulnerable. All her fragile emotions, her porcelain heart, she had exposed to me. And I couldn’t bear to see her hurting anymore.

No. I just couldn’t.

Just like what that movie said, “Some people are meant to fall in love with each other, but not meant to be together.”

I let her go.

I let her run away.

I watched her run into that man’s arms, revelling in the warmth and the love the different man offered her.

I watched her be happy, plunging into a much deeper love while I picked up the pummelled pieces of my heart.

I watched him treat her like a goddess that she really was, showering her with unconditional love and treasuring her like a diamond.

And then one day, she broke the news.

She was getting married. For real.

She cried while informing me. I cried with her. She, with tears of love, joy, unadulterated happiness and relief.

I cried with tears of sorrow, loss and... regret.

She wasn’t mine anymore.

And she will never be mine again.

You see, I am Cho Kyuhyun, the best man. I am best friend and former love of the bride, Victoria soon-to-be Horvejkul.

A love once lost is lost forever.


Hey guise. Remember me? Kkkkk. It's been what... 3 months? I decided to drop by and give you guise a one-shot, as proof that I am not dead... yet. :D Enjoy. ;) Please comment. Need constructive criticism.