Chapter 17

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho had been glancing a lot to the girl in front of him. She walked barefoot and quiet— wind playing mildly with her hair. It was hard to read her mind as he brought her to the place for their ‘hang out’. He was sure that she needed this, but wasn’t sure if she was ready for this.

“Why are you so quiet?” Minho asked.

She kept walking few steps ahead of him, sinking her feet to the water. She drifted her eyes toward the horizon and stayed still for few seconds before she turned to him, “Is this where you want to hang out.”

He stepped to the water and mimicked her. He saw lots of blue water and lots of golden sand. Yes, this was where he wanted her to go with him. A beach. “Yep.”

She pulled her eyes to her feet, watching the waves lightly washed over her. “Care to elaborate?”

He felt like he should go big or go home. “The last time you saw him was at the beach, right? During the school trip?”

When she didn’t answer, he continued. “I want you to give you more memories about this place. A happy one.”

“Why would I need that?”

“Because if you don’t have a new one, you’ll always remember your last moment with him. Every time you’ll see this place, you’ll always think why couldn’t you be kinder to him, why couldn’t you tell him that he was the best friend you’ve ever had, why couldn’t you ask how was he feeling at that time… you’ll always wonder about Sehun and not moving on.”

She took a deep breath and smiled sadly, didn’t say anything for few minutes. He knew he was right, and she knew it too.

“So you think you can give me a memorable one?” she looked at me.

“Of course,” he said confidently.

“Like, how?” she raised her eyebrows.

“Like this!” he raced toward her and attacked her knees, carrying her as he ran toward the beach.  When he was knee deep, he threw her to the water.

She yelped and breathlessly trying to resist the gravity. She was way too late and drenched. “Choi Minho, you jerk!”

He laughed, trying to be a gentleman by helping her stood. She grabbed his hand gently, only to suddenly jerk him to the water. Beside him, she was laughing, satisfied that he was way more drenched than her.

He smiled and looked at her lit up face— longer than he should. There were a lot of things that he missed about her— and her laugh was definitely one of them.

She stopped her laugh when she realized that he was looking at her. “What’s wrong?”

“You were laughing,” Minho blurted out. “I miss it.”

He smirked as he saw blush crept out of her face. They were sitting side by side— drenched from the waves and all sands. But he didn’t care. All he care that she looked as carefree as he hope she could be.  There was a glint of uncertainty in her eyes, but she would get over it.

So he told her the truth that she needed to hear. “I didn’t know Sehun like you or Jongin did. But I feel sure enough to tell you that he had a great life because of you. He was grateful and you were the best person he’d ever had. He had a fair share of lifetime happiness, all because of you.”

“How would you know?”

“Because I had too, all because of you.”

The cloud in her eyes was gone, being replaced with a soft smile that totally reached her eyes. She was smiling, and it was genuine.

 Feeling happier than he’d ever been, Minho splashed the water to her once again before running as fast as he could. Soojung was following him furiously as she tried to get some waters on him.

Hearing her unending laugh, Minho was sure that he totally gave her a great memories.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Here,” Minho put a cup of warm coffee to her hands as he took a seat in front of her. They spent the entire day walking around and when their clothes were dried enough, they entered the closest coffee shop they could find.

“Thank you,” Soojung took it gratefully.

“It’s just a cup of coffee,” Minho rolled his eyes.

She drifted her eyes toward the street. “Not this, I mean… thank you for bringing me there.”

He couldn’t contain his smile, proud and satisfied. “Anything.”

“If only you were half as amazing as this years ago,” she snorted lightly.

“Oh, so we’re going to talk about this now?” he dared. He knew that she was talking about the time when they were in relationship.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter