I Don't Know

I Don't Know

 

 

"Hey." she started. "I know you're doing what I'm doing right now."

Amber didn't get a reply right away, but she could imagine the soft, tired smile on his face right now, as he was struggling to make out the right words to say.

"I don't know."  he finally answered, his voice calm and composed, "What are you doing right now?"

She chuckled at his stocky reply and decided to play along, "Nothing. Just sitting here, on the floor, againt the wall."

It was very faint, but Amber could hear him smiling. He was doing the same, she knew it. Leaning helplessly against the wall, recharging himself. He was always like this on a very bad day, and even without barging into his room, she could map what scatters around him as he absorbed the coldness of the wall. His phone, his wallet, and his favorite ragged doll lying somewhere around his socks or under the bed, after being squished over and over until he felt better.

"What should we have for dinner?" Amber asked, after a long, sleepy pause between them.

"I don't know."

He repeated them again. Amber knew he was just being lazy. Key never has to struggle when making decisions. He has always been the quick one, the 'I-know-what-I-want' kind of guy. 

"Stop saying that, dude. Get up. Get your off the floor." she said, turning her face to the wall, as if her words could cut through.

This time, she heard a real laugh from him. "Oh, Amber.." she heard him saying, and just like everytime, she knew he would stare to the ceiling, laughing frantically until he needed to breath again. He would send her a text message, explaining everything that happened to him today. 

He was still laughing behind the wall as a text message popped on her phone screen. "Give me a minute." she said to him, sliding her screen, ready to see what had gone wrong for her friend today.

"I know what you're doing right now. You're on the floor, your hair's a mess. Your phone and wallet are next to you as you leaned to the wall, thinking I'm doing the same. But unfortunately, I'm not. Why would I sit on the floor when I can lay on my comfy bed? Silly."

At that instance, Amber got off the floor. She faced the wall, dumbfounded. 

Another message appeared, and she read it again. "So, what do you want for dinner?"

Amber pressed her forehead to the wall, smiling. It was herself all along. She thought what she wanted him to be doing. Because being on the floor alone, . Because maybe, sharing a wall with him to lean on was going to make herself feel better. 

"I don't know." she chuckled, "You decide."

She waited for another reply to her phone, but nothing came up. "Hello?" she knocked the wall a few times, and finally heard him say, "Yeah, I'm still here," he paused before answering, "..and I think we should have jajjangmyeon today. At the usual place?"

"Sounds good." she said, chuckling at herself. She thought she knew him, but he knew her better. It was always him.

"You can tell me everything at dinner," he said, "or do you want to talk now?"

Slowly, she sat back on the floor, resting her back again against the cold wall. "Can you sit behind me now..?"

She heard the rustling of his bed sheets as he got up, stepping closer to the wall. His bare feet tapping the sleek wooden floor lazily as he scratched his head.

This time, a thud behind her was heard, and she was sure he was now sitting on the floor, against her wall. 

This time, she knew she was right. 

"Okay, I'm right behind you now."

***

 

Hope you enjoyed it~

I guess I'm just feeling blue at the moment XD

Thanks for reading!

Leave your thoughts below and let me know what you think~^^