Chapter 3

Under Wisteria Tunnel

Finally! Teehee...

Well, I don't have any particular words to say. So, without further ado, I hope you enjoy this chapter.

:)

 

----------------

 

Four months later, the garden was sixty percent done. The Kentucky bluegrass they installed on the beginning of the project started to grow evenly. Sunny climbed up the iron black steps they installed to get to the upper terrain. She greeted the hired workers who were working on both sides of the iron railing, planting young sedums of  baker-miller pink, raspberry pink and liseran purple and red-violet color, with that pretty smile of her.

 

The sun was already high on the sky, so she headed back to the hotel. Besides, one of hotel staff she met on her way back told her that Sungmin had just arrived from his Seoul trip and she wanted to surprise him.

 

After the whole designs were completed, she decided to start accepting another projects, although she was being selective not to accept huge project that needed much attention nor overseas project. However, she kept flying now and then to Jeju, just to check on the progress and make sure that the workers and appointed gardeners did just correctly. Concerning her works, she was strict, perfectionist and possessive. Traits of hers that was already acknowledged by many in her field.

 

After she confirmed his whereabouts with another staff she happened to meet halfway, Sunny went straight to his office floor. She just stepped out of elevator and turned around the corner when she saw Sungmin was standing in the corridor with his back facing her. He seemed to be on the phone, business call perhaps. Sunny waited until he finished talking before swiftly sneaking right behind him and covered his eyes from behind. An act which strained her actually, for she had to tiptoed thanks to her height. Sungmin, being taken aback by the gesture, acted instinctively. He yanked her hands and twisted her wrist which made her spun to the front. Feeling a jab of pain on her wrist, Sunny let out a whimper.

 

"Sunny?" Sungmin's eyes widened. He quickly let go of Sunny's hand. "I'm sorry. I never thought it's you. I thought I was attacked."

 

Sunny rubbed her wrist with her other hand. She winced, "Who would attack you in your own hotel?" A tinge of annoyance was in her tone. Not because he hurt her, but more to a dawning realization of her being foolish and childish. It was utterly sensible that he wouldn't recognize such gesture, knowing that they only knew each other for around five months.

 

"I don't know. I moved instinctively. I'm so sorry. Are you hurting somewhere?" he asked worriedly, trying to hold her wrist to examine it himself. Sunny let him did so. "It's reddened. Come. Let's get into my office. There are ice cubes in the fridge."

 

He ushered Sunny in, settling her on the leather sofa of cream-colored. He then went to the fridge to take some ice cubes and wrapped it in his hanky. "Give me your hand," he instructed her when he sat himself on the sofa beside her. She obliged and let him cradle her wrist gently. He lightly tapped the freezing ice cubes on her reddened wrist. "My... I really am sorry for this."

 

"Don't be. I am the one who act foolish and childish." She closed her eyes, enjoying the coolness from the ice cubes soothing the hot red mark on her wrist.

 

"I thought you won't come until next month. That's why I didn't expect you being around."

 

"You know how I am."

 

"A shorty Hitler who bosses around, you mean?"

 

"Hitler?" The nickname caught her off guard. "What's that?"

 

"Oh, just an affectionate name I heard somewhere," said Sungmin with a glint of mischief.

 

"Huh? Who calls me that?" Sunny asked. She clearly hadn't heard that nickname before.

 

"Should I tell you or should I tell you not?" He teased. The smirk on his face obviously showed how much he enjoyed the teasing, as usual.

 

"Yah!" She jerked her hand which felt all better now.

 

Sungmin grinned, "I talked with Mrs. Kim about the garden some time ago and she mentioned how you are the typical Hitler leader."

 

Sunny raised one eyebrow. "Mrs. Kim?" She repeated questioningly. "Oh, she's so dead this afternoon."

 

"Hey, no violence is prohibited here," he jokingly said. "By the way, I just realized how bad I am as a host. I haven't taken you around. "

 

She chortled. "It's nor like I've never been here before. I've visited Teddy Bear Museum when I was young. Beside, I'm here to work, Mr. Lee, not to play."

 

"What answer is that? No, I'm taking you out now. You do have any other clothes other than loose t-shirt and slacks, right?"

 

She looked at him, "Seriously? But I'm thinking to work on the garden again."

 

"I'm not taking no for an answer. Besides, I don't want to be sued for overworking an underage. Come on, we're having a lunch date, it is," he grabbed her hand and pulled her to stand up.

 

"Yah! Whom do you called underage?!" protested sunny.

 

"Why are you yelling so often lately? My eardrums could burst any time soon," he rubbed his left ear with his left hand. He dragged Sunny out of his office, "Let's get you to your room and changed your clothes."

 

"Why are you such a pushover lately?"

 

"Whatever. I'm hungry."

 

That entire afternoon, Sunny spent her time exploring Jeju Folk Village with Sungmin. The conversation they had as they stroll around, erased her thought about the garden. Just like any other time when they spent time together, they enjoyed each other company and that alone made them lost in the world that only them were belonged.

 

***

 

It was two weeks after her last visit to his resort and after their time together strolling down the Folk Village. Sungmin was lounging on the cushy blue sofa in her suite room, fiddling with his cell phone. He was waiting for her to get ready.

 

That evening was the soft opening event for his resort and he wanted her to be there. She was the mastermind behind what would be the greatest attraction in his resort after all. And he was so proud about that fact.

 

He glanced at his wristwatch for the umpteenth time. Not out of worry of being late for the opening ceremony, but rather an unconscious habit of him while waiting. He was about to walk over to the balcony when he heard the door creaked open.

 

"Do you wait too long?"

 

Sungmin spun around to find Sunny standing in front of her bedroom entrance, looking aglow. Her caramel colored hair was curled loosely and its locks fell perfectly on her shoulder. She pinned a lock of hair to the side of her head. The Versace's body-skimming black dress looked just stunning on her, accentuated her feminine curve despite showing minimum skin. It was a simple black dress which touched her knee and with elbow length sleeves, yet it was an elegant dress after all. The pink rose art deco jewelry belt on her tiny waist added elegance to her look, along with the matched gold accessories she put on her neck and right wrist.

 

"Sungmin?" called Sunny, breaking his temporary trance.

 

Feeling embarrassed inside that she caught him starring, he tried to mask it with a wolf whistle.

 

"What are you whistling for?" Sunny asked, slightly annoyed at first, for she thought such act was kind of vulgar.

 

"You're looking elegant and y at the same time," he complimented her earnestly. "I bet every head in the party will turn to you. And I can't be an even luckier guy to be able to walk with you."

 

Sunny blushed, adding a layer of color to her already rosy cheek. "Thank you. You're not bad as well. I'm sure every ladies will gawk at you." She complimented his look in sleek black suit and thin tie.

 

"Come on, let's have them ogling at us," he said while offering his arm for her to linked. She pleasantly did so.

 

They came down to the lobby where all the guests were assembled for a brief tour around the resort before the actual soft opening party. Since it was a business matter after all, those two put up a professional front and treated each guests with great hospitality. They enjoyed the party, yet they were not enjoying it the way the guests were. The event left them mentally exhausted afterwards, playing as people person, however not without satisfaction. The guests were pleased. They complimented on how beautiful the resort and how interesting the garden would be once it finished. Those guests, most of them were influential individual, pledged to come and stay in his resort once every little thing in that resort was settled.

 

"The event went well," commented Sunny after the two of them sent off the last guests home, who were actually their parents.

 

"Yep. Such a relief," he said. He checked on his wristwatch. It was just a few minutes past ten. "The night's still young. Care to join for a glass or two of good red wine?"

 

"Why not," she accepted the offer gladly.

 

She waited for him to have a word with his staff members, thanking them for their hard work that night before they headed back to his suite. He stayed on the far east wing on the top floor of the resort. A personal dwelling he preferred when he was not away somewhere in other cities or countries.

 

During her nearly five months knowing him, never once she set foot on his dwelling. It was always him visited her in her room or she visited her in his office. Now that she was inside, she noticed how tidy the room was. His dwelling was actually another suite room just like Sunny's, transformed into a more homey unit with different furniture adorned inside.

 

"Do you have room service clean for you?" she asked.

 

"Nope. I cleaned it myself," he answered. He went to the wine rack on the other side of the room and took a bottle red wine of a considerable good year. He also took two rounder wine glass from the cabinet right beside the rack and brought them to the balcony. He gestured Sunny to follow him with a jerk of his head.

 

"Wow, such a view," admired Sunny once she saw the moonlight was illuminated gently on the dark sea water. In the far left, light from a lighthouse was circling around, providing guidance to the daring ships which cross the water at night. She turned her body to face Sungmin.

 

"Beautiful right?" He uncorked the wine bottle and poured the red liquid into their glasses which was set on a small table. The sweet aroma of the wine enticed Sunny's senses, making her her lips unintentionally. An act which he did not miss. An act which he found sensual, especially when it was done by a set of plump lips like hers. "Here," he raised both glasses and handed one to her.

 

She took the glass and raised it, "Cheers for the success of Le Jardin ahead." She clinked her glass to Sungmin's before sipping the red liquid. The sweet aftertaste lingered on her tongue, making her involuntarily her lips for the second time.

 

"Cheers for your beautiful creation and your career in the future," he responded, raising his glass again and clinked it with hers for another good intention toast. "Thank you for accompanying me in this event. I know you are getting busier nowadays."

 

"Ah, don't mention. It's also my pleasure. I love seeing the guests satisfied expression while touring around this resort. Most importantly, I love knowing that they like my landscape design when you gave presentation about the idea." she stared into his eyes for a moment before turning her body to lean forward on the balcony's black iron railing. She twirled her glass in her hand, enjoying that moment. "Besides, it's always nice coming back here."

 

"This place's proven to be your stress reliever, isn't it?" he asked, while doing the opposite of what Sunny did, leaning his side against the balcony railing to get a better view of her face.

 

Sunny nodded before turning her head  to him, staring into his eyes once again. His dark orbs twinkling as the light from the lighthouse fall passed by, her in. As if in trance, they inched closer unconsciously, letting the gap between them grew less and less, until there were none. Sunny closed her eyelids as Sungmin's lips gently touched hers. The tugs were timid and tender at first, yet it grew more intense by the second. Without letting go of her, he put his glass on the table, took hers and put hers along. Sunny slowly draped her arms around his neck, pulling him even deeper while Sungmin secured his one arm on the small of her back and another on the nape of her neck, supporting her. Feeling each other warm breath inside their caves, made the kiss even urgent. Tongues were dancing, tugs were fiercer, hands were unconsciously roaming around.

 

It was when Sungmin wet hot breath met the delicate skin behind her ear that whatever self-control they clung to before were set to loose. The needs to be in each other embrace overtook any senses left.

 

***

 

The sound of distant rolling waves woke him up the next morning. It appeared that he left the window opened, so the ocean breeze blew in, sending the light material gordyn to fly up and down and up again in delicate motion. He blinked sleepily a couple of time, adjusting his eyes to the bright light seeping in from the opened window. The warmth on his side reminding him of the scene from last night. It had been too long since he felt that good. He shifted his body a bit so he could take a better look on the petite lady sleeping in his arms. She slept on her side, facing him, her head was on his arm. He placed a finger on her forehead, air touching it and trailing the finger down to her nose, her parted lips, her chin, then he went to her cheek gently, only to trail again to her ear, down to the base of her neck, her collarbone, her shoulder, and down her arms. He was feeling the contour of her body. The touch left a tingling sensation on her skin which made her stir from her sleep. She opened one eye, peeking at him then closed her eyes again. However, she smiled instead.

 

"Good morning," she muttered. The smile didn't left her lips.

 

"Good morning," he responded. His hand traveled back to her cheek. "Sunny, listen. . ."

 

"No. If you mean to apologize, then stop. I don't want to listen," she shot her eyes open and cut him mid-sentence.

 

"I. . ."

 

"No, Sungmin. We both know that we're not drunk last night. There's nothing to apologize for. It was great. So, don't ruin the morning," she said as if knowing what he was thinking.

 

Sungmin sighed, defeated. After a moment, he leaned in to peck her on the lips, "Yes, it was great. Thank you."

 

"You're welcome." Sunny sneaked her arms around his waist, pulling herself closer to him and let herself being carried to a dream land once again. Unable to move nor get up with Sunny hugging him like a cute Koala, he relented. It was Sunday anyway, he thought, absent-mindedly caressing the small of her back and drifted off to sleep once again.

 

Ever since that particular night, whenever Sunny had to stay in the resort, she would sleep in Sungmin's room, or the other way round. To this point, one could say that they were close enough to be called an item, yet their relationship was actually not progressing. Neither of them were brave enough to bring up the subject. Neither of them were brave enough to take a further step.

 

Meanwhile, they were getting even busier with their works that they hardly had time for themselves, let alone for romance. They were at the golden age of their youth. There were a lot to achieve in their lives, and they were not ready to make sacrifices.

 

As the time went by, they gradually grew apart.