Winter is the warmest season

Without Winter, there can be no Spring.

“Kai dear, you’re late." A pretty middle-aged lady dressed in summery yellow dress, with a flimsy floral apron around her tiny waist opened the door eagerly, stepping aside to invite her guest in.  "Come in. Come in. It must be freezing out there. I thought Sehun was supposed to pick you up from the station?” 

Clad in a dark blue jacket, hiding his favorite t-shirt paired with his vintage jeans, Kai nodded politely, handing his host a medium sized silver box, "Yeah, but then I could not pick this up for you if he did." He took off his beanie and shoved it into his jacket’s pocket.

Her eyes brightened as she carefully lifted the box's lid “Ah my favorite cream puffs. You're so sweet.”

But before Kai could reply, loud footsteps were heard rushing down the staircase followed by Sehun's squeaky voice "Are you seducing my mom with desserts again?"

"Well, at least he knows how to treat a lady" she smacked her son's head playfully before disappearing into the kitchen, singing softly to the tune of the TV commercials that came from the other room. Kai took off his jacket, allowing Sehun to hang it in the closet.

Sehun pouted slightly, comfortably clinging around Kai’s shoulders.  “Sometimes I feel she loves you more than me."

"I feel the same way too" Kai replied with a smug smile before breaking into a light laughter as Sehun’s foot accidently banged into a side table when he tried to kick Kai.

The guy wailed painfully, hopping on his other foot trying to ease the throbbing. But then, Kai lost his balance, dragging Kai along as they crashed into the wall in a compromising position.

Kai’s giggles turned into moans. Both were still frowning in pain when a voice came out of nowhere “Am I interrupting something? Or should I get my camera?”

Kai looked up, blinking confusedly at the towering stranger who was standing at the top of the stairs staring amusedly at him. Clad in comfortable oxford green vest over a crisp white shirt, clean shaven and not a single strand of hair out of place, he looked like he just stepped out from a photo op. He looked familiar but Kai could not put a name to the handsome taunting face. Feeling the warm sensation creeping on his cheeks as their eyes met, Kai quickly wiggled himself away from Sehun.

 “I fell onto him” Sehun explained as he pulled himself up, extending his hands to Kai.

“How convenient” the guy replied with a knowing smile, retracing his footsteps.

Sehun sighed deeply “You still remember my cousin don’t you?” he asked, leading Kai to his room.

“Cousin?” Kai bit his lips as he tried to recall the familiar face.

“Yup. We went to his brother’s wedding in Guangzhou last year.” Sehun answered as he pushed the door open. “The guy who insisted to give his best man’s speech in English even though no one can understand him” Sehun added as he rolled his eyes. “Well, he just returned from Canada, saying something about finding his true love. I bet uncle threw him out for something atrocious again.”

“How about this one?” the guy ignored Sehun’s remark, holding a black and silver striped shirt out.

Kai quirked his brows, observing the fluffy honey brown locks softly covering the guy’s deep brown eyes, as he hesitantly answered “Wu Yi Fan?”

“Glad you still remember me. You can call me Kris though” he continued ransacking the closet, pulling another flashy looking t-shirt “This one?”

“I’m not going clubbing, for god’s sake” Sehun snapped, signaling Kai to sit on the carpeted instead floor since the bed was haphazardly covered with mountain of clothes “Something simple will do.

“You’re boring” the guy tossed the shirts onto the pile; wrapped his long arms around his chest in protest.

“And you’re not helping at all. Lucky Kai’s here now” Sehun brushed his older cousin aside.

“I’m glad he’s here too” Kris winked at Kai.

The younger guy frowned but turned his attention to Sehun who held out a white jersey for his inspection “How about this one?”

“Too predictable” Kai replied, walking towards the two, scanning over the messy closet “I’ll go with white shirt, if I’m you” he pulled a slightly crumpled off-white shirt with light floral print detail on the edges “But I think you should do some ironing first.”

Sehun was about to reply when his phone rang. He quickly scanned the text message “I can’t. She’s here” He grabbed the white shirt, buttoning it as he rushed out from the room leaving his two guests stunned.

“What’s so great about today?” Kris walked over and leaned on the wooden door frame, arms crossed, rolling his eyes as he listened to Sehun’s excited voice echoed, greeting his new guest.

He didn’t know why, but Kai was getting a bit nervous being alone with the guy. The room somehow feel too small for them “Well, it’s the first time he’s going to introduce Krystal to his parents. It is a big deal for him” Kai replied quietly trying to stay calm, folding the t-shirts neatly and arranging them in one corner.

“I still don’t get it. I brought girls to my place all the time. That doesn’t mean I should call for a family dinner for each one of them, right?” Kris turned his gaze to Kai, challenging him with his piercing eyes.

“Well, I guess it’s different in Canada” Kai replied, trying his best not to roll his eyes at the arrogant comment from the other “Why don’t you go ahead? I’ll sort out the room a bit” Kai started to sort the pile, ignoring the intense stare the other guy was giving him.

“You hate me don’t you?” he said curtly.

Kai was startled but he simply pursed his lips, trying to find a suitable answer “I don’t even know you, to have such a strong feeling as hate.”

“Ouch” ignoring Kai’s politically correct answer, Kris asked another question “Why are you doing this?” he then walked towards Kai, deliberately sat on the bed, forcing the younger guy’s attention on him.

“Just in case Krystal suddenly wanted to check Sehun’s room later” Kai answered, amazed his voice was still calm despite the sudden throbbing in his chest.

“That’s not my question” he bounced off the bed and took the clothes Kai had diligently sorted, carrying it off and swiftly dumped the whole stack at the bottom of the closet, smirking devilishly at Kai flabbergasted state.

He was about to repeat the action when Kai stopped him immediately “Hey stop it. You’re making a mess. Let me do it instead.”

“You’re neither his wife nor his mother” Kris scoffed “What others think of his messy bedroom is none of your business.”

“What’s wrong with you?” Kai snapped, pushing Kris away from the neatly folded clothes. His voice quivered incredulously “Why are you purposely picking fight with me?”

“You love him don’t you” Kris said indifferently, brushing the startled Kai aside as he grabbed and tossed another batch of clothing in. He kicked the closet’s door close and locked it.

“I do not” Kai stammered, his face heated up, angry that Kris, someone he considered a stranger, was able to read his deepest thoughts.

“I saw the way you looked at him during the wedding” Kris replied quietly, eyes fixed on the flustered younger guy “You’ve always love him, don’t you? And that doesn’t even know about it”  

****************

Dinner was excellent as Sehun’s mom prepared all her best dishes, insisting that Kai and Krystal try it all, but jokingly warned Sehun and Kris that they should watched over their waistlines instead.

Sehun’s dad was very endearing, sharing endless jokes with Krystal who tried her best to laugh at all of them. Sehun tried to stop him halfway through dinner, but failed miserably. But lucky for them, his older brother, Luhan, came back just in time for a full blown lecture on time management from the devoted father.

Everything was great and everyone seemed so relaxed, except for the tense aura oozing between Kai and Kris who were seated next to each other. Lucky for them, everyone seemed too busy with their own conversations to notice it.

 “Coffee, anyone?” the kind host called out, putting the freshly-cut mix fruits on the coffee table as everyone settled in the living room.

“I’m good” Kai replied swiftly, taking his seat at one of the corners “I need to sleep early tonight.”

“I’ll have one” Kris answered as he settled next to Luhan who was busy harassing his brother’s girlfriend. Kris’s eyes were fixed on the younger guy, knowing well the other was trying to avoid him. 

“Can I help you out?” Krystal offered but she quickly declined. She returned soon after, carrying colorful mugs of some fragrant beverage and a plate of the cream puffs.

“So, tell me, how did you guys met?” Luhan asked Krystal cheerfully.

“We went to the same French language class” Krystal sheepishly replied, taking a sip of her coffee. “Sehun was assigned as my class partner.”

“Then he wooed you with his French. Oh, that’s so romantic” Luhan teased his lil brother further, earning him his famous death glare.

“Why are you taking French class?” Kris asked Sehun bluntly.

The other guy rolled his eyes “Why not?”

With a devilish smirk, Kris nodded approvingly. He took another sip of his coffee before directing his sparkling eyes to Kai again “I’m more interested to know how you met Kai though. You guys seem so different to me.”

“They are” Luhan chipped in “I have been wondering the same thing.”

The younger guy bit his lips, annoyed that Kris called him with such sense of familiarity as if they’ve known each other well.

Sehun sighed at his cousin’s antics, knowing Kai’s pet peeve well “We went to the same college. Hit it well from the start and become best friends. We even ended up in the same club.”

“You wouldn’t believe which club they were in” Luhan exclaimed, laughter erupted as he gleefully announced, slapping Kris’s upper arm as if he just made the biggest joke for the night.

“Hyung…” Kai grumbled in protest, hating how Kris was mocking him with his haughty smile.

A soft chuckle escaped from Krystal which Sehun rewarded her with his famous pout, whining exaggeratedly.

As for Kris, he provoked Kai further “That sounds so gay.”

“Well, at least we have real activities” Sehun snapped, throwing a limp cushion at Kris’s direction “Right, Kai?”

“I guess, we just have a different definition of what’s a club is compared to Kris” Kai added with a stubborn pout.

“Burn… ” Luhan happily added fuel to the fire.

“I see” Kris replied apathetically, plopping the cushion on his lap “And you know what, I would love to show you my definition of clubs.”

“Kris! That sounds nasty” Luhan playfully shoving Kris and threw the pillow towards his brother’s direction.

“Stop it with the pillow fight” the madam of the house quickly interrupted, worried over her expensive vases.

Then her husband added “Sehun, you mentioned earlier about making an announcement right?”

“Is it a promotion?” his mother quickly interjected, beaming excitedly.

“A different type of promotion I guess” Sehun replied, extended his hands to Krystal. Kai noticed the adoring stare the two shared, feeling his stomach tying into a knot, sensing something bad will happen. Both Sehun and Krystal then stood up swiftly, smiling at the expectant crowd “We’re engaged.”

It was the unexpected news Kai had always dreaded, wishing he was not there to receive it. His mouth felt dry, eyes trained on his feet. Taking a deep breath.

Sehun’s parents were so happy, they were clinging to their son and happily welcoming the soon to be daughter-in-law with the warmest hug. Luhan grabbed his phone and snapped the happy scene and forwarded it to their other close relatives over the great news.

Kai froze his corner when he suddenly felt a light squeeze on his shoulder. He slowly lifted his head and saw Kris soft eyes, encouraging. Kai shut his eyes tight, wanting to wake up from the nightmare. A moment later, he finally opened his eyes as he took a glimpsed at the happy couple, painfully accepting the bitter reality.

Sehun’s smile was the brightest he had ever seen. And Kai told himself, that was enough for him. His legs were slightly shaky, but with the little strength Kris gave him, he carefully walked towards Sehun, extending his hands out “Congratulations.”

His best friend’s smile grew wider, eyes sparkled brightly. Instead of taking the offered hand, Sehun pulled Kai into his arms, hold him tight “Thanks, Kai. Thanks for always staying by my side. Will you be my best man?”

Kai wanted to say yes, knowing that’s the only answer for him. But he was afraid his voice will betray him, feeling the warm droplets he tried so hard to hold back finally grazed down his cheeks. He his lips, salty “I’m…”

Suddenly his body was jerked away, pulled by a sturdy force. He snapped his head in the direction, seeing Kris’s strong grip securing around his arms, yanking him away from Sehun.

“This call for a celebration” Kris announced grimly, dragging Kai out from the living room, ignoring the curious stares the others were giving them.

“Where are you guys going?” Sehun asked urgently, staring at Kai’s red eyes worriedly.

Kris pushed Kai out of the house indignantly “Kai and I going out to get some wine.”

************